Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,215 members, 7,836,049 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:47 PM

Why We Want Gbajabiamila As Speaker - Kaduna Rep - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why We Want Gbajabiamila As Speaker - Kaduna Rep (9413 Views)

Tinubu Announces Gbajabiamila As Chief Of Staff, Akume As SGF / Leadership Newspaper Deletes Reports That Tinubu Appoints Gbajabiamila As CoS / APC Settles For Gbajabiamila As Governors, Senators-Elect Meet Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why We Want Gbajabiamila As Speaker - Kaduna Rep by titiloyeblog: 8:07pm On Apr 07, 2019
news @ titiloyeblog.com

A member of the House of Representatives, Hon Garba Datti Mohammad has said that the All Progressives Congress(APC) leadership is right in zoning the leadership of the 9th House.

The ranking member in the Green Chamber representing Sabon Gari federal constituency in Kaduna State on the platform of the APC spoke with The Nation in a chat.

According to the lawmaker, the leader of the House, Femi Gbajabiamiila ordinarily should have been elevated to the position of Speaker without any fuss.

He said: “That is because it is the normal convention in all democracies of the world.

“The majority party will always constitute the leadership and whoever is the head of that party in parliament that has the majority party automatically becomes the presiding officer.

“It happened in recent time. Just last November after the midterm election in US Nancy Pelosky became the Speaker.

“She was the Minority Leader but once they became the majority, she automatically became the Speaker.

“And this is the second term she has emerged as the Speaker; not even through election! It was just automatic.

“There was no election, although we have some slight differences in our constitution.

“To me, the decision of the party leaders is right. These (Gbajabiamila and Lawan) are two leaders that have done a lot for this party, so they deserve to lead.”

On the argument of the North Central lawmakers that they contributed more to the emergence of the President through their number of votes, he said: “Well, anybody can argue whatever he wants to argue but the hard fact is, these are our leaders and we have majority now, so automatically they should take over because they have never been found wanting in their positions.

“They have played very vital roles. Like Femi, he has been in the leadership since 2007 as Minority Whip, Minority Leader to Majority Leader and he has performed wonderfully well.

“Then you can never take away experience in this system; competence, experience, doggedness, everything you are looking for and he has paid his dues, so to me, there is no issue.

Speaking on the position of some PDP lawmakers that Gbajabiamiila can never be their Speaker, he said: “The minority can always have their say; the majority will always have their way!

“You can say whatever, the only thing is to try and unite as a party. Once we unite, PDP has no mouth to talk.

“They cannot decide who becomes the presiding officer. They can decide who becomes the Minority Leader and the Minority Whip but they cannot decide the Speaker; that is we put our house in order. I don’t think there will be many problems,” he said.

On if the party should call some of the aspirants to order because of the sheer numbers, he said: “Yes. I think the party has started doing that.

“I know of a person that even the President himself talked to him. I know of another person who his governor will talk to him either today or tomorrow to step down.

“So, I am sure we will have it right when the chips are down. Some are just flying kites, some are serious and some are not serious. We know that.”

source: https://www.titiloyeblog.com/2019/04/why-we-want-gbajabiamila-as-speaker.html

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why We Want Gbajabiamila As Speaker - Kaduna Rep by Dannyset(m): 8:17pm On Apr 07, 2019
grin
Noticed Tinubu name wasn't mentioned in the write up....watch how wailers will be chewing his name like chewing stick as if he's the one contesting for Speaker.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Want Gbajabiamila As Speaker - Kaduna Rep by hisexcellency34: 8:25pm On Apr 07, 2019
We don't want an ex-con who is the head of Bola Tinubu's cartel as our number four citizen. Imagine someone barred from entering the United States as our Speaker

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Want Gbajabiamila As Speaker - Kaduna Rep by ainas247: 8:25pm On Apr 07, 2019
smiley So who is the person president and Governor would talk to.. grin grin grin Ayayaya
Re: Why We Want Gbajabiamila As Speaker - Kaduna Rep by StOla: 8:27pm On Apr 07, 2019
In a country that is not ethnically heterogeneous, we would have the challenge we face with zoning political offices.

A minority leader should by right become the Speaker once his party becomes the majority.

He who led in opposition, would continue leading when now the party in power.

But that is not practical in Nigeria for our own peculiar reasons.

3 Likes

Re: Why We Want Gbajabiamila As Speaker - Kaduna Rep by abdulazeez1002(m): 8:28pm On Apr 07, 2019
Nice
Re: Why We Want Gbajabiamila As Speaker - Kaduna Rep by DoTheNeedful: 8:32pm On Apr 07, 2019
hisexcellency34:
We don't want an ex-con who is the head of Bola Tinubu's cartel as our number four citizen. Imagine someone barred from entering the United States as our Speaker

But you wanted Atiku as your president. :- undecided

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why We Want Gbajabiamila As Speaker - Kaduna Rep by ShenTeh(m): 8:32pm On Apr 07, 2019
It's all part of the narrative.
Re: Why We Want Gbajabiamila As Speaker - Kaduna Rep by StOla: 8:32pm On Apr 07, 2019
hisexcellency34:

Barred by who?

You just love to thrive in your delusions.

Has he experienced the Visa difficulties that Atiku faced for 12yrs? Did that stop your ilk from supporting Atiku?

See the objective response to you irrelevant rejection.

Speaking on the position of some PDP lawmakers that Gbajabiamiila can never be their Speaker, he said: “The minority can always have their say; the majority will always have their way!

“You can say whatever, the only thing is to try and unite as a party. Once we unite, PDP has no mouth to talk.

“They cannot decide who becomes the presiding officer. They can decide who becomes the Minority Leader and the Minority Whip but they cannot decide the Speaker; that is we put our house in order. I don’t think there will be many problems,” he said.

16 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why We Want Gbajabiamila As Speaker - Kaduna Rep by MetaPhysical: 8:32pm On Apr 07, 2019
I believe Oshiomhole is serious about enforcing party discipline, and I believe Tinubu when he said those not willing to abide by party supremacy can leave and join other parties. APC is the party to set things right in this country and begin a marshall recovery for this country.

Wishing Gbajabiamila well and a successful outcome.

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why We Want Gbajabiamila As Speaker - Kaduna Rep by olagbola45(m): 8:34pm On Apr 07, 2019
hisexcellency34:

We? Are you a member of d house? If not just shut d Bleep up and go and eat ur own poo

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why We Want Gbajabiamila As Speaker - Kaduna Rep by MetaPhysical: 8:34pm On Apr 07, 2019
StOla:

Barred by who?

Ignore some comments. News fabricated in village.

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why We Want Gbajabiamila As Speaker - Kaduna Rep by abvirus(m): 8:35pm On Apr 07, 2019
9th assembly already getting very interesting

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Want Gbajabiamila As Speaker - Kaduna Rep by jogsman01(m): 8:35pm On Apr 07, 2019
their wahala
Re: Why We Want Gbajabiamila As Speaker - Kaduna Rep by checkolatunji: 8:35pm On Apr 07, 2019
hisexcellency34:

You just proved the FTC person right

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Want Gbajabiamila As Speaker - Kaduna Rep by MetaPhysical: 8:36pm On Apr 07, 2019
Dannyset:
grin
Noticed Tinubu name wasn't mentioned in the write up....watch how wailers will be chewing his name like chewing stick as if he's the one contesting for Speaker.

grin grin grin

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why We Want Gbajabiamila As Speaker - Kaduna Rep by Dedetwo(m): 8:41pm On Apr 07, 2019
titiloyeblog:
news @ titiloyeblog.com

A member of the House of Representatives, Hon Garba Datti Mohammad has said that the All Progressives Congress(APC) leadership is right in zoning the leadership of the 9th House.

The ranking member in the Green Chamber representing Sabon Gari federal constituency in Kaduna State on the platform of the APC spoke with The Nation in a chat.

According to the lawmaker, the leader of the House, Femi Gbajabiamiila ordinarily should have been elevated to the position of Speaker without any fuss.

He said: “That is because it is the normal convention in all democracies of the world.

“The majority party will always constitute the leadership and whoever is the head of that party in parliament that has the majority party automatically becomes the presiding officer.

“It happened in recent time. Just last November after the midterm election in US Nancy Pelosky became the Speaker.

“She was the Minority Leader but once they became the majority, she automatically became the Speaker.

“And this is the second term she has emerged as the Speaker; not even through election! It was just automatic.

“There was no election, although we have some slight differences in our constitution.

“To me, the decision of the party leaders is right. These (Gbajabiamila and Lawan) are two leaders that have done a lot for this party, so they deserve to lead.”

On the argument of the North Central lawmakers that they contributed more to the emergence of the President through their number of votes, he said: “Well, anybody can argue whatever he wants to argue but the hard fact is, these are our leaders and we have majority now, so automatically they should take over because they have never been found wanting in their positions.

“They have played very vital roles. Like Femi, he has been in the leadership since 2007 as Minority Whip, Minority Leader to Majority Leader and he has performed wonderfully well.

“Then you can never take away experience in this system; competence, experience, doggedness, everything you are looking for and he has paid his dues, so to me, there is no issue.

On if the party should call some of the aspirants to order because of the sheer numbers, he said: “Yes. I think the party has started doing that.

“I know of a person that even the President himself talked to him. I know of another person who his governor will talk to him either today or tomorrow to step down.

“So, I am sure we will have it right when the chips are down. Some are just flying kites, some are serious and some are not serious. We know that.”

source: https://www.titiloyeblog.com/2019/04/why-we-want-gbajabiamila-as-speaker.html

It is shameful display of idiocy for any Nigerian to make a statement about democracy where USA and Nigeria are mentioned.
Re: Why We Want Gbajabiamila As Speaker - Kaduna Rep by DeLaRue: 8:44pm On Apr 07, 2019
One has to have some sympathy for Gbajabiamila.

He has been in the trenches as a leader in the House all these years, it seems like common decency to accord him the privilege to become speaker, unless of course there are competence issues.

However, those from his party who wish to contest for the position have a right to do so.

2 Likes

Re: Why We Want Gbajabiamila As Speaker - Kaduna Rep by MadamExcellency: 8:48pm On Apr 07, 2019
MetaPhysical:
I believe Oshiomhole is serious about enforcing party discipline, and I believe Tinubu when he said those not willing to abide by party supremacy can leave and join other parties. APC is the party to set things right in this country and begin a marshall recovery for this country.

Your idea of party discipline in Nigeria is delusion.

APC can only threaten Lawmakers with lots of garbage of corruption.

APC is a party and not their constituency. PDP voted against third term. PDP impeached Patricia Ete, PDP override OBJ veto on NDDC and the Party didn't do anything.

Moreover, voting for parliamentary heads in 9th Assembly will be by secret ballot hence Oshemohle threat is inconsequential.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why We Want Gbajabiamila As Speaker - Kaduna Rep by ogatboy(m): 8:54pm On Apr 07, 2019
titiloyeblog:
news @ titiloyeblog.com

Bullshit story. Peloski did get it automatically. They went through democratic process and for records she almost didnt win. Also she was formerly a speaker and the only female to have held that position.
Re: Why We Want Gbajabiamila As Speaker - Kaduna Rep by Peacecore: 8:56pm On Apr 07, 2019
MetaPhysical:

I'm telling u,this overambitious which led saraki to political oblivion shud b checkmated.

1 Like

Re: Why We Want Gbajabiamila As Speaker - Kaduna Rep by Godjone(m): 9:07pm On Apr 07, 2019
DOA
Re: Why We Want Gbajabiamila As Speaker - Kaduna Rep by RichDad1(m): 9:10pm On Apr 07, 2019
No politics of hatred here.
Gbaja for the �

2 Likes

Re: Why We Want Gbajabiamila As Speaker - Kaduna Rep by temak1: 9:12pm On Apr 07, 2019
hisexcellency34:
But your hatred for Tinubu has not reduced his influence.

4 Likes

Re: Why We Want Gbajabiamila As Speaker - Kaduna Rep by OGHENAOGIE(m): 9:18pm On Apr 07, 2019
StOla:
In a country that is not ethnically heterogeneous, we would have the challenge we face with zoning political offices.

A minority leader should by right become the Speaker once his party becomes the majority.

He who led in opposition, would continue leading when now the party in power.

But that is not practical in Nigeria for our own peculiar reasons.
it's merely conventional dats all...pple are quick to quote Pelosi case dee was no elections cos every member accepted her...but her successor was voted for despite her wanting the previous chief whip to take over but another person won by elections... to becom majority leader leader...if gbaja win majority votes den he become speaker if he loses den heaven shd not fall same for lawan...
Re: Why We Want Gbajabiamila As Speaker - Kaduna Rep by Nobody: 9:22pm On Apr 07, 2019
hisexcellency34:

Irrelevant nitwit. When will you guys learn that you only have a say if you pay your dues? Who is "we"? You and others who shout all day yet probably have no PVC and did not vote? Or is "we" the PDP House of Rep members who are in the minority and have no chance of producing Speaker? Mistake of 2015 will not happen in 2019. It is Lawan and Gbajabiamila. Furthermore APC will tighten its belt well to ensure the strategy to render PDP impotent in 2023 begins now. No dulling and you will reflect on this my prediction in future. APC learns lessons from Political mistakes. The PDP never does. The just concluded election has taught the APC needed lessons. Crackdown on PDP will be severe.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why We Want Gbajabiamila As Speaker - Kaduna Rep by OGHENAOGIE(m): 9:22pm On Apr 07, 2019
MadamExcellency:

APC is a party and not their constituency. PDP voted against third term. PDP impeached Patricia Ete, PDP override OBJ veto on NDDC and the Party didn't do anything.

Moreover, voting for parliamentary heads in 9th Assembly will be by secret ballot hence Oshemohle threat is inconsequential.
it's those who are uninformed dat swallow that nonsense called party supremacy...it work well only in parliamentary system...cos d party those in alliance form govt...in presidential dee is no official opposition so wats d nonsense of party supremacy...
Re: Why We Want Gbajabiamila As Speaker - Kaduna Rep by MetaPhysical: 9:26pm On Apr 07, 2019
MadamExcellency:

We are talking about APC and you throw PDP in, the two separate ideologies about social progress are incompatible.

Will you deny that APC enforced discipline in states where primaries held?

APC won smoothly the states that did primaries, the ones that refused had a very tough time reclaiming victory, in fact many of them lost to opposition. Another name for discipline is process or orderliness or structured. Those who love chaos, disorderliness and failure detest when the word discipline is mentioned.

Look at how Amosun ended. He snubbed his nose at party discipline. A very promising Governor, an executive of the second wealthiest state in Nigeria. Squandered his transition.
Compare with Lagos and Ambode's acceptance of party supremacy...the party and Elders of Lagos have met and reconciled with him...in fact they are sponsoring his NextLevel.

Party supremacy and orderliness in People's house is a must!

We must bring discipline to the people's house! Those who do not want an ordered society can step...

5 Likes

Re: Why We Want Gbajabiamila As Speaker - Kaduna Rep by MadamExcellency: 9:36pm On Apr 07, 2019
MetaPhysical:

We are talking about APC and you throw PDP in, the two separate ideologies about social progress are incompatible.

APC won smoothly the states that did primaries, the ones that refused had a very tough time reclaiming victory, in fact many of them lost to opposition. Another name for discipline is process or orderliness or structured. Those who love chaos, disorderliness and failure detest when the word discipline is mentioned.

Look at how Amosun ended. He snubbed his nose at party discipline. A very promising Governor, an executive of the second wealthiest state in Nigeria. Squandered his transition.
Compare with Lagos and Ambode's acceptance of party supremacy...the party and Elders of Lagos have met and reconciled with him...in fact they are sponsoring his NextLevel.

We must bring discipline to the people's house! Those who do not want an ordered society can step...

Is like your definition of party discipline is dictatorship?

Give it a break already, we are talking about full grown mostly self-made politicians.

I mentioned PDP as it relates NASS and the politics obtainable in that branch of government.

They will outwit Oshemohle or whoever that is your so-called enforcer of APC party discipline. I can bet you on this

These men are adults.
Re: Why We Want Gbajabiamila As Speaker - Kaduna Rep by MetaPhysical: 9:48pm On Apr 07, 2019
OGHENAOGIE:
it's those who are uninformed dat swallow that nonsense called party supremacy...it work well only in parliamentary system...cos d party those in alliance form govt...in presidential dee is no official opposition so wats d nonsense of party supremacy...

Please stop commenting on political matters until you have studied how goverment and parties in democracy operate. Im shocked to read the bold.

There is a contract in civil society and its between the powerless people and a powerful government. There is need to balance the relationship. Counter-balances are set up to act as voice of presence for people interest so the government does not oppress them. That counter-balance is what Legislature is. Thats why we call it People's House.

The Legislature is not just to police government, they are also to cooperate with government and make its social policies smooth and to author laws that will improve society and encourage its growth.

How do people choose who will represent them? There is risk. Those you hire to protect you could turn out to sabotage your interest and make delivery of good progress difficult and stunt growth. So the system introduces brokerage, or a safety-net to protect against saboteurs.

Partisan Parties are the brokers (Insurance, so to speak). The safety-net people have to ensure that representation is satisfactory. When people are not satisfied they change their brokers and vote a different party at next election.

This is why on ballot paper you voting the party...the true power broker!

I hope you understand the relationship now.

On opposition, I will let you do your own study and learn what it is. I cant feed everything to you. You will become a lazy youth. grin

3 Likes

Re: Why We Want Gbajabiamila As Speaker - Kaduna Rep by Nobody: 9:50pm On Apr 07, 2019
MetaPhysical:

Bruv, bottom line is that the APC is a proper political Party with leaders, even with their faults, who have the right idea about how political structures and discipline should be built and maintained. PDP is merely a congregation of selfish fraudsters who want to get their hands on Nigeria's wealth asap and that is why its members are always up to desperate 419 antics today that benefit them individually short term but harm the Party long term.

Classic example is Saraki's totally self-serving 2015 gangster hijack of the Senate with collusion of the PDP and Ekweremadu. They thought they were being smart. Saraki and Ekweremadu enjoyed their 15 minutes of fame. Yet look how Saraki ended up. He is now disgraced and displaced with his career in politics completely over. Ekweremadu too is now a nobody who will be facing his own wahala soon. They have created a situation where the APC will now pay particular and microscopic attention to ensure the PDP is neutered because Saraki and co have shown PDP members are slimy and poisonous Snakes and not people to be treated with honour, decorum or as gentlemen.

2 Likes

Re: Why We Want Gbajabiamila As Speaker - Kaduna Rep by MetaPhysical: 9:53pm On Apr 07, 2019
MadamExcellency:

Is like your definition of party discipline is dictatorship?

Give it a break already, we are talking about full grown mostly self-made politicians.

I mentioned PDP as it relates NASS and the politics obtainable in that branch of government.

They will outwit Oshemohle or whoever that is your so-called enforcer of APC party discipline. I can bet you on this

These men are adults.

grin grin
Are you denying that we need strong hands in this country?

Past governments institutionalized "corruption" and chaos.

APC has a mission....to institutionalize "integrity" and order!

May God Almighty help them. MadamExcellency say AMEN! grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Babajide Sanwo-olu Congratulates Senate President, Ahmed Lawan / Road Construction: Arepo Residents Accuse Ade Akinsanya, Fort Hermon Of Sabotage / We’ll Do Better Than Men – Female Gubernatorial Candidates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.