Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,875 members, 7,813,980 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:16 PM

Woman Sentenced To Death For Killing Neighbour During Fight In Ajegunle - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Woman Sentenced To Death For Killing Neighbour During Fight In Ajegunle (33102 Views)

Man In Custody For Allegedly Killing Neighbour Over A Goat / Man Stabs Lover To Death In Broad Day Light In Ajegunle Lagos / Soldiers Beaten In Ajegunle, Lagos As Kola Mutiu 'Black Jesus' Dies. Graphic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Woman Sentenced To Death For Killing Neighbour During Fight In Ajegunle by etcsines: 5:46pm On May 07, 2019
@titiloyeblog.com

An Ikeja high court on Tuesday sentenced a 36-year-old woman, Stella Gilbert, to death for stabbing her neighbor, Mrs. Stella Godwin, to death during a fight at their residence in Ajegunle, Lagos.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the fight was over a bench in the premises of their single room apartments also known as ‘face’me-I-face you’.

The fight was caused by an argument over who should be using the bench belonging to their former neighbor.

Justice Raliatu Adebiyi sentenced Gilbert after dismissing her claim of self-defense.

The judge held that the prosecution proved its case beyond a reasonable doubt.

“The defendant, in this case, used a knife on the deceased; by any standard, a knife is a lethal weapon.

“The evidence of PW2 (Prosecution Witness 2), the cousin of PW1 (the deceased’s husband), and that of PW3, the female police officer, was that the deceased was stabbed on the chest.

“The coroner’s report tendered in evidence by PW4 confirmed that the deceased was stabbed on the chest.

“The chest is where the heart is; the defendant, by stabbing the deceased on the chest, a very fragile part of the body, clearly intended to cause the most harm to her.

“The death of the deceased occurred as a result of a grievous injury caused by the defendant. The defendant is culpable of the offense of murder,” she said.

The judge remarked that a lot of cases in courts were caused by animosity and violence due to individuals living in close proximity in the metropolis.

She said that the situation called for improvement in social housing in Lagos State.

She said: “From the evidence, the fight took place in a room; though no evidence was given about the size of the room, it could not have been a very large room.

“The evidence was that the deceased and the defendant lived in a house consisting of rooms occupied by families popularly called ‘face-me-I-face-you’.

“It is worrisome that the level of violence, unnecessary animosity and death, which occur among our citizens as a result of living together in close proximity without sufficient personal space and boundaries, remain unabated.

“There is clearly a need to improve social housing and living conditions.

“The court hopes that this message will be conveyed to the necessary authorities through prosecutors who have the responsibility to prosecute these cases and should be able to provide vital statistics,” she urged.

Following the conviction of the Gilbert, her counsel, Mr Y. E. Yusuf prayed the court to temper justice with mercy.

“The defendant has been in detention for six years; during that time, she lost both parents and her brother. She is in her late 30s and unmarried, she has gone through a lot.

“She was not harboring the intent to murder when the incident occurred.

“I want my lord to temper justice with mercy and refrain from giving the defendant the maximum sentence,” Yusuf urged.

However, the judge passed a death sentence on Gilbert.

“The defendant, Stella Gilbert, is hereby sentenced to death. May God that grants life have mercy on your soul,” she said.

On hearing the sentence, Gilbert collapsed on the dock. Wailing loudly, she said, “Please ma, temper justice with mercy, why me oh, only me…”

In her tears, she was led out of the courtroom and had to be carried by a mobile policeman and a prison warden out of the court complex to avoid disruption of proceedings in other courtrooms due to the commotion.

NAN reports that during the trial, four witnesses – the husband of the deceased, the brother-in-law of the deceased, the investigating police officer and the coroner – testified for the prosecution.

The defendant testified alone in her defense.

According to the state counsel, Mrs. O. R. Ahmed-Muili, the convict murdered Godwin, mother of three, on June 22, 2013, at No. 59, Ojora St., Ajegunle, Lagos.

The convict stabbed the deceased on the chest and arm with a knife during a fight.

NAN reports that murder contravenes Section 221 of the Criminal Law of Lagos 2011 and is punishable with death by hanging.

source: https://www.titiloyeblog.com/2019/05/woman-sentenced-to-death-for-killing.html

3 Likes

Re: Woman Sentenced To Death For Killing Neighbour During Fight In Ajegunle by MrBrownJay1(m): 5:49pm On May 07, 2019
An eye for an eye......

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Woman Sentenced To Death For Killing Neighbour During Fight In Ajegunle by Bizmagnet: 5:50pm On May 07, 2019
Anger can set a whole city on fire in a moment. Nothing as precious as having the ability to control your anger when it is triggered. Life is not worth taking too serious. RIP to the sentenced.

The beauty of every business is get in touch with people it was designed to reach.
Wait no longer, get your blog/website/software today at affordable price. Get my contacts from my signature.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Woman Sentenced To Death For Killing Neighbour During Fight In Ajegunle by matify83: 5:50pm On May 07, 2019
See what an unrestrained fit of rage has caused her?

She will rot in jail awaiting the signing of her death warrant by the government.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Woman Sentenced To Death For Killing Neighbour During Fight In Ajegunle by IamD18: 5:55pm On May 07, 2019
Nice one I must say. Such penalty should also be given to these careless policemen that keep shooting and killing the innocent in this country.

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Woman Sentenced To Death For Killing Neighbour During Fight In Ajegunle by iTearHerToto: 5:59pm On May 07, 2019
Their quest for blood is abysmalangry

17 Likes

Re: Woman Sentenced To Death For Killing Neighbour During Fight In Ajegunle by hahn(m): 5:59pm On May 07, 2019
IamD18:
Nice one I must say. Such penalty should also be given to these careless policemen that keep shooting and killing the innocent in this country.

For real, I am yet to read any news about any convicted police officer undecided

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Woman Sentenced To Death For Killing Neighbour During Fight In Ajegunle by wingmanII: 6:31pm On May 07, 2019
Nothing to show it was premeditated murder.
Crime of passion. This is manslaughter, maybe life imprisonment. All these quota/sharia judges

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Woman Sentenced To Death For Killing Neighbour During Fight In Ajegunle by FhukaFhuka: 6:41pm On May 07, 2019
sad
Re: Woman Sentenced To Death For Killing Neighbour During Fight In Ajegunle by akum78: 6:42pm On May 07, 2019
cry cry
Re: Woman Sentenced To Death For Killing Neighbour During Fight In Ajegunle by AmazingELixir: 6:42pm On May 07, 2019
undecided

Guess she'll be sober now.....a sharp departure from her aggressive posture during the fight.

The only thing in her head right now will be..." if only I had heeded to baba Kunle attempt at brokering peace"..

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Woman Sentenced To Death For Killing Neighbour During Fight In Ajegunle by shadeyinka(m): 6:43pm On May 07, 2019
See where uncontrollable anger has lead you? Now you are wailing like the judgement was an injustice. It wasn't your first time of terrorising people with knives and broken bottle, forming area girl.
Blame yourself!

And after they have sentenced her to death are you happy?
are you now satisfied? Justice should be served, but must you go for : an eye for an eye?

1 Like

Re: Woman Sentenced To Death For Killing Neighbour During Fight In Ajegunle by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:43pm On May 07, 2019
This is what anger and bitterness can lead you to.

Thou shall not kill!

If you kill, you will die also.

For all the bitter souls out there....BE GUIDED and learn from this!!

Chikena!!

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Woman Sentenced To Death For Killing Neighbour During Fight In Ajegunle by Nobody: 6:44pm On May 07, 2019
wingmanII:
Nothing to show it was premeditated murder.
Crime of passion. This is manslaughter, maybe life imprisonment. All these quota/sharia judges
more like womanslaughter

3 Likes

Re: Woman Sentenced To Death For Killing Neighbour During Fight In Ajegunle by OgogoroFreak(m): 6:44pm On May 07, 2019
See as them carry her like dirty to go kill her troway grin

1 Like

Re: Woman Sentenced To Death For Killing Neighbour During Fight In Ajegunle by DearIsrael: 6:44pm On May 07, 2019
Women have issues when it comes to controlling their anger. You stab finish, you no fit bear the consequence. FISH BRAIN!! undecided
When we say they have fish brain, they'll say we hate them. Tonto, if you can read this: You also have a FISH BRAIN.

PS: See the face of the first policeman. He no even care.

15 Likes

Re: Woman Sentenced To Death For Killing Neighbour During Fight In Ajegunle by obojememe: 6:45pm On May 07, 2019
quiet sad
Re: Woman Sentenced To Death For Killing Neighbour During Fight In Ajegunle by Praisesongz: 6:45pm On May 07, 2019
I’m crying right now

1 Like

Re: Woman Sentenced To Death For Killing Neighbour During Fight In Ajegunle by Topmaike007(m): 6:45pm On May 07, 2019
They're even name sake

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Woman Sentenced To Death For Killing Neighbour During Fight In Ajegunle by BlueAir: 6:45pm On May 07, 2019
Six years in detention and she gets the death sentence... What kinda quack judge is this...she could be given a longer sentence especially as her self defence claim can't be easily disputed factually even if the claim might be a lie. That judge only wanted to make a scapegoat out of her

3 Likes

Re: Woman Sentenced To Death For Killing Neighbour During Fight In Ajegunle by EmekaBlue(m): 6:46pm On May 07, 2019
she is not ready to die na...y r they carrying her

same useless courts that cant punish politicians...The law is for d poor

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Woman Sentenced To Death For Killing Neighbour During Fight In Ajegunle by VivaLaFrans: 6:48pm On May 07, 2019
Ah... I wished she could be forgiven... Its not easy executing women... You will cry even as the executioner... See the facial expression of the policeman on the left of that picture, like he is without sin...

5 Likes

Re: Woman Sentenced To Death For Killing Neighbour During Fight In Ajegunle by OgbanjeProphet: 6:48pm On May 07, 2019
Rest in peace in advance.

2 Likes

Re: Woman Sentenced To Death For Killing Neighbour During Fight In Ajegunle by kaen1317: 6:48pm On May 07, 2019
Nigeria, a story of woes
Re: Woman Sentenced To Death For Killing Neighbour During Fight In Ajegunle by anambraamaka: 6:48pm On May 07, 2019
Woah
Re: Woman Sentenced To Death For Killing Neighbour During Fight In Ajegunle by Nobody: 6:50pm On May 07, 2019
Stupidity in its highest form.

Over a motherfvcking Bench!

3 Likes

Re: Woman Sentenced To Death For Killing Neighbour During Fight In Ajegunle by bitmoney: 6:51pm On May 07, 2019
They will meet again and continue the fight

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Four Suspected Cultists Arrested In Ogun During Supremacy Battle (Photo) / Armed Robbers Set Vehicle Ablaze After Operation Along Sagamu Benin Highway.PICS / Air Force Officer Fights A Policeman Who Tried Extorting Bike Rider

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.