Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,449 members, 7,843,369 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 12:35 AM

I Can End Violent Crimes With 5,000 Policemen — Ribadu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Can End Violent Crimes With 5,000 Policemen — Ribadu (1417 Views)

Home To Farm Cherche For Weapon Will Be Solution To End Violent In The East! / Shehu Sani: I Know Who Can End Boko Haram Menace / I Can End Violent Crimes With 5,000 Policemen — Ribadu ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Can End Violent Crimes With 5,000 Policemen — Ribadu by supereagle(m): 7:11am On Sep 14, 2010
Former Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, on Monday reviewed cases of unresolved high profile murders in the country and boasted that he could end violent crimes in the country with only 5,000 policemen.

“With 5,000 policemen ready to do the work, I can stop violent crimes. What we need is those who are ready to do the right thing, be honest and sincere,” he said.

Ribadu spoke at a commemorative 80th birthday lecture organised by the Bola Ige Movement in honour of the slain former Attorney-General and Minister of Justice, Chief Bola Ige (SAN), in Ibadan, Oyo State.

The lecture, which was witnessed by politicians from the South-West as well as friends and family members of the late minister, was tagged, “The Nigerian dream.”

The ex-EFCC boss, who spoke extempore, said it remained “a horrible national embarrassment and scandalous” matter for a sitting minister of justice to be “cheaply assassinated, without a clue nine years down the line.”

He said, “I feel ashamed as a police officer that we failed the nation in this regard. It is our duty as police officers to protect lives and property; and if we fail to do this, some people will outwit us and commit crime and it will also be our duty to unravel the perpetrators.

“Unfortunately, nobody has been convicted for this heinous crime. In almost every city in the country, there are unresolved cases like this.

“If there is the need to do so, I will apologise on behalf of the force.”

Ribadu said the police could not deliver as expected by the populace because things were being done in the wrong way.

“In Nigeria Police, there are wonderful people but when things don’t work; when corruption has eaten deep into the system; when there are no good leaders, even the good people will be helpless,” he said.

He called for a reform in the police and judiciary as a sure way of getting the nation back on the right track, arguing that the absence of security and order was a fundamental challenge to national growth.

While describing a tainted judiciary as a dangerous slide to anarchy, Ribadu warned that the judiciary could not afford to lose the confidence of the people.

“No noble dream can survive in an atmosphere of insecurity. Economic growth can also not be achieved under such circumstance,” he added.

While bemoaning the lawlessness that currently pervades the nation’s political space, the former EFCC boss regretted that nobody had explained to him the reason behind his dismissal from the police force, after the feat the commission achieved under his leadership.

He said, “We recovered over $500bn across the country. We secured convictions on corruption charges against the big and the mighty.

“Many police officers want a change, but those resisting the much-needed change forced us out of the system with vengeance.

“They went after the boys we took to the EFCC from the police. They did not want the EFCC to change the police, they wanted the police to change the EFCC.

“Despite the over 350, 000 policemen we have in this country, nobody is facing trial over violence, either ethnic or religious, despite their frequent occurrence.”

http://www.punchontheweb.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201009142572185
Re: I Can End Violent Crimes With 5,000 Policemen — Ribadu by MetalGong4: 7:26am On Sep 14, 2010
Nonsensical talk!! . . . Ribadu must have been rehearsing the campaign rhetorics his handlers have given him.
In this upcoming election, Nigerians are too wise to be bamboozled by such pedestrian promises.
Re: I Can End Violent Crimes With 5,000 Policemen — Ribadu by Beaf: 7:34am On Sep 14, 2010
[size=21pt]5000 policemen equates to just seven per local govt area![/size] shocked shocked shocked shocked

Ribadu, I hail! I'll wait and confirm this story, if it is true, his picture vacates my profile! Damn!
Re: I Can End Violent Crimes With 5,000 Policemen — Ribadu by MetalGong4: 7:36am On Sep 14, 2010
Beaf:

[size=21pt]5000 policemen equates to just seven per local govt area![/size] shocked shocked shocked shocked

Ribadu, I hail! I'll wait and confirm this story, if it is true, his picture vacates my profile! Damn!

You will soon vacate that of your inept Uncle GEJ . . .
Re: I Can End Violent Crimes With 5,000 Policemen — Ribadu by Beaf: 7:41am On Sep 14, 2010
MetalGong4:

You will soon vacate that of your inept Uncle GEJ . . .

Silence! grin
If I remove Ribadu from my profile Uncle Joe's "resource control cap" will fill every square inch. cool
Re: I Can End Violent Crimes With 5,000 Policemen — Ribadu by Beaf: 8:03am On Sep 14, 2010
Tribune also has the story. embarassed
Re: I Can End Violent Crimes With 5,000 Policemen — Ribadu by oderemo(m): 8:08am On Sep 14, 2010
If I remove Ribadu from my profile Uncle Joe's "resource control cap" will fill every square inch.

isnt your ucle joe cap in the ring yet.? grin grin grin
Re: I Can End Violent Crimes With 5,000 Policemen — Ribadu by Beaf: 8:12am On Sep 14, 2010
ode remo:

isnt your ucle joe cap in the ring yet.? grin grin grin

No bro, I have Wole Soyinka and Ribadu; but its increasingly looking like Ribadu will be gone.
. . .Then I can really throw the "cap" into the ring! grin
Re: I Can End Violent Crimes With 5,000 Policemen — Ribadu by oderemo(m): 8:17am On Sep 14, 2010
^^,
i know your stock of beef is from proper organic breed. no chemicals. grin grin grin
Re: I Can End Violent Crimes With 5,000 Policemen — Ribadu by chyz(m): 8:22am On Sep 14, 2010
His quote is meant to be figurative, not to be taken literally. Read well.
Re: I Can End Violent Crimes With 5,000 Policemen — Ribadu by oderemo(m): 8:28am On Sep 14, 2010
His quote is meant to be figurative, not to be taken literally. Read the whole context.

which part is figurative?

With 5,000 policemen ready to do the work, I can stop violent crimes. What we need is those who are ready to do the right thing, be honest and sincere,” he said.
if ribadu is to be taken seriously , he must do his maths properly, must choose his words carefully and precise
Re: I Can End Violent Crimes With 5,000 Policemen — Ribadu by chyz(m): 8:37am On Sep 14, 2010
ode remo:

if ribadu is to be taken seriously , he must do his maths properly, must choose his words carefully and precise

In a nutshell he's saying that the insecurity within the police force is corruption and disloyalty.The large number of the policemen make no difference if majority(lets say 95.5%) or all are committing crime themselves. Basically the David and Goliath story.
Re: I Can End Violent Crimes With 5,000 Policemen — Ribadu by Gbawe: 9:37am On Sep 14, 2010
Beaf:

Oga Beaf , Na wa ooo !!! So your hero of yesterday , you actually stated you consider as a future President , can become persona non grata over one statement ? If we then accuse you of a campaign of calumny against anyone opposing Jonathan you get hot under the collar. I bet if Ribadu was not competing and he made this same statement , you would magically get what he means !!!

Ribadu was a Policeman . He knows the system. He is very intelligent also . If he says he needs 5000 men I think most of us would assume he needs 5000 good cops he can train to be "untouchables" who would help him "clean up" as Elliot Ness did when gangterism and police corruption (same as Nigeria) had crippled crime fighting spawning an enviroment where the criminals were more powerful than the lawmen . That is what Nigeria needs. Not a change of "business as usual" and underperforming IG's every year !!!

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/gangsters_outlaws/cops_others/ness/1.html

At the age of 33 in Cleveland, he faced the challenge of his career when he took over the corrupt and incompetent police force in a city that had become a haven for gangsters.

Never one to sit behind a desk and administrate, Eliot took to the street with a new group of trusted confidants, mostly undercover investigators and reporters, until he cleaned up the police force and put the mob chieftains behind bars.
Re: I Can End Violent Crimes With 5,000 Policemen — Ribadu by Gbawe: 9:43am On Sep 14, 2010
ode remo:

Do you really think Ribadu , himself a competent crimefighter , would suggest that he would replace all the officers in the police force with 5000 Rambo/Terminator-type Policemen ?
Re: I Can End Violent Crimes With 5,000 Policemen — Ribadu by Beaf: 9:44am On Sep 14, 2010
Gbawe:

Oga Beaf , Na wa ooo !!! So your hero of yesterday , you actually stated you consider as a future President , can become persona non grata over one statement ? If we then accuse you of a campaign of calumny against anyone opposing Jonathan you get hot under the collar. I bet if Ribadu was not competing and he made this same statement , you would magically get what he means !!!

Ribadu was a Policeman . He knows the system. He is very intelligent also . If he says he needs 5000 men I think most of us would assume he needs 5000 good cops he can train to be "untouchables" who would help him "clean up" as Elliot Ness did when gangterism and police corruption (same as Nigeria) had crippled crime fighting spawning an enviroment where the criminals were more powerful than the lawmen . That is what Nigeria needs. Not a change of "business as usual" and underperforming IG's every year !!!

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/gangsters_outlaws/cops_others/ness/1.html

You are here talking a lot of rubbish as usual. More sensible people than you have already asked intelligent questions about what I said. Stop talking through your arse and learn to use your brain.
If you cared to check my words, you would find that I said I wanted to confirm the story first; if cared to check my profile first before getting into a crazed frenzy to type, you would have seen that Ribadu's photo still well and truly lives there. Scuttle back to your cave.

Gbawe:

Do you really think Ribadu , himself a competent crimefighter , would suggest that he would replace all the officers in the police force with 5000 Rambo/Terminator-type Policemen ?

Even a regular fool knows that 5000 "Rambo/Terminator-type Policemen" in 700 plus LGA's is a sick joke.
Re: I Can End Violent Crimes With 5,000 Policemen — Ribadu by omojand: 10:17am On Sep 14, 2010
I completely agree with Ribadu. In the modern era, policing is no longer simply a game of numbers! 30,000 competent,  very mobile, dedicated and well equiped police men will be more effective than the 350,000 we have in Nigeria today.

There are two key factors to consider here -

1) 5,000 committed, well trained police officers can lead change transformation through the system
2) Violent crime requires rapid response capability and diligent investigative work - 350,000 incompetent zombies may even compound matters.

Its only in Nigeria that armed robbers can lay siege to a bank for hours and it will take up to 3 hours for the police to arrive!, despite that these robbers are not that sophisticated. Why isn't there a tactical response unit that includes trained snipers, equipped even with helicopers, motor bikes? All you need do is twart 10 high profile robberies in a state in dramatic style and watch the effect on those crude robbers. The simple truth is that majority of the senior officers are backward, incompetent and have no clue. GEJ has done well by appointing an AIG and hopefully removing all those DIGs.  But the police force requires transformative leadership by young, vibrant, dedicated officers like Ribadu.

The one thing that shocks me is the mindset of most Nigerians - reading the response on this forum. It shocks me that most people either ignore, or fail to see the reasons the senior police officers wanted Ribadu out at all cost. We just carry on - business as usual and even condemn the victims, sucked in by the extreme propaganda of those desperate to keep Nigeria where it is.

I have always believed that in Nigeria, it's the people that are the biggest problem (ignorance!) and not our leaders.
Re: I Can End Violent Crimes With 5,000 Policemen — Ribadu by Gbawe: 10:39am On Sep 14, 2010
Beaf:

You are here talking a lot of rubbish as usual. More sensible people than you have already asked intelligent questions about what I said. Stop talking through your arse and learn to use your brain.
If you cared to check my words, you would find that I said I wanted to confirm the story first; if cared to check my profile first before getting into a crazed frenzy to type, you would have seen that Ribadu's photo still well and truly lives there. Scuttle back to your cave.

Even a regular fool knows that 5000 "Rambo/Terminator-type Policemen" in 700 plus LGA's is a sick joke.

grin grin grin The usual bellicose tirade. It seems that is all you are capable of these days. Abeg save the insult for those who don't know your modus operandi. Please include a reminder with every post so I know to check your profile in future before I respond    . Well, I don't see the "intelligent questions more sensible people have asked"  , so far , on this thread . Thank god at least one chap gets it.

omojand:

I completely agree with Ribadu. In the modern era, policing is no longer simply a game of numbers! 30,000 competent,  very mobile, dedicated and well equiped police men will be more effective than the 350,000 we have in Nigeria today.

1) 5,000 committed, well trained police officers can lead change transformation through the system
2) Violent crime requires rapid response capability and diligent investigative work - 350,000 incompetent zombies may even compound matters.

Its only in Nigeria that armed robbers can lay siege to a bank for hours and it will take up to 3 hours for the police to arrive!, despite that these robbers are not that sophisticated. Why isn't there a tactical response unit that includes trained snipers, equipped even with helicopers, motor bikes? All you need do is twart 10 high profile robberies in a state in dramatic style and watch the effect on those crude robbers. The simple truth is that majority of the senior officers are backward, incompetent and have no clue. GEJ has done well by appointing an AIG and hopefully removing all those DIGs.  But the police force requires transformative leadership by young, vibrant, dedicated officers like Ribadu.

The one thing that shocks me is the mindset of most Nigerians - reading the response on this forum. It shocks me that most people either ignore, or fail to see the reasons the senior police officers wanted Ribadu out at all cost. We just carry on - business as usual and even condemn the victims, sucked in by the extreme propaganda of those desperate to keep Nigeria where it is.

I have always believed that in Nigeria, it's the people that are the biggest problem (ignorance!) and not our leaders.
Re: I Can End Violent Crimes With 5,000 Policemen — Ribadu by Moves: 12:30pm On Sep 14, 2010
What He is saying is possible, He never said replace the 350,000 police men with 5,000 policemen, He is this context of violent crime posturing that with a dedicated 5,000 policemen he would be able to achieve a reduction in violent crime, very very possible,
What I find unbelievable is that we have 350,000 police men in nigeria, Totally Unbelievable, with the amount of crimes wehave going on, and this is just police alone, not including other associated forces and paramilitary forces, As at 22 July 2010 UK has 143,734 Policemen, What is required is honest leadership to initiate change in the police force,
Re: I Can End Violent Crimes With 5,000 Policemen — Ribadu by Nobody: 12:58pm On Sep 14, 2010
Did one man - ribadu - not give hope that someone had the stones to take on corruption?

in cold hard terms, ribadu, and a few trusted right hand men were EFCC.

let those who hsve been looking for excuse to start cussing out ribadu take their excuse tongue tongue tongue
Re: I Can End Violent Crimes With 5,000 Policemen — Ribadu by KnowAll(m): 3:58pm On Sep 14, 2010
[size=14pt]Give 5,000 men full training and the ammunitions required plus a minimum pay of N100,000.00 a month, even at a low statistics which equates to 7 coppers per LG they would take down a hoard and enough load of unskilled and illiterate hoodlums carrying guns intimidating people all over our country, these people who are no more than street urchins with a weapon would be taught a good lessons by a skilled force.

These hooligans who terrorize Nigerians all over the country are presently enjoying the fear factor, they know that when they go and raid a location both citizens and the supposedly Law Enforcement Officer’s take to their heels.

With 7 Brave and well paid men whose desire is to be in the thick of the action,  charging towards a melee and anarchy would have made their day, those unruly marauders brandishing arms all over the place would surely be giving a proper thumping and a bitter taste of their own medicine in such confrontation. I agree with Ribadu that it is doable.

For this same reason I have always canvassed for the introduction of Bounty Hunters whose prerogative and job would be to bring the scalps of hoodlums to the attention of authority for a fee, this method works where law and order has broken down.

I am afraid Nigeria in 2010 is just like the Western Part of the US of the 1820’s.[/size]
Re: I Can End Violent Crimes With 5,000 Policemen — Ribadu by Kobojunkie: 4:02pm On Sep 14, 2010
Moves:

[size=13pt]What He is saying is possible, He never said replace the 350,000 police men with 5,000 policemen, He is this context of violent crime posturing that with a dedicated 5,000 policemen he would be able to achieve a reduction in violent crime, very very possible, [/size]
What I find unbelievable is that we have 350,000 police men in nigeria, Totally Unbelievable, with the amount of crimes wehave going on, and this is just police alone, not including other associated forces and paramilitary forces, As at 22 July 2010 UK has 143,734 Policemen, What is required is honest leadership to initiate change in the police force,

That seemed to be the clear message but apparently, not everyone got that! lipsrsealed
Re: I Can End Violent Crimes With 5,000 Policemen — Ribadu by babapupa: 4:18pm On Sep 14, 2010
These illiterates still don't know how to read and comprehend,
Re: I Can End Violent Crimes With 5,000 Policemen — Ribadu by oderemo(m): 4:46pm On Sep 14, 2010
These illiterates still don't know how to read and comprehend,
thats all you hack on all tha time.illiterates this , illiterates that.
what you on. mr lasubrigbe.
Re: I Can End Violent Crimes With 5,000 Policemen — Ribadu by Kobojunkie: 4:48pm On Sep 14, 2010
ode remo:

ROFLMAO~!!
Re: I Can End Violent Crimes With 5,000 Policemen — Ribadu by Nobody: 4:59pm On Sep 14, 2010
ode remo:

grin cheesy grin

@Thread
grin grin grin grin grin Amen!
Re: I Can End Violent Crimes With 5,000 Policemen — Ribadu by bkbabe97y(m): 6:12pm On Sep 14, 2010
omojand:

I completely agree with Ribadu. In the modern era, policing is no longer simply a game of numbers! 30,000 competent,  [b]very mobile, dedicated and well equiped police men will be more effective than the 350,000 we have in Nigeria today.

Its only in Nigeria that armed robbers can lay siege to a bank for hours and it will take up to 3 hours for the police to arrive!, despite that these robbers are not that sophisticated. Why isn't there a tactical response unit that includes trained snipers, equipped even with helicopers, motor bikes? All you need do is twart 10 high profile robberies in a state in dramatic style and watch the effect on those crude robbers. The simple truth is that majority of the senior officers are backward, incompetent and have no clue. GEJ has done well by appointing an AIG and hopefully removing all those DIGs.  But the police force requires transformative leadership by young, vibrant, dedicated officers like Ribadu.[/b]

[b]I have always believed that in Nigeria, it's the people that are the biggest problem (ignorance!) [/b]and not our leaders.

Spot on!
Re: I Can End Violent Crimes With 5,000 Policemen — Ribadu by Afam4eva(m): 6:33pm On Sep 14, 2010
Some people are foolish sha. Nigerians are not that stupid. Abeg this guy should use another strategy.
Re: I Can End Violent Crimes With 5,000 Policemen — Ribadu by Nobody: 6:41pm On Sep 14, 2010
That is the dream, I hail Ribadu for that dream. `I pray you bring it to pass.
Re: I Can End Violent Crimes With 5,000 Policemen — Ribadu by supereagle(m): 8:03pm On Sep 14, 2010
Many of you read the man out of context.
Re: I Can End Violent Crimes With 5,000 Policemen — Ribadu by Beaf: 8:30pm On Sep 14, 2010
Gbawe:

grin grin grin The usual bellicose tirade. It seems that is all you are capable of these days. Abeg save the insult for those who don't know your modus operandi. Please include a reminder with every post so I know to check your profile in future before I respond . Well, I don't see the "intelligent questions more sensible people have asked" , so far , on this thread . Thank god at least one chap gets it.

Dude, it is foolish not to check something before you comment on it, don't you agree?

Imagine a state like Abia where kidnapping is rampant.
Abia has 17 LG's, so at 7 of Ribadu's "Rambo/Terminator-type Policemen" per LG, we would have 119 super heroes to quell violence, bank robberies and kidnapping in the whole state. shocked shocked shocked
. . .And I used to think miracle preaching was strictly a church affair!

While I am giving Ribadu the benefit of the doubt and awaiting his rebutal, coarse brained folk like yourself have accepted something so absolutely ridiculous and far out. Like I said earlier, people with a more intelligent approach than yourself have already dealt with the question in more sensible ways.
Re: I Can End Violent Crimes With 5,000 Policemen — Ribadu by supereagle(m): 4:10am On Sep 15, 2010
Every problem in Nigeria has a solution, but when one has an idea on how to solve it , some powerful people will not allow the idea to see the light of the day.
Re: I Can End Violent Crimes With 5,000 Policemen — Ribadu by kosovo(m): 4:11am On Sep 15, 2010
Someone Pls tell Ribadu to go back to the hole he came out from . . Good Riddance!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Low Voters In Yoruba/Non-Yorubalands And High Number Of Voters In Igboland? / Queen Elizabeth 11 Largest Landowner On Earth / British Tv News Analysis Nigerian History 1960-1970

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.