Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,476 members, 7,819,736 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:01 PM

Another Revelation On The Jan.1966 Coup - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Another Revelation On The Jan.1966 Coup (5000 Views)

Was The Jan 15, 1966 Coup An Igbo Coup? A Detribilized, Historical Perspective / Wikileak's Revelation On Fuel Subsidy & Gej Corrupt Practices / Dora Akunyili And Her "sudden" Revelation On Nigeria Problems! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Another Revelation On The Jan.1966 Coup by marvix(m): 9:17pm On Sep 15, 2010
@bk babe my candid advice is ignore Chys he has no contribution to this thread.

He is just a very good example of an educated illiterate or how else does one explain the question "how does this help the yorubas" In case you don't know its history!
Re: Another Revelation On The Jan.1966 Coup by chyz(m): 9:23pm On Sep 15, 2010
marvix:

@bk babe my candid advice is ignore Chys he has no contribution to this thread.

He is just a very good example of an educated illiterate or how else does one explain the question "how does this help the yorubas" In case you don't know its history!

I really enjoyed the thousands of comments you've contributed to this thread as well.
Re: Another Revelation On The Jan.1966 Coup by Dede1(m): 10:31pm On Sep 15, 2010
T9ksy:

Dede, I believe you having problem comprefending my post. My premise is that the 1st coup was an igbo coup with the sole purpose of taking over power from the North either democratically or militarily. As it transpired, they done it thru Ironsi but as we now heard, the civilian govt did not "voluntarily" handed over power to Ironsi. He took it at gun-point.

As per the british aid, I never said Ironsi solicitted for their aid rather the remaining members of NPC did to which Ironsi lied to them that it was too late for that and they have to hand over power to him NOW to enable him to foil the coup when he knew that the coup was practically over.

However way you wanna cut it, the igbos carried out the 1st coup in the country whereby both top military and civilian personnel frpom other regions were wasted whilst none from their region was touched. However, we are supposed to b elieve that the coup was a national one, which just coincidentally ended up with an igbo leader.

You guys are just too bloody smart for your own good!!! U ought to form your own nation and turn it into el dorado!!!

It appears you are the person having comprehensible problem. NPC ministers approached their godfathers, in this case British, for military aide and they were informed by British undersecretary that such request had to come from Prime Minister. At this juncture, Ironsi informed them such endeavor was too late and the coup had been crushed. Was the coup not crushed as Ironis stated? Please, for the sake of argument, could you help us understand how Ironsi lied about the coup been crushed?
Re: Another Revelation On The Jan.1966 Coup by karo93: 10:43pm On Sep 15, 2010
In my opinion since the two parties could not pick a common candidate for the position of acting PM,what is Nwafor orizu expected to have done?favour one party's candidate over another?[seeing as his party was the minority],wait for the two parties to arrive at a common candidate at a point when the country needed a leader most to reduce the tension around or simply hand over to the GOC who was willing to take over the government whilst the civilians apparently werent ready?

The NPC picked a member of their party and NCNC likewise.why wouldnt Nwafor also prefer a member of his party[NCNC]?[i believe he would have sworn in a nominee of his party if they had the majority]Nwafor had a decision to either betray his party and say it was for "the nation's good"or hand over.

MY OPINION
Re: Another Revelation On The Jan.1966 Coup by Abagworo(m): 10:51pm On Sep 15, 2010
How quick they are to declare Delta as Igbo right now.What an irony.This thread is reference for future arguments.
Re: Another Revelation On The Jan.1966 Coup by T9ksy(m): 11:07pm On Sep 15, 2010
Posted by: Dede1
It appears you are the person having comprehensible problem. NPC ministers approached their godfathers, in this case British, for military aide and they were informed by British undersecretary that such request had to come from Prime Minister. At this juncture, Ironsi informed them such endeavor was too late and the coup had been crushed. Was the coup not crushed as Ironis stated? Please, for the sake of argument, could you help us understand how Ironsi lied about the coup been crushed?

Haba Dede, did you bother to read the link Bk posted at the beginning of this thread 'cause I can't seem to construe where you got the bolded part from?  Anyway, incase, you were too lazy to read the whole text or just couldn't comprehend the content, here's an excerpt for you to peruse, all over again:

I (Shehu Shagari), was about to break the Ramadan fast on Sunday 16th January, when all ministers were asked to report to the Cabinet Office at 6.30 pm. (Around this time Majors Ifeajunna & Okafor were already on their way to Ghana after having already had tea with the premier of eastern region. all the other coupists in the south were rounded up by 07:00am, that same morning at Ironsi's command.). The whole premises was surrounded by soldiers in battle order that some of us initially hesitated to enter. In the Cabinet chamber were Major General Ironsi, Bukar Dipcharima and Ibrahim Tako Galadima. There were no officials present.

Major General Ironsi admitted to us that he had been unable to suppress the rebellion, which he said was getting out of hand. He stated that the mutineers were in control of Kaduna, Kano and Ibadan, and had killed two regional premiers, Sir Ahmadu Bello and Chief Akintola. They had also murdered a number of his best officers, including Brigadiers Maimalari and Samuel Adesujo Ademulegun, the Commander 1st Brigade Headquarters in Kaduna. Ironsi was full of emotion and even shed some tears. When we asked him about the whereabouts of Sir ABubakar and Chief Okotie-Eboh, he said he still did not know but averred efforts were being made to locate them. At this stage Mbadiwe broke down and kept crying: “Please where is the Prime Minister?”  
When we reminded Major-General Ironsi if he needed to avail himself of the British pledge of assistance, he replied it was too late as the army was pressing him to assume power. Indeed, he confessed his personal reluctance to take over because of his ignorance of government; but insisted the boys were adamant and anxiously waiting outside. He advised it would be in our interest, and that of the country, to temporarily cede power to him to avert disaster. Accordingly, we acceded to his request since we had no better alternative. Ironsi then insisted that the understanding be written.

At least, one thing Ironsi was right about was his ignorance of govt. which eventually culminated in his demise. The man was a bare-faced liar!
Re: Another Revelation On The Jan.1966 Coup by T9ksy(m): 11:30pm On Sep 15, 2010
Posted by: karo93
In my opinion since the two parties could not pick a common candidate for the position of acting PM,what is Nwafor orizu expected to have done?favour one party's candidate over another?[seeing as his party was the minority],wait for the two parties to arrive at a common candidate at a point when the country needed a leader most to reduce the tension around or simply hand over to the GOC who was willing to take over the government whilst the civilians apparently werent ready?

The NPC picked a member of their party and NCNC likewise.why wouldnt Nwafor also prefer a member of his party[NCNC]?[i believe he would have sworn in a nominee of his party if they had the majority]Nwafor had a decision to either betray his party and say it was for "the nation's good"or hand over.

MY OPINION

Karo, if your contribution is going to be this infantile, then, i suggest, you keep it to yourself.

How Can NCNC have a majority if they are the junior partner in a coalition? Moreover, we are expected to believe that the coup was national (in composition) but the igbos were unabashedly willing to capitalise on it , even if its unconstitutional.
Re: Another Revelation On The Jan.1966 Coup by Obiagu1(m): 11:44pm On Sep 15, 2010
I remember this has been discussed for so long before. Exactly the same topic.

My quote of the day: So how does this help the progress of the yoruba people?

It will be interesting to get an answer.
Re: Another Revelation On The Jan.1966 Coup by sbeezy8: 11:53pm On Sep 15, 2010
Obiagu1:

It will be interesting to get an answer.

[size=13pt]BECAUSE THE BASIS OF IGBOS ARGUMENT AND PEOPLE LIKE MBU WAS THAT THE COUP WAS CARRIED OUT TO INSTALL AWO ! WHICH IS A LIE.[/size]

so this helps keep the name of awo out of the jan coup carried out by igbos.
Re: Another Revelation On The Jan.1966 Coup by sbeezy8: 11:57pm On Sep 15, 2010
Yorubas dont care who started it - the only thing that concerns yoruba people is the LIES that many have made up about Kaduna being Hausa, Awo sponsoring the coupe from jaiil . . . .

Igbos should just let a sleeping dog lie=
Re: Another Revelation On The Jan.1966 Coup by TewMuch: 11:58pm On Sep 15, 2010
sbeezy8:

[size=13pt]BECAUSE THE BASIS OF IGBOS ARGUMENT AND PEOPLE LIKE MBU WAS THAT THE COUP WAS CARRIED OUT TO INSTALL AWO ! WHICH IS  A LIE.[/size]

so this helps keep the name of awo out of the jan coup  carried out by igbos.

grin grin grin grin

Dont mind them, so slippery. There's nothing bad in staging a coup and claiming ownership for the catastrophe. At least they can learn something instead of blaming all their problems on Yoruba's. Then they are asking how it affects the Yoruba people? We dont owe you poo, that is what. You make your bed, you lie in it. simple. Yoruba's were not helping Igbo's plot poo, except some friends of the officers who did at their own risk. and they were random military officers. Now that the hard truth has been revealed, we let sleeping dogs lie as long as they dont bring up that nonsense again.
Re: Another Revelation On The Jan.1966 Coup by chyz(m): 11:59pm On Sep 15, 2010
sbeezy8:

[size=13pt]BECAUSE THE BASIS OF IGBOS ARGUMENT AND PEOPLE LIKE MBU WAS THAT THE COUP WAS CARRIED OUT TO INSTALL AWO ! WHICH IS  A LIE.[/size]

so this helps keep the name of awo out of the jan coup  carried out by igbos.

No. The question is how does this help the progress of the yoruba people? whether awolowo was a scum or king is not the issue.
Re: Another Revelation On The Jan.1966 Coup by Obiagu1(m): 12:03am On Sep 16, 2010
You all have not answered the question:

[size=16pt]So how does this help the progress of the yoruba people?[/size]
Re: Another Revelation On The Jan.1966 Coup by T9ksy(m): 12:05am On Sep 16, 2010
Posted by: Obiagu1

It will be interesting to get an answer

By making them (and other groups, too) realise never to trust the igbo man as he's always got something up his sleeves, even when he's shedding crocodile tears.

The (landlocked) Igbos have been striving for decades, to extend their hegemony onto yorubaland.
Re: Another Revelation On The Jan.1966 Coup by chyz(m): 12:06am On Sep 16, 2010
T9ksy:

Posted by: Obiagu1
By making them (and other groups, too) realise never to trust the igbo man as he's always got something up his sleeves, even when he's shedding crocodile tears.

The (landlocked) Igbos have been striving for decades, to extend their hegemony onto yorubaland.

You still haven't answered the question but instead went on an emotional rant. Answer the question.
Re: Another Revelation On The Jan.1966 Coup by sbeezy8: 12:07am On Sep 16, 2010
chyz:

No. The question is how does this help the progress of the yoruba people? whether awolowo was a scum or king is not the issue.

Obiagu1:

You all have not answered the question:

[size=16pt]So how does this help the progress of the yoruba people?[/size]

it doesnt help yorubas progress in anyway because yorubas are doing fine(we just have bad govs!)- but as a yoruba I find satisfaction in knowing innocent Awo had nothing to do with the "igbo coupe".

pls igbo should just take repsonsiblity for the wack coupe- no biggie.
Re: Another Revelation On The Jan.1966 Coup by chyz(m): 12:11am On Sep 16, 2010
sbeezy8:

it doesnt help yorubas progress in anyway because yorubas are doing fine(we just have bad govs!)- but as a yoruba I find satisfaction in knowing innocent Awo had nothing to do with the "igbo coupe".

pls igbo should just take repsonsiblity for the wack coupe- no biggie.

Thanx for at least admitting the bolded.However, im still giving bk babe a benefit of a doubt because he must of started this thread because it had something to do with the progress of the yoruba people. So again i ask the OP, how does this help the progress of the yoruba people?
Re: Another Revelation On The Jan.1966 Coup by T9ksy(m): 12:27am On Sep 16, 2010
@ chyz,

That's got nothing to do with you. You should concern yourself with how your threachrous igbos people are going to progress. However, it's now been proven beyond reasonably doubt that, you igbos initiated the 1st military coup in the annal of our history and in the process, gave us One Nigeria.

Moral of this exercise is Never trust an igbo man!
Re: Another Revelation On The Jan.1966 Coup by TewMuch: 12:27am On Sep 16, 2010
chyz:

Thanx for at least admitting the bolded.However, im still giving bk babe a benefit of a doubt because he must of started this thread because it had something to do with the progress of the yoruba people. So again i ask the OP, how does this help the progress of the yoruba people?
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy

Hahahahahha, with the Igbo people's claim on Nairaland so far, this is an excellent thread. Now you are speechless and have repeated your one-liner over and over. You are getting the true account of events and a history lesson, not the crap you have been brainwashed with. Learn something and digest it. Stop being defensive because you know you have been caught like a bush rat. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Another Revelation On The Jan.1966 Coup by sbeezy8: 12:30am On Sep 16, 2010
I have to give it to the igboman- Zik if not for him we wouldnt have One Nigeria.

Awo was ready to have a southern Nigeria or atleast a West Nigeria as a country BUT THANK GOD ZIK WENT TO THE NORTH.

Now we have One Nigeria
Re: Another Revelation On The Jan.1966 Coup by chyz(m): 12:35am On Sep 16, 2010
sbeezy8:

I have to give it to the igboman- Zik if not for him we wouldnt have One Nigeria.

Awo was ready to have a southern Nigeria or atleast a West Nigeria as a country BUT THANK GOD ZIK WENT TO THE NORTH.

Now we have One Nigeria

That's what awolowo fought for and thanx to him it worked.
Re: Another Revelation On The Jan.1966 Coup by Katsumoto: 12:36am On Sep 16, 2010
TewMuch:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy

Hahahahahha, with the Igbo people's claim on Nairaland so far, this is an excellent thread. Now you are speechless and have repeated your one-liner over and over. You are getting the true account of events and a history lesson, not the crap you have been brainwashed with. Learn something and digest it. Stop being defensive because you know you have been caught like a bush rat. grin grin grin grin grin

Talk about sounding like a broken record.

Notice how this thread is only 3 pages long despite being online for almost 24 hours. If it were some dodgy report positing that Nzeogwu was from Kaduna or that Awo master-minded the coup, the usual Biafrans would have been arguing all day and protesting the innocence of certain people.   grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Another Revelation On The Jan.1966 Coup by chyz(m): 12:38am On Sep 16, 2010
T9ksy:

@ chyz,

That's got nothing to do with you. You should concern yourself with how your threachrous igbos people are going to progress. However, it's now been proven beyond reasonably doubt that, you igbos initiated the 1st military coup in the annal of our history and in the process, gave us One Nigeria.

Moral of this exercise is Never trust an igbo man!

Again, how does the thread help the progress of the yoruba people?
Re: Another Revelation On The Jan.1966 Coup by sbeezy8: 12:40am On Sep 16, 2010
chyz:

Naw Awo is a yoruba triablist remember? Zik na d real hero he believed in ONE Nigeria from the start, even aligned himself with the north- thanks to him we are One.
Re: Another Revelation On The Jan.1966 Coup by chyz(m): 12:44am On Sep 16, 2010
sbeezy8:

Naw Awo is a yoruba triablist remember? Zik na d real hero he believed in ONE Nigeria from the start, even aligned himself with the north- thanks to him we are One.

sorry, awo was the one who "ended" the war,remember? you know, the war that kept naija together. thanx to him we are One Big Family. wink
Re: Another Revelation On The Jan.1966 Coup by komando1: 12:47am On Sep 16, 2010
T9ksy, its clear you have been initiated into bkhomos cult of homo-tribalists. Say the truth yo have sucked bk's dick as if it were a lollipop. So you have joined aigbofa and bluetooth. What will some men not do!
Re: Another Revelation On The Jan.1966 Coup by Obiagu1(m): 12:48am On Sep 16, 2010
Katsumoto:

Talk about sounding like a broken record.

Notice how this thread is only 3 pages long despite being online for almost 24 hours. If it were some dodgy report positing that Nzeogwu was from Kaduna or that Awo master-minded the coup, the usual Biafrans would have been arguing all day and protesting the innocence of certain people.   grin grin grin grin grin

Are you not ashamed of yourself? How many times will you argue this mostly with Dede1?
I sincerely think you really have a problem.

Anyway, how does this help the progress of the yoruba people?

If you can't answer that, then go back to your cocoon till a similar thread is opened for you to jump in as usual.
Re: Another Revelation On The Jan.1966 Coup by T9ksy(m): 12:50am On Sep 16, 2010

Chyz, Don't start another lie o. Both Awo and the sardunna never believed in One Nigeria and they never minced their opposition to the notion. Rather it was zik  and his landlocked igbo people who wanted One Nigeria. No sooner had Ironsi and his igbo people got power from the North via the 1st coup in the country which they plotted and implemented, than he gave us the May 24 unification decree. Npow we are lumbered with you deceitful guys.

Facts are facts, so don't you embark on another one of your well-known revisionsm. just gba break, my okro brother(?)
Re: Another Revelation On The Jan.1966 Coup by chyz(m): 12:52am On Sep 16, 2010
T9ksy:

Chyz, Don't start another lie o. Both Awo and the sardunna never believed in One Nigeria and they never minced their opposition to the notion. Rather it was zik  and his landlocked igbo people who wanted One Nigeria. No sooner had Ironsi and his igbo people got power from the North via the 1st coup in the country which they plotted and implemented, than he gave us the May 24 unification decree. Npow we are lumbered with you deceitful guys.

Facts are facts, so don't you embark on another one of your well-known revisionsm. just gba break, my okro brother(?)

Boo-Hoo cry.Now tell me how does this topic contribute to the progress of the yoruba?
Re: Another Revelation On The Jan.1966 Coup by komando1: 12:55am On Sep 16, 2010
T9asskisser,

You are the one who should get your facts correctly. You seem to be getting dumber by the day.
Re: Another Revelation On The Jan.1966 Coup by T9ksy(m): 1:00am On Sep 16, 2010
Posted by: komando

T9ksy, its clear you have been initiated into bkhomos cult of homo-tribalists. Say the truth yo have sucked bk's manliness as if it were a lollipop. So you have joined aigbofa and bluetooth. What will some men not do!

Komando, like i said earlier, am not here to deal in name-callings and slanderous juvennile antics. Hell No, i came here to deal in facts. Am here to burst the ballons of falsehoods your elders fed you guys with and i will be backing my claims with references for you to cross-checked.

Am used to this strategy of derisions from you guys when you are caught out.
Re: Another Revelation On The Jan.1966 Coup by komando1: 1:03am On Sep 16, 2010
@ T9asskissa

All that can now be heard is the soft sad crying of Common Sense in the corner. .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Senate Confirms Ambassador Who Failed Anthem Test / We Can’t Pay Minimum Wage Until 2012 –fg / ECOWAS To Send 3,000 Troops To Mali

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.