Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,128 members, 7,811,185 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:34 AM

Nigeria Suffers Severe Heatwave With No Relief In Sight - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Nigeria Suffers Severe Heatwave With No Relief In Sight (34863 Views)

Coronavirus: Cure In Sight As Australian Scientists Recreate Virus / "Phone Igniting Gas Is Real, Be Warned!" - Woman As She Suffers Severe Burns / Girl With Severe Bow Legs Can't Wait To Dance After Undergoing Surgery. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Suffers Severe Heatwave With No Relief In Sight by Jacktheripper: 1:38pm On Apr 06, 2019
Nigeria has been in the grip of an intense heatwave over the past few weeks, with meteorologist saying there is no relief in sight until the seasonal rains set in next month.

The extreme heat has been in place since March, with the Nigerian Meteorological Agency (NiMet) saying last week that the heatwave has been affecting most parts of the country, including coastal areas, with temperatures well above 35 degrees Celsius.

On Friday, the temperature touched 42.2C in Minna, 120km northwest of Abuja. Meanwhile, Kano, 345km north of the capital, has notched up highs in excess of 40C every day since the beginning of April.
As people struggle to cope, authorities have been issuing warnings about the dangers brought on by the excessive temperatures.

Environmental expert Olwafemi Akinbode said climate change has become a public health risk.
"When you have heatwaves, the body is dehydrated, the young, the elderly, people that live sedated lives - these are the kind of people that have immediate health reactions to the heat wave," Akinbode said.
The severe heatwave is expected to continue until May when the seasonal rains are expected to spread north across the country.

Environmental experts have called on authorities to make long-term plans to slow down the effects of climate change by reducing carbon emission and impose bans on tree-cutting.

https://www.aljazeera.com/amp/news/2019/04/nigeria-suffers-severe-heatwave-relief-sight-190406085524415.html?__twitter_impression=true

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigeria Suffers Severe Heatwave With No Relief In Sight by alonzoiv(m): 1:39pm On Apr 06, 2019
We die here. I think Lokoja is the worst hit of all the cities of Nigeria

56 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigeria Suffers Severe Heatwave With No Relief In Sight by Nbote(m): 1:44pm On Apr 06, 2019
Oh Aljazeera don even hear am... My ppl dis one no b heatwave ooo, na microwave season b dis... How can someone b taking a shower and still b sweating in d bathroom?? It's already more frustrating dat d water U want to shower with feels like boiled water.. Seriously somebody has embezzled d ozone layer here

384 Likes 28 Shares

Re: Nigeria Suffers Severe Heatwave With No Relief In Sight by stephleena(f): 1:45pm On Apr 06, 2019
Nawa o
Re: Nigeria Suffers Severe Heatwave With No Relief In Sight by helinues: 1:46pm On Apr 06, 2019
Relief ogini?
Re: Nigeria Suffers Severe Heatwave With No Relief In Sight by blackmantis: 1:54pm On Apr 06, 2019
Tuesday and Wednesday was the worst

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Suffers Severe Heatwave With No Relief In Sight by Factfinder1(m): 2:01pm On Apr 06, 2019
The Angel in charge of Nigerians sun is not smiling at all

39 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Suffers Severe Heatwave With No Relief In Sight by AntiZombie: 2:01pm On Apr 06, 2019
Mehm the heat these days

cool shocked

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Suffers Severe Heatwave With No Relief In Sight by okrikaboi: 2:01pm On Apr 06, 2019
I have been sweating for straight 72 hours without relief here in port Harcourt

52 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria Suffers Severe Heatwave With No Relief In Sight by poweredcom(m): 2:01pm On Apr 06, 2019
The heat fit boil yam

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Suffers Severe Heatwave With No Relief In Sight by HigherEd: 2:02pm On Apr 06, 2019
You won't hear this on CNN, those ones are busy looking for every means to destroy Trump.

157 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Nigeria Suffers Severe Heatwave With No Relief In Sight by Ohraykon: 2:02pm On Apr 06, 2019
Someone opened the doors to hell by mistake.

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Suffers Severe Heatwave With No Relief In Sight by muystoy(m): 2:02pm On Apr 06, 2019
Chei! to fvck for night self na wahala and to make it worse light no go dey

70 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria Suffers Severe Heatwave With No Relief In Sight by Anonymous29: 2:02pm On Apr 06, 2019
The heat is killing!!
Re: Nigeria Suffers Severe Heatwave With No Relief In Sight by jenny772: 2:02pm On Apr 06, 2019
This is serious o. Generally noticed
Re: Nigeria Suffers Severe Heatwave With No Relief In Sight by Nobody: 2:02pm On Apr 06, 2019
The heat no be here..

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Suffers Severe Heatwave With No Relief In Sight by pat077: 2:02pm On Apr 06, 2019
I can imagine what the people in the far north are going through now.

32 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria Suffers Severe Heatwave With No Relief In Sight by AdemolaA2: 2:02pm On Apr 06, 2019
The heat is killing .. even my skin don hear am this past few weeks .. the sun in ladipo market is something else. I wonder how those guys hustling under it cope ..

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria Suffers Severe Heatwave With No Relief In Sight by 9jaRealist: 2:02pm On Apr 06, 2019
NEXT LEVEL heatwave cheesy

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Suffers Severe Heatwave With No Relief In Sight by Holywizard: 2:03pm On Apr 06, 2019
People are still fuckîng under de hot weather

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Suffers Severe Heatwave With No Relief In Sight by faithfull18(f): 2:03pm On Apr 06, 2019
Hmmn.
Re: Nigeria Suffers Severe Heatwave With No Relief In Sight by tstx(m): 2:03pm On Apr 06, 2019
Abuja sun ain't no Joke.... All my polo don change colour finish

I build websites and I am based in Abuja, see my signature

I build websites and I am based in Abuja, see my signature

13 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigeria Suffers Severe Heatwave With No Relief In Sight by oyeb15: 2:03pm On Apr 06, 2019
May God save us o.

Person dey sweat while bathing.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Suffers Severe Heatwave With No Relief In Sight by goldfish80(m): 2:03pm On Apr 06, 2019
The weather have been clement in Jos. The cool breeze under the hot sun have been quite admirable.
Hopefully, the weather conditions improve across the country before I journey back.

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigeria Suffers Severe Heatwave With No Relief In Sight by akaahs(m): 2:04pm On Apr 06, 2019
Hmmmm, relief ke. Lets just continue to pray for rain to come dai

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Suffers Severe Heatwave With No Relief In Sight by scribble: 2:04pm On Apr 06, 2019
hell on earth

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Help: My Mum Won't Stop Taking Carbonated Drinks / Milky "Garri" Discharge Help / 67-Yr-Old Man Carries 7 Bags Of Cement In Gombe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.