Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,842 members, 7,828,070 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 11:24 PM

Sunday Oliseh Reveals The Secret Behind The Success Of The 1994 Super Eagles. - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Sunday Oliseh Reveals The Secret Behind The Success Of The 1994 Super Eagles. (22304 Views)

Members Of 1994 Super Eagles Receive Houses In Owerri (Photos) / FG Approves Houses For 1994 Super Eagles Winning Side / FG Fulfil 28-Year-Old Pledge, Allocates Houses To AFCON 1994 Super Eagles Team (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sunday Oliseh Reveals The Secret Behind The Success Of The 1994 Super Eagles. by kingjrofficial(m): 5:18am On Apr 10, 2019
grin
Re: Sunday Oliseh Reveals The Secret Behind The Success Of The 1994 Super Eagles. by anochuko01(m): 5:32am On Apr 10, 2019
DEHVEHLOP:
Good to hear that the teams had more Yoruba players than any other tribe...
Mutiu Adepoju, Rashidi Yekini And so on
u mention two and then put "and so on". who is "and so on"?
tribalist oshi..

2 Likes

Re: Sunday Oliseh Reveals The Secret Behind The Success Of The 1994 Super Eagles. by islandmoon: 5:39am On Apr 10, 2019
johnie:
1994 World Cup team list

1 Peter RUFAI

22 Wilfred AGBONAVBARE
Goalkeeper 5 October 1966

WESTERHOF Clemens (NED)
Coach

AGBONAV-BASKET
Re: Sunday Oliseh Reveals The Secret Behind The Success Of The 1994 Super Eagles. by femi4: 5:51am On Apr 10, 2019
johnie:
Super Eagles ’94 Squad

Manager
Clemens Westerhof

Players

No Player Date Of Birth Caps

GoalKeepers
1 Peter Rufai 24 August 1963 55
16 Alloysius Agu 12 July 1967 –
22 Wilfred Agbonavbare 5 October 1966 –

Defenders
2 Augustine Eguavoen 19 August 1965 35
19 Michael Emenalo 14 July 1965 –
3 Bennedict Iroha 29 November 1969 –
4 Stephen Keshi
(Captain) 23 January 1962 59
6 Chidi N’Wanu 27 September 1967 –
20 Uche Okafor 8 August 1967 –
5 Uche Okechukwu 27 September 1967 26

Midfielders
7 Finidi George 15 April 1971 23
8 Thompson Oliha 04 October 1968 –
10 Jay Jay Okocha 14 August 1973 10
13 Emeka Ezeugo 16 December 1965 –
15 Sunday Oliseh 14 September 1974 –
18 Efan Ekoku 8 June 1967 –
21 Mutiu Adepoju 22 December 1970 18

Forwards
12 Samson Siasia 14 August 1967 32
9 Rashidi Yekini 23 October 1963 46
14 Daniel Amokachi 30 December 1972 26
17 Victor Ikpeba 12 June 1973 –
Amunike
Re: Sunday Oliseh Reveals The Secret Behind The Success Of The 1994 Super Eagles. by GOFRONT(m): 6:05am On Apr 10, 2019
grin

We talking Super Eagles' 1994 Success and the Thief/Scammer above me is trying to double his hurstle by posting a photoshop Won ticket and a photoshop Whatsapp chat.....He probably wants to drive Benz this year and only the gullibles will make him to accomplish his Benz goal.....

2 Likes

Re: Sunday Oliseh Reveals The Secret Behind The Success Of The 1994 Super Eagles. by oruma19: 6:07am On Apr 10, 2019
Now see as i v been smiling since I started reading comments and watching the videos. No single negative comments read so far. Football is the only thing that puts a smile on a Nigerian's face, why don't they invest more in football? Because they don't want us to smile. So sad.

2 Likes

Re: Sunday Oliseh Reveals The Secret Behind The Success Of The 1994 Super Eagles. by GOFRONT(m): 6:21am On Apr 10, 2019
You scammer....This is not how to make money to buy the Benz...
Re: Sunday Oliseh Reveals The Secret Behind The Success Of The 1994 Super Eagles. by moscobabs(m): 6:35am On Apr 10, 2019
Tot Garba Lawal was among the players then
Re: Sunday Oliseh Reveals The Secret Behind The Success Of The 1994 Super Eagles. by naptu2: 6:40am On Apr 10, 2019
moscobabs:

Garba Lawal was in the Atlanta '96 squad.

2 Likes

Re: Sunday Oliseh Reveals The Secret Behind The Success Of The 1994 Super Eagles. by naptu2: 6:45am On Apr 10, 2019
It's 25 years since the BBC World Service annoyed me.

I muted the TV and listened to commentaries on the BBC World Service Radio. The commentators were clearly supporting the Zambians. I don't know if it was because the Zambians were the underdogs or if it was because of the plane crash, but it annoyed me.

It also gave me greater satisfaction when we eventually won the match and the cup.

Nigeria 2-1 Zambia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cueBaHkzKhA

2 Likes

Re: Sunday Oliseh Reveals The Secret Behind The Success Of The 1994 Super Eagles. by flington4550(m): 6:59am On Apr 10, 2019
hsafarms:
Igbo has more illiterates than any other tribes in Nigeria....

That's why they had more players in the national team than Yoruba and Hausa...
Get away from here....animal

Igbo illiteracy amaka

1 Like

Re: Sunday Oliseh Reveals The Secret Behind The Success Of The 1994 Super Eagles. by pimper24: 7:00am On Apr 10, 2019
naptu2:

what's That's that gibberish Super Eagles street and so on as recognition. While talking about Rashidi and Keshi, I expected an Eulogy of some sort , or Sunday didn't know they d passed on? Why not talk of immortalizing those great guys rather than all those funny details

1 Like

Re: Sunday Oliseh Reveals The Secret Behind The Success Of The 1994 Super Eagles. by harrycoko: 7:02am On Apr 10, 2019
Wasted spam
Re: Sunday Oliseh Reveals The Secret Behind The Success Of The 1994 Super Eagles. by naptu2: 7:04am On Apr 10, 2019
June 3rd, 1993 on the "beautiful" pitch of the National Stadium in Lagos (sarcasm).

The Algerians scored first.

Jay Jay Okocha equalised via a free kick goal.

Yekini put us in the lead via a goal off a corner (his technique was very good).

Yekini extended the lead via a spectacular goal (check out the angle from which he scored that goal!)

Daniel Amokachi scrambled in the fourth goal to make it

Nigeria 4-1 Algeria.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFQ06Wu1y3o

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sunday Oliseh Reveals The Secret Behind The Success Of The 1994 Super Eagles. by beresponsible(m): 7:04am On Apr 10, 2019
One of the few Nigerian stories that brought tears to my eyes. I love this country Mehn

4 Likes

Re: Sunday Oliseh Reveals The Secret Behind The Success Of The 1994 Super Eagles. by Judybash93(m): 7:21am On Apr 10, 2019
DEHVEHLOP:
Good to hear that the teams had more Yoruba players than any other tribe...

Mutiu Adepoju, Rashidi Yekini And so on

Can we talk about anything without bringing in our tribalistic sentiments?
Re: Sunday Oliseh Reveals The Secret Behind The Success Of The 1994 Super Eagles. by SamOyovwi: 7:23am On Apr 10, 2019
I think something should also be printed in the jersey representing the 94 team to motivate them too. They should go ahead to win it for a memorable remembrance
ReeLoaDead:
On this silver anniversary of that golden Super Eagles team that rocked the stage in AFCON 1994 and WC 1994, may our present day Super Eagles go on to win AFCON 2019 in style too! cool

1 Like

Re: Sunday Oliseh Reveals The Secret Behind The Success Of The 1994 Super Eagles. by dabossman(m): 7:25am On Apr 10, 2019
Thank you for the memories naptu2

YesNo:
That was 25 furrrrrrrrking years ago and thats what we are holding on to as one of the biggest football nations in Africa.

I get am before no be property

Those who do not appreciate their history are like a leaf who doesn't realize that it is part of a tree. Every country celebrates their successful teams and players.
Re: Sunday Oliseh Reveals The Secret Behind The Success Of The 1994 Super Eagles. by Judybash93(m): 7:25am On Apr 10, 2019
beresponsible:
One of the few Nigerian stories that brought tears to my eyes. I love this country Mehn

Re: Sunday Oliseh Reveals The Secret Behind The Success Of The 1994 Super Eagles. by Boyooosa(m): 7:28am On Apr 10, 2019
12large1:
1994 this 1994 that abeg shut up. At the end of the day, history will remember them for winning a nations cup and “round of 16” at World Cup. Keshi 2013 team has already equaled that achievement and no one is salivating over them
U mentioned this and I had nixed feelings;
The first was that u were not mature enough to encounter the immeasurable joy that filled the whole atmosphere (it did not rent, yes, it filled) of the nation back then. In fact u need to know that, Hope 93 of Abiola and Super Eagles of that era were the two conjoing factors that sustained Nigeria during that period.
2, you are right if you believe that the record has been broken in 2013/14 by keshi team (thank he was even a member of the greatest Nigerian team ever...as a player.
Now, listen and listen carefully, the joy that came out of that team to Nigerians can never be replaced or compensated with 3 straight world cup winning which I doubt so much can happen.
The reason being that this team happened when Nigeria was almost forgotten in the football arena, this happened when the spirit met the individual skills and thank God for the angel in form of coach, I call him The Westerhof!
This happened when 80% or 90% of the team were local players and even some were recruited from eleruku field if u know what i mean but if not, ask that guy with d mic gan gan or better still, u can searcj for this on google; I picked oliseh from gutter, by westerhof. He did not intend to dehumanize oliseh but was only expressing how it feels to build a team of such magnimous and fantastic outing/performance.
They tagged them from Grass to Grace!

4 Likes

Re: Sunday Oliseh Reveals The Secret Behind The Success Of The 1994 Super Eagles. by Talknochip(m): 7:37am On Apr 10, 2019
A Great event organised by the NFF. If you (ever) play street football or any other one, you will understand what Oliseh said about 'Fight' with Okocha.. Mehn, there is always that one player that loves to dribble. loves holding the ball and annoys everybody including the opponent.. Sometimes, you will be tempted to even join the opponent to attack or tackle him too..

5 Likes

Re: Sunday Oliseh Reveals The Secret Behind The Success Of The 1994 Super Eagles. by mapet: 7:50am On Apr 10, 2019
naptu2:

For those of you less than 30; You cannot appreciate what we felt with this team

1. Did you see that Sunday Oliseh's lob/pass to Yekini for that goal? Sunday Oliseh delivered many of such a long pass from 60m to Yekini's feet. I can now understand "na si mi"
2. That was the era when SE went into a game and fans will CONFIDENTLY be expecting nothing less than 3-0
3. An era when this issue was not wether Rashidi Yekini will score...but "how many?"

Ps

Aumbameyang's father was in that game; defender for the Gabonese.
One other name that stuck with me then was Guy Roger grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sunday Oliseh Reveals The Secret Behind The Success Of The 1994 Super Eagles. by OyinO: 7:58am On Apr 10, 2019
In those days you're sure Nigeria is going to win. And even though they lost, it is going to be a tough fight for the opponent. You could see patriotism, SACRIFICE and dedication. Yekini's celebration of shaking the net and crying, remains the greatest celebration of all times. Well done guys! Respect!

1 Like

Re: Sunday Oliseh Reveals The Secret Behind The Success Of The 1994 Super Eagles. by stag: 8:04am On Apr 10, 2019
YesNo:
That was 25 furrrrrrrrking years ago and thats what we are holding on to as one of the biggest football nations in Africa.

Sorry bro, in this case, na property oo cheesy

Nostalgia!

1 Like

Re: Sunday Oliseh Reveals The Secret Behind The Success Of The 1994 Super Eagles. by Anonymous4: 8:11am On Apr 10, 2019
coolAll the time this Man were talking about, we still dey Heaven they pour rain on una ;DAll the time this Man were talking about, we still dey Heaven they pour rain on una ..
Re: Sunday Oliseh Reveals The Secret Behind The Success Of The 1994 Super Eagles. by toprealman: 8:20am On Apr 10, 2019
Shibaraba:

USA 94
Love you daddy. I swear
I was privileged to watch this match live
My papa forget say he carry pikin enter stadium.
I no see my papa for over 30 minutes
When I see daddy he don turn drummer for supporters club
Baba don shayo dey shake him big belle as he dey drum with ecstasy. Tears full him eyes.
Match end he begin run go stand where he feel say I dey dey shout my name dey go. As bad guy I just dey follow am for yansh ,I dey feel him pain. As I tap am na so I hear sorry sorry dont tell mummy. We snap with all the players one by one.
Taaaa I no go upload. Make my village people wey dey hear no go activate their 4G on top my head
your dad must be a jolly good fellow
Re: Sunday Oliseh Reveals The Secret Behind The Success Of The 1994 Super Eagles. by naptu2: 8:20am On Apr 10, 2019
This game was very important to me because it helped me overcome a bereavement.

Richard Owubokiri was the highest goal scorer in the Portuguese league in 1992 and Rashidi Yekini was the highest goal scorer in Portugal in 1993/1994, so I wanted to see both of them play together.

Many Nigerians believed that Owubokiri's style did not suit the Super Eagles, but I wasn't so sure, so I wanted to see him play.

This was the first ever match between Nigeria and South Africa. It took place at the National Stadium in Lagos on October 10, 1992.

Owubokiri scored the first goal via a header.

Samson Siasia extended our lead.

Rashidi Yekini then scored 2 goals to extend the lead. Samson Siasia controlled an incredibly high ball in order to provide the assist for the 4th goal. It ended

Nigeria 4-0 South Africa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W43TVG676Sg

2 Likes

Re: Sunday Oliseh Reveals The Secret Behind The Success Of The 1994 Super Eagles. by mapet: 8:26am On Apr 10, 2019
naptu2:
I lost my voice and I could have sworn that my heart stopped beating during this game.

This was a game between the two most star studded teams in the competition. They were probably the two best teams in Africa at that time.

The 1994 Super Eagles team needs no introduction, so I'll tell you about the Ivorians.

They had the African legend, Abdoulaye Traore as their captain. They also had one of the best goalkeepers in Alaine Gouamene (who we renamed Allan Quartermaine).

They had Joel Tiehi and the Atletico Madrid star, Serge Alaine Maguy. They also had a young Ahmed Ouattara on the bench.

But I had never heard of Michel Basole before and he was the person that almost killed me on that day. He scored both of Ivory Coast's goals.

Thank heavenly God for Ben Iroha. Iroha injured both Michel Basole and Abdoulaye Traore (they both had to be substituted) and he only got a yellow card.

Not only did Iroha take out both of the Ivorian's danger men, but he also combined beautifully with Yekini to score the first goal (yes, a defender scored our equaliser). Then Yekini scored the equaliser for us.

The rest of the game became a crazy battle between Yekini and Gouamene. Alaine Gouamene showed why he was one of the best goalkeepers in Africa at that time. There was nothing that Yekini did not do, but Gouamene was always in his way.

This led to that famous shot of Westerhof asking God, "Why?"

It was 2-2 at the end of extra time, so the game went to penalties. Westerhof said that he decided that Yekini must take the last penalty because he had the most missed chances.

Of course Yekini scored and took Nigeria to the final.

Let me add more perspective to this
1. Ivory Coast had taken out Ghana, one of the tournament favorites and strongest team in Africa
2. Abdolaye Traore (one of my favorite players) was at his peak. His diving header winning goal that took out Ghana was classic
3. Ivory Coast had the strongest midfield in that tournament. Probably one of the reasons we were shocked in the first half.
4. I too never heard of Basole until then
5. When Oliseh talked about players ahead of their time, one classic example was Ben Iroha. I think he started out as a midfielder till CW converted him to the left back. This was a wing-back when football was yet to know anything called wing-back. One of the reasons why the SE attack was powerful was that a couple of midfielders and defenders like Iroha had high-rate running and joined both the attack and defending at will. This I believe was the Dutch philosophy infused into Nigerian/Brazilina flare of the Super Eagles by CW and Bonfere Jo.
6. I believe this was the game that we discovered that JJ Okocha should actually be a regular rather than a bench player. Recal that prior to that, JJ (then yet to be matured) was given to too much dribling and sometimes not too productive, making CW to bench him. In this game, he brought out his creativity. Not only did himself and Oliseh combined to win the battle in the middle, his dribbling and passing this time was creative and troubled the Ivorians a lot.
7. I could have sworn that it was JJ Okocha that gave Iroha that pass that led to our first goal and not Yekini. I think the commentator got it wrong.
8. Oliseh could deliver a long distance pass from any distance. Did you see that pass to Finidi which led to the second goal?
9. This was a team built around the big boss- Stephen Keshi. Keshi was an inspiration to this team and to Nigerians. Keshi nutured and led this boys. Keshi battled the authorities on behalf of this team several times. I heard Keshi once asked Alex Akinyele (the then Sports Minister) to "excuse" (leave) the dressing room during the half-time of a match as the team needed to "concentrate". Keshi it was who will call, visit players in their clubs and countries to make sure they are well prepared for matches. Keshi it was that refused to "listen" to his club, opting to come to play a Super Eagles match against the club's position. Heard he lost his captainship of the club then, and he didn't bulge. Keshi had an injury around 1993, he didn't recover early enough and lost form; coupled with the fact that age had caught up on him. His dip in form showed in this game and he had to be replaced. So during this tournament, he was limited to few games.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sunday Oliseh Reveals The Secret Behind The Success Of The 1994 Super Eagles. by mapet: 8:35am On Apr 10, 2019
Evercurious:

[quote=YesNo]:

My dear naa property ooh e no like say den never born you by that time. If not you for nay dry talk like this [/quote]

Madam,

Yo too these words out of my mouth
Re: Sunday Oliseh Reveals The Secret Behind The Success Of The 1994 Super Eagles. by mapet: 8:37am On Apr 10, 2019
moscobabs:

Nope. Garba Lawal was farrrrrrrrr offfff. He joined during the qualifiers for 1996 Olympics

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Raymond King, Ex-Nigerian Goalkeeper, Dies (Photo) / Late Chinedu Udoji: Enyimba Star Recounts Last Moments / Africans In The UEFA Champions League 2013/2014

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.