Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,436 members, 7,815,989 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:54 PM

Who Are The Ndigbo? -only For Real Intellectuals - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Are The Ndigbo? -only For Real Intellectuals (704 Views)

Can Tinubu Actually Face Obi In A Debate Of Intellectuals? / The Shocking Insincerity Of The Igbo Intellectuals Over Nnamdi Kanu And Ipob / What The Ndigbo Nation Wants? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Are The Ndigbo? -only For Real Intellectuals by teufelein(f): 3:32pm On May 01, 2019
Who are the Ndigbo? -Only For Real Intellectuals

The essence of making this post is for people to modestly contribute to the origin of the great Igbo race in order to educate and enlighten the world. There is nothing to worry about. The ultimate question is: who are the Ndigbo?

I am inquisitive, I am upset. Let there be an intellectual inquiry into this: I have been told that the name 'Igbo' naturally means slave(but I know it is not true). I have also been given a lead that there is evidence which is a by-product of seriously flawed research from the coastal region of the former Eastern Region of the Zoo called Nigeria. Recently, somebody from Ijaw part of Biafraland claimed that the Ijaws were the masters and the Igbos were the slaves. How authentic is this, were the Ijaws original settlers and the Igbos aliens brought in from somewhere and sold to the Ijaws?

My observation though is that during the slave trade, everybody was a victim including the Ijaws. the Igbos sold their own, and the Igbos also were bought, a lot of atrocities happened including Arochukwu legacy but this fallacy that Igbos were naturally slaves is a generational insult. In the mainland Igboland, there was slavery going on but it was through the waterways, coastal regions that the slave masters transported the slaves out(because the most via channel of transportation were the waterways) and so, slave exchanges in the trade was booming in that coastal region and naturally a lot of transactions took place there.

My Questions: What is the authenticity of this research that the name 'Igbo' means slave? If the Igbos are slaves in relation to Ijaws, how come the Igbos are prosperous and most Ijaws, with exception of a few, are drinking kai, kai today? Let there be an honest public intellectual enquiry on this. We need open and transparent findings on this that records be put straight.
Re: Who Are The Ndigbo? -only For Real Intellectuals by AlhajaChinyere: 3:46pm On May 01, 2019
Hmmm.......

Make I go ask ASARI DOKUBO!

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Ndigbo? -only For Real Intellectuals by IkpuMmadu: 4:48pm On May 01, 2019
teufelein:

The essence of making this post is for people to modestly contribute to the origin of the great Igbo race in order to educate and enlighten the world. There is nothing to worry about. The ultimate question is: who are the Ndigbo?

I am inquisitive, I am upset. Let there be an intellectual inquiry into this: I have been told that the name 'Igbo' naturally means slave(but I know it is not true). I have also been given a lead that there is evidence which is a by-product of seriously flawed research from the coastal region of the former Eastern Region of the Zoo called Nigeria. Recently, somebody from Ijaw part of Biafraland claimed that the Ijaws were the masters and the Igbos were the slaves. How authentic is this, were the Ijaws original settlers and the Igbos aliens brought in from somewhere and sold to the Ijaws?

My observation though is that during the slave trade, everybody was a victim including the Ijaws. the Igbos sold their own, and the Igbos also were bought, a lot of atrocities happened including Arochukwu legacy but this fallacy that Igbos were naturally slaves is a generational insult. In the mainland Igboland, there was slavery going on but it was through the waterways, coastal regions that the slave masters transported the slaves out(because the most via channel of transportation were the waterways) and so, slave exchanges in the trade was booming in that coastal region and naturally a lot of transactions took place there.

My Questions: What is the authenticity of this research that the name 'Igbo' means slave? If the Igbos are slaves in relation to Ijaws, how come the Igbos are prosperous and most Ijaws, with exception of a few, are drinking kai, kai today? Let there be an honest public intellectual enquiry on this. We need open and transparent findings on this that records be put straight.

Well let me add my voice

From Yoruba to Calabar, from Isoko to Ibibio were all slaves and we're sold including the Igbo

In Europe Irish were sold also in North the Arabs enslaved the Hausa And northen tribes in Africa

The name Igbo isnt slave but meaning the people of ancient ndị gboo ( ancient folks ) it is only in Igbo That you see towns bearing the names of the tribe like Igbo ukwu, azuigbo , Igbuzor etc it's only in Igbo land That you see people bearing Igbo names like Igbokwe igboanugo etc

This is to show the authenticity of Igbo unlike Yoruba that was coined by Hausa meaning Yoruba though their original name is anonga though they see it derogatory

Hausa is a forgotten tribe the Arab and Islamic culture has eroded that and they are enslaved by fulani

Do you know that no Hausa man is a king in Hausa land Today all are fulani

So when next you see Igbo. Bro respect them

They are ndị gboo the ancient

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Are The Ndigbo? -only For Real Intellectuals by pchukwudi: 5:44pm On May 01, 2019
All Africans are my slaves. My ancestors bought, sold and used them. The documented historical facts are there in the library for all to see.

Now go and open an INTELLECTUAL thread to discuss how or whether Africans were ever my slaves.

You guys are so unbelievably silly for giving even an iota of attention to that pompous trash.

Act like your boss KANU and ignore the dolt. And if you must respond to him, insult him properly like your deputy leader, Uche Mefor, has done repeatedly.

It's silly to even think of any kind of discussion or reasoning with that unreasonable idiot. So, threads like this only make you lots look like idiots.

You're welcome.

[s]
teufelein:

[/s]

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Ndigbo? -only For Real Intellectuals by helinues: 5:49pm On May 01, 2019
Still on Asari vs Kanu.

Are you guys no longer brothers... Hahahaha

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Ndigbo? -only For Real Intellectuals by teufelein(f): 5:52pm On May 01, 2019
....my biafran eyes

Re: Who Are The Ndigbo? -only For Real Intellectuals by Igbomozlem: 8:52pm On May 01, 2019
teufelein:

Dear tuefelein God be pleased with you for this inquiry.

For first time in over 14months i took bold step and registered in nairaland today because my guest access is limited for interaction i cant post in it. I register myself as who i am. I have stayed away from here because our people are very intolerant but iam ready to grab the bull by the horns and stop hiding who i am. If it wasnt for this topic i wont even be here to be honeat. My sole reason here is to talk on this topic and please lets focus and leave other people out. It is pathetic and very unfortunate what is happening to us in Nigeria. We are not looking inward at all. Our obsession with Yoruba and Hausa/Fulani contributes to half our problems. We must look inward. Let me say a very big mistake was made when the name was changed from ibo to Igbo. I believe this action itself was unilateral. Prof Achebe decided we must now be known as Igbo and that was it. Did he consult and could he have given a more defining and profound name than Igbo. Personally i believe Ibo is more defining than Igbo but maybe we should have even changed from Ibo to Biafra back then. Consulting with others, rather than making a sole decision may have helped nailed the proper name to use. Each ethnic group have their own way for naming. I think one of the root problems with us is name. Name is important. We did not get it right but its not late to find a befitting name so we can redefine and eliminate many stereotypes attached to Igbo.

Another thing is our ancestry is all over the place. We have Eri, Aro, Igala, Bini. Now we are talking about Jewish and then we are insulted from across the river with Ife origin. Sometimes this thing pain my heart. Who are we, what is our past, where are qe now and where do we qant to go? I dont think Yoruba or Hausa can provide answer to us. So why dont we focus and inward and stop opening ourselves to ridicule from every dick and harry. Lately smal pikin Ijaw is now insulting us. OP keep this discussion live abeg.
Re: Who Are The Ndigbo? -only For Real Intellectuals by Buzoman: 9:13pm On May 01, 2019
The name Igbo was coined out of Ndi-gbo ancient people. When the whites came the asked our ancestors who they were and their response was Ndi-gboo. The white man had to memorise Igbo ibo
Re: Who Are The Ndigbo? -only For Real Intellectuals by PFRB: 10:16pm On May 01, 2019
The name is Igbo. Ibo is the English version of it.

(1) (Reply)

Borno Safer Than Abuja, Sokoto ,Kaduna and Other States Now...... Shettima / Oshiomhole Eating The Humble Pie / Presidency, APC Mount Pressure On Ali Ndume To Stand Down

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.