Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,552 members, 7,837,112 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:11 PM

Eating Too Much Of These 9 Nigerian Foods May Kill You - Food (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Eating Too Much Of These 9 Nigerian Foods May Kill You (101804 Views)

Pretty Foreign Lady Tries Different Nigerian Foods For The 1st Time (pics/video) / Rare Pictures Of Nigerian Foods Shown In The Most Tantalizing Way / What Are Low Carb Nigerian Foods? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Eating Too Much Of These 9 Nigerian Foods May Kill You by star4ever: 9:27pm On Apr 05, 2019
kallmemrB:
If you remove all this food from Nigeria meals... Pls wetin remain... Is eba and rich egusi not better than chicken and chips... My grandfather died at 92...if eba will kill me at that age then am on with it

Honestly, i tire o!
Re: Eating Too Much Of These 9 Nigerian Foods May Kill You by AngelicBeing: 9:28pm On Apr 05, 2019
kallmemrB:
If you remove all this food from Nigeria meals... Pls wetin remain... Is eba and rich egusi not better than chicken and chips... My grandfather died at 92...if eba will kill me at that age then am on with it
Gbam grin

Re: Eating Too Much Of These 9 Nigerian Foods May Kill You by slinkky(m): 9:28pm On Apr 05, 2019
Now that you have listed what may kill us if we eat, list the alternative healthy food also. Or do expect Nigerians to eat leafs and water? Its hunger that is killing people. OP can you look into the eyes of a man that hasn't eaten for two days and tell him when he finally has a bowl of EBA and egusi before him, to put it away because it may kill him.
Re: Eating Too Much Of These 9 Nigerian Foods May Kill You by HimName: 9:30pm On Apr 05, 2019
Na to kuku dey carry tank of water for head follow body since e b say no food b food again.
Re: Eating Too Much Of These 9 Nigerian Foods May Kill You by Jowanson: 9:30pm On Apr 05, 2019
Omo see people wey dey view this post sha....You don't joke with people's food o...see crowd!

Op....you are in trouble o! grin grin

You better come and appease their mindset o.
Anyway eat moderately !

Some football match sef no get this kain crowd
Re: Eating Too Much Of These 9 Nigerian Foods May Kill You by mikejj(m): 9:31pm On Apr 05, 2019
grin grin op I no talk anything i hand you over to lefulefu
Re: Eating Too Much Of These 9 Nigerian Foods May Kill You by ikwutasco(m): 9:32pm On Apr 05, 2019
lols tell d Dr dat make we just d drink water na
Re: Eating Too Much Of These 9 Nigerian Foods May Kill You by Timblaze(m): 9:33pm On Apr 05, 2019
op, pls just tell us not to eat in Nigeria again. because we will die. grin
Re: Eating Too Much Of These 9 Nigerian Foods May Kill You by Nobody: 9:33pm On Apr 05, 2019
mikejj:
grin grin op I no talk anything i hand you over to lefulefu
no mind op jor.he want us to be eating beans everyday and be gassing all those killer mess.
Re: Eating Too Much Of These 9 Nigerian Foods May Kill You by nextstep(m): 9:34pm On Apr 05, 2019
davien:
Most of these health pointers have either been debunked or are being questioned as the 4 areas of food science are still learning.. Epidemiology, basic science, centenarian studies and clinical trials are reviewing all these old knowledge.

Thank you. A great deal of damage has been done by western "scientists" in demonizing our foods.

First they said palm oil was bad, now they say it's full of antioxidants and when consumed as part of a balanced diet, has no increased risk over other oils. Guess what oyinbo were trying to sell to us in the 70's 80's 90's? Soybean + corn oil (which we call vegetable oil), so they needed to damage our own.

Not strictly used for food (though my Mom taught us how to cook with it back during austerity days '84): Shea butter. It's a plant oil just like olive, corn, palm, sesame, avocado, etc, so nobody look at me funny.

I remember when Shea butter was demonized as bad for you, unhealthy, local. Guess what "they" were trying to sell us: petroleum jelly (aka Vaseline); as in its derived from the same petroleum that is in petrol... talk about bad for you. Nowadays, shea butter is sold in the finest boutiques around the world as natural, organic, healthy, anti-aging, anti-oxidant, etc. Anybody with a brain would have realized it since we've been using it for centuries and have beautiful skin, but again, we let our minds be used against our own things.

So anytime I see a study - particularly from western scientists - about how bad our foods or oils are, I view that "study" with very skeptical eyes, and expect them to reverse their position within 10 - 20 years.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Eating Too Much Of These 9 Nigerian Foods May Kill You by TemmyT002(m): 9:35pm On Apr 05, 2019
Comot there
Re: Eating Too Much Of These 9 Nigerian Foods May Kill You by Liftme(f): 9:35pm On Apr 05, 2019
I can never joke with my EBA cool
Re: Eating Too Much Of These 9 Nigerian Foods May Kill You by holyeye1989(m): 9:35pm On Apr 05, 2019
You for make the head line ....NAIJA MOST CONSUME FOODS....adding pounded yam with egwusi shows ....Na attention you dey seek ooo and you finally found it
Re: Eating Too Much Of These 9 Nigerian Foods May Kill You by Bluntemperor: 9:37pm On Apr 05, 2019
Dr una well done o Blogger u too they move traffic.our grandparents stood firmly with Eba,Ewedu,Egusi and gbegiri,yet lived 96,86 85 even till date some are 90,yrs old with Children praying that Papa/Mama should pls leave the stage for them.Pls,tell us a better story that can change the narrative of longevity.Even the Scientists that is talking can't do without the Apu in 3-days.Live it Love the Eba.
Re: Eating Too Much Of These 9 Nigerian Foods May Kill You by Tex42(m): 9:40pm On Apr 05, 2019
seems water is the only substance we can take in without risking the chances of dying from it.

won't even be surprised if water is added to this list in future.

1 Like

Re: Eating Too Much Of These 9 Nigerian Foods May Kill You by BecaciaBarbie(f): 9:40pm On Apr 05, 2019
When I'm here trying to consume food with high calories because I burn too much of it already.
Re: Eating Too Much Of These 9 Nigerian Foods May Kill You by Agbaletu: 9:40pm On Apr 05, 2019
I don't care about others, but just leave my Pounded Yam, Amala, Eba and Fufu. They are medicinal (lol). My father is in the neighbourhood of 90s and he is still swallowing Pounded yam and Amala anytime any day.

1 Like

Re: Eating Too Much Of These 9 Nigerian Foods May Kill You by DEBJOCH1(m): 9:42pm On Apr 05, 2019
LOBISH LESEARCH, WERE IS LAWMA THEY SHOULD COME AND CARRY THEIR LOAD. BUT OUR FOREFATHER, OUR GRAND PARENTS AND OUR PARENTS EAT ALL THESE FOOD AND THEY LEAVE LONGER. WHAT I JUST NOTICED IS THIS, THE MORE DAY BREAKS, THE MORE END TIME DRAWS CLOSER.
Re: Eating Too Much Of These 9 Nigerian Foods May Kill You by mikejj(m): 9:42pm On Apr 05, 2019
lefulefu:
no mind op jor.he want us to be eating beans everyday and be gassing all those killer mess.
honestly wetin make we come chop Naw...even balance diet self wetin concern poor man....
Re: Eating Too Much Of These 9 Nigerian Foods May Kill You by ishawlar: 9:44pm On Apr 05, 2019
Our doctors self. Dont eat this eat that. What do we eat?
Re: Eating Too Much Of These 9 Nigerian Foods May Kill You by DEBJOCH1(m): 9:44pm On Apr 05, 2019
LOBISH LESEARCH, WERE IS LAWMA THEY SHOULD COME AND CARRY THEIR LOAD. BUT OUR FOREFATHER, OUR GRAND PARENTS AND OUR PARENTS EAT ALL THESE FOOD AND THEY LEAVE LONGER. WHAT I JUST NOTICED IS THIS, THE MORE DAY BREAKS, THE MORE END TIME DRAWS CLOSER. THIS IS ONE OF THE END TIME LESEARCH WE ARE TALKING ABOUT.
Re: Eating Too Much Of These 9 Nigerian Foods May Kill You by nwaonyeze001(m): 9:44pm On Apr 05, 2019
[quote author=DanielBryte post=77236893]Fufu is dangerous, Eba can kill you!! Doctors make shocking discoveries about some favourite Nigerian foods that can send you to early grave- Details can save your life

While food is good for the body and necessary for survival, humans are also expected to be wary of the meals they ingest and the rate at which they consume them. Some types of food, if taken excessively, are capable of causing health risks. The onus is on you to learn why certain foods are unhealthy, why you shouldn’t take them and how you can make better choices on daily basis.

Here are some unhealthy meals Doctors have warned Nigerians to be cautious about their consumption:

Egusi soup:

At the mention of this soup, many will salivate as it is much-loved by many Nigerians… but hold that saliva. Egusi contains something called phytosterols which when consumed, compete with cholesterol for absorption in the digestive system.

Also, egusi has a high level of calories and when garnished with few chunks of stock fish and two pieces of meat,

Loaf of sliced bread:

Bread is widely consumed daily across the country especially because it doesn’t have to be cooked before consumption.

Wetin una want make we eat sef.....the rate at which all this nutrition news is going.....a time will come when every Nigerian will be eating with fear
Re: Eating Too Much Of These 9 Nigerian Foods May Kill You by fotadmowmend(m): 9:45pm On Apr 05, 2019
Thank God amala and ewedu isn't there
Re: Eating Too Much Of These 9 Nigerian Foods May Kill You by Mojoy88(m): 9:48pm On Apr 05, 2019
Nonsense talk! Nothing shall separate me from the love of Eba and Egusi soup.Why on earth will someone condemn Rice and Dodo With the kind of stress i daily go through in Lagos, i need all the calories abeg.

1 Like

Re: Eating Too Much Of These 9 Nigerian Foods May Kill You by alphaNomega: 9:48pm On Apr 05, 2019
Everyone is missing the key point. Eating TOO MUCH of listed foods is harmful. Even water is harmful if you drink too much of it.

Eat in a balanced diet in moderation.

And for those of you claiming your grandparents lived up to 96 years and licked 5 cubes of sugar a day, keep telling yourselves that lie. angry
Re: Eating Too Much Of These 9 Nigerian Foods May Kill You by Tajmahal1000: 9:51pm On Apr 05, 2019
These endless “do not eat/drink this and that” is becoming too boring and false.

My uncle died at almost 80 and I saw him drink a bottle of Coke (in good, old Coke bottle, not PEP) after EACH meal for more than 30 years and it wasn’t diabetes that killed him!

My grandmother is alive and well at 103 (yes, one hundred and three years old); she eats eba like she takes water!
Re: Eating Too Much Of These 9 Nigerian Foods May Kill You by Makschinchin: 9:51pm On Apr 05, 2019
INTROVERT:
Any food taken in excess can kill you.

Yaaaaaaaay!!!!

INTROVERT is Baaaaaaaaccccckkkkkkkk grin grin grin grin

I've missed you!

Where in the world have you been?
Re: Eating Too Much Of These 9 Nigerian Foods May Kill You by ceedees05(m): 9:52pm On Apr 05, 2019
DanielBryte:
Fufu is dangerous, Eba can kill you!! Doctors make shocking discoveries about some favourite Nigerian foods that can send you to early grave- Details can save your life

While food is good for the body and necessary for survival, humans are also expected to be wary of the meals they ingest and the rate at which they consume them. Some types of food, if taken excessively, are capable of causing health risks. The onus is on you to learn why certain foods are unhealthy, why you shouldn’t take them and how you can make better choices on daily basis.

Here are some unhealthy meals Doctors have warned Nigerians to be cautious about their consumption:

Egusi soup:

At the mention of this soup, many will salivate as it is much-loved by many Nigerians… but hold that saliva. Egusi contains something called phytosterols which when consumed, compete with cholesterol for absorption in the digestive system.

Also, egusi has a high level of calories and when garnished with few chunks of stock fish and two pieces of meat, it has a total of roughly 700 calories per serving. Imagine consuming it with about 3 wraps of eba which is about 600 calories.

Loaf of sliced bread:

Bread is widely consumed daily across the country especially because it doesn’t have to be cooked before consumption. Bread belongs to the class of starchy foods and overt consumption increases the risk of getting diabetes.

If you are taking in 100 grams of bread, you are consuming 265 calories, especially if it is white bread. Some Nigerian-made breads are also not completely bromate free. Potassium bromate is added to help strengthen the bread dough and this chemical is cancerous. If you can steer off bread, there are other excellent choices that are low in carbs.

One minute Noodles:

While noodles can’t be called a Nigerian food, it has been adopted into Nigeria’s stream of foods such that it is consumed by both young and old. Nigerians go for noodles because it is cheap, easy and fast to cook, hence the name “instant noodles.”

Tests have revealed that noodles contain high sodium which aside being cancerous, causes heart disease and skin damage. Eating too much of noodles is bad for digestion and it also leads to obesity.

Eba:

Processed from cassava, garri is a food rich in carbohydrate; both the yellow and the white type. Garri helps to restore lost energy but a high rate of consumption does more harm than good. A cup of garri contains about 360 calories, 95% of which is carbohydrates and further consumption with soup, meat and/or fish, increases the level of calories.

Consuming a great deal of starchy foods like eba is like welcoming excess weight with open arms.

Fufu, made from cassava:

Fufu is another staple food made from cassava and its origin can be traced to Ghana. Fufu is of good nutritional value as it is rich in protein, fat, carbohydrates, potassium and low in cholesterol. Some are turned off by the smell that fufu gives and/or the fact that it takes longer time to digest.

Research has it that every part of cassava plant has a toxic chemical called Linamarin. This chemical, even after boiling the cassava, doesn’t change its state and this could be harmful during digestion.

Image result for Fufu
Also, under-processing of fufu, which is rampant, has harmful implications on the health. This is because the cyanide content is not reduced to a non-toxic state. Women and children are susceptible to cyanide poisoning as they are usually the ones who carry out the processing of fufu.

Fried plantain:

There is a meme trending on social media about plantain which reads, “How can you say in good faith that the God who created plantain doesn’t love you?”. This is proof of the love people have for plantain. Granted, plantain is a good source of carbohydrates, vitamin B6, vitamin C and is also a natural remedy for peptic ulcer.

However, plantain contains a considerable amount of carbohydrates and more calories are produced when it is fried in oil. Also, the water content decreases when fried and this might not be satiating enough.

Integrating plantain into your diet is making way for ample calorie intake. Taking 100 grams of plantain is consuming about 30 grams of carbohydrates, 15 grams of sugar and 120 calories. Other methods of cooking plantain (aside frying) should be adopted if one cannot live without plantain.

Pastries:

There’s an endless list of flour-based pastries which are baked, fried or roasted and are often taken between meals. Healthy snacking helps you maintain physical and mental energy and it also helps one have control over main meals. Snacking is however, only healthy when it is done to control appetite and meet nutritional needs. It shouldn’t become a habit because many snack foods are high in fat, calories, sugar and salt.

One tends to gain extra pounds through added daily calories if snacking is done out of boredom or habit. Consuming too many sugary pastries could also lead to tooth decay. Endeavour to avoid buying pastries on the street. Home-made pastries are advisable as one is sure of the type of oil used for the preparation. Oil when used over time becomes acidic but most sellers tend to keep old oil in use and keep frying with oil which is already harmful to

Rice:

Rice is rich in carbohydrates and fairly low in calories. It is a good source of energy because it is carbohydrate-dense. Consuming too much of carbohydrate-dense foods may cause one to eat little of other nutritious meals needed for a healthy life.

Eating too much rice could adversely affect glucose metabolism in the body. White rice contains about 4 grams of fiber per cup and consuming it in excess would fill one up preventing intake of other foods.

White rice is also low in phytic acid because of the bran which is always removed during processing. Ample research has it that white rice increases the risk of getting diabetes. It is advisable to consume brown rice or reduce the rate of white rice consumption.

Pounded yam:

A lot of Nigerians love pounded yam and it is widely consumed across the country. Pounded yam is a source of carbohydrate and a good source of energy which contains dietary fiber that helps reduce constipation.

Pounded yam is high in calories as a small slice of yam contains about 330 calories and one tin cup of pounded yam contains about 400 calories from carbohydrates alone. Pounded yam has the highest glycemic index compared to boiled yam and the process of arriving at pounded yam makes carbohydrates more available to enzymes that disintegrate the carbohydrates to glucose.

Eating pounded yam is consuming calories with no real nutrition. Diabetic patients are advised to steer off foods with high starch and embrace foods with low starch.

Source: https://lifestyle.thecable.ng/eating-much-10-foods-may-kill/
what kind of post is this, what de we now eat in Nigeria. Abeg park well
Re: Eating Too Much Of These 9 Nigerian Foods May Kill You by Emmanuel226(m): 9:55pm On Apr 05, 2019
make i no lie, if i follow dis article d kind hunger wy go kill me eh, but nice exposition sha grin
Re: Eating Too Much Of These 9 Nigerian Foods May Kill You by DanEmakoji(m): 10:00pm On Apr 05, 2019
So na die I de b that na. I eat almost all these except akpu.
Re: Eating Too Much Of These 9 Nigerian Foods May Kill You by franklingud(m): 10:04pm On Apr 05, 2019
Stupid post, what will man eat again?

We Africans eat natural food while the western eat canned and baked food. And they are jealous of us.

OP I jiro okwu!!!

Next post please!
Re: Eating Too Much Of These 9 Nigerian Foods May Kill You by Xtfield(m): 10:04pm On Apr 05, 2019
DanielBryte:
Fufu is dangerous, Eba can kill you!! Doctors make shocking discoveries about some favourite Nigerian foods that can send you to early grave- Details can save your life

Egusi soup:

Also, egusi has a high level of calories and when garnished with few chunks of stock fish and two pieces of meat, it has a total of roughly 700 calories per serving. Imagine consuming it with about 3 wraps of eba which is about 600 calories.

Loaf of sliced bread:

Bread is widely consumed daily across the country especially because it doesn’t have to be cooked before consumption. Bread belongs to the class of starchy foods and overt consumption increases the risk of getting diabetes.

If you are taking in 100 grams of bread, you are consuming 265 calories, especially if it is white bread. Some Nigerian-made breads are also not completely bromate free. Potassium bromate is added to help strengthen the bread dough and this chemical is cancerous. If you can steer off bread, there are other excellent choices that are low in carbs.

One minute Noodles:

While noodles can’t be called a Nigerian food, it has been adopted into Nigeria’s stream of foods such that it is consumed by both young and old. Nigerians go for noodles because it is cheap, easy and fast to cook, hence the name “instant noodles.”

Tests have revealed that noodles contain high sodium which aside being cancerous, causes heart disease and skin damage. Eating too much of noodles is bad for digestion and it also leads to obesity.

Eba:

Processed from cassava, garri is a food rich in carbohydrate; both the yellow and the white type. Garri helps to restore lost energy but a high rate of consumption does more harm than good. A cup of garri contains about 360 calories, 95% of which is carbohydrates and further consumption with soup, meat and/or fish, increases the level of calories.

Consuming a great deal of starchy foods like eba is like welcoming excess weight with open arms.

Fufu, made from cassava:

Fufu is another staple food made from cassava and its origin can be traced to Ghana. Fufu is of good nutritional value as it is rich in protein, fat, carbohydrates, potassium and low in cholesterol. Some are turned off by the smell that fufu gives and/or the fact that it takes longer time to digest.

Research has it that every part of cassava plant has a toxic chemical called Linamarin. This chemical, even after boiling the cassava, doesn’t change its state and this could be harmful during digestion.

Image result for Fufu
Also, under-processing of fufu, which is rampant, has harmful implications on the health. This is because the cyanide content is not reduced to a non-toxic state. Women and children are susceptible to cyanide poisoning as they are usually the ones who carry out the processing of fufu.

Fried plantain:

There is a meme trending on social media about plantain which reads, “How can you say in good faith that the God who created plantain doesn’t love you?”. This is proof of the love people have for plantain. Granted, plantain is a good source of carbohydrates, vitamin B6, vitamin C and is also a natural remedy for peptic ulcer.

However, plantain contains a considerable amount of carbohydrates and more calories are produced when it is fried in oil. Also, the water content decreases when fried and this might not be satiating enough.

Integrating plantain into your diet is making way for ample calorie intake. Taking 100 grams of plantain is consuming about 30 grams of carbohydrates, 15 grams of sugar and 120 calories. Other methods of cooking plantain (aside frying) should be adopted if one cannot live without plantain.

Pastries:

There’s an endless list of flour-based pastries which are baked, fried or roasted and are often taken between meals. Healthy snacking helps you maintain physical and mental energy and it also helps one have control over main meals. Snacking is however, only healthy when it is done to control appetite and meet nutritional needs. It shouldn’t become a habit because many snack foods are high in fat, calories, sugar and salt.

One tends to gain extra pounds through added daily calories if snacking is done out of boredom or habit. Consuming too many sugary pastries could also lead to tooth decay. Endeavour to avoid buying pastries on the street. Home-made pastries are advisable as one is sure of the type of oil used for the preparation. Oil when used over time becomes acidic but most sellers tend to keep old oil in use and keep frying with oil which is already harmful to

Rice:

Rice is rich in carbohydrates and fairly low in calories. It is a good source of energy because it is carbohydrate-dense. Consuming too much of carbohydrate-dense foods may cause one to eat little of other nutritious meals needed for a healthy life.

Eating too much rice could adversely affect glucose metabolism in the body. White rice contains about 4 grams of fiber per cup and consuming it in excess would fill one up preventing intake of other foods.

White rice is also low in phytic acid because of the bran which is always removed during processing. Ample research has it that white rice increases the risk of getting diabetes. It is advisable to consume brown rice or reduce the rate of white rice consumption.

Pounded yam:

A lot of Nigerians love pounded yam and it is widely consumed across the country. Pounded yam is a source of carbohydrate and a good source of energy which contains dietary fiber that helps reduce constipation.

Pounded yam is high in calories as a small slice of yam contains about 330 calories and one tin cup of pounded yam contains about 400 calories from carbohydrates alone. Pounded yam has the highest glycemic index compared to boiled yam and the process of arriving at pounded yam makes carbohydrates more available to enzymes that disintegrate the carbohydrates to glucose.

Eating pounded yam is consuming calories with no real nutrition. Diabetic patients are advised to steer off foods with high starch and embrace foods with low starch.

Source: https://lifestyle.thecable.ng/eating-much-10-foods-may-kill/
Nonsense. My father has been eating all these except noodles since childhood, he is 100+ and still more alive than you the author. Pounded yam all the way jor

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Pictures Of Nigerian Dishes / Nestlé Responds To Golden Morn Discussion / Long Cobra Killed At Our Backyard This Morning After Eating 6 Chicken Eggs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.