Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,193 members, 7,811,510 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:20 PM

Reps To Probe N20 Trillion ‘non-remitted’ Stamp Duty - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reps To Probe N20 Trillion ‘non-remitted’ Stamp Duty (9067 Views)

Nigerians Abroad Remitted $168bn In Eight Years – World Bank / FG Introduces Stamp Duty On House Rent Agreement, C Of O, Others / Senate To Probe CBN, NIBSS Over N20 Trillion Unremitted Stamp Duties (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reps To Probe N20 Trillion ‘non-remitted’ Stamp Duty by Blue3k2: 12:26am On Apr 26, 2019
The House of Representatives has resolved to probe an alleged non-remittance of stamp duty revenue by deposit banks in the country.

The lawmakers paased the resolution after adopting a motion of urgent national importance brought before it by Goni Lawal (APC, Yobe).

The stamp duty is the tax placed on legal documents, usually in the transfer of assets or property.

The house resolution is coming months after an FOI request was sent in July on behalf of LeaksNG to the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (OSGF), Nigerian Postal Service (NIPOST), and the Nigeria Inter-Bank Settlement System (NIBSS) PLC.

The information requested were a report of stamp duty remittances by Deposit Money Banks and other financial institutions, the current status of the stamp duty central account domiciled in the CBN, stamp duty revenue remitted to the CBN by NIBSS between 2016 and 2017 and amount of revenue collected by NIPOST between 2010 and 2016.

The lawmakers accused banks and other federal agencies involved in the collection of the fund of “shortchanging the nation”.

Moving the motion, Mr Lawan urged his colleagues to investigate the matter after “efforts by both local and international civil society organizations to get details of the collections have failed.”

He said the Nigeria Postal Service (NIPOST) had in 2014 initiated the stamp duty collection scheme, after which the School Banking Honours (SBH) obtained authorisation of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) to engage the banks and other collection agents.

“But public institutions, including the CBN, Nigeria Interbank Settlement System (NIBSS), NIPOST, among others, have over time failed to remit stamp duty taxes into the federation account running into trillions,” he said.

“While the deductible amount per bank account may seem small, it cumulatively adds up to money in trillions of naira, and must be subjected to the full condition of disclosure and transparency.”

The lawmaker added that such funds, if made available, could have been used for infrastructural development “or at least should have generated some interests in the private accounts where the fund is domiciled.”

Some lawmakers also raised concern over the issue which they said “is in disobedience to the treasury single account (TSA) policy”.

The Speaker Yakubu Dogara, while commenting on the issue said it is unacceptable for the banks to fail to remit the stamp duties to the CBN.

The speaker set up an ad hoc committee to investigate the whereabouts of the fund and report back in four weeks.

Source: https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/327006-reps-to-probe-n20-trillion-non-remitted-stamp-duty.html

2 Likes

Re: Reps To Probe N20 Trillion ‘non-remitted’ Stamp Duty by veesion: 3:15am On Apr 26, 2019
Yes

1 Like

Re: Reps To Probe N20 Trillion ‘non-remitted’ Stamp Duty by curryjuniour(m): 3:16am On Apr 26, 2019
A
Re: Reps To Probe N20 Trillion ‘non-remitted’ Stamp Duty by BarrElChapo(m): 3:16am On Apr 26, 2019
angry
Re: Reps To Probe N20 Trillion ‘non-remitted’ Stamp Duty by Dottune(m): 3:16am On Apr 26, 2019
A whole 20 trillion Naira?

18 Likes

Re: Reps To Probe N20 Trillion ‘non-remitted’ Stamp Duty by wethebest(m): 3:17am On Apr 26, 2019
We go see d money after d probing?

1 Like

Re: Reps To Probe N20 Trillion ‘non-remitted’ Stamp Duty by IMASTEX: 3:18am On Apr 26, 2019
I'll be probing my bank for the heavy debit I get on my corporate account very soon. Before probing Reps for doing nothing to this needless service charges.

1 Like

Re: Reps To Probe N20 Trillion ‘non-remitted’ Stamp Duty by brightleave(m): 3:22am On Apr 26, 2019
Chai! 20tr what?
Re: Reps To Probe N20 Trillion ‘non-remitted’ Stamp Duty by AceRoyal: 3:22am On Apr 26, 2019
tongue
Re: Reps To Probe N20 Trillion ‘non-remitted’ Stamp Duty by lanrexdo(m): 3:25am On Apr 26, 2019
angry angry
Re: Reps To Probe N20 Trillion ‘non-remitted’ Stamp Duty by propsvila: 3:25am On Apr 26, 2019
Ok
Re: Reps To Probe N20 Trillion ‘non-remitted’ Stamp Duty by Burger01(m): 3:29am On Apr 26, 2019
Always probing... Probe this, probe that... Yet nothing concrete has ever come out of all the yeye 'probings' dem don do.. angry

5 Likes

Re: Reps To Probe N20 Trillion ‘non-remitted’ Stamp Duty by SouthSouth1914: 3:29am On Apr 26, 2019
Nigeria- a country in chaos!! I dreamt today that there is a terrible war coming.. I barely dream, when I do it always happens!

3 Likes

Re: Reps To Probe N20 Trillion ‘non-remitted’ Stamp Duty by BuddhaPalm(m): 3:30am On Apr 26, 2019
Dottune:
A whole 20 trillion Naira?

For the akant
Re: Reps To Probe N20 Trillion ‘non-remitted’ Stamp Duty by Dottore: 3:37am On Apr 26, 2019
It has been proved over and over again that there's no business, firm or organization in Nigeria with 100percent integrity when handling public funds.
Imagine how banks make it a point of duty to automatically deduct stamp duty from virtually every transaction by all customers yet they fail to remit it to the federal government.
The money involved is more than enough to fund the national budget and there wouldn't be need to borrow a dime from any foreign organization or country.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reps To Probe N20 Trillion ‘non-remitted’ Stamp Duty by Blue3k2: 3:40am On Apr 26, 2019
The speaker set up an ad hoc committee to investigate the whereabouts of the fund and report back in four weeks.

Man we have to wait 4 weeks for a conclusion. This would be interesting if it leads to arrest and prosecution.
Re: Reps To Probe N20 Trillion ‘non-remitted’ Stamp Duty by wakes: 3:41am On Apr 26, 2019
Ok
Re: Reps To Probe N20 Trillion ‘non-remitted’ Stamp Duty by wakes: 3:42am On Apr 26, 2019
SouthSouth1914:
Nigeria- a country in chaos!! I dreamt today that there is a terrible war coming.. I barely dream, when I do it always happens!
I cancel that dream in Jesus name. Say Amen

12 Likes

Re: Reps To Probe N20 Trillion ‘non-remitted’ Stamp Duty by edo3(m): 3:45am On Apr 26, 2019
So so torey everywhere.. All na wash
Re: Reps To Probe N20 Trillion ‘non-remitted’ Stamp Duty by markidoo(m): 3:57am On Apr 26, 2019
SouthSouth1914:
when last did you treat malaria or typhoid??

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reps To Probe N20 Trillion ‘non-remitted’ Stamp Duty by Ibrahim9090: 4:05am On Apr 26, 2019
Noted
Re: Reps To Probe N20 Trillion ‘non-remitted’ Stamp Duty by rinzaugustine: 4:35am On Apr 26, 2019
They waited till after elections because they know the people that are involved

1 Like

Re: Reps To Probe N20 Trillion ‘non-remitted’ Stamp Duty by sleekman(m): 5:13am On Apr 26, 2019
SouthSouth1914:
had a similar dream in 2012. Unfortunately, mine is more like a world War but the forces behind the war were more spiritual.

1 Like

Re: Reps To Probe N20 Trillion ‘non-remitted’ Stamp Duty by niggi4life(m): 5:32am On Apr 26, 2019
Na wa o.

That money if remitted will fund our budget for more than 3years without us borrowing.

At times when you look at corruption from all sectors in this country, the best you can just do is to leave the country for them.

If i have my way, i will take out all d middle class and low class away from this country... Let the elites rule themselves

2 Likes

Re: Reps To Probe N20 Trillion ‘non-remitted’ Stamp Duty by Debaiz: 5:35am On Apr 26, 2019
Haaaaaa 3years budget without borrowing. So we have dis kain money and one useless actress is shouting no money in circulation.

Please EFCC should also do their own probing. I don’t trust these reps. If they receive money from the banks now they will keep quiet.

2 Likes

Re: Reps To Probe N20 Trillion ‘non-remitted’ Stamp Duty by cardoctor(m): 5:36am On Apr 26, 2019
Nigeria's budget for 3 years.

1 Like

Re: Reps To Probe N20 Trillion ‘non-remitted’ Stamp Duty by SOFTENGR: 5:37am On Apr 26, 2019
APCheat no dey disappoint. They will soon sweep the matter under the carpet.
Re: Reps To Probe N20 Trillion ‘non-remitted’ Stamp Duty by SOFTENGR: 5:40am On Apr 26, 2019
SouthSouth1914:
What is happening in North East, Kaduna, Benue, etc Are they not terrible enough? Abeg keep your dreams to yourself or rather, go and treat malaria.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria’s Internet Subscribers Dropped By 9 Million In One Year – NBS / I Never Endorsed Any Presidential Or Governorship Candidate - Soyinka / SSS And Northern Leaders Deal Exposed?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.