Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,762 members, 7,817,106 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:53 AM

Abdulmutallab Fires Us Lawyers ! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abdulmutallab Fires Us Lawyers ! (4886 Views)

Underwear Bomber Umar Farouq Abdulmutallab Appeals Life Term Sentence / Osama Bin Laden Is Alive - Abdulmutallab / New Video of Training, Martyrdom Statements : Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abdulmutallab Fires Us Lawyers ! by wales(m): 6:10am On Sep 15, 2010
A Nigerian man accused of trying to blow up a United States airliner with a bomb in his underwear last year, Farouk AbdulMutallab, fired his court-appointed lawyers on Monday and raised the possibility of pleading guilty to some charges.

AbdulMutallab, who pleaded not guilty in January to trying to blow up a transatlantic flight on Christmas Day, over Detroit, Michigan, said his lawyers were not serving his best interests and asked a judge to let him represent himself, Reuters reports.

The case is USA v Abdulmutallab, 2:10-cr-20005, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan.

“If I want to plead guilty to some counts, how would that work?” AbdulMutallab asked US District Court Judge Nancy Edmunds during a 15-minute court appearance.

Edmunds strongly urged him not to fire his lawyers but eventually agreed to allow AbdulMutallab’s request.

He was told that he would have to appoint new lawyers to act as consultants to him. Edmunds told him they would be able to answer questions about his plea.

AbdulMutallab, boarded a Northwest Airlines jumbo jet flight from Amsterdam to Detroit and towards the end of the trip, he allegedly tried to ignite a bomb sewn into his underwear, prosecutors said.

They said it failed to fully detonate and he was subdued by passengers and crew and the fire was contained.

He was subsequently charged with attempting to use a weapon of mass destruction, attempted murder and four other offenses, charges that could lead to life imprisonment if convicted.

He had been cooperating with US investigators for several months and told them that he received the device and training from al-Qaeda militants in Yemen. Abdulmutallab suffered severe burns from the explosives.

A Justice Department spokesman declined to comment on whether Abdulmutallab was still cooperating with authorities.

The failed attack led to further efforts by the Obama administration to strengthen US airline security.

In a court filing ahead of his appearance, Abdulmutallab’s lawyers said they had met in person and by phone “on multiple occasions with government counsel to discuss options for the resolution of the case.”

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201009154394675

Re: Abdulmutallab Fires Us Lawyers ! by wales(m): 6:11am On Sep 15, 2010
I guess they shd inform him. Did he study sharia law? If he did, did he think they will judge his case base on sharia law? Did he attend law school or Univeristy of Alqueda to study law? Let them advice this boy very well not to fire his lawyer so that they can handle his case very well so that he can have a better judgement o. I pity the guy anyway, he must have realize his mistake.
Re: Abdulmutallab Fires Us Lawyers ! by PurestBoy(m): 1:23pm On Sep 15, 2010
Has he not been shot?? Why are they allowing him to live?? Someone whose mission was to kill alot of people on flight. They should give him electric chair so that he can have his 72virgins before that place ran out of virgins.
Re: Abdulmutallab Fires Us Lawyers ! by bisiaet: 1:43pm On Sep 15, 2010
Possibly this boy may be thinking he is in sharia court or may be the burn he suffered might have affected his Vision and his perceiving the sitting judge like Bin Laden or possibly he might be thinking he is still in Yemen training jungle I think the lawyer and judge need to wake him up and tell him boy this is no joke case.
Re: Abdulmutallab Fires Us Lawyers ! by Kx: 1:52pm On Sep 15, 2010
If u playback the video of 9-11 and listen to the subdued telefone conversations of passengers on board the hijacked flights that ochestrated the attack on the WTC, u wont waste a day in sending this mutal fool to meet his 72 demons.

Whats d problem with america?
what if dis guy had succeeded?
why deny the fool the right to die without further delay?
Re: Abdulmutallab Fires Us Lawyers ! by bestman09(m): 2:17pm On Sep 15, 2010
Shebi the guy bi wan kill himself? Pls, these Americans should help him quick to hell instead of denying him his FUNDAMENTAL HUMAN RIGHT TO DIE. [img]">http://grin grin grin[/img]
Re: Abdulmutallab Fires Us Lawyers ! by noblegas2(m): 2:20pm On Sep 15, 2010
America isnt lyk Nigeria wer thangs are done anyhow.am sure ya'll knw d meaning of protocol?
Re: Abdulmutallab Fires Us Lawyers ! by DrCork: 2:39pm On Sep 15, 2010
is he IBO? he look it
Re: Abdulmutallab Fires Us Lawyers ! by nanidee(f): 3:10pm On Sep 15, 2010
Dr Cork:

is he IBO? he look it

, it takes one terrorist to recognise another!! tongue tongue
Re: Abdulmutallab Fires Us Lawyers ! by chelseabmw(m): 3:19pm On Sep 15, 2010
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Abdulmutallab Fires Us Lawyers ! by chelseabmw(m): 3:33pm On Sep 15, 2010
Dr Cork:

is he IBO? he look it

na i know y u r so dull like yakubu grin grin
Re: Abdulmutallab Fires Us Lawyers ! by Exponental(m): 3:44pm On Sep 15, 2010
o y o!
Re: Abdulmutallab Fires Us Lawyers ! by Ranoscky(m): 3:46pm On Sep 15, 2010
Kx

Dat is 1 of doz things dat beat's me to d core dat i keep wonderin if dis americans r humaned by drugs, dat if dey fail to take dia drugs, dey would b'com ABNORMAL! angry
Can u imagine som1, not only dat d bas-tard want's to blow up his miserable lyf, buh both with d live's of some other innocent passengers aboard dsame flight, n dey'r hia judgin a terrorist? undecided
Maybe if convinced, Abdulmutallab (a terrorist) would be jailed for several yrs, n after servin however yrs he would be sentenced, dey'll free d terrorist n allow d terrorist to go. shocked N later, dat same terrorist will go back to his terrorist Al-Qaeda master's to train for more programme on how to destroy d lyf's of some innocent americans dat know's nottin about dia miserable terrorist act, n d FOOLS dat called demselfs GORV n JUDGES of d so called america would be saved. If so, y d huntin of Osama Binladen wen dey know dat if dey catch's him, dey won't kill him, buh jail him for lyf? who know's maybe (if paradventure) dey catch Osama Binladen, dey myt forget to take dia drugs dat make's dem "normal" n free d Bas-tard after some yrs dat he has been detained, sayin it's part of human right?) undecided

Oh, America. What a country! cry
Re: Abdulmutallab Fires Us Lawyers ! by Guyman02: 4:06pm On Sep 15, 2010
If he were to be in Nigeria, by now the Police report would read:
SUSPECT WAS SHOT DEAD WHILE ATTEMPTING TO ESCAPE FROM POLICE CUSTODY (File Closed)
But he is lucky say na Americans catch am, thats why he even have the efrontery to reject his lawyer. Does he know how many awaiting trial inmates in Nigeria that cant get even if na Charge and Bail Lawyer to prosecute their case of stealing ordinary fowl that he needs to get protein for him body.
Re: Abdulmutallab Fires Us Lawyers ! by sayso: 4:11pm On Sep 15, 2010
may be he wants to end it,but America has a way of getting details from the guy.
Re: Abdulmutallab Fires Us Lawyers ! by Nobody: 4:14pm On Sep 15, 2010
Mr. Cork each day the level of your dumity improve higher, NO OFFEINSE.

@topic, I feel for because he is a little boy who was mislead by the goddamn Islamic pathetic believe. But in other words I don't care about him and his lunatic decision.
Re: Abdulmutallab Fires Us Lawyers ! by lepa001(f): 4:18pm On Sep 15, 2010
Can't you guy think, think and stop talk like, (I dont know sef) Did you think US is lik Nigeria or other Africa country, If dey kill the guy, tell me what will dey gain. Dont you know keeping the guy ll help them a lot by getting more info. abt the others plan. Dey is a law that guard every Country and every crime has  punishment. If the guy is even found guilt, he will only spend the rest of his life in prison and not been killed.
Re: Abdulmutallab Fires Us Lawyers ! by bkbabe97y(m): 4:27pm On Sep 15, 2010
Dude, is sizzzzick! grin He finally realizes he's aint never getting out that hole they got him in. He can fire all the lawyers he wants, he's still dying in prison for trying to kill innocent Americans. I bet now he wishes he tied that damn bomb far from his nuts! grin
Re: Abdulmutallab Fires Us Lawyers ! by HighChief4(m): 4:29pm On Sep 15, 2010
Ranoscky:

Kx

Dat is 1 of doz things dat beat's me to d core dat i keep wonderin if dis americans r humaned by drugs, dat if dey fail to take dia drugs, dey would b'com ABNORMAL! angry
Can u imagine som1, not only dat d bas-tard want's to blow up his miserable lyf, buh both with d live's of some other innocent passengers aboard dsame flight, n dey'r hia judgin a terrorist? undecided
Maybe if convinced, Abdulmutallab (a terrorist) would be jailed for several yrs, n after servin however yrs he would be sentenced, dey'll free d terrorist n allow d terrorist to go. shocked N later, dat same terrorist will go back to his terrorist Al-Qaeda master's to train for more programme on how to destroy d lyf's of some innocent americans dat know's nottin about dia miserable terrorist act, n d FOOLS dat called demselfs GORV n JUDGES of d so called america would be saved. If so, y d huntin of Osama Binladen wen dey know dat if dey catch's him, dey won't kill him, buh jail him for lyf? who know's maybe (if paradventure) dey catch Osama Binladen, dey myt forget to take dia drugs dat make's dem "normal" n free d Bas-tard after some yrs dat he has been detained, sayin it's part of human right?) undecided

Oh, America. What a country! cry
Am sure they are investigating him thoroughly, cos the findings could provide more information about these terrorists. Nigerians are always fast to kill such people without proper investigations which could lead to implicating some top politicians who are really behind such crime, so it's good they take their time, maybe the sick boy could reveal much, which will help to know those that helped him board the plane and their accomplice in america. my 2 cents
Re: Abdulmutallab Fires Us Lawyers ! by mrkoma2012: 4:37pm On Sep 15, 2010
And so what, the world should simply aside all cos of some spoilt brat??
Re: Abdulmutallab Fires Us Lawyers ! by Ibomade1: 4:46pm On Sep 15, 2010
Is this not the guy that set fire on his John Thomas in the vain hope of blowing up a plane.

I hope his sausage is still intact. But think about it, he won't be using it for a very long time.  grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Abdulmutallab Fires Us Lawyers ! by astuto: 4:48pm On Sep 15, 2010
The boy is a common terrorist; it's a huge shame that he is from our beloved Nigeria. Maybe he was even a member of Nairaland  grin
He should get the full treatment accorded terrorists. I am surprised that they (U.S) are still looking at him.  They should just get all the info they need from him, and either stash him in jail for life, or execute him.

I believe every true Nigerian has disowned him by now. Spoilt brat/ Terrorist scum!  angry angry angry
Re: Abdulmutallab Fires Us Lawyers ! by ProExcel: 5:11pm On Sep 15, 2010
I thought he's fathers wealth would save him, being the former Chairman of first bank. I guess U.S is not like Nigeria where he could have gotten away with anything.
Re: Abdulmutallab Fires Us Lawyers ! by mamagee3(f): 5:34pm On Sep 15, 2010
He's still a daft!

Nothing changes.
Re: Abdulmutallab Fires Us Lawyers ! by eros(m): 5:36pm On Sep 15, 2010
PurestBoy:

Has he not been shot?? Why are they allowing him to live?? Someone whose mission was to kill alot of people on flight. They should give him electric chair so that he can have his 72virgins before that place ran out of virgins.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Abdulmutallab Fires Us Lawyers ! by Nobody: 5:38pm On Sep 15, 2010
Omo yen fine sha. So sad. Why cant the ugly Nigerian men be the psychotic ones?
Re: Abdulmutallab Fires Us Lawyers ! by Dreamchaser1(f): 5:56pm On Sep 15, 2010
what muttallab did was wrong.truth. does he deserve to die because of it? i dont think so. me thinks we all deserve a second chance to life. he made a mistake, i think he probably regrets and now has a contrite heart. i think he should be punished but not with death and not for life.
Re: Abdulmutallab Fires Us Lawyers ! by Africanson: 5:57pm On Sep 15, 2010
Please don't forget America is not Nigeria rather it's a working government/country that works with their brain. They would prefare not killing the stupid boy so they would obtain more information from him for life!!. That's what is called a country!.

I' am just glad that Nigerians do not support evil as all posts here shows.
Re: Abdulmutallab Fires Us Lawyers ! by sirp2007: 6:05pm On Sep 15, 2010
Guyman02:

If he were to be in Nigeria, by now the Police report would read:
SUSPECT WAS SHOT DEAD WHILE ATTEMPTING TO ESCAPE FROM POLICE CUSTODY (File Closed)
But he is lucky say na Americans catch am, thats why he even have the efrontery to reject his lawyer. Does he know how many awaiting trial inmates in Nigeria that cant get even if na Charge and Bail Lawyer to prosecute their case of stealing ordinary fowl that he needs to get protein for him body.
funny
Ranoscky link=topic=513681.msg6758691#msg6758691 date=128456200
[quote author=bisiaet:

Possibly this boy may be thinking he is in sharia court or may be the burn he suffered might have affected his Vision and his perceiving the sitting judge like Bin Laden or possibly he might be thinking he is still in Yemen training jungle I think the lawyer and judge need to wake him up and tell him boy this is no joke case.

very funny.

l feel d guy still have d right 2 fair hearing.
american govt will also want 2 extract useful info from him
Re: Abdulmutallab Fires Us Lawyers ! by EvilBrain1(m): 6:16pm On Sep 15, 2010
In cases like this, the government lawyers almost always offer a plea bargain to save time and trial costs. But because the evidence is so conclusive, 'mutallab is unlikely to be offered any deal that doesn't involve him spending the bulk of his adult life in prison.

He most likely sacked his lawyers because he doesn't like whats being offered and he thinks they're not doing their best to negotiate a soft sentence for him. Or maybe he thinks he can do better himself. He's wrong of course, and he has seriously hurt his case by doing this. But its still his right no matter how dumb it may be.

The way things are going, he's going to end up being sentenced to life in prison (luckily, since he didn't manage to kill anyone, the death penalty is off the table).

Things are looking very bleak for Abdulfarouk.
Re: Abdulmutallab Fires Us Lawyers ! by OLASHENIMS: 6:32pm On Sep 15, 2010
mess him jooooo , he still get support
Re: Abdulmutallab Fires Us Lawyers ! by Beaf: 6:33pm On Sep 15, 2010
His panties and last pieces of d.i.c.k.  shocked shocked shocked

(1) (2) (Reply)

World Bank: Goodluck Jonathan Endorses Ngozi Okonjo-iweala / B-r-e-a-k-i-n-g N-e-w-s,trouble For Apc, Court Prepares To Jail Tinubu 4 FORGERY / Donald Trump In Twitter Spat With Saudi Prince Alwaleed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.