Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,718 members, 7,809,724 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:57 PM

I Feel Betrayed By My Wife. : What Do I Do? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / I Feel Betrayed By My Wife. : What Do I Do? (11887 Views)

I Feel so Angry With My Husband. Help! / Help! I Am Being Physically Abused By My Wife! What Will I Do? / My Dad's Planning For A Second Wife, What Do I Do? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Feel Betrayed By My Wife. : What Do I Do? by Betrayed(m): 2:28pm On Sep 19, 2010
I have been married for 20 years and we have 2 lovely kids.  Until recently I could say I was very happy in the marriage and that would be candid.  We have lived an average and comfortable life financially and otherwise, and of recent God has blessed us even the more and we can afford more luxury.  All of a sudden, my wife have come up to tell me about the relationship she had just before we met.  This is something she has never mentioned before.  The man is about my age and now a very successful and wealthy man, even though he was just starting when they were going out, and would have passed for an average person then as well.  From her story, she was double dating us then and I did not even know.  She obviously prefer him to me and for reasons best known to her she told me what a wonderful man he was and that he was actually better than me in all aspects of life, even on bed.  The only reason she did not marry him is because he had another girlfriend then, also known to her who was more compatible with him, and they eventually married.  Their separation was mutual and obviously they must have remain as friends.  While he could have been so 'wonderful' or whatever as he has made a big success out of his life, I don't envy him in anyway. I am very proud of who I am. We are all individuals and what anybody is or is not cannot have anything to do with me.

I feel betrayed because we have discussed all our ex before we married and I believed I knew everything.  I did ask specifically and she lied to me.  I have been on the road most of my career and have left her alone in the house for extended period without any iota of suspicion.  We live in the same town with the man and worst still he is a public figure and known as a womaniser.  Me and this man are completely different in personality, character and interest.  With the benefit of hindsight, most of the problems and quarrels we had early in our marriage was because she would want me to do things and behave in ways that this man normally would and I wouldn't cause we are just different people.  I also did not know about him, so I didn't even know where all those issues and interest were coming from, and we were just quarrelling for nothing.  She was trying to see this man in me which obviously was impossible.  She took me through that stress for nothing.

I am a family man and have lived all my life around my family.  To discover at this stage that I have invested all my adult life on a woman I really didn't know is quite a disappointment.  It's heart breaking to imagine that my own dear wife had such a deep relationship with another man when I thought we were both madly in love in the courtship that led to our marriage. A marriage in which I have so far remain faithful and committed. I see the picture of this man often on TV and in the papers and can't imagine what must have been in her mind all along as she must have been seeing it too.  This is very difficult for me.  If this man did not suceed as much, would I ever know? How many others were out there or still there that I didn't know and may never know just make everything look difficult. It's quite painful

My kids are grown and now spend most of the time in boarding house.  I don't think a divorce will hurt them as much as when they were still at home.  This is just difficult for me.  It's a sore that may never heal. I spend every single day now in agony.  I'm extremely bitter.  She must be thinking she took me for a fool  This is difficult for me.
Re: I Feel Betrayed By My Wife. : What Do I Do? by adaphik(f): 2:38pm On Sep 19, 2010
OMG,, i feel ur pain n agony, Life can be very unfair, indeed. R u exactly saying that she is currently having an extramarital affair or that she did not disclose wat she was supposed to disclose earlier on. So that we know weda a divorce is called for or not.
Re: I Feel Betrayed By My Wife. : What Do I Do? by Odunnu: 2:44pm On Sep 19, 2010
I feel your pains,honestly I do Sir.
You forgot to tell us what brought this man's issue after so many yearz.Maybe it'l help us discuss this better.
Re: I Feel Betrayed By My Wife. : What Do I Do? by Betrayed(m): 2:45pm On Sep 19, 2010
can't say extramarital now, as I can't prove it.  Just don't know what have been going on in the past especially when she kept the information a secret
Re: I Feel Betrayed By My Wife. : What Do I Do? by Betrayed(m): 2:47pm On Sep 19, 2010
Odunnu, nothing brought it. it was out of the blues. she just felt like
Re: I Feel Betrayed By My Wife. : What Do I Do? by favouredjb(f): 2:58pm On Sep 19, 2010
Eeya,sorry I knw aw u feel,but dnt let mere suspicion of ur wife of twenny years ruin everything

1 Like

Re: I Feel Betrayed By My Wife. : What Do I Do? by adaphik(f): 3:08pm On Sep 19, 2010
Betrayed:

Odunnu, nothing brought it. it was out of the blues. she just felt like
Good question, There must have been smth that made her tell u suddenly. Its not ordinary sir, ppl dont just wake up n feel like saying things, esp when they know it'll hurt.
Re: I Feel Betrayed By My Wife. : What Do I Do? by Nobody: 3:21pm On Sep 19, 2010
Women can hide information till death,Its painful

1 Like

Re: I Feel Betrayed By My Wife. : What Do I Do? by Nobody: 6:53pm On Sep 19, 2010
Re: I Feel Betrayed By My Wife. : What Do I Do? by Betrayed(m): 7:34pm On Sep 19, 2010
Thanks chaircover.  I'm still lost as to why telling me after 20 years.  I can't trace anything to it, and from her own account, it could not have been me if there is any chance in the world to marry this man.  She fought it and lost.  To express such fondness over another man to your husband of 20 years is unimaginable.  Anyway, I just feel hurt and betrayed.  I have no proof that she has been seeing him, neither do I have any proof that she has not.  If ther had been any contact, I sure will not expect her to confess, as she had lied even when it did not matter.  She obviously have ample time to see him if she wants and that is the painful part.  It's also hard being told you were the second choice to your face.

All the same i agree it could be more emotional than anything and I should not allow that to cloud my judgement.

thanks again chaircover

1 Like

Re: I Feel Betrayed By My Wife. : What Do I Do? by Nobody: 7:42pm On Sep 19, 2010
Re: I Feel Betrayed By My Wife. : What Do I Do? by Betrayed(m): 7:58pm On Sep 19, 2010
It's abviously eating at me. That is the only reason I will bring it here, and she also knows that it's eating at me. The man may not want her again after 20 years, but what of 15 years, or 10 years and 5 years. When we just married etc. The fact that she hid that aspect of her life is an indication that the channel was still open. I can't tell. If DNA would not cause undue complication for the kids I would have been calling for it. It's really disturbing
Re: I Feel Betrayed By My Wife. : What Do I Do? by Nobody: 8:24pm On Sep 19, 2010
Re: I Feel Betrayed By My Wife. : What Do I Do? by Betrayed(m): 8:32pm On Sep 19, 2010
Thanks madam. I appreciate your advise
Re: I Feel Betrayed By My Wife. : What Do I Do? by tpiah: 9:22pm On Sep 19, 2010
paranoia if you ask me.

chaircover also hit the nail on the head.
Re: I Feel Betrayed By My Wife. : What Do I Do? by Odunnu: 9:28pm On Sep 19, 2010
I'l add that u shd make out time soon and have a real talk with ur wife,let her knw how much she's hurt u by her avoidable utterances,tell her ur fears (she's ur wife afterall) and let her talk as well.
I'm sure u'l both overcome ths storm. Cheer up!
Re: I Feel Betrayed By My Wife. : What Do I Do? by Odunnu: 9:28pm On Sep 19, 2010
I'l add that u shd make out time soon and have a real talk with ur wife,let her knw how much she's hurt u by her avoidable utterances,tell her ur fears (she's ur wife afterall) and let her talk as well.
I'm sure u'l both overcome ths storm. Cheer up!
Re: I Feel Betrayed By My Wife. : What Do I Do? by Igwe9(m): 10:37pm On Sep 19, 2010
I still insist that there must be a genesis for this revelation, in as much as this could be better imagined than seen, there still lie a few solutions out there of which one of them is to pretend as if you didn't hear her say that, I suppose that would help her realise how silly and daft she really is.
Re: I Feel Betrayed By My Wife. : What Do I Do? by likeme(m): 12:33am On Sep 20, 2010
I can feel ur pain especially when you got to know that you are a second fiddle to the woman you have been loving for 20 years. Sooo sadddddd. There might still be more lies, she might have confessed all but TRUST has gone.

It's sooo sad what some of our women can do!. LIFE, AIYE lobirin ooo
Re: I Feel Betrayed By My Wife. : What Do I Do? by Gamine(f): 12:47am On Sep 20, 2010
This is so disturbing.

All you can do is talk about it if it doesn't work,
move out.
Either your sanity or her selfishness.
Re: I Feel Betrayed By My Wife. : What Do I Do? by OAM4J: 4:45am On Sep 20, 2010
I feel your pain bro.

but as you have been advised, talk to your wife 1st, let her know how you feel about the revelation; only then will you know her true motive for telling you and the details of what transpired in the past.

pls be patient. you dont wanna throw away what you have built over 20yrs just on mere suspicion.
Re: I Feel Betrayed By My Wife. : What Do I Do? by tpiah: 6:05am On Sep 20, 2010
Re: I Feel Betrayed By My Wife. : What Do I Do? by softgirl1: 11:48am On Sep 20, 2010
like i will continue to say seperation is not the best option in marriage wat if she did not tell u pls just forgive ur wife and move on neva u tink of leaving ur wife because of that i understand how u feel but pls forgive and forget for the sake of ur children and for the love u have for and also for God sake
Re: I Feel Betrayed By My Wife. : What Do I Do? by Nobody: 11:59am On Sep 20, 2010
You might wanna help me solve these mystery.

Why and how did she bring it up? can you let go of your emotions and think with your head for a second? Did she just wake up from the blues and say "Hey honey , there was this guy I dated 20 yrs back and believe me there has been none like him even after him"

She knows it's eating you up what exactly has she done to settle your wandering mind and emotions? What exactly is her reaction to all these?
Re: I Feel Betrayed By My Wife. : What Do I Do? by Nobody: 11:59am On Sep 20, 2010
Why can't women just learn how to keep their mouths shut    undecided

Why did she have to go and open her big mouth after all these years eh? Na wa oh!

I still can't understand the reasoning behind 'telling'!  angry
Re: I Feel Betrayed By My Wife. : What Do I Do? by Nobody: 12:05pm On Sep 20, 2010
^^ 20 yrs of married life, I was thinking she'd know better. Even during dating and stuffs a woman Should be able to know what to tell a man and what not to. You can call a man an eediot, slap, beat kick him and get away with it and he'd just forgive you, But opening your wide mouth and telling your husband of 20 yrs that your ex is far better than him in d sexual aspect meaning she settled for the second best and had to wait for 20 yrs to tell him these?is wicked. No man wouldn't get hurt if you start comparing his sexual skills with that of another. Especially if this man has done almost evrything(name it) to make you happy

Haba women

1 Like

Re: I Feel Betrayed By My Wife. : What Do I Do? by Nobody: 12:25pm On Sep 20, 2010
^^^ It'll serve her right if she get tossed out of he big mouthed behind!
Re: I Feel Betrayed By My Wife. : What Do I Do? by tshepiso(f): 2:36pm On Sep 20, 2010
you really need a vacaton hey!come down to south africa!
Re: I Feel Betrayed By My Wife. : What Do I Do? by Nobody: 3:34pm On Sep 20, 2010
Eediot,come down to south Africa so that you can take over?c'mon go and look for your own man
Re: I Feel Betrayed By My Wife. : What Do I Do? by Odunnu: 4:22pm On Sep 20, 2010
tshepiso:

Easy babe! I dnt thnk he needs a vacation just yet,if he does,i'l recommend somewhre else not SA.
In Nigeria we respect the marriage institution,and the parties involved. Is it like that in SA?
Re: I Feel Betrayed By My Wife. : What Do I Do? by Odunnu: 4:24pm On Sep 20, 2010
tshepiso:

Easy babe! I dnt thnk he needs a vacation just yet,if he does,i'l recommend somewhre else not SA.
In Nigeria we respect the marriage institution,and the parties involved. Is it like that in SA?
Re: I Feel Betrayed By My Wife. : What Do I Do? by tshepiso(f): 4:28pm On Sep 20, 2010
dear i already have a great nigerian man!thanks but no thanks!i am just recommending he takes a vacation not necessarily south africa.abi na village you wan make him go?abi you like wetin dey happen to the man,and you no need to dey rude to me at all.na wa for you ooo!person like you fit do those kind thing to your man.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Tired Bachelor Looking For Purposeful Friendship / My Husband Has Just Had A Baby With Another Woman - I Am Hurting / How Often Do You Say "I Love You" In The Family??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.