Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,098 members, 7,814,859 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:06 PM

POS Transaction Failures Threaten Cashless Policy - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / POS Transaction Failures Threaten Cashless Policy (12108 Views)

Emefiele Apologizes To Nigerians For Online Transaction Failures (Video) / Pos Transaction Problem / GTBank Hit By Mass Resignation, Mobile App & USSD Transaction Failures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

POS Transaction Failures Threaten Cashless Policy by linuses: 7:18am On Apr 08, 2019
PoS transaction failures threaten cashless policy, financial inclusion
On April 8, 20194:12

Growth rate decelerates in Q1’19

Mobile money agents lament
Bankers advise against using PoS

We are addressing the problem — NIBSS

By Babajide Komolafe & Elizabeth Adegbesan

THE widespread and incessant failure of transactions through Point of Sale, PoS, terminals is threatening the cashless policy as well as the financial inclusion efforts of the banking industry.

Consequently, growth rate in value of transactions decelerated in the first quarter of 2019 (Q1’19) due to inadequate capacity on the part of electronic payment operators to cope with rising volume of transactions.

Financial Vanguard analysis of data from the Nigerian Inter-Bank Settlement System, NIBSS, showed that value of PoS transactions grew by 34 percent (as against 66 percent in Q1’18) to N633.8 billion, year-on-year (y/y) in Q1’19.

It also represents 65 percent deceleration in growth rate when compared to the growth rate of 98 percent recorded in Q1’17.

Also following the same trend, volume of PoS transactions grew by 56 percent in Q1’19 to 83.8 million from 53.6 million in Q1’18. But this represents a 45 percent deceleration in growth rate when compared with the 101 percent recorded in Q1’18. It also represents a 56 percent deceleration in growth rate when compared with 127 percent growth recorded in Q1’17.

PoS transaction failures persist

Though NIBSS recently met and agreed on measures to address PoS transactions failure and delay of reversal credit to cardholders account, but Financial Vanguard investigations revealed that the problem has not abated, prompting some bank staff to advise customers to temporarily stop using PoS terminals for transactions.

Data obtained from NIBSS showed that as at Tuesday April 2, PoS transactions failure rose to 20 percent, from 16 percent average for March. This means that one out of every five transactions initiated via PoS terminals across the country was not successful.

NIBSS data also revealed that out of about 948,000 PoS transactions initiated on April 2nd, about 198,000 failed or were unsuccessful.

This is worsened by the fact that most times, the account of cardholders initiating the transaction is debited and the reverse credit is usually not executed within 24 hours as expected.

Threat to Cashless policy and financial inclusion

The enormity of the problem and how it may undermine the cashless policy as well as the financial inclusion efforts of the banking industry are reflected in the experience of some agents of banks and mobile money who spoke to Financial Vanguard.

“The good thing about the PoS is that it makes people have access to their fund through their ATM card. The bad experience I had using PoS is the network problem coming from Interswitch,” said Salami Olarenwaju, Samsoft Global Concept Limited, a bank and mobile agent.

Failure in transaction

Continuing he said: “The relationship between Interswitch and the power bank of the PoS is not smooth. Then peradventure, when a customer is debited through PoS without pay, the time frame for the reversal of such fund is longer which makes most of the customers to stop using the PoS because by the time there is failure in transaction and they expect a reversal in 24 hours which they didn’t get, they get frustrated.

“Another issue is with interrupted withdrawals. This is a situation where the customer account is debited without completion of transaction, we ask the customer to go to their bank to fill an error form. The duration of the reversal takes a long time because of the processes involved to solve the problem.

“When I carry out a PoS transfer, the fund is supposed to drop to the recipient bank account but because of the network issue, the fund will neither go to the recipient nor come back to my account from where the money is transferred. On such occasion, as an agent I would need to follow up with my bank for a fund reversal.”

Also narrating his experience with customers, Kosoko Sheu Tijani, of TK Investment, a mobile money and bank agent, said: The PoS has solved the issue of people standing in queues from the bank to get their money and save their money but despite its usefulness I have had problems with the network. It sometimes fails during transactions which causes a lot of inconveniences to the customers and myself. The worst part of it all is when the network goes off completely the transaction is not successful and the customer is debited. That is the most annoying situation in this PoS business.

“The reversal of their debited fund is now the real issue because according to the issuers of the PoS, they won’t be held responsible for any declined transaction. When customers get debited when a transaction is declined, they expect to get fund because they had already gotten the debit alert. There is 50 percent certainty that the money would be reversed immediately or within the next 24 hours but there is much certainty that after the declined transaction and debiting, the money would be reversed into their account later.

“So while processing the reversal at the bank, what I have been noticing is that the bankers or let say the customer care officer at the bank have been telling the customers to stop using PoS because they are getting debited and they find it difficult for them to process their reversal to get the money back into their account and they make it look as if it is the agents that are trying to manipulate or take their fund away from their bank account. This situation has really been the fault of this business.”

Inadequate capacity

Financial Vanguard investigations revealed that the root cause of the above challenge is inadequate capacity on the part of electronic payment operators in the PoS ecosystem to cope with rising volume of transactions.

Some bank staff who spoke to Financial Vanguard on condition of anonymity, however, pointed accusing fingers to Interswitch, operators the Verve card scheme, which accounts for about half of electronic payment transactions in the country. They alleged that the PoS transaction failure is frequent with the Verve cards.

“Interswitch is the one doing these things to us. There is no issue with our system. It is Interswitch system that is responsible,” a branch manager of a Tier 1 bank told Financial Vanguard on condition of anonymity.

Interswitch, however, declined to respond to these allegations when contacted by Financial Vanguard.

Financial Vanguard investigations as well as data from NIBSS, however, indicate that banks and card holders were responsible for about nine out of 10 PoS transaction failures in March. NIBSS data for March 29, 2019, showed that five out of ten (51 percent) PoS transactions failure were caused by cardholders while banks caused four out of ten (42 percent) of the failures.

According to an industry source, who spoke on condition of anonymity, some banks are not making the investment to upgrade their capacity and this is what is affecting the system. He said given the interdependent nature of the PoS ecosystem, all the operators should be upgrading their capacity simultaneously as failure on the part of just one operator to do this will affect the whole system. He added that the reason why some operators are foot dragging in terms of capacity upgrade is because there is no sanction for not doing so, and hence the problem may persist for a while.

NIBSS reacts

However, Acting Managing Director/Chief Executive, NIBSS, Mr. Niyi Ajao, told Financial Vanguard that stakeholders are making efforts to address the challenge and the efforts are yielding good results.

He said: “PoS failure rate has always been in double digits because of the complexity of the PoS network. In the best of times we record 12 percent failure rate, with six out of this 12 being caused by insufficient funds (in cardholders’ account). The PoS problem has abated in the last two weeks, as all stakeholders have been working together to improve performance and the effort is yielding good results as can be seen in the NIBSS real-time monitoring dashboard available to the public on NIBSS web site”.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2019/04/pos-transaction-failures-threaten-cashless-policy-financial-inclusion/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: POS Transaction Failures Threaten Cashless Policy by Taeewo(m): 7:50am On Apr 08, 2019
ok
Re: POS Transaction Failures Threaten Cashless Policy by ainas247: 8:03am On Apr 08, 2019
wink and the funniest thing is it will show fail and you would be forced to pay with cash and when you get home your money will be deducted...
so annoying

Rank your business fast on Google, check my profile
to see result

4 Likes

Re: POS Transaction Failures Threaten Cashless Policy by Pangea: 8:03am On Apr 08, 2019
angry
Nigerian demon ti takeover
What works effortlessly in other clime struggles to stir in Nigeria cool
Re: POS Transaction Failures Threaten Cashless Policy by 9isguy(m): 8:05am On Apr 08, 2019
Ok
Re: POS Transaction Failures Threaten Cashless Policy by zoedew: 8:05am On Apr 08, 2019
Declined!
Re: POS Transaction Failures Threaten Cashless Policy by slapandfall(m): 8:06am On Apr 08, 2019
What about Unified Payments?
Re: POS Transaction Failures Threaten Cashless Policy by slimdamatrix1(m): 8:06am On Apr 08, 2019
Exactly, so I went to maitama stores which is on my street and they have 3 POS machines. Guess what? All three failed to work, after some minutes I asked the guy to try the third again and it worked.

Nigeria is not in the right place for this so called cashless society agenda, I'm sorry.

3 Likes

Re: POS Transaction Failures Threaten Cashless Policy by UncleSnr(m): 8:07am On Apr 08, 2019
Nigeria is ripe yet.
Re: POS Transaction Failures Threaten Cashless Policy by TheMainMan: 8:09am On Apr 08, 2019
if it doesn't work... your money has already bn deducted and you have to wait for reversal which takes days sometimes and sometimes if it works your money gets deducted twice undecided

they had better work on it

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: POS Transaction Failures Threaten Cashless Policy by Kendumazy(m): 8:12am On Apr 08, 2019
Ordinary pos transactions, they can't get it right but will never fail to post their voluminous profits.
Re: POS Transaction Failures Threaten Cashless Policy by captainamiedi1: 8:14am On Apr 08, 2019
slapandfall:
What about Unified Payments?

oga they all route thru NIBSS. wen NIBSS is down everything is down and lately NIBSS has been a pain in the ass. always going down. interswitch has follow them also. 80% of ATM cards are powered by interswitch. USSD method is d best but coralpay is not doing enough with the advert.

1 Like

Re: POS Transaction Failures Threaten Cashless Policy by jaxxy(m): 8:17am On Apr 08, 2019
They shud fix the system.
Re: POS Transaction Failures Threaten Cashless Policy by Gentle034(m): 8:21am On Apr 08, 2019
My own experience is horrible, from 26 till Diz very moment 65 k was deducted from my account for a failed transaction and I never see the revert alert, and the bank keeps telling me to wait another one week, am broke as hell but I don't have a fucking choice bcoz we dey naija

1 Like

Re: POS Transaction Failures Threaten Cashless Policy by Nobody: 8:22am On Apr 08, 2019
Pos that made me lose 10000

Rubbish
Re: POS Transaction Failures Threaten Cashless Policy by geezynoni: 8:25am On Apr 08, 2019
dailynaijanews:
Polaris bank has refused to refund my 40,300 since December 2018
u no go their bank go complain
Re: POS Transaction Failures Threaten Cashless Policy by Sharon6(f): 8:26am On Apr 08, 2019
That thing can be so annoying ehn.. Being debited after a failed transaction. And the most annoying thing is having to wait for weeks to get your money back.

GIVE YOUR SKIN A TREAT, CHECK MY SIGNATURE!
Re: POS Transaction Failures Threaten Cashless Policy by ellalina(f): 8:28am On Apr 08, 2019
God bless you
Re: POS Transaction Failures Threaten Cashless Policy by Oliver80(m): 8:29am On Apr 08, 2019
First bank has refused to give me back my 18,000. Hell will loose it’s hold the next time I’ll be in the Bank
Re: POS Transaction Failures Threaten Cashless Policy by Mutemenot(m): 8:34am On Apr 08, 2019
That's how I lost my 5k to Rainoil ..... cry
Re: POS Transaction Failures Threaten Cashless Policy by Sharon6(f): 8:35am On Apr 08, 2019
Gentle034:
My own experience is horrible, from 26 till Diz very moment 65 k was deducted from my account for a failed transaction and I never see the revert alert, and the bank keeps telling me to wait another one week, am broke as hell but I don't have a fucking choice bcoz we dey naija

Oliver80:
First bank has refused to give me back my 18,000. Hell will loose it’s hold the next time I’ll be in the Bank

qualityGod:
Pos that made me lose 10000

Rubbish

Go to twitter, write a letter to CBN and hashtag your bank... You will get a response fast and you money will be reversed ASAP.

A lady got her money back in 10 minutes after writing CBN on twitter and tagging her bank. The already told her to wait for 2 weeks

Trust me, the fear of CBN is the beginning of wisdom for all Nigerian Banks

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: POS Transaction Failures Threaten Cashless Policy by toyota3(m): 8:39am On Apr 08, 2019
Sharon6:

It's not for card transactions. Cbn ruling applies only for transfers. Get your facts right

Go to twitter, write a letter to CBN and hashtag your bank... You will get a response fast and you money will be reversed ASAP.

A lady got her money back in 10 minutes after writing CBN on twitter and tagging her bank. The already told her to wait for 2 weeks

Trust me, the fear of CBN is the beginning of wisdom for all Nigerian Banks
Re: POS Transaction Failures Threaten Cashless Policy by mysticgal(f): 8:45am On Apr 08, 2019
dailynaijanews:

do you know cbn will pay you extra 10k plus your money after they have dealt with Polaris....just send a complaint mail to Cbn..copy Polaris bank....

I can send you their mail address too

oshi banks

2 Likes

Re: POS Transaction Failures Threaten Cashless Policy by Zombicmodz: 8:46am On Apr 08, 2019
Not just pos , mobile app too.
Re: POS Transaction Failures Threaten Cashless Policy by mysticgal(f): 8:47am On Apr 08, 2019
Oliver80:

and you never copy them for mail send complaint give cbn make you even hold extra 10k for your troubles

1 Like

Re: POS Transaction Failures Threaten Cashless Policy by trulygirl: 8:52am On Apr 08, 2019
The this a serious issue I must say. I still have my 12K hanging with Gtbank, they said i should wait for 8 Working days for they to confirm from the receiving bank.

Two weeks ago it was zenith bank.
Re: POS Transaction Failures Threaten Cashless Policy by moderatedguy: 8:59am On Apr 08, 2019
dailynaijanews:
write again ,this time around copy cbn.
Re: POS Transaction Failures Threaten Cashless Policy by Humblega(m): 8:59am On Apr 08, 2019
mysticgal:

and you never copy them for mail send complaint give cbn make you even hold extra 10k for your troubles

Av u ever seen anybody DAT collected d 10k before?

It was boldly written in d circular as penalty for a failed transaction not solve within speculated time. ........in my own interpretation it will serve as as fine for bank to pay into CBN cover.......not a compensation to customer.

+ Remember, THIS IS NIGERIA

Threatening them with CBN works though....
Re: POS Transaction Failures Threaten Cashless Policy by mykelswa(m): 9:02am On Apr 08, 2019
They are always scared when you threaten to report them to cbn. Try amd see they will refund it asap
Re: POS Transaction Failures Threaten Cashless Policy by mysticgal(f): 9:09am On Apr 08, 2019
Humblega:

Av u ever seen anybody DAT collected d 10k before?

It was boldly written in d circular as penalty for a failed transaction not solve within speculated time. ........in my own interpretation it will serve as as fine for bank to pay into CBN cover.......not a compensation to customer.

+ Remember, THIS IS NIGERIA

Threatening them with CBN works though....

I didn't collect but my 18k was returned with a sorry

(1) (2) (Reply)

. / Items Worth Millions Of Naira Destroyed As Fire Guts Shops In Ikorodu / Aliko Dangote Still On Top Of Forbes Africa Rich List

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.