Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,057 members, 7,821,636 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:06 PM

CHOICES (A Short Story By Philips Afolayan) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / CHOICES (A Short Story By Philips Afolayan) (452 Views)

Choices: Another Perspective / Choices 2: Adeola's Dilemma (A Short Story By Philips Afolayan) / "No Pleasure For Dead Girls" A Story By Mancrimes.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

CHOICES (A Short Story By Philips Afolayan) by PhilipsAfolayan(m): 6:15pm On May 03, 2019
CHOICES (A short story)
By Philips Afolayan

She spilled her drink on the exquisite table linen again and for the umpteenth time, Tunde cleaned the stain with the table napkin.

“How about same time tomorrow?” he said, flashing his captivating white teeth.

“That won’t be possible.” She blurted out almost without thinking, her old guard drawn up again.

She glanced up as she dropped the glass with shaky fingers and couldn’t help being fascinated by the slight gap in his upper front teeth. Come to think of it, Adedeji, her ex-husband had the same dental feature. Her face creased in a frown at the realization.

Although, beneath the man’s niceties, she feels she could sense a tinge of sincerity. She couldn’t help feeling safe while with him but it is difficult for her forget what she has been through some years back. Oh God! Memories she couldn’t forget.

She quit her two-year marriage after discovering her husband was already married with a kid to someone else outside the country before they even met. Ever since then, she vowed never to be romantically involved with the male human species not even to the extent of contemplating a relationship. “And not even Mr. Nice over here can coerce me into quitting my resolve.” she scowled.

”I have a very busy day tomorrow,” She added coldly, “so we can’t see.”
She knew the lie was clear on her face. But she has to show nice guy here the red light before he starts imagining things. She had few chores to do and her actual plan was to make the next day her relaxation day. She could almost visualize herself lying on the sofa by the TV with a glass of wine, watching her favourite TV Series, Owo Ta Koko.
And if it wasn’t for the doctor’s advice that she should rest more often, she wouldn’t have dreamt of ever taking a vacation from her job.

Ever since she divorced Deji, the emotional trauma made her become a workaholic, seeking solace in her career. Her achievements over the years are a pointer to the fact that it was worth it. Just then his deep voice jolted her out of her reverie.

“Shola.”
She pretended not to have heard but a brief start gave her away. He must be thinking she has a short-term attention span, she mused. “I don’t mind him thinking that, as long it makes him stay away.” She smiled at the thought.

She drifted again. She always cherished those few moments, she craved the opportunity she has alone, to talk to herself, and do her favourite pastime which is crying. Although that had stopped recently. Ever since she met Tunde at a friend’s birthday she couldn’t help imagining how life would be with him but her old ghosts kept haunting her and she was scared of reciprocating his affection and attention.

He motioned out the window, “It’s sunny.”
“You said?” It took a while before she understood that he was referring to the weather.

She didn’t know she had delved out of reality again until his sing-song voice jolted her back to reality. “Perhaps I should drop you home” he said, flashing his teeth again.

“Thanks a bunch,” Her reply was rushed, “but I don’t want to inconvenience you. Moreover, you’ve tried enough for me”. She forced a smile, but it resulted into a grimace.

“Alright, if you say so.” He glanced outside. “But it isn’t inconvenience especially when it is a lovely lady like you.”

That damned smile again. Perhaps it is time for her to reconsider his offer.
“I need to leave now”. She stood up while he walked her to the door. Without looking back, she went straight to the driveway and drove off without responding to his farewell.

Tunde hissed in disgust just as her car left the restaurant’s parking lot. “Who does she think she is?”
“I have never taken more than a week to get any woman I want. But it’s been more than a month now that she has been leading me like a dog on a leash.” He thought. “And my friend disclosed to me that she is even a divorcee.”

Just then his phone rang. He flipped open the cover and picked it.
“Okay baby,” He smiled, “I’ll be with you in a moment.”

“There are many fishes in the river”. He said to himself as he went back into the restaurant to pick his car keys.

Written by PHILIPS AFOLAYAN (God’s Masterpiece)

Philips Afolayan is a passionate creative writer, content creator and inspirational speaker.

1 Share

(1) (Reply)

The Miserable Voice Of An Almajiri / The Unexpected By David Vera Sorochi (love N Romance) / I Just Published On Okadabooks And My Word Count Is Showing N/A What Should I Do

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.