Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,137 members, 7,842,261 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 02:59 AM

River State: Wike Polled 886,264 Votes To Defeat His Closest Rival - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / River State: Wike Polled 886,264 Votes To Defeat His Closest Rival (542 Views)

Obidients Accuse Mark Essien Of Bias As Polled Results Hint That Obi Lost / Asiwaju Bola Tinubu Polled 1271 (APC Presidential Primary) / Rivers Is Not A Christian State, Wike - Punch Editorial (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

River State: Wike Polled 886,264 Votes To Defeat His Closest Rival by ekwe552: 7:01pm On Apr 04, 2019
[img]https://4.bp..com/-jv--ndQ-8bo/XKZBTrEPS5I/AAAAAAAAAK4/-6Re73L6WA4gQrSmjkiqFIfbNtPb4xJiQCLcBGAs/s16[/img] Governorship election in Rivers State came to an end with yesterday’s declaration of the incumbent governor, Nyesom Wike by the Independent National Electoral Commissioner, INEC, as the winner of the exercise.
The declaration of Wike, who polled 886,264 votes to defeat his closest rival, Mr. Biokpomabo Awara of the African Alliance Congress, AAC, who garnered 173,859 votes, provoked divergent reactions from interested parties.
The Collation Officer in the state, Prof Teddy Adias said the registered voters for areas where elections were cancelled due to violence, including the entire Abua Odua and Gokana LGAs were inconsequential to Wike’s winning margin of 712,405 votes.
While declaring the result, Prof Adias said: “Today marks the end of an era that commenced on March 9, 2019, when Rivers people were mobilized en-masse to elect their governor.
” We’ll study report—AAC While the AAC agent, Nenye Kocha said his party would take a position on the outcome, the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, agent and former Speaker of House of Representatives, Chief Austin Opara, urged Awara and his supporters to accept the result and join in building the state. Wike Kocha said:”We will study the report and come up with a position.
The decision of what to do next can’t be mine to determine alone. The party will sit and take a position.” On his part, Opara said: “This is a victory for Rivers people. The landslide victory is a true reflection of the wishes of Rivers electorate. “All we are saying now is that it is time Rivers moved away from violence during elections.
This is the time to build and we urge the opposition to join Governor Wike to further move Rivers forward” Jubilations in PortHarcourt Meanwhile, jubilation had erupted in some parts of Port Harcourt as soon as the final results and declaration of Wike as governor-elect filtered into town. Motorists and residents also heaved a sigh of relief in expectation that the tension that had engulfed Port Harcourt and the entire state would become a thing of the past.
The PDP had raised the alarm that the All Progressives Congress, APC, was planning to disrupt the collation exercise but that was not the case as the result was declared in an atmosphere devoid of hitches. It’s victory Atiku Reacting to the victory, presidential candidate of the PDP, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, described Wike’s triumph as a victory over anti-democratic forces.
He said: “The PDP is blessed to have a political gladiator, such as you, Wike on our side. The indigenes of Rivers State are fortunate to have a genuine progressive return to extend the frontiers of progress and development for them. “And I am favored to count you, Governor Wike, as my friend and brother, and Rivers State as my second home.
As your victory is savored by men of goodwill all over Nigeria, I am sure you will continue the pattern of good works for which you have become known for.” Power truly belongs to the people—Okowa Similarly, Delta State governor, Sen Ifeanyi Okowa said the outcome of the poll was a testimony to the fact that power belonged to the people. Okowa in a statement by his Chief Press Secretary, Mr. Charles Aniagwu said: “Although the Rivers State governorship election took a long time, at the end the will of the people prevailed and I must thank INEC, for doing the right thing in ensuring that the true results that emanated from the units were duly collated. “
On behalf of the government and people of Delta State, I congratulate my dear brother and colleague, Nyesom Wike on his well-deserved victory in the just concluded election. I also congratulate our great party in Rivers State and all our teeming supporters nationwide for this well-deserved victory. “From the margin of victory, it is safe to say that power indeed belongs to the people and they decide who to freely give it to.” Wike has democracy in his DNA—
Secondus On his part, National Chairman of the PDP, Prince Uche Secondus said Wike’s conduct while the stalemate lasted showed that he had democracy in his DNA. He said: “By your peaceful conduct in the face of provocations, you have demonstrated truly that democracy is in your DNA and this we will continue to exhibit until all non-democrats pretending to be one are flushed out of our polity. ‘
Re: River State: Wike Polled 886,264 Votes To Defeat His Closest Rival by dollytino4real(f): 8:32pm On Apr 04, 2019
rivers victory sweet victory
Re: River State: Wike Polled 886,264 Votes To Defeat His Closest Rival by yarimo(m): 9:57pm On Apr 04, 2019
Rivers state 2019 govornorship election is the most fraudulent election conducted ever in the history of Nigeria. undecided embarassed

(1) (Reply)

Police Say Non-payment Of Allowances Could Jeopardise Lagos Security / As The Good People Of Kano Welcomes Emir Sunusi To His Palace. / FFK Backs Obasanjo On Islamization Agenda Claim

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.