Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,939 members, 7,817,750 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:34 PM

“95 Per Cent Of States Can’t Pay N30,000 Minimum Wage” - Ebonyi Gov - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / “95 Per Cent Of States Can’t Pay N30,000 Minimum Wage” - Ebonyi Gov (16025 Views)

We Can’t Afford To Pay N30,00 Minimum Wage, Govs Tell NLC / New Minimum Wage: Why States Cannot Pay N30,000 – Gov Umahi / FG Agrees To Pay N30,000 Minimum Wage As NLC Suspends Nationwide Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: “95 Per Cent Of States Can’t Pay N30,000 Minimum Wage” - Ebonyi Gov by greatsodade(m): 11:51am On Apr 21, 2019
Nasir123:
Most of these governors are in equip to govern our States. They simply lack the creative minds in solving problems. PATHETIC!

You re so spot on...but sadly, most people can't even see or know this fact. Most are so visionless and the myopic populace keep worshipping them like God. It is a very sad situation i tell you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: “95 Per Cent Of States Can’t Pay N30,000 Minimum Wage” - Ebonyi Gov by Butoneday2(m): 12:12pm On Apr 21, 2019
Idiot, but your earning #29m, every month. But u can't pay just ordinary 30k to your servant. If na ashawo u will pay 250k per night. All of una be bad seed. Useless entities.
Re: “95 Per Cent Of States Can’t Pay N30,000 Minimum Wage” - Ebonyi Gov by mobi99(m): 12:34pm On Apr 21, 2019
this man must be a stupid fellow, by opening such gutter to utter that 95% of Nigeria states can not pay just thirty thousand ..Mr man if I may ask u how much is ur salary per month plus the useless money given to u as allowance ..but u find it hard to pay a citizen who really worked for his/her money ...thanks to sai baba at least one he was able to do for civil servants, so oga stingy if u like gree if u like no gree, that small change u must pay am ...anu mpama, ..I wish I have my way to talk to u one on one
Re: “95 Per Cent Of States Can’t Pay N30,000 Minimum Wage” - Ebonyi Gov by alohman(m): 12:39pm On Apr 21, 2019
So nobody has the answer to the numerous problems bedeviling the nation.
Re: “95 Per Cent Of States Can’t Pay N30,000 Minimum Wage” - Ebonyi Gov by omohayek: 1:03pm On Apr 21, 2019
StaffofOrayan:

And of course there are economists like you that went to underfunded govt schools that thinks 30k is too much.
Ha ha ha ha ha! I went to an American Ivy League university with a multi-billion USD endowment, whose annual budget for a few thousand undergraduates is more than the entire state budget of any Nigerian state other than Lagos. If my institution was “underfunded”, where did you get your properly funded education, the moon?

That’s the thing about loud-mouthed, abusive ignoramuses like you: you’re so eager to reach for ad hominem attacks to substitute for the rational arguments you don’t know how to formulate that you only end up making bigger fo.ols of yourselves. Next time try either sticking to purely rational arguments or hold your tongue.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: “95 Per Cent Of States Can’t Pay N30,000 Minimum Wage” - Ebonyi Gov by selemo: 1:16pm On Apr 21, 2019
Osagyefo98:
Governor David Umahi of Ebonyi State on Wednesday in Abakaliki, the state capital, declared that 95 per cent of states in the country cannot pay the proposed N30, 000 minimum wage to workers.

Mr Umahi, who is the Chairman of the South East Governors Forum, said this while inaugurating a 36-member fact-finding committee to ascertain the mode of workers’ promotion arrears payment in states across the six geo-political zones of the states.

According to Mr Umahi, the payment of the N30, 000 can only be realised if the federation account allocation formula is reviewed to offer more earnings to states.

“The federal government collects 52 per cent of the revenue from the federation account and when I tried to put the N30,000 figure to Local Government Areas (LGA) it means they will borrow N1billion to add to their allocation, in paying salaries.

“I will definitely not be a governor to govern such a state and will never preside over a state that will allocate 100 per cent of its earnings to pay salaries,” he said.

The governor recommended that the issue of petroleum subsidy in the country should also be reviewed as had been noted by the state and federal governments.

“We must presently have the courage to say this because a lot of money can be saved from the subsidy if properly distributed.

“When 100, 000 litres of petrol is allocated to me for instance and deducted from my allocation, it is then my business to ensure that there is no leakage.

“There is no governor or political office holder that signs cheques but civil servants as the country’s leaders and labour are just putting water inside a basket and praying God to hold it with this minimum wage issue,” he said.

He urged the country’s leaders and labour to liaise and decide on the percentage of the federation account that should be voted for salaries and other sectors.

“We should determine how much should be allocated to education, health, infrastructure among others if 100 per cent of earnings are used to pay workers salaries.

“Many states are experiencing various problems and cannot pay salaries but the people condemn their governments over their inability to provide good roads and other amenities.

“People don’t understand the problems being experienced by these states and the governors have kept quiet for long and need to speak presently,” he said.

Mr Umahi regretted that the issue of promotion arrears for workers in the state had lingered for long and urged the committee to be sincere with their findings to find an amicable solution to it.

“We have been setting up committees on this issue and getting no results with people not being sincere and resorting to all sorts of things,” he said.

Hyginus Nwokwu, the Secretary to the State Government (SSG), noted that the issue made the governor to institute a 36-man member committee to tour states in the six geo political zones and ascertain the mode of payments.

“The members are drawn from critical elements of state with the organised labour having 12 nominees, Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) 12 nominees and the government-12 nominees.

“The committee will tour three states in each of these zones, ascertain relevant facts, analyse and present them to enable government take disposable and final actions on the matter,” he said.

Leonard Nkah, the Acting Chairman of the Nigerian Labour Congress (NLC), in the state and Chairman of the committee pledged to ensure the actualisation of the committee’s aims.

“We pledge to assiduously discharge our duties and make recommendations that will permanently solve the problem for a healthy government and labour relationship,” he said.

(NAN)

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/294656-95-per-cent-of-states-cant-pay-n30-000-minimum-wage-ebonyi-gov.html#
Gov Umahi should directly tell Nigerians that Ebonyi State could not pay the new minimum wage.
Re: “95 Per Cent Of States Can’t Pay N30,000 Minimum Wage” - Ebonyi Gov by selemo: 1:17pm On Apr 21, 2019
zlantanfan:
Why not let them speak for themselves?

Is everyone a gala and garden egg governor?
Abi ooo! shocked
Re: “95 Per Cent Of States Can’t Pay N30,000 Minimum Wage” - Ebonyi Gov by barikay: 1:21pm On Apr 21, 2019
Then resign must you be a governor

1 Like

Re: “95 Per Cent Of States Can’t Pay N30,000 Minimum Wage” - Ebonyi Gov by Nobody: 1:22pm On Apr 21, 2019
Mr Governor is not by force to become a Governor. if you cannot pay resign. is the money your personal money
Re: “95 Per Cent Of States Can’t Pay N30,000 Minimum Wage” - Ebonyi Gov by Tianamen1: 1:26pm On Apr 21, 2019
omohayek:

Yes, yes, corruption is bad, I completely agree, but have you ever bothered to try doing the arithmetic and seeing just how much impact even a 100% elimination of corruption would have? Please, go ahead and try it! Show us how many state government jobs could be saved even if every governor became a saint willing to work for free. If you can make the numbers work so that a 30k minimum wage is sustainable across the 36 states, even as they keep their current staff levels, I will praise your name to the high heavens.

Here is the bottom line: it is mere self-deception to insist that top-level corruption is the only problem, or even the main one. There are simply too many states, given the levels of internal revenues they can raise for themselves, and too many idle "workers" on their payrolls. Nearly all revenue was already being diverted to the payment of salaries to the detriment of everything else, and this wage hike is going to make things far worse. It is now virtually guaranteed that the FG will have to bail out the states yet again in the near future, and that money is not "free"; it will have to be diverted from other important things, like fixing the federal roads, or building the 2nd Niger Bridge.

I wholeheartedly agree with most of your suggestions. I find it curious that you seem to infer the bloatedness is isolated to the state governments.

You also state that the federal government bails out the states. How does the federal government earn money?

Are federal workers better than state workers in terms of productivity.

Do you believe our constitution and its sharing formula is one that can lead to development. isn't nigeria as currently constituted destined till perpertuity to a state of shitholeness?

We need majority of our national income channelled towards basic education and healthcare, not state revenues but our total national income. Without changing our focus and constitution, we will simply be applying makeup on a pig.
Re: “95 Per Cent Of States Can’t Pay N30,000 Minimum Wage” - Ebonyi Gov by MetaPhysical: 1:29pm On Apr 21, 2019
Osagyefo98:
Governor David Umahi of Ebonyi State on Wednesday in Abakaliki, the state capital, declared that 95 per cent of states in the country cannot pay the proposed N30, 000 minimum wage to workers.

Mr Umahi, who is the Chairman of the South East Governors Forum, said this while inaugurating a 36-member fact-finding committee to ascertain the mode of workers’ promotion arrears payment in states across the six geo-political zones of the states.

According to Mr Umahi, the payment of the N30, 000 can only be realised if the federation account allocation formula is reviewed to offer more earnings to states.

“The federal government collects 52 per cent of the revenue from the federation account and when I tried to put the N30,000 figure to Local Government Areas (LGA) it means they will borrow N1billion to add to their allocation, in paying salaries.

“I will definitely not be a governor to govern such a state and will never preside over a state that will allocate 100 per cent of its earnings to pay salaries,” he said.

The governor recommended that the issue of petroleum subsidy in the country should also be reviewed as had been noted by the state and federal governments.

“We must presently have the courage to say this because a lot of money can be saved from the subsidy if properly distributed.

“When 100, 000 litres of petrol is allocated to me for instance and deducted from my allocation, it is then my business to ensure that there is no leakage.

“There is no governor or political office holder that signs cheques but civil servants as the country’s leaders and labour are just putting water inside a basket and praying God to hold it with this minimum wage issue,” he said.

He urged the country’s leaders and labour to liaise and decide on the percentage of the federation account that should be voted for salaries and other sectors.

“We should determine how much should be allocated to education, health, infrastructure among others if 100 per cent of earnings are used to pay workers salaries.

“Many states are experiencing various problems and cannot pay salaries but the people condemn their governments over their inability to provide good roads and other amenities.

“People don’t understand the problems being experienced by these states and the governors have kept quiet for long and need to speak presently,” he said.

Mr Umahi regretted that the issue of promotion arrears for workers in the state had lingered for long and urged the committee to be sincere with their findings to find an amicable solution to it.

“We have been setting up committees on this issue and getting no results with people not being sincere and resorting to all sorts of things,” he said.

Hyginus Nwokwu, the Secretary to the State Government (SSG), noted that the issue made the governor to institute a 36-man member committee to tour states in the six geo political zones and ascertain the mode of payments.

“The members are drawn from critical elements of state with the organised labour having 12 nominees, Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) 12 nominees and the government-12 nominees.

“The committee will tour three states in each of these zones, ascertain relevant facts, analyse and present them to enable government take disposable and final actions on the matter,” he said.

Leonard Nkah, the Acting Chairman of the Nigerian Labour Congress (NLC), in the state and Chairman of the committee pledged to ensure the actualisation of the committee’s aims.

“We pledge to assiduously discharge our duties and make recommendations that will permanently solve the problem for a healthy government and labour relationship,” he said.

(NAN)

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/294656-95-per-cent-of-states-cant-pay-n30-000-minimum-wage-ebonyi-gov.html#

What do SE governors use their state allocations for?

Umahi should stop deflecting to what others can or cannot do and focus on his own state. Can he pay the wage or not?
Re: “95 Per Cent Of States Can’t Pay N30,000 Minimum Wage” - Ebonyi Gov by ogbonti: 1:51pm On Apr 21, 2019
NinjaMetahuman:
abuja is .8 since they dont have governor and lagos is 1.2 grin

You don start ooo grin lol
Hmmmm, percentage
What is 1.8% of a state my brother?
Re: “95 Per Cent Of States Can’t Pay N30,000 Minimum Wage” - Ebonyi Gov by Adefemiaderoju1: 1:53pm On Apr 21, 2019
This is one of the reason why the country need to be restructure on base regional who cares if you could pay minimum wages or not that should be the problem of your people/state etc that's shouldn't be the federal republic of Nigeria.
Re: “95 Per Cent Of States Can’t Pay N30,000 Minimum Wage” - Ebonyi Gov by xrucifix05(m): 1:54pm On Apr 21, 2019
It's left for the ebonyi workers to come together as one and demand for their rightful pay. A governor that has already planned how he will use the next four years ebonyi State allocation together with the 13 LGA allocation to campaign for presidency or vice come 2023 and if both fail, will return to his awaited position as senator elect. Who said there is no money to pay workers?

1 Like

Re: “95 Per Cent Of States Can’t Pay N30,000 Minimum Wage” - Ebonyi Gov by Nobody: 2:01pm On Apr 21, 2019
ogbonti:
Nigerians and percentage grin
95% of 36 states is 34.2 States

Hahahaha, so, what makes up 1.8% of a state which is unaccounted for?

Not until this reckless use of percentage put someone in prison, una no go stop using unverified stats... percent this, percent that.... this nonsense is now part of our culture, every idiot calls out percent just to sound intelligent. Nonsense!
Perhaps 1.8% of the states work force at minimum wage level will be paid 30gran... While the rest will manage their 18gran allawee grin
Re: “95 Per Cent Of States Can’t Pay N30,000 Minimum Wage” - Ebonyi Gov by kolmart: 2:14pm On Apr 21, 2019
This man is a useless governor when he wants to embezzle money the money is available but when it is time to pay workers his language is NO MONEY why is he speaking on behalf of governors who appoint the lazy and useless man to do so?. I believe Ebonyi NLC won't let him rest until he implement the minimum wage or else he should resign his appointment as government of the state
Re: “95 Per Cent Of States Can’t Pay N30,000 Minimum Wage” - Ebonyi Gov by wristbangle: 2:52pm On Apr 21, 2019
InvertedHammer:
/
At N18k/month salary, the Kogi State government owed 6 months salaries-in-arrears. Calculate how many months she will owe at the current rate of N30k/month. (20 points)

grin grin grin
/

Considering the 67% wage increment, then kogi citizens should get ready for the next 10months with massive hunger strike! cool
Re: “95 Per Cent Of States Can’t Pay N30,000 Minimum Wage” - Ebonyi Gov by wristbangle: 2:53pm On Apr 21, 2019
InvertedHammer:
/
At N18k/month salary, the Kogi State government owed 6 months salaries-in-arrears. Calculate how many months she will owe at the current rate of N30k/month. (20 points)

grin grin grin
/

Considering the 67% increase wage increment, then kogi citizens should get ready for the next 10months with massive hunger strike! cool
Re: “95 Per Cent Of States Can’t Pay N30,000 Minimum Wage” - Ebonyi Gov by Charly68: 4:32pm On Apr 21, 2019
They could 250k minimum to political appointees but they wont pay 30k to real workers..God punish the devil in you
Re: “95 Per Cent Of States Can’t Pay N30,000 Minimum Wage” - Ebonyi Gov by KingWarri: 5:04pm On Apr 21, 2019
KingLennon:
So Nigeria can't pay its worker 30k minimum wage? This country should be sold and the money be given to the youths to relocate to another country and start-up something
grin
Re: “95 Per Cent Of States Can’t Pay N30,000 Minimum Wage” - Ebonyi Gov by KingWarri: 5:08pm On Apr 21, 2019
Naijaguy123:
They can’t pay 30,000 naira but they can pay senators and rep 2 billion naira per annum.
Exactly what was telling someone on another thread.... why can't they slash their salary to pay workers

1 Like

Re: “95 Per Cent Of States Can’t Pay N30,000 Minimum Wage” - Ebonyi Gov by KingWarri: 5:15pm On Apr 21, 2019
omohayek:

Ha ha ha ha ha! I went to an American Ivy League university with a multi-billion USD endowment, whose annual budget for a few thousand undergraduates is more than the entire state budget of any Nigerian state other than Lagos. If my institution was “underfunded”, where did you get your properly funded education, the moon?

That’s the thing about loud-mouthed, abusive ignoramuses like you: you’re so eager to reach for ad hominem attacks to substitute for the rational arguments you don’t know how to formulate that you only end up making bigger fo.ols of yourselves. Next time try either sticking to purely rational arguments or hold your tongue.
Why you come dey think like person when e brain for reverse
Re: “95 Per Cent Of States Can’t Pay N30,000 Minimum Wage” - Ebonyi Gov by omohayek: 5:52pm On Apr 21, 2019
Tianamen1:

I wholeheartedly agree with most of your suggestions. I find it curious that you seem to infer the bloatedness is isolated to the state governments.
No, I've never said any such thing, and I never would, as I don't believe anything of the kind. The reason I've confined my comments here to the state governments is because they are the units which were already in financial crisis, which has now been made worse by an FG-mandated minimum-wage increase. It isn't the FG which is constantly owing salaries.

You also state that the federal government bails out the states. How does the federal government earn money?
This is irrelevant to the question at issue, which is how states can expect to have any meaningful autonomy when almost the entirety of their revenue is handed to them by the FG in the form of federal allocations. Without raising their IGR close to sustainable levels, the states will always be vulnerable to Presidential control through unilateral withholding of federal allocations, which is precisely what Obasanjo tried to do with Tinubu: unfortunately for OBJ, Tinubu was able to show that Lagos was more than able to fund its own operations without government help.

Are federal workers better than state workers in terms of productivity.
Again, you've raised another straw man: where have I ever made any such claim? What's the point of asking such a pointless rhetorical question?

Do you believe our constitution and its sharing formula is one that can lead to development. isn't nigeria as currently constituted destined till perpertuity to a state of shitholeness?
No, I certainly don't think the current system can ever be made to work. The mass of Nigerians won't become serious about holding their local and state governments accountable until the primary sources of revenue for these tiers of government come from their own citizens, through taxation. Until that happens, government will always remain a mere matter of fighting to the death over whose turn it is to "chop" federal allocations through inflated contracts, hiring of incompetent "kinsmen" and outright embezzlement, as the man and woman on the street have no personal investment in how "free" money from Abuja is spent.

We need majority of our national income channelled towards basic education and healthcare, not state revenues but our total national income. Without changing our focus and constitution, we will simply be applying makeup on a pig.
Here you have my full agreement. Nigeria would be far better off today if all the money wasted down the years on white elephants like Ajaokuta and Nigeria Airways, or on "turnaround maintenance" on the 4 constantly idle refineries, had instead been diverted into ensuring universal, high-quality education until JSS3 level across the whole country.

Far too much of the already meager funding of Nigerian education has been wasted to create large numbers of sub-par "universities" whose graduates have no chance of finding jobs commensurate with the degrees they have obtained, whereas countries like Taiwan and South Korea put their emphasis on getting the first 9 years right for everyone. The benefit of this wasn't just that they had the skilled workforces they needed to rapidly industrialize, but also that their populations were better able to understand what was really at stake in politics as they became democratic, rendering them immune to the sorts of ridiculous tribal and religious appeals that drive Nigerian politics to the exclusion of actual policies.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: “95 Per Cent Of States Can’t Pay N30,000 Minimum Wage” - Ebonyi Gov by Mrexcell(m): 7:03pm On Apr 21, 2019
[quote author=Osagyefo98 post=77722605]Governor David Umahi of Ebonyi State on Wednesday in Abakaliki, the state capital, declared that 95 per cent of states in the country cannot pay the proposed N30, 000 minimum wage to workers.

(NAN)

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/294656-95-per-cent-of-states-cant-pay-n30-000-minimum-wage-ebonyi-gov.html#[/quote

Any governor who can't pay the #30k should simply resign from office rubbish.
Re: “95 Per Cent Of States Can’t Pay N30,000 Minimum Wage” - Ebonyi Gov by Rossikk(m): 7:31pm On Apr 21, 2019
midolian:

grin grin

Why not start by reducing the salary and allowances of you and your, your lawmakers and political appointees to see if it won't reduce the problem.

This pipo are very funny. If you know what they take home daily, you wee open mouth.

The problem with that is that the more you reduce their salaries and perks, the more they'll be involved in corruption. These guys control billions of dollars. The temptation to steal is just too much especially if they are not paying you a a high salary/perks.
Re: “95 Per Cent Of States Can’t Pay N30,000 Minimum Wage” - Ebonyi Gov by courage411: 7:36pm On Apr 21, 2019
ogbonti:
Nigerians and percentage grin
95% of 36 states is 34.2 States

Hahahaha, so, what makes up 1.8% of a state which is unaccounted for?

Not until this reckless use of percentage put someone in prison, una no go stop using unverified stats... percent this, percent that.... this nonsense is now part of our culture, every idiot calls out percent just to sound intelligent. Nonsense!
1.8 states not 1.8%
Nevertheless, he is saying rubbish. Apparently only approximately two states can which is false.
High level of innumeracy!!
Re: “95 Per Cent Of States Can’t Pay N30,000 Minimum Wage” - Ebonyi Gov by Fourwinds: 9:15pm On Apr 21, 2019
Lazy and useless governor
Re: “95 Per Cent Of States Can’t Pay N30,000 Minimum Wage” - Ebonyi Gov by MartinsD12(m): 9:46pm On Apr 21, 2019
Osagyefo98:

(NAN)

Bad Belle umahi bad governor
Re: “95 Per Cent Of States Can’t Pay N30,000 Minimum Wage” - Ebonyi Gov by Ayed44: 9:58pm On Apr 21, 2019
sophiathefirst:
Why not speak for ur state sir
So that FG can know how to help
Going by the current Federation Account Allocation formula, no state in Nigeria can pay 30k minimum wage without borrowing to augment it.

1 Like

Re: “95 Per Cent Of States Can’t Pay N30,000 Minimum Wage” - Ebonyi Gov by ogbonti: 12:03am On Apr 22, 2019
courage411:

1.8 states not 1.8%
Nevertheless, he is saying rubbish. Apparently only approximately two states can which is false.
High level of innumeracy!!

You are correct was typing in a haste as I was driving, not 1.8% of a state but 1.8 of a state

He is surely talking nonsense
Re: “95 Per Cent Of States Can’t Pay N30,000 Minimum Wage” - Ebonyi Gov by kinguwem: 8:15am On Apr 22, 2019
I'm disappointed in this governor, it means he can't think outside the box. I thought the southerners calmed the northerners were parasites. So Ebonyi State is also a parasitic state depending solely on revenue allocation. Quite shameful.
The governor is daft of ideas & shouldn't have presented himself for reelection. For God's sake, Ebonyi State is blessed with fertile land & other natural resources. How much of the state resources have been invested to develop those sections? He claims he cannot pay workers a minimum wage of N30,000 ($221) per month but is he not paying himself & other political office holders what other states are paying their politicians. Despite the harsh economic situation, is he not collecting security votes.
The problem with our leaders is lack of leadership & managerial skills. Politicians fight for offices just for their benefits but most of them do not have what it takes to move their people forward. As far as I'm concern, with this kind of people at the helm of leadership at the national & state levels, the country is doomed.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Protesters At Amnesty International Lament Non-payment After Picketing / Thugs Attack Labour Party Meeting, Injure Members, Vandalise Properties In Enugu / PDP To APC: Where Is Buhari’s Rice Pyramid, You Owe Nigerians Explanation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.