Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,193 members, 7,815,164 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:25 AM

"Why Nigeria Is Poor" - Ben Bruce - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / "Why Nigeria Is Poor" - Ben Bruce (31145 Views)

Deji Adeyanju: The Attendance At Obi's Jos Rally Is Poor / Ben Bruce's Voting By SMS: Nigerians React (Photos) / Ben Bruce Shares A Quote Of Goodluck Jonathan From 3-years Ago!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

"Why Nigeria Is Poor" - Ben Bruce by joseph6071: 7:17am On Apr 20, 2019
The Nigeria senator and CEO of Silverbird TV, Ben Murray Bruce has come out to tell why the nation is poor and also the way forward.

See what he wrote...

"We are poor, majorly because our population is growing faster than our economy. We must introduce population control policies so we can slow population growth and hasten economic growth. If we do not do that and do it soon, I shudder to think of what will happen to Nigeria."

Source: https://www.musictori.com/2019/04/why-nigeria-is-poor-senator-ben-bruce.html

32 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "Why Nigeria Is Poor" - Ben Bruce by Realtord43: 7:20am On Apr 20, 2019
If you want to control birth rate how do u want aboki to win election

184 Likes 13 Shares

Re: "Why Nigeria Is Poor" - Ben Bruce by Abfinest007(m): 7:20am On Apr 20, 2019
Nigeria government don think all they know hw to do is loot.our senators select bill to pass n north is our major problem

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "Why Nigeria Is Poor" - Ben Bruce by trapQ: 7:21am On Apr 20, 2019
Ben sponsored a very good bill at the national assembly some days ago but trust our useless senators to not understand it, and ridicule him in the process.

Shameless low IQ deranged senators

145 Likes 7 Shares

Re: "Why Nigeria Is Poor" - Ben Bruce by GavelSlam: 7:22am On Apr 20, 2019
Just occurring to you at the end of your tenure?

51 Likes 6 Shares

Re: "Why Nigeria Is Poor" - Ben Bruce by Naijaguy123: 7:22am On Apr 20, 2019
angry
Re: "Why Nigeria Is Poor" - Ben Bruce by Nobody: 8:01am On Apr 20, 2019
I hate when people feel they know something when they know nothing.

He should use this same theory to explain why China isn't poor,,,

Corruption is the Major reason Nigerians are poor.

133 Likes 10 Shares

Re: "Why Nigeria Is Poor" - Ben Bruce by Wiseandtrue(f): 8:19am On Apr 20, 2019
joseph6071:
The Nigeria senator and CEO of Silverbird TV, Ben Murray Bruce has come out to tell why the nation is poor and also the way forward.

See what he wrote...

"We are poor, majorly because our population is growing faster than our economy. We must introduce population control policies so we can slow population growth and hasten economic growth. If we do not do that and do it soon, I shudder to think of what will happen to Nigeria."

Source: https://www.musictori.com/2019/04/why-nigeria-is-poor-senator-ben-bruce.html

cc: lalasticlala, mynd44
#Ben Bruce is our population more than that of China

Leadership is the problem!!!

Death sentence for ALL corrupt officials and let's see if our fortune will not turn around for good!

Junior66:

China has been trying desperately to reduce her population for the past 30 years so you don't have a point there. Once population growth rate exceeds economic growth rate then population is no longer an asset but a menace. That is the troublesome situation with Nigeria at present.
Buhari is a failure!!!

He is putting all these ideas into your brains

Why didn't he have just one child

54 Likes 9 Shares

Re: "Why Nigeria Is Poor" - Ben Bruce by wordcat(m): 8:23am On Apr 20, 2019
BlacSmit:

Ben's one year salary plus allowances is enough to pay 100 secondary school teachers in one year.

Corruption not population is our problem

62 Likes 8 Shares

Re: "Why Nigeria Is Poor" - Ben Bruce by Amuocha: 8:38am On Apr 20, 2019
APC
Re: "Why Nigeria Is Poor" - Ben Bruce by omenkaLives(m): 8:55am On Apr 20, 2019
Wiseandtrue:

#Ben Bruce is our population more than that of China

Leadership is the problem!!!

Death sentence for ALL corrupt officials and let's see if our fortune will not turn around for good!
You are right per the bad leadership angle, but so is Bruce per the population angle. The country you mentioned have positive economic indices growing faster than the rate of growth of their population. Ditto India.

Same cannot be said of the Nigerian situation.

That said, Bruce and his brood of incurably corrupt colleagues are part of the problems we have in this country. Has he for a moment sat down to think of the opportunity cost of what the country spends on them?

What about his debts? Has he ever imagined what might have been if he wasnt such a bad debtor?

His suggestions are good, but he's also part of the problem.

47 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "Why Nigeria Is Poor" - Ben Bruce by SilasNwude: 9:00am On Apr 20, 2019
[s]
omenkaLives:
You are right per the bad leadership angle, but so is Bruce per the population angle. The country you mentioned have positive economic indices growing faster than the rate of growth of their population. Ditto India.

That said, Bruce and his brood of incurably corrupt colleagues are part of the problems we have in this country. Has he for a moment sat down to think of the opportunity cost of what the country spends on them?

What about his debts? Has he ever imagined what might have been if he wasnt such a bad debtor?

[/s]
bullcrap

1 Like

Re: "Why Nigeria Is Poor" - Ben Bruce by texazzpete(m): 9:03am On Apr 20, 2019
trapQ:
Ben sponsored a very good bill at the national assembly some days ago but trust our useless senators to not understand it, and ridicule him in the process.

It was an awful, terrible bill. BMB should be ashamed of himself for that.
Re: "Why Nigeria Is Poor" - Ben Bruce by Wiseandtrue(f): 9:16am On Apr 20, 2019
omenkaLives:

Population is a positive tool in the hands of a good leader that knows what he is doing!

Isn't there a saying "you use what you have to get what you want

China has the population and they utilized it!!!

How are we utilizing ours Corrupt politicians laundering money here and there still be shouting corruption

Remove sentiments and Let there be a death penalty and let's see what happens

No economy will grow with complain and excuses!!!

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "Why Nigeria Is Poor" - Ben Bruce by slimfit1(m): 9:29am On Apr 20, 2019
We are poor because of our senators are taking 30% of our budget home using our money to shop in Dubai and London that's why and are not making any laws that are supposed to help move us forward, that is common sense there. The population has nothing to do with economics. China and India are not complaining about the population why should we.

5 Likes

Re: "Why Nigeria Is Poor" - Ben Bruce by omenkaLives(m): 9:31am On Apr 20, 2019
Wiseandtrue:

Population is a positive tool in the hands of a good leader that knows what he is doing!

Isn't there a saying "you use what you have to get what you want

China has the population and they utilized it!!!

How are we utilizing ours Corrupt politicians laundering money here and there still be shouting corruption

Remove sentiments and Let there be a death penalty and let's see what happens

No economy will grow with complain and excuses!!!
I still agree with you as I stated earlier.

Of course bad leadership is the problem and not the population. What I'm saying is, the leadership in China and India have made sure they keep the growth of their economies over and above the growth rate of their population. In addition to that, China even has very strict population control laws, at some point, families are not allowed to have more than a child. I think this has been relaxed a but for reason of their aging population.

This is why I said you're right, and so also is Bruce. But he's part of the problem.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Why Nigeria Is Poor" - Ben Bruce by SilasNwude: 9:44am On Apr 20, 2019
[s]
omenkaLives:

Of course bad leadership is the problem and not the population. What I'm saying is, the leadership in China and India have made sure they keep the growth of their economies over and above the growth rate of their population. On addition to that, China even has very strict population control laws, at some point, families are not allowed to have more than a child. I think this has been a bit relaxed for reason of their aging population.

This is why I said you're right, and so also is Bruce. But he's part of the problem.
[/s]
claptrap

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "Why Nigeria Is Poor" - Ben Bruce by Wiseandtrue(f): 9:45am On Apr 20, 2019
omenkaLives:

Of course bad leadership is the problem and not the population. What I'm saying is, the leadership in China and India have made sure they keep the growth of their economies over and above the growth rate of their population. On addition to that, China even has very strict population control laws, at some point, families are not allowed to have more than a child. I think this has been a bit relaxed for reason of their aging population.

My opinion differs! Population isn't the problem but corruption is!!!

We have to work within our means as a country!!!

The legislatives is not only the problem, the Executives are too!!!

It will be hypocritical to fault the legislatives and ignore the Executive who has the final say!!!

The Executives cannot retain their extravagant life style and expect the legislatives to review theirs!!!

A good leader will lead by example!!!

Afterall it's one of his electoral promises he promised to review if elected!!!

It's not as if the government is doing so much for the people as it is

They are just servicing themselves!!!
Re: "Why Nigeria Is Poor" - Ben Bruce by Nobody: 9:49am On Apr 20, 2019
We are poor because we have this idea that our economy is a big cake that must be shared equally....with no thought as to how the ingredients must be sourced.

One reason why I don't like the call for true federalisim is because at the end of the day it is all about how money must be shared. Ditto for Biafra.

One problem I have with Nigerian states is that you don't see policies in place to say, for example improve education, or make the people of the state more skills ready .Instead, states wait for the end of the month...when the sharing of the money is in progress.

Also, the graduates amongst us want a salaried job with a comfortable existence. Creating jobs is not our forte.

Then there is the clamor for cheap stuff. I pay very low prices for power compared to Ghana. Many Nigerians don;t even pay their bills. Yet, Ghana has light 24/7, we don't because they are paying the price for light 24/7...here we are paying for less than 10 hours of light per day, and insisting we must get 24/7.

And we heavily subsidise fuel...at the cost to our NNPC money and at the cost of sustaining some serious corruption....while investment in our downstream sector and oil industry is inhibited...who is going to build a refinery and sell fuel below production cost in the name of subsidy

We better face facts. THERE IS NO CAKE.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Why Nigeria Is Poor" - Ben Bruce by Wiseandtrue(f): 9:49am On Apr 20, 2019
slimfit1:
We are poor because of our senators are taking 30% of our budget home using our money to shop in Dubai and London that's why and are not making any laws that are supposed to help move us forward, that is common sense there. The population has nothing to do with economics. China and India are not complaining about the population why should we.
So many countries have so much population and no crude oil and they are doing very well!!!

You need to see their infrastructures, you will shake your head for Nigerian leaders!!!

When you ask them to build infrastructures, they will frustrates the contractors for their own cut! The contractors will end up with inferior work

The money they are stealing is more than enough to make Nigeria the richest country in the world

But they keep giving us excuses, population today, militant tomorrow while they keep smiling to the bank!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Why Nigeria Is Poor" - Ben Bruce by Nobody: 10:00am On Apr 20, 2019
Wiseandtrue:

So many countries have so much population and no crude oil and they are doing very well!!!

You need to see their infrastructures, the will shake your head for Nigerian leaders!!!

The money they are stealing is more than enough to make Nigeria the richest country in the world

But they keep giving us excuses, population today, militant tomorrow while they keep smiling to the bank!

Yes, those countries are doing well because...they realized that they could not earn enough money from selling raw materials like oil and other commodities to sustain their population.

So they focused on education and industrial development.

That's why countries like China, Japan , South Korea and Singapore are success stories.

But in Nigeria....we have a problem. We have 'abundant natural resources' which we can easily sell to make easy money and we use the money to create a national cake that can be shared among people.

The truth is, these resources cannot provide us revenue to sustain us.

So, we have to follow the Chinese, Japanese and Korean route....but those countries went through a long period of hardship before getting there. No Nigerian leader is going to promote that kind of vision.

It so does not win votes.

One other thing...thanks to subsides our petroleum and power sector are grossly underfunded.(That is what is fuelling the corruption there). But tell Nigerians that they should pay more for better services (like we did for GSM...even when their services were so terrible...and SIM cost N20000 and more...before they took the money and invested it in better facilites)...and there would be complaints about 'poverty', 'greedy marketers' etc....so we don't have the cash to fund these things adequately....and this HAS a bad effect on our economy

10 Likes

Re: "Why Nigeria Is Poor" - Ben Bruce by lastmessenger: 10:42am On Apr 20, 2019
GavelSlam:
Just occurring to you at the end of your tenure?
the fact that you support buhari does not mean you should always make a fool of yourself. Your brain is made for better things

3 Likes

Re: "Why Nigeria Is Poor" - Ben Bruce by GavelSlam: 10:47am On Apr 20, 2019
lastmessenger:
the fact that you support buhari does not mean you should always make a fool of yourself. Your brain is made for better things

True true you be messenger.
Re: "Why Nigeria Is Poor" - Ben Bruce by omenkaLives(m): 10:53am On Apr 20, 2019
Wiseandtrue:

My opinion differs! Population isn't the problem but corruption is!!!

We have to work within our means as a country!!!

The legislatives is not only the problem, the Executives are too!!!

It will be hypocritical to fault the legislatives and ignore the Executive who has the final say!!!

The Executives cannot retain their extravagant life style and expect the legislatives to review theirs!!!

A good leader will lead by example!!!

Afterall it's one of his electoral promises he promised to review if elected!!!

It's not as if the government is doing so much for the people as it is

They are just servicing themselves!!!
Look at the tweet, Bruce didnt simply say population is the problem, he says it is a problem when compared to the rate of growth of the economy.

That is a fact no one can deny.

When I mentioned the legislature, I didnt by any means imply the executive isn't complicit in the rot. Not a single arm is spared. Right down to the local councillors, the story isnt different.

As per punishment for corruption, left to me alone, even the laws China have in place are nothing compared to the punishment I believe those PROVEN to have enriched themselves through corrupt means deserve. Themselves and their families should be made to suffer the consequences. Nigerians are naturally extremely stubborn, therefore, unique methods have to be applied to solve our problems.

If one is made to understand their loved ones would as well pay some price for their very own indiscretions, I think they'd think twice before getting their hands dirty.

There are alot I've been disappointed in with this admin, but that is a subject for another day. Most of all, I was expecting a drastic reduction in the cost of running the government (executive). O was expecting Buhari to rid himself of all those unnecessary appendages of luxury, such as the cars and air fleet which should be the easiest thing of all. Cut down on his allowances and those of his direct appointees and ministers.

I felt if such a precedence is set at the top, those at the legislature and judiciary would have no choice but to follow suit, ditto state governments, except of course they wanna be seen as the peoples number one enemies!

None of that has happened and there's still no indication they would.

It is my sincere hope that someone would remind him about one of the cardinal reasons Nigerians entrusted him with such exalted position. We certainly can't continue like this.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "Why Nigeria Is Poor" - Ben Bruce by SilasNwude: 10:54am On Apr 20, 2019
[s]
omenkaLives:

When I mentioned the legislature, I didnt by any means imply the executive isn't complicit in the rot. Not a single arm is spared. Right down to the local councillors, the story isnt different.

As per punishment for corruption, left to me alone, even the laws China have in place are nothing compared to the punishment I believe those PROVEN to have enriched themselves through corrupt means deserve. Themselves and their families should be made to suffer the consequences. Nigerians are naturally extremely stubborn, therefore, unique methods have to be applied to solve our problems.

If one is made to understand their loved ones would as well pay some price for their very own indiscretions, I think they'd think twice before getting their hands dirty.

There are alot I've been disappointed in with this admin, but that is a subject for another day. Most of all, I was expecting a drastic reduction in the cost of running the government (executive). O was expecting Buhari to rid himself of all those unnecessary appendages of luxury, such as the cars and air fleet which should be the easiest thing of all. Cut down on his allowances and those of his direct appointees and ministers.

I felt if such a precedence is set at the top, those at the legislature and judiciary would have no choice but to follow suit, ditto state governments, except of course they wanna be seen as the peoples number one enemies!

It is my sincere hope that someone would remind him about one of the cardinal reasons Nigerians entrusted him with such exalted position. We certainly can't continue like this.
[/s]
yadadada claptrap and stupid trash

1 Like

Re: "Why Nigeria Is Poor" - Ben Bruce by Wiseandtrue(f): 11:10am On Apr 20, 2019
omenkaLives:

I am glad you made this observation

Very objective!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "Why Nigeria Is Poor" - Ben Bruce by Warship: 11:19am On Apr 20, 2019
trapQ:

You don't ban combustion engines to promote electric cars.

Just import electric cars and set up charging stations and people will key into the business.

2 Likes

Re: "Why Nigeria Is Poor" - Ben Bruce by Warship: 11:22am On Apr 20, 2019
BlacSmit:

China practices 1 Child policy making it easy for parents to save enough money in order to improve their financial status.

If you like go born a dozen of pikin and expect Allah to save you from poverty.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Why Nigeria Is Poor" - Ben Bruce by lastmessenger: 11:51am On Apr 20, 2019
GavelSlam:

True true you be messenger.
I'm only trying to help you.use your brain.its still working
Re: "Why Nigeria Is Poor" - Ben Bruce by Smile4me01(m): 12:22pm On Apr 20, 2019
Despite being a senator he can't even pay his workers promptly even is local government Nembe/Brass never see any empowerment from him that we elevate poverty.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ade-Ojo: I Didn't Sell Collapsed Building Land To Osinbajo / Why Dasuki Will Remain In Detention – Presidency / You Are A Barefaced Treasury Looter - PDP To Ganduje

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.