Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,826 members, 7,813,729 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:07 PM

Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice - Autos (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice (11576 Views)

Shop For Slighty Damaged/repaired Cars From The US / Just Changed My Engine And Its Overheating / I Want To Buy Faulty Or Damaged Vehicles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by goodneuws: 11:59am On Sep 27, 2010
Thanks Siena. I will proceed to send the the truck as I don't think the quote is an expenses I can afford to take on at the moment. Would you do me a quote for re-spraying the peugeot. it may be better doing the job and selling here, I think.
Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by Nobody: 2:06pm On Sep 27, 2010
goodneuws:

Thanks Siena. I will proceed to send the the truck as I don't think the quote is an expenses I can afford to take on at the moment. Would you do me a quote for re-spraying the peugeot. it may be better doing the job and selling here, I think.

Sure. Give me the paint colour, and the VIN number, so I can get the exact paint code. I can then quote you a price.
Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by seal777(m): 11:22pm On Sep 27, 2010
@siena,
always a pleasure and rare priviledge to have you on my thread day in day out.

I love the fact that my thread has attracted so much comment and contributions on various automobile issues.

Pls keep the thread going on any issues.I know lots of people are following this thread and using the medium to get comments on issues concerning them too.

What are we nairalanders for? cool
Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by octar6: 9:52pm On Oct 04, 2010
why una wann kill this thred nah? tongue
@ eleven. dont u ever try 2 use a hyundia engine to substitute for a kia engine.remember if its not pandol its not the same as panadol.I guarantee u that if u try it ,u will begin to get issues with that car, just a matter of time.fairly used kia engines can be imported, and that should do the magic for u.or better still go and get ur self a new car.
cheers. grin
Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by seal777(m): 5:08am On Oct 25, 2010
No regret whatsoever,i am enjoying my new engine,travellin like no man business. thanks all.
Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by sultaan(m): 2:52pm On Oct 25, 2010
octar6:

why una wann kill this thred nah? tongue
@ eleven. dont u ever try 2 use a hyundia engine to substitute for a kia engine.remember if its not pandol its not the same as panadol.I guarantee u that if u try it ,u will begin to get issues with that car, just a matter of time.fairly used kia engines can be imported, and that should do the magic for u.or better still go and get your self a new car.
cheers. grin

FYI,
HYUNDAI and KIA are BRANDS MADE BY THE SAME COMPANY, so the only difference in some their cars are sheetmetals and accents.
Another thing about engine oils is that you are KILLING your cars in Nigeria by using 20w50, that is why most have engine problem.
The viscosity you are refering to with oil is not taken at normal temp, but operating temp so always use weight recommended from factory and NO 4cyl or 6cyl car uses 20w50. Always use 5W30-10W30 on newer cars (even2004EOD) tolerances are so tight they recommend 5W20 which is very light. From the page below you should be using Visco 5000 or 7000 5w30 and 5w40 when desperate when oil is getting black you are just burning gas and carbon soots are getting dumped in your oil(ie somethng is going bad already)
http://www.bplubricants.com/en/products/visco
Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by eleven(m): 12:06am On Oct 26, 2010
@ Sultaan.

Thanks man, I have changed the engine as my mechanic recommended. The engine we bought was obviously designed by the manufacturer for KIA and Hyundai cars. The engine had both makers logos engraved on it. Yes HYUNDAI and KIA engines are one and the same. Car works great now. Glad Seal brought this thread alive again.

Please can anyone help me with the price of gear switch for CRV 02? My gear shift stick gets stuck atimes, moving gear from D to P or R can be nightmarish when it happens.

At times the D light flashes whenever its moved from it. Gear Mechanics says gear switch is bad and told me it would cost me 30k to get a fairly used one. But somehow my mind tells me the gear switch might not be damaged but I can't prove it, believe it might be an electrical fault.

The Cruise control is also not working, Cruise control indicator light does not show on the dashboard when switched on; though the side switch green indicator light (near the steering) comes on when switched on. My mechanic is not too familiar with electronic cars and would not mind someone referring any professional mechanic around Lagos. Thanks.
Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by kuntash: 9:45am On Oct 26, 2010
I wish used engines bought in naija would have the mileage spelt out on them sincerely
Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by mishooo(m): 10:21am On Oct 26, 2010
eleven:

The Cruise control is also not working, Cruise control indicator light does not show on the dashboard when switched on; though the side switch green indicator light (near the steering) comes on when switched on. My mechanic is not too familiar with electronic cars and would not mind someone referring any professional mechanic around Lagos. Thanks.

Call Shakiru - Unilag 2nd Gate - 08138639666. He's trustworthy and reliably efficient.
Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by eleven(m): 1:54pm On Oct 26, 2010
mishooo:

Call Shakiru - Unilag 2nd Gate - 08138639666. He's trustworthy and reliably efficient.

Thanks Mishoo. Spoken with the guy and have arranged to meet him on Saturday.
Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by seal777(m): 12:36am On Oct 31, 2010
Milleage on use engines, try check out the plastic covering the timing belt,if the belt has bn changed,the milleage and date of change wil be clearly written there.this could gv u a rough extimate.
Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by firebobo: 6:57pm On Jul 03, 2014
I drove My Sienna through a flood and as soon as as I came out of it My car though still running wouldn't move forward like it isn't entering drive gear. Please What is like to cause this & What need to be done to correct this.
Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by Richardonyenike: 11:05pm On Mar 26, 2016
Hello Good PM all! thanks to you all for this educative forum. Please I need your help, my Toyota corolla 1998 model is producing knocking sound so I change the oil pump and crankshaft and after the rebuilding , the car goes off on me when I step on the brake. three different electrician has worked on it , change the airflow, change the fuel pump , and it still goes off on me when I step on the brake , the called it brake and quench, please help do I need a new engine?
Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by ugotrice: 12:13pm On Dec 26, 2016
Please I drive a Toyota Camry 2010, it makes a loud sound when you start the engine in the morning, or when the car has not been driven for 6hours. The sound decreases within 2 -3 seconds after the engine is kept on to normal. I was told by a mechanic that it's the oil pump. This mechanic serviced my vehicle and instead of him working on the pump (service it or repair it, where applicable). Some one came to the house this morning to cut my car key this morning and when he finished we started the car the sound came up as usual. He advised me to change or service the oil pump. Please, I want to know the cost of an oil pump for this vehicle.

Secondly, my car traction light is showing on the dashboard. What do I do about it. I'm at Ajao estate, I need a good and affordable workshop I can get this car fixed.
Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by ndidibabe(f): 4:18pm On Aug 03, 2018
seal777:
I happy to announce to the whole house that the deal is signed, sealed and delivered. grin

The engine fixing was concluded and it was a one start, the only initial itch was the oil sign showing on the dash board, we had the oil filter loosed and signs of dirt’s was obvious in it even though it was a new one, we had to get the sump out and there we are, the oil lifter was virtually blocked with dirt’s perhaps as a result of the engine been on ground for sometime.

We got it washed, filled back the oil and insert the filter and there was no issue on the engine for now having driven the car for sometime to do some initial run around hoping to take the car for a spiritual clincing at a car wash tomorrow. I think i noticed a different level of power behind the whell with the new engine,though i need sometime to really confirm that.

It’s been a tedious week and I bet you I ve learnt a lot past few days, it’s interesting, time consuming and memorable too but over all it’s worth the experience. wink

I will feed back on the initial guarantee period as time flies by.

I am very grateful to all those who read, meditate, contribute, hoping that lots of people will learn from this and help save the economy some expenses, time and inconveniencies associated with an engine change. cool

I wonder what would have happened if I had no time to monitor my mechanic at interval.

Think I am ready to explore Nigeria with my car now. grin cool

Thank you and God bless us all.

How far with this car? Do u still use it??
Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by Deeni131: 12:10pm On Feb 19, 2021
Cracking sound on the side of the passenger side on my toyota corolla 2008 noticeable only in the night. I think it's the bearings.
Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by teapot(m): 11:18pm On Apr 11, 2021
Hello everyone.

@seal777 , @Nobody

I have an es350 Lexus that I noticed some sound in it after the mechanic worked on it. He changed the oil pump though they worked on it changing the steering rack and steering pump. The car started giving me issues after they changed the oil pump, from over heating to low oil pressure again which resulted to another expenses again cry cry the over heating spoilt the gaskets which result to another expenses, they have to remove the whole engine to make the work easier for them according to the mechanic. After they are done I started noticing a cranking sound inside the engine and I was told that the timing lapse chain wasn't positioned well which they had to removed the engine after to reset it, they did but I started hearing another sound in the engine again went back there and had an heated argument with the mechanic and I almost do him strong thing because I have spent alot on the car ( I bought it Nigeria used cry ) . I took the car to another mechanic and they told me it has affected the crankshaft, they told me I have to replace it. I started researching and I stumbled upon this topic that day, I ignored the warnings and had to change 4 crankshaft 35k and other expenses too. It worked well at first then I started noticing oil leakage which they said it's the sump and the bolt used are wearing out, they had to get another bolt or repair the the one there but after they done with it I noticed another cranking sound when I rev a little or moving and it's getting louder just like before. I weak right now! They told me now they want to change another thing there or they replace the whole engine! I weak from inside! Please I need help to know how much they sell new es350 engine because my head ain't working straight tonight thinking about the expenses and all. This thread really help alot and if you're reading and having same issues don't bother repair when you had this same issue
Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by greggng: 1:24am On Apr 12, 2021
bigfather:

Nice one bro. But am a bit scared o. I use the same model with same engine but I've never had any course to regret ever driving the car. Though i seldom use the car anyway,except when am travelling and that happens once in every 3mths. Anyway, a tokunbo V6 engine will cost about 70-80k . Good luck bro . smiley

Point of correction ...that engine goes for more than 200k ...quote me ...my friend didn't take my advice on this issue ...he paid dearly . Instead of ordering for first grade tokunbo engine from ladipo ..he visited jankara where he both one for 125k ...just two days ago ....the 125k engine is now giving a knocking sound . I have been driving this engine for 12 years now and my car still sounds like tokunbo...is one of the best engine by Toyota

1 Like

Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by Foreigna: 2:34am On Apr 12, 2021
greggng:

Point of correction ...that engine goes for more than 200k ...quote me ...my friend didn't take my advice on this issue ...he paid dearly . Instead of ordering for first grade tokunbo engine from ladipo ..he visited jankara where he both one for 125k ...just two days ago ....the 125k engine is now giving a knocking sound . I have been driving this engine for 12 years now and my car still sounds like tokunbo...is one of the best engine by Toyota

Before arguing about pricing, did you check the year he made that post?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Honda Babyboy(2000/01) And 2003 Toyota Corolla / Need To Duplicate,programme Or Replace Faulty Keys(locksmith) / 2007 BMW 530xi For Sale (tokunbo) NOW N3,200,000 (1 owner) BUY ME!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.