Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,436 members, 7,815,988 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:54 PM

Who Trnslated The Bible To Igbo Language For The First Time? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Who Trnslated The Bible To Igbo Language For The First Time? (3355 Views)

Anytime I Pick Up My Bible To Read , I Always Feel Sleepy / Do You Still Take Your Bible To Church? / Pastor Ruth Masuruwa Gives Bible To Emmerson Mnangagwa In Zimbabwe (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Trnslated The Bible To Igbo Language For The First Time? by Goldmind1(m): 11:54am On Apr 27, 2019
Pls can someone tell me with proof who translated the Bible to Igbo Language for the first time.
Re: Who Trnslated The Bible To Igbo Language For The First Time? by funmijoyb(f): 12:15pm On Apr 27, 2019
Goldmind1:
Pls can someone tell me with proof who translated the Bible to Igbo Language for the first time.
Ajayi Crowther

1 Like

Re: Who Trnslated The Bible To Igbo Language For The First Time? by Nobody: 11:11am On Nov 10, 2019
It was not Ajayi Crowther. The first man to translate the bible to igbo was a sierra Leonean(a former igbo slave) John Christopher Taylor in the 1800s. We worked under Ajayi Crowther who was the Bishop of the Niger at that time. The second attempt was in 1913 by John Dennis. Let us get the facts straight.

2 Likes

Re: Who Trnslated The Bible To Igbo Language For The First Time? by marsman: 2:32pm On Aug 21, 2022
Bishop Samuel Ajayi Crowther learnt Igbo, translated the Bible into Igbo Language, making him the first person to produce an Igbo Language Bible, and also produced the first book in Igbo language in the mid 19th century. Although, with the help of simon Jonas the igbo slave from free town.

However, he went further and produced the first comprehensive dictionary in Igbo Language in 1882- Vocabulary of the Ibo Language . In 1883 however, Crowther and Federick schon jointly revised it and added more words and finally came out with Vocabulary of the Ibo Language, Part II an English-Ibo dictionary.
Re: Who Trnslated The Bible To Igbo Language For The First Time? by GodWrites: 7:11pm On Aug 21, 2022
If people could learn how the English bible was written, they might lose their faith—no doubt a tool of control of power that men use to control the masses.

(1) (Reply)

Are The Atheists On Nairaland Scared Of Islam? / World Cup: Where Is The God Of Isreal Now? / What Seem To Be The Difference Between The Old And New Covenant?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.