Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,637 members, 7,809,391 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:43 AM

Is Oatmeal Fattening? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Is Oatmeal Fattening? (21425 Views)

Is Banana Fattening? / Is Vegetable Fattening? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Oatmeal Fattening? by Nobody: 2:24pm On Sep 19, 2010
I like oatmeal and I have been more of it lately so I want to know if it can lead to weight gain or if it has any other undesireable effect.
Nutritionists in the house, please your advice is needed. What is the nutritional value of oatmeal? I take it with honey as sweetner. Thanks.
Re: Is Oatmeal Fattening? by Nobody: 3:23pm On Sep 19, 2010
sexual stimulant
Re: Is Oatmeal Fattening? by Romeo4rea1: 12:33am On Sep 21, 2010
Oatmeal is not inherently fattening, but like any other complex carbohydrate, eating too much of it without any form of exercise will lead to excess calories. This excess is what is fattening.
Oatmeal has a low glycemic index (GI) - which means it is not quickly absorbed into the blood stream and the body will uses more calories to digest it. Add this to the high amounts of fiber, vitamin E, zinc, selenium, copper, iron, manganese and magnesium in oatmeal, it is highly nutritious and an excellent source of complex carbohydrates. A cup of oatmeal,approx 80g is equal to 300 calories in the body.

1 Like

Re: Is Oatmeal Fattening? by Nobody: 6:35am On Sep 21, 2010
That's good to know. So in a way it helps one loose weight. Hmmm.
Re: Is Oatmeal Fattening? by Nobody: 8:25am On Sep 21, 2010
Daily consumption of a bowl of oatmeal can lower blood cholesterol, due to its soluble fiber content
Re: Is Oatmeal Fattening? by Gemma11: 12:07pm On Sep 21, 2010
It's really healthy just don't add too much milk or sugar to sweeten it and you will be fine.

I often make mine with water and add blueberries or strawberries to sweeten. Sometimes I put in a it of honey too and stay clear of milk and sugar altogether.

As someone above said, it is great for lowering cholesterol and also keeps you feeling full for longer. That plus it is low in calories (without milk or sugar) low in fat.
Re: Is Oatmeal Fattening? by 2sleek2NV(m): 2:06pm On Sep 21, 2010
Gemma11:

It's really healthy just don't add too much milk or sugar to sweeten it and you will be fine.

I often make mine with water and add blueberries or strawberries to sweeten. Sometimes I put in a it of honey too and stay clear of milk and sugar altogether.

As someone above said, it is great for lowering cholesterol and also keeps you feeling full for longer. That plus it is low in calories (without milk or sugar) low in fat.

abeg e get oat wey dem dey use groundnut oil or petrol make abi dem dey chop am raw now? (no offence, just saying grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin)
Re: Is Oatmeal Fattening? by denony(m): 2:17pm On Sep 21, 2010
2sleek2NV:

abeg e get oat wey dem dey use groundnut oil or petrol make abi dem dey chop am raw now? (no offence, just saying grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin)

You are a trouble maker grin
Re: Is Oatmeal Fattening? by Yorisb: 2:31pm On Sep 21, 2010
olas2u:

sexual stimulant
shocked

It can not be called this^^^ - Albeit it contains beta-glucan & selenium.
Re: Is Oatmeal Fattening? by forgetInot(f): 2:45pm On Sep 21, 2010
Oatmeal is pure fibre, you just have to be careful what you add to it.
Re: Is Oatmeal Fattening? by 2sleek2NV(m): 2:46pm On Sep 21, 2010
denony:

You are a trouble maker  grin

bro's hw i go do na. u sef, u no reason am as i reason am?  grin grin grin grin
Re: Is Oatmeal Fattening? by DeepSoul(f): 3:39pm On Sep 21, 2010
It creates better bowel movements

For those people wey no understand English, it helps you sh!!t well i.e without stress and increases regularity of sh!ting too  grin

I love oatmeal. It isnt fattening except you pack milk and sugar inside.

For fear of it being too plain, you can add honey, fruits (eg apples) or even groundnuts sef to it
Re: Is Oatmeal Fattening? by Yorisb: 3:51pm On Sep 21, 2010
Deep Soul:

For fear of it being too plain, you can add honey, fruits (eg apples) or even groundnuts sef to it

Are u serious?  grin grin grin
Re: Is Oatmeal Fattening? by Ranoscky(m): 5:39pm On Sep 21, 2010
^
grin grin grin grin grin

My broda

shey dis one no taya u? grin. . .y add only groundnut, y not add it 'Onion & Vegetable'? undecided

I hardly miss dat meal. Even i ate it dis mornin. I enjoy eatin it with condence milk! kiss
Re: Is Oatmeal Fattening? by Romeo4rea1: 7:07pm On Sep 21, 2010
@Fellis - posted some info, but again not showing. Check my profile to see it. If you copy and paste it here, maybe it will show under your profile.
Re: Is Oatmeal Fattening? by Nobody: 9:10pm On Sep 21, 2010
Well I definitely wouldn't recommend eating it everyday except you live a very active life. It can be fattening as it contains about 10 percent saturated fat and it is a complex carbohydrate which takes the body time to breakdown.
You can always get your daily requirement of vitamins and minerals from natural fruits and vegetables. You definitely shouldn't need to eat highly processed foods to get that.

1 Like

Re: Is Oatmeal Fattening? by Nobody: 9:25pm On Sep 21, 2010
Oatmeal is not inherently fattening, but like any other complex carbohydrate, eating too much of it without any form of exercise will lead to excess calories. This excess is what is fattening.
Oatmeal has a low glycemic index (GI) - which means it is not quickly absorbed into the blood stream and the body will uses more calories to digest it. Add this to the high amounts of fiber, vitamin E, zinc, selenium, copper, iron, manganese and magnesium in oatmeal, it is highly nutritious and an excellent source of complex carbohydrates. A cup of oatmeal,approx 80g is equal to 300 calories in the body

Well it is fattening in the sense that by itself it is quite boring and sometimes may appear to be an appetizer. Definitely I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who wants to lose weight quickly or who leads a sedentary life.
Re: Is Oatmeal Fattening? by mamagee3(f): 11:49pm On Sep 21, 2010
Oatmeal is not fattening!

It's more of wheat and flour mixed together.
Re: Is Oatmeal Fattening? by Nobody: 12:02am On Sep 22, 2010
^^Actually the main ingredient is oats itself. Though  flour and other fats are mixed in with it just to make it more palatable.
Honestly though, anyone here who decides to keep stuffing his face with quaker oats without taking fairly regular exercise would just get fat. undecided
Re: Is Oatmeal Fattening? by InkedNerd(f): 5:54am On Sep 22, 2010
Oatmeal isn't fattening as long as you exercise. I tend to eat a lot of oatmeal as well. As a matter of fact, I've been eating summer almost every morning for the entirety of summer. Sometimes I have a habit of eating the same thing for long periods of time. I use milk or sugar in my oat meal though. I usually add fruits like peaches or bananas to it.
Re: Is Oatmeal Fattening? by Okijajuju1(m): 9:17am On Sep 22, 2010
Oatmeal is fattening

Just read the dietary label on the side of the packet!
Re: Is Oatmeal Fattening? by OboBoco(f): 10:38am On Sep 22, 2010
well, oatmeal is fattening
i am an example, i ate it so much
and now my face is full.
Re: Is Oatmeal Fattening? by Nobody: 10:43am On Sep 22, 2010
Okija_juju:

Oatmeal is fattening

Just read the dietary label on the side of the packet!

It is curious how many people avoid just simply reading the label. Those stated figures for calories, saturated fats and salts do add up in the end.

As I said if your work or lifestyle is highly sedentary, then it is better to avoid such highly processed foods  in the morning.

You can drink a cup of coffee or tea in the morning for stimulation if you can't avoid skipping breakfast. undecided
Re: Is Oatmeal Fattening? by manny4life(m): 3:30pm On Sep 22, 2010
Inked_Nerd:

Oatmeal isn't fattening as long as you exercise. I tend to eat a lot of oatmeal as well. As a matter of fact, I've been eating summer almost every morning for the entirety of summer. Sometimes I have a habit of eating the same thing for long periods of time. I use milk or sugar in my oat meal though. I usually add fruits like peaches or bananas to it.

I don't think oatmeal is fattening, because my mom eats a lot of oats. Just like my mom, at her age she does a lot of exercise, way more than I do. She says it has lots of fiber and nutrients and yeah she uses some kinda organic honey on it, in lieu of sugar and add some fruits to it as well. Also she makes Oatmeal cookies that has fruits in it and them cookies are so good yet healthy.
Re: Is Oatmeal Fattening? by InkedNerd(f): 5:18pm On Sep 22, 2010
manny4life:

I don't think oatmeal is fattening, because my mom eats a lot of oats. Just like my mom, at her age she does a lot of exercise, way more than I do. She says it has lots of fiber and nutrients and yeah she uses some kinda organic honey on it, in lieu of sugar and add some fruits to it as well. Also she makes Oatmeal cookies that has fruits in it and them cookies are so good yet healthy.

I don't really think its fattening either, I was just going by the "too much of a good thing" rule--I eat a lot oatmeal, sometimes through out the entire day. I used to use organic honey as well. Haven't bought any in a while. Your moms right about oatmeal having lots of fiber in it. It also good for your cholesterol. Oatmeal cookies huh? Lucky you.
Re: Is Oatmeal Fattening? by manny4life(m): 5:52pm On Sep 22, 2010
^^^^ Yeah and I mean home baked cookies with 70% oats, its unlike the Oatmeal raisin you see at the grocery store.
Re: Is Oatmeal Fattening? by InkedNerd(f): 6:12pm On Sep 22, 2010
That's good. My mother never bakes cookies so if I want homemade cookies I gotta make 'em myself. Last summer I tried making raisin oatmeal cookies for first time. But now I've move on to bigger and better things--cake!!! Without frosting or additives of course grin
Re: Is Oatmeal Fattening? by madlady(f): 8:00pm On Sep 22, 2010
fellis:

I like oatmeal and I have been more of it lately so I want to know if it can lead to weight gain or if it has any other undesireable effect.
Nutritionists in the house, please your advice is needed.

What is the nutritional value of oatmeal?

I take it with honey as sweetner. Thanks.

Oatmeal's very good for you but it is quite calorific.

Quaker Scots Porridge Oats :Nutritional value.

368 calories 100g

Protein 11 per 100g

Fat 8 per 100g

Fibre 7 per 100g

Oats can be used in savoury dishes also, it makes a great crispy coating for meat or fish.
Re: Is Oatmeal Fattening? by Nobody: 1:25am On Sep 23, 2010
anything, even apples, can be fattening if eaten in excess.
Re: Is Oatmeal Fattening? by kenway(m): 12:51am On Sep 24, 2010
Even though it has a high calorific value oatmeal is very far from making you fat. If combined with foods with unsaturated fats it lowers the glycemic index of those foods thereby reducing their ability to form fats in your body. Please refer to book by Dr. Philip Leibtz (good diet, bad diet.)
Re: Is Oatmeal Fattening? by isijango: 5:50am On Sep 24, 2010
Oat MEal is not fattening, but you need to be doing some exer
cise , exercise is always a good thing for the body
Re: Is Oatmeal Fattening? by Nobody: 10:30am On Sep 24, 2010
davidylan:

anything, even apples, can be fattening if eaten in excess.
The point is that it is fattening if you live a sedentary life without doing very regular aerobic exercises like jogging,  swimming or power walking. Mere lifting of weights in the gym does not count. undecided undecided
It is also much more addictive than apples so it is very easy to over-indulge.

(1) (2) (Reply)

NDLEA Seizes Trailer Truck Of Codeine Drugs In Katsina (Photo) / Qualified Nurse Or Auxiliary Nurse (difference) / Adamawa Records First Case Of Coronavirus, A Returnee From Kano

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.