Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,899 members, 7,834,986 topics. Date: Monday, 20 May 2024 at 11:48 PM

Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? (20389 Views)

Good Friday: Is It Really Wrong To Eat Meat? / Timothy Ofoegbu: Why Catholics Don't Eat Meat On Good Friday (Video) / Sex On Good Friday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by Amhappy(f): 11:25pm On Apr 19, 2019
On Good Friday you fast that's the first rule. Is fasting also from pagan ceremonies. Secondly you abstain from anything that makes your flesh glad. Meat is simply basic. It's assumed we all enjoy meat so meat got hit. It's not like a pagan tradition were certain meats are forbidden. A path has been created,if you are a spiritual being you take it further. Fasting and abstinence should be part of the life of any serious Christian. I am a Catholic and know there's things the church got wrong in history but this is not one of them. Peace!!!
Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by AkpaMgbor(m): 6:25am On Apr 20, 2019
Amhappy:

You sure know the history of the church. The church in Rome was never perfect but Rome was world power and things are bound to happen. And abstinence on good Friday is not one of the poor decisions.
Abstinence wasn't one of them...Paul said it when he was addressing the newly converted non Jewish Christians..if a non Jewish Christian decides to eat meat on a holy day(such as this) and another decides not to, the both have not sinned..for we are not judged by what we eat or didn't eat but by the things that flow out of our hearts and mouths.
Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by AkpaMgbor(m): 6:26am On Apr 20, 2019
Amhappy:
On Good Friday you fast that's the first rule. Is fasting also from pagan ceremonies. Secondly you abstain from anything that makes your flesh glad. Meat is simply basic. It's assumed we all enjoy meat so meat got hit. It's not like a pagan tradition were certain meats are forbidden. A path has been created,if you are a spiritual being you take it further. Fasting and abstinence should be part of the life of any serious Christian. I am a Catholic and know there's things the church got wrong in history but this is not one of them. Peace!!!
You have a brain....and you have wisdom!
Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by Mpanyi: 8:19am On Apr 20, 2019
TimiRume:
I like how responsive you are and the example you ve given. However, i want us to look at the facts and the logic behind the Christian faith.

Now, we all confess that only God is omnipresent. In other words he alone has this quality to simultaneously attend to everyone at same time in different locations because everything/one is before him. And if we say Mary accepts favours like God from every race are we not ascribing this divine quality that only God has to her?

Yes, our faith teaches Christ was made by a woman under the law. Our faith teaches this Christ is God in flesh or God as man. God as the second Adam, did what the first Adam could not do. By reasoning of this, we can see how Mary was the mother of God as man and not God as God because God has no beginning and therefore cannot be made by a woman or subjected to dispensations. So Mary was the mother of Jesus, who is God as man. But she herself was a hand maiden of God, a vessel God used to bring himself into this world as a man. If we say Mary is the mother of God, then aint we saying Mary precedes God and God was created? but that would be false. And the only way to correct this wouldn't it by making accurate statements?

If we say Mary is still the mother of Jesus(even in heaven) is this not extra biblical? Do our earthly parents still remain our parents in heaven? Any bible proof or notion?

Continuing the argument, does that simple request made by Mary to Jesus imply that she is more than what we have seen in the bible? I think Mary and Martha did something like this too when their brother died. The disciples too and many of the Israelites. They all intervened for others. And Jesus grant them all.

You see, this where i'm finding it hard continuing with the catholic church because of blanket summaries like this. Looking at the bible, i think it has it's language and its mode of revealing itself if we follow the patterns. Because there are indeed patterns that reveal deep meanings and explain better previous knowledge.

Now you said the catholic church professes the union of both dead and living saints and you backed that with only one example that even seem problematic to me. Thanks for the example, but was that type of communion laid for the disciples to follow? Was there an express statement in the bible or a notion saying this was how Christians are to commune, the living and the dead. And commune means to communicate indeed. Let's see, Jesus was speaking with them face to face. That means they were physically present. But wasn't this just showing how Grace truncates Law and has fulfilled it and the prophecies. How do you commune with fellow saints that are not present?

If this is true, praying to mary and dead saints, how did it fly over the heads of the bible writers. Not even a sentence or few words from anyone?
I, like you want to believe these apparitions are true, but i have a hard time believing that God would have something like this in future added to the faith but was completely mute about it from Genesis to revelation. Did you see that the Jews expected Christ? This happened because of previous knowledge of it. They were promised a saviour. How are Christians today suppose to accept apparitions of Mary with no expectation of such or any previous knowledge or promise of such?

I may like to cheap in a thing or two. Jesus Christ born of Mary was full God and man. Jesus never stopped being God at any point in time. Your confusion must be 'how could human being give birth to the same God that created him?' It's a mystery. You can only find out from God. Your question or confusion resembles that of the Jews who thought Jesus was committing blasphemy by saying he is son God because they can't understand how God could have a son. Another mystery. You said God is omnipresent and we should come to him directly. And you are not wrong. But why do we need our pastors (church) to pray for us? Paul pray many times for his followers. I don't relly understand the fuss about asking for Mary's and the saints' help in prayer. Does the bible say is wrong? No. Bible may not have expressly said we should be doing it, just as many other good things we are doing today, which never expressly told us to do. We should understand a child of God never. We commune and interact with transited brethren in worship of God as if they are still here. Our God is never God of the dead. Let me stop here for now
Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by cucumbar: 11:05am On Apr 20, 2019
Mpanyi:

I may like to cheap in a thing or two. Jesus Christ born of Mary was full God and man. Jesus never stopped being God at any point in time. Your confusion must be 'how could human being give birth to the same God that created him?' It's a mystery. You can only find out from God. Your question or confusion resembles that of the Jews who thought Jesus was committing blasphemy by saying he is son God because they can't understand how God could have a son. Another mystery. You said God is omnipresent and we should come to him directly. And you are not wrong. But why do we need our pastors (church) to pray for us? Paul pray many times for his followers. I don't relly understand the fuss about asking for Mary's and the saints' help in prayer. Does the bible say is wrong? No. Bible may not have expressly said we should be doing it, just as many other good things we are doing today, which never expressly told us to do. We should understand a child of God never. We commune and interact with transited brethren in worship of God as if they are still here. Our God is never God of the dead. Let me stop here for now

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by Forevergist: 12:30pm On Apr 20, 2019
We christian are making things complicated for us! Every church has their doctrine some are biblical why some are by the inspirational of the holy spirit... All you have to do is to visit this site and read Bible verses that will help your spiritual growth

However, some of us making noise here don't even have faith in God and don't love one another!
Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by Ubenedictus(m): 1:04pm On Apr 20, 2019
ExAngel007:

Explain...
it is a kind of fast, some fast from food and water aka dry fasting, others fasts on food alone, some fasts on a sumptuous type of food aka abstainence.

On good Friday, young healthy Catholics do wet fasting and everyone fasts from what he/she consider sumptuous, some people fast from meat, others chocolate, others coffee... Or some other food type that they are attached to.
Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by Ubenedictus(m): 2:45pm On Apr 20, 2019
Amhappy:

You sure know the history of the church. The church in Rome was never perfect but Rome was world power and things are bound to happen. And abstinence on good Friday is not one of the poor decisions.
abstinence on Friday wasn't a church of Rome thing, the entire church both in Jerusalem, Greece, England ETc, abstained on Friday, up till today, the orthodox church still practice abstainence on Friday, even the oriental, church, the Coptic church, ETc. Only the Anglicans who fell into Protestant heresy who don't.
Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by guccitype(m): 12:10am On Apr 21, 2019
OpenYourEyes1:

Bro my family members are all Catholics and I love them alot.
Why are you emotionally attached to the things of this world?
so eating meat is a thing of the world. Odikwa egwu. I hail you bros. Read your bible if you have one. God gave us everything to eat.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Stephanie Otobo's Apology To Apostle Suleman By Deji Yesufu / 'Shame To Supporters Of Stingy People' - Mbaka Blasts In New Video / Where Do Black People Come From According To Christianity ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.