Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,345 members, 7,819,223 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:00 PM

Onnogen Is Coming Back Sooner Than Later - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Onnogen Is Coming Back Sooner Than Later (2587 Views)

“war Shall Come, Sooner Than Later, Unless...” – Nnamdi Kanu To El-rufai / Edo Old Woman Blasts Oshiomhole, Says "Obaseki Is Coming Back In Jesus Name" / End Of Boko Haram Will Come Sooner Than Later - VP Osinbajo Says (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Onnogen Is Coming Back Sooner Than Later by gbugbru(m): 8:51am On Apr 05, 2019
*My New Update on the Office of CJN*

Ayo Turton

STILL A LONG WAY TO REMOVING ONNOGHEN
The NJC we heard has recommended the suspended CJN, Onnoghen, for compulsory retirement, . but listen folks, especially his enemies, it is still a long way to removing him.

The Chief Justice of Nigeria cannot be removed or retired before the age of sixty-five without the approval of the two-thirds majority of the Senate.

With the recommendation of the Judicial Council, the President will still have to write to the Senate for approval. The Senate can only give the approval by two-thirds majority of members vote. Can't see that happening under the current Senate.

There is another twist! Buhari's appointment of Tanko in acting capacity can only subsist for three months pursuant to Section 231(4) of the Constitution. So, he has to make recommendation to the Senate for Onnoghen's retirement before early May when Tanko's acting capacity expires!

The President by law cannot elongate it beyond three months or reappoint the same person for another 3 months, except by another recommendation by NJC. Section 231(5) of the Constitution.

If the Senate refuses to approve the retirement of Onnoghen at the time Tanko's acting capacity expires, Onnoghen automatically returns as the Chief Justice.

The only trick foreseeable by me is for the President to delay forwarding the NJC recommendation to the Senate, then hoping that at the expiration of Tanko's three month, they would approve an extension. Because immediately the Senate rejects the recommendation of the NJC, Onnoghen returns as the CJ and I can foresee that happening.

If NJC wants to be impartial, they should turn down an extension of Tanko's term and demand why their recommendation wasn't sent to the Senate to maintain the principle of Balance of Power.

Still a long road people.

2 Shares

Re: Onnogen Is Coming Back Sooner Than Later by SarkinYarki: 8:53am On Apr 05, 2019
The bitter truth is that Nigeria has been siezed by Islamic terrorist

7 Likes

Re: Onnogen Is Coming Back Sooner Than Later by gbugbru(m): 8:55am On Apr 05, 2019
SarkinYarki:
The bitter truth is that Nigeria has been siezed by Islamic terrorist
Sadly enough, the south have been and will continue to be used as the willing tool in achieving their despotic tendencies... Watching as things unfolds bro

8 Likes

Re: Onnogen Is Coming Back Sooner Than Later by Generalnomercy: 9:23am On Apr 05, 2019
Islamization is simply the agenda.....
It will succeed only if they have Senate President, speaker of house, and CJ.

3 Likes

Re: Onnogen Is Coming Back Sooner Than Later by gbugbru(m): 9:27am On Apr 05, 2019
But it baffles me a lot when I discover many of those we described as informed tends towards the despotic ideals of this government... Should I say this government has in one way or the other deviced a means to convert intellectuals to gullible... I expect by now this issue should have resolved and the Onnogen reinstated to his rightful position... May God help us all
Generalnomercy:
Islamization is simply the agenda.....

It will succeed only if they have Senate President, speaker of house, and CJ.

4 Likes

Re: Onnogen Is Coming Back Sooner Than Later by capitalzero: 9:50am On Apr 05, 2019
It is a difficult situation for executive. Even without Saraki in Senate, fg cannot get 2/3 of senators to support retirement, sack or appointment of cjn. The only option for president to keep appointing acting cjn every 3 month till Dec 2020 when onnogen will retire.

1 Like

Re: Onnogen Is Coming Back Sooner Than Later by ozo13(m): 10:11am On Apr 05, 2019
All this keyboard warriors ehn.u guys threatened more than this 2montha ago when he was removed.I no dey take una threat serious any longer

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Onnogen Is Coming Back Sooner Than Later by Hafeexla(m): 10:12am On Apr 05, 2019
You People keep running mouth and down like if Nigeria is merely about lefledum biafra.

Onnoghen is a gonna, and i know it will take a while for you people to take it as part of fate that your miserable atikulated/obidiently fools loss and where beaten blue/black.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Onnogen Is Coming Back Sooner Than Later by nonsobaba: 10:15am On Apr 05, 2019
These are the kind of people who misled atiku and are still misleading him.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Onnogen Is Coming Back Sooner Than Later by garfield1: 10:29am On Apr 05, 2019
Op you are being clever by half.the senate can only come in if the president wants the cjn removed without the recommendation of the njc.once the recommendation is from the njc,the president doesnt need senate approval.look at paragraph 2 of section 292.i also have precedents.the njc few years ago recommended the removal of the enugu chief judge peter umezulike.the governor removed him without seeking approval of the house of assembly.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Onnogen Is Coming Back Sooner Than Later by garfield1: 10:35am On Apr 05, 2019
gbugbru:

Ayo Turton

The NJC we heard has recommended the suspended CJN, Onnoghen, for compulsory retirement, . but listen folks, especially his enemies, it is still a long way to removing him.

The Chief Justice of Nigeria cannot be removed or retired before the age of sixty-five without the approval of the two-thirds majority of the Senate.

With the recommendation of the Judicial Council, the President will still have to write to the Senate for approval. The Senate can only give the approval by two-thirds majority of members vote. Can't see that happening under the current Senate.

There is another twist! Buhari's appointment of Tanko in acting capacity can only subsist for three months pursuant to Section 231(4) of the Constitution. So, he has to make recommendation to the Senate for Onnoghen's retirement before early May when Tanko's acting capacity expires!

The President by law cannot elongate it beyond three months or reappoint the same person for another 3 months, except by another recommendation by NJC. Section 231(5) of the Constitution.

If the Senate refuses to approve the retirement of Onnoghen at the time Tanko's acting capacity expires, Onnoghen automatically returns as the Chief Justice.

The only trick foreseeable by me is for the President to delay forwarding the NJC recommendation to the Senate, then hoping that at the expiration of Tanko's three month, they would approve an extension. Because immediately the Senate rejects the recommendation of the NJC, Onnoghen returns as the CJ and I can foresee that happening.

If NJC wants to be impartial, they should turn down an extension of Tanko's term and demand why their recommendation wasn't sent to the Senate to maintain the principle of Balance of Power.

Section 292. (1)
A judicial officer shall not be removed from his office or appointment before his age of retirement except in the following circumstances –

ADVERTISEMENT

(a) in the case of –

(i) Chief Justice of Nigeria, President of the Court of Appeal, Chief Judge of the Federal High Court, Chief Judge of the High Court of the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja, Grand Kadi of the Sharia Court of Appeal of the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja and President, Customary Court of Appeal of the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja, by the President acting on an address supported by two-thirds majority of the Senate.

ADVERTISEMENT

(ii) Chief Judge of a State, Grand Kadi of a Sharia Court of Appeal or President of a Customary Court of Appeal of a State, by the Governor acting on an address supported by two-thirds majority of the House of Assembly of the State,

Praying that he be so removed for his inability to discharge the functions of his office or appointment (whether arising from infirmity of mind or of body) or for misconduct or contravention of the Code of Conduct;

(b) in any case, other than those to which paragraph (a) of this subsection applies, by the President or, as the case may be, the Governor acting on the recommendation of the National Judicial Council that the judicial officer be so removed for his inability to discharge the functions of his office or appointment (whether arising from infirmity of mind or of body) or for misconduct or contravention of the Code of Conduct.

1 Like

Re: Onnogen Is Coming Back Sooner Than Later by RichBoy247: 10:48am On Apr 05, 2019
Yes, ex-CJN Onnoghen is coming back as Head of Foreign Exchange Department in the Ministry of Justice of the Biafran Republic of Drugs and Crime. As for Nigeria's Judiciary, the Beraud de Change judgement trader is gone for good.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Onnogen Is Coming Back Sooner Than Later by Pentasoft1978: 11:06am On Apr 05, 2019
Hafeexla:
You People keep running mouth and down like if Nigeria is merely about lefledum biafra.

Onnoghen is a gonna, and i know it will take a while for you people to take it as part of fate that your miserable atikulated/obidiently fools loss and where beaten blue/black.
He is a gonna, remove him or stop making noise, why is the Sharia man acting

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Onnogen Is Coming Back Sooner Than Later by Hafeexla(m): 11:16am On Apr 05, 2019
Pentasoft1978:

He is a gonna, remove him or stop making noise, why is the Sharia man acting
tongue tongue tongue Yian, hug transformer tongue tongue tongue

2 Likes

Re: Onnogen Is Coming Back Sooner Than Later by nwanyionitsha: 11:17am On Apr 05, 2019
gbugbru:

Ayo Turton

But Tanko retires in 3weeks so why the extension?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Onnogen Is Coming Back Sooner Than Later by psucc(m): 1:31pm On Apr 05, 2019
How please? Is he retiring on age grounds or years of service?

But truth be told, The south is a willing tool for self-destruction.
nwanyionitsha:
But Tanko retires in 3weeks so why the extension?

1 Like

Re: Onnogen Is Coming Back Sooner Than Later by Ndonu101: 1:33pm On Apr 05, 2019
Onnoghen is being cowed to resign

he should remain strong and stand against the charade

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Onnogen Is Coming Back Sooner Than Later by ALEXIX212: 1:37pm On Apr 05, 2019
I Hope so
Re: Onnogen Is Coming Back Sooner Than Later by chloride6: 2:36pm On Apr 05, 2019
Commesuration..
Re: Onnogen Is Coming Back Sooner Than Later by adekolaelect(m): 2:50pm On Apr 05, 2019
capitalzero:
It is a difficult situation for executive. Even without Saraki in Senate, fg cannot get 2/3 of senators to support retirement, sack or appointment of cjn. The only option for president to keep appointing acting cjn every 3 month till Dec 2020 when onnogen will retire.
In your hateful and sabotage Dream .
Re: Onnogen Is Coming Back Sooner Than Later by nwanyionitsha: 8:24pm On Apr 05, 2019
psucc:
How please? Is he retiring on age grounds or years of service?

But truth be told, The south is a willing tool for self-destruction.
I really don't know. I read it somewhere.
Re: Onnogen Is Coming Back Sooner Than Later by OVIHINNO(m): 11:13pm On Apr 05, 2019
How market?

2 Likes

Re: Onnogen Is Coming Back Sooner Than Later by roundman: 3:54am On Apr 06, 2019
OVIHINNO:
How market?
Them nor make noise again.

1 Like

Re: Onnogen Is Coming Back Sooner Than Later by netpro(m): 5:08am On Apr 06, 2019
Time will come when people will ban these IPOB miscreants from supporting them.

Ex-CJN thief Onnoghen is gone forever.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Onnogen Is Coming Back Sooner Than Later by ionsman: 5:58am On Apr 06, 2019
See the way he's analysing, you'll think he has a clue. Empty vessel better pass some of una.

Now that he has resigned, go and bring him back.
Re: Onnogen Is Coming Back Sooner Than Later by helinues: 6:06am On Apr 06, 2019
Coming back to do what?

Was gun pointed on his head before tendering his resignation letter?

(1) (Reply)

Tribunal Rule In Favour Of AA In Imo Governorship Election / Chief Obafemi Awolowo MAJOR contributions as the western premier / Shocking: See Leaked Documents Of Imo State Anti-grazing Law (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.