Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,837 members, 7,817,470 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:50 PM

Biblically, Should Women Preach Or Pastor Inside The Church? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Biblically, Should Women Preach Or Pastor Inside The Church? (18967 Views)

Should Women Lead A Congregation Or A Church? / The Biblically Estimated Time Of Rapture : Mid -tribulation / Is It Biblically Right To Wear A Necklace With The Image Of A Pastor? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Biblically, Should Women Preach Or Pastor Inside The Church? by Nobody: 8:01am On Apr 21, 2019
While the Bible does not support the practice of women serving as pastors, numerous passages speak clearly and forcibly to the inherent worth and value of women. Women in the New Testament engaged in significant ministry, performing valuable service in sometimes-difficult situations. This is readily seen in the Acts of the Apostles. Both Priscilla and Aquila spoke privately to Apollos at Ephesus (Acts 18:24-26), correcting his incomplete and flawed theology. Further, women clearly played a significant role in the work of the Apostle Paul. In his letter to the Romans, Paul identified sixteen significant helpers in ministry (16:1-16), and at least ten of them were women. Who knows what the health of the church at Philippi would have been were it not for Lydia (Acts 16:13-15), apparently a benefactor to the church, and others such as Euodia and Syntyche (Phil. 4:2-3)? And of course, women made a significant contribution to Jesus' ministry. Luke recalled with appreciation their financial support and company with Him (Luke 8:1-3).

The question at hand is not whether women are of equal value to men, nor is it whether they can minister effectively. It is, rather, the nature of their ministry in the church. More specifically, it is permissible for a woman to serve as senior pastor?

The place to begin in this, as in other biblical questions, is to ask, "What does the Bible say?" Even a cursory reading of the pertinent texts reveals three important observations: 1) there were no known women pastors in New Testament times; 2) none of the instructions regarding church order include instructions for women pastors; and 3) some texts on church order explicitly forbid women to occupy that role. Paul, in 1 Tim. 2:12, states, "I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man" (NIV) . This verse is introduced by a statement that women should learn "in silence," and it is followed by the statement that "she must be silent." The word silence means being possessed by a calmness of spirit and peaceful disposition. It is set as the opposite to "teaching" and "having authority over a man." Paul does not expect that women will not or can not learn or teach (compare with Titus 2:3-5 and 2 Tim. 1:5; 3:14,15). He states that they cannot teach or have authority over men. Thus, they cannot have a pastoral position, or perform the pastoral function, for that puts them in authority over men.

It is logical to conclude, therefore, that the issue would not be raised today if discussion of the parameters for pastoral leadership were confined to the biblical record.

Your views are highly welcomed.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biblically, Should Women Preach Or Pastor Inside The Church? by Nobody: 8:04am On Apr 21, 2019
Lalasticlala,mynd44
Pls contribute cool
Re: Biblically, Should Women Preach Or Pastor Inside The Church? by midolian(m): 8:07am On Apr 21, 2019
I think we should stop trying hard to justify what is not...

It is clearly stated in Corinthians that it is a shame for women to speak in church. Whatever questions they have to ask, they should ask their husbands at home...but these days, their husbands will even be seated in church listening to their bitter sermons and nodding their heads to show they are proud of their wives. If Daddy freeze start now, Una go say he is anti-christ..

If the man on the pulpit sees a verse that does not go down well with him, he reads the entire Bible in search of what looks like a counter verse to justify his disobedience of the word of "God"..or go outside the testament if need be. When it comes to matters of tithes, they wee say "Old testament or New testament, all na testament" grin grin

Truth is, the verses of the Bible are selectively followed.

Note; I am not an atheist. Just a blunt and logical believer

119 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Biblically, Should Women Preach Or Pastor Inside The Church? by Nobody: 8:17am On Apr 21, 2019
midolian:
I think we shouldn't try to justify what is not...

It is clearly stated in Corinthians that it is a shame for women to speak in church. Whatever questions they have to ask, they should ask their husbands at home...but these days, their husbands will even be seated in church listening to their bitter sermons and nodding their heads to show they are proud of their wives. If Daddy freeze start now, Una go say he is anti-christ..

If the man on the pulpit sees a verse that does not go down well with him, he reads the entire Bible in search of what looks like a counter verse to justify his disobedience of the word of "God"..or go outside the testament grin grin

Truth is, the verses of the Bible are selectively followed.

Note. I am not an atheist. Just a blunt and logical believer
exactly I'm a Christian but Islamic religion followed this instruction no Islamic females preaches in the mosque

50 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Biblically, Should Women Preach Or Pastor Inside The Church? by HitSong: 9:18am On Apr 21, 2019
grin

Confused people
Engage them in any argument and they will turn the whole thing around and they'll start digressing into something else.

How can people who claimed to be "Christlike" share so many differences and believes?

They can't even agree among themselves angry

They'll tell you that "the Bible says" as if the Bible is the only religious book in this world.
You can't make any sense using your Bible to prove a point to someone who doesn't believe in it.

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Biblically, Should Women Preach Or Pastor Inside The Church? by HitSong: 9:18am On Apr 21, 2019
cheesy

1 Like

Re: Biblically, Should Women Preach Or Pastor Inside The Church? by Joshmodest(m): 9:18am On Apr 21, 2019
I've told many people and i keep saying it. feminists should stay away from religion, because most religions especially Christianity and Islam are sexist ....
The Bible has so many books , which one was written by a woman ? only three books were titled after women and they were written by men I guess .
Jesus had 12 disciples any woman among them ?
When Jesus came to the earth we are made to believe ,he came in the body of a man !
The Bible urges women to worship thier husband's as thier second god....
The Bible presents women as one of the possessions of a man , when a man's wealth I to be talked about in the Bible , his number of wives were also mentioned e.g Solomon.
The Bible uses man in places when talking about a general situation like the women are irrelevant ....
The Bible clamps down heavily on non virgins ten times more than the men involved .
With all this few points , there is no question to the fact , that a woman's place in the church is to sit down , sing praise and worship , pay tithe and offering and go home !!!!

43 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Biblically, Should Women Preach Or Pastor Inside The Church? by yesloaded: 9:19am On Apr 21, 2019
There's a big difference between a Believer & Religious person.

4 Likes

Re: Biblically, Should Women Preach Or Pastor Inside The Church? by jefff455: 9:19am On Apr 21, 2019
Y

1 Like

Re: Biblically, Should Women Preach Or Pastor Inside The Church? by Amuocha: 9:19am On Apr 21, 2019
No inside the buses or street

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Biblically, Should Women Preach Or Pastor Inside The Church? by jefff455: 9:20am On Apr 21, 2019
sad

1 Like

Re: Biblically, Should Women Preach Or Pastor Inside The Church? by Jaynom(m): 9:20am On Apr 21, 2019
Smh in Nigeria a Pentecostal pastor's wife is Automatically Assistant G.O

33 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Biblically, Should Women Preach Or Pastor Inside The Church? by QuickStandard: 9:20am On Apr 21, 2019
I have no time now to into details, cos am on my way to church.

But if you take a deeper look, from the scripture you quoted, you will see that Paul only expressed his own human views

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biblically, Should Women Preach Or Pastor Inside The Church? by jefff455: 9:20am On Apr 21, 2019
sadrygvd

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Biblically, Should Women Preach Or Pastor Inside The Church? by Sellfish(m): 9:21am On Apr 21, 2019
As long as she is fine and has a fine bum and flat belly, I don't mind if a woman is even my General Overseer. smiley

You can't expect me to complain when someone as gorgeous as Beverly Naya or Keri Helson is my Pastor...especially that Beverly Girl cry

When I am not a bastard grin

2 Likes

Re: Biblically, Should Women Preach Or Pastor Inside The Church? by MJBOLT: 9:21am On Apr 21, 2019
the bible is a sexist book,any feminist who says she's a christian is confused

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Biblically, Should Women Preach Or Pastor Inside The Church? by Greatzeus(m): 9:23am On Apr 21, 2019
Most of us still don't understand what great sacrifice Jesus made on our behalf,and what he achieved,when we do,we will then truly be as gods.
In Christianity,there is no tribe,no race,no gender discrimination before God. Jesus didn't pay more price for males than females and vice versa. A woman can old any position in church just as men do,as long as she is qualified.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Biblically, Should Women Preach Or Pastor Inside The Church? by ifeko1214(m): 9:23am On Apr 21, 2019
QuickStandard:
I have no time now to into details, cos am on my way to church.

But if you take a deeper look, from the scripture you quoted, you will see that Paul only expressed his own human views

It is now suddenly human views??

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Biblically, Should Women Preach Or Pastor Inside The Church? by Satan66(m): 9:23am On Apr 21, 2019
And some women support this sexist religion that see's a woman is less than a man angry(True)
Let's not forget that Jesus existed during a time of slavery of black men and did nothing angry
The Bible only talked about white people.
Believe at your own Perl
Brainwashed floks

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biblically, Should Women Preach Or Pastor Inside The Church? by ednut1(m): 9:25am On Apr 21, 2019
Why not focus on how u go enter heaven na. And live matter . People are doing it and u cant stop them

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Biblically, Should Women Preach Or Pastor Inside The Church? by NigeriaIsDoomed: 9:25am On Apr 21, 2019
I dey laugh una wey dey call themselves christian but to abide by the word of christ na wahala.
Wetin dey hard here? Bible don talk am say make women dey keep quiet for church but una mumu and over sabi no gree una.
I swear na on 0.1% go enter that heaven and I no go dey surprise if muslim plenty for heaven pass the so called christians.

25 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Biblically, Should Women Preach Or Pastor Inside The Church? by Reference(m): 9:25am On Apr 21, 2019
As long as God can raise up stones, shows that he does not partake in the discrimination and ridiculous laws and sentiments of men. God is in a real hurry to save mankind. I seriously doubt if He will be picky as to who does His Works.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Biblically, Should Women Preach Or Pastor Inside The Church? by ednut1(m): 9:26am On Apr 21, 2019
Satan66:
And some women support this sexist religion that see's a woman is less than a man angry(True)
Let's not forget that Jesus existed during a time of slavery of black men and did nothing angry
The Bible only talked about white people.
Believe at your own Perl
Brainwashed floks
why u dey lie.
Re: Biblically, Should Women Preach Or Pastor Inside The Church? by KingLennon(m): 9:26am On Apr 21, 2019
Where are the pastors in the house? Pls lets back this up biblically. Can women also preach in the congregation of only women?

2 Likes

Re: Biblically, Should Women Preach Or Pastor Inside The Church? by tomdon(m): 9:28am On Apr 21, 2019
Are women less human??
Is a man superior to woman??
If no then anyone can do it

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biblically, Should Women Preach Or Pastor Inside The Church? by Satan66(m): 9:28am On Apr 21, 2019
ednut1:
why u dey lie.
I lie?
Mentioned a passage where a black man was mentioned angry
We blacks have being slaves since the beginning.

6 Likes

Re: Biblically, Should Women Preach Or Pastor Inside The Church? by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:28am On Apr 21, 2019
Women should preach about AFRICAN TRADITIONAL RELIGIONS.

Enough of this mad scam called christianity.

11 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Prepare For Revolution, Archbishop Of Enugu Tell Nigerians / It's Better To Be An Atheist Than A Nigerian Christian Or Muslim - Man Says / What Exactly Is The Significance Of Crossover Night ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.