Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,741 members, 7,817,049 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:59 AM

Things About Nigeria That Make You Cringe! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Things About Nigeria That Make You Cringe! (8337 Views)

List Of Multinationals In Nigeria That Are Crashing Under Buhari - By Ikengawo / Five Top Fastest Developing States In Nigeria That Are Undisputable / The Poltical-economic Stuctures That Make Igboland The Emerging African Paradise (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Things About Nigeria That Make You Cringe! by Sagamite(m): 9:45am On Sep 22, 2010
Say the things about Nigeria that you find so embarassing and makes you cringe.

For me, the ones that come to mind at the moment are:

1) Calling ourselves, with such boastfulness, "Giant of Africa"

2) Our "under"-age football national teams

3) Alao "Alamala-politics" Akala
Re: Things About Nigeria That Make You Cringe! by Mudley313: 11:25am On Sep 22, 2010
1. 419 (world wide renowned reputation of fraud and fraudsters)

2. Corruption (abnormally unprecedented--almost legal--corrupt practices in all spheres of life e.g politics, elections, police, soldier, student examinations etc)

3. Abject poverty in the midst of plenty

4. Overt religiosity
Re: Things About Nigeria That Make You Cringe! by Nobody: 12:10pm On Sep 22, 2010
1.yahoo yahoo
2. kidnappers
3. bloody election campaign
Re: Things About Nigeria That Make You Cringe! by Nobody: 12:12pm On Sep 22, 2010
More reasons i feel like flying out of this hell!
Re: Things About Nigeria That Make You Cringe! by madchen(f): 12:16pm On Sep 22, 2010
Our pretentious nature
Our belief that money is the answer to everything (that basically goes to the root of all of our problems)
Our religious fanaticism
Our hypocrisy. So quick to judge!!!

I'm sure there's more , will post when it comes to mind
Re: Things About Nigeria That Make You Cringe! by denony(m): 12:19pm On Sep 22, 2010
Police intimidation - Intimidate and harrass people unnecessarily
PHCN intimidation - load of bill without light
Politicians game - money greedy hungry fools
Re: Things About Nigeria That Make You Cringe! by madchen(f): 12:21pm On Sep 22, 2010
Disgusting customer service wherever you go!
Judging a woman married to a Caucasian, and assuming she is a prostitute that wants to use the man, or get out of the country
Stupid mentality that an older person is always right, when they are clearly WRONG
Re: Things About Nigeria That Make You Cringe! by blackcat1: 12:31pm On Sep 22, 2010
1.Nigerians
2. Nigerians
3. Nigerians
Re: Things About Nigeria That Make You Cringe! by nanidee(f): 12:31pm On Sep 22, 2010
Mudley313:

1. 419 (world wide renowned reputation of fraud and fraudsters)

2. Corruption (abnormally unprecedented--almost legal--corrupt practices in all spheres of life e.g politics, elections, police, soldier, student examinations etc)

3. Abject poverty in the midst of plenty

4. Overt religiosity

on point

denony:

Police intimidation - Intimidate and harrass people unnecessarily
PHCN intimidation - load of bill without light
Politicians game - money greedy hungry fools

exactly

mädchen:

Disgusting customer service wherever you go!
Judging a woman married to a Caucasian, and assuming she is a love-peddler that wants to use the man, or get out of the country
silly mentality that an older person is always right, when they are clearly WRONG

grin grin grin grin
Re: Things About Nigeria That Make You Cringe! by Nobody: 12:37pm On Sep 22, 2010
Bad leadership
bad governamce
cries of secession
complaints
IBB
IBB
IBB
Re: Things About Nigeria That Make You Cringe! by madchen(f): 12:47pm On Sep 22, 2010
Closed-mindedness of most people! Not willing to open their minds to new or different things.

All I have to do is read some posts on Nairaland and I have more things to write about what makes me cringe about my people.

Just browsing posts here, and I saw one from last year, where a person was peddling Bulgarian passport for sale! How wasn't that post shut down immediately. What does that say about us as a people, especially on a website called Nairaland. *sigh*
Re: Things About Nigeria That Make You Cringe! by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 12:55pm On Sep 22, 2010
1: Self-avowed Passive-Optimists who are addicted to optimisim in the face of bleak, stone-crushing evidence that they should be Active-Optimists
2: Arm-chair Activists who can only blow-hot on Nairaland and other blogs but never in public
3: Nigerians afflicted with debilitating illiteracy and a complete lack of ability to THINK
4: Armed-Forces who love to kick civilian balls
5: 16yr olds hitting on you in Night-Clubs
6: Sugar Mummies who carry JazZ
Re: Things About Nigeria That Make You Cringe! by djayxpro: 12:56pm On Sep 22, 2010
the socio-economic system we run- CAPITALISM
Re: Things About Nigeria That Make You Cringe! by ollybosieb: 12:58pm On Sep 22, 2010
so many things,  just to mention few

Yoruba people that don't allow their kids to speak yoruba again.

government repairing the roads only when their so call important personalities are coming to town.

public school teachers sending students to market during the school hrs

bank workers thinking they are doing you favour  by banking with them

and technicians ripping you off all the time
Re: Things About Nigeria That Make You Cringe! by Youngichou(m): 1:02pm On Sep 22, 2010
Nothing! not even a bad word about Nigeria makes me cringe.
Because 90% of nigerians are
thiefs
robbers
criminals
terrorist
lunatics and many many,
@poster your country football team is dead am gone so stop been bothered because NIGERIA is DEAD AND GONE.
Re: Things About Nigeria That Make You Cringe! by jaybee3(m): 1:04pm On Sep 22, 2010
Believing religion solves all problems SMH & KMT
Re: Things About Nigeria That Make You Cringe! by Gamine(f): 1:05pm On Sep 22, 2010
This is exactly one of such things,

Too much talk and complaints, NO action.
C'mon!
Re: Things About Nigeria That Make You Cringe! by Nobody: 1:07pm On Sep 22, 2010
lagerwhenindoubt:

1: Self-avowed Passive-Optimists who are addicted to optimisim in the face of bleak, stone-crushing evidence that they should be Active-Optimists
2: Arm-chair Activists who can only blow-hot on Nairaland and other blogs but never in public
3: Nigerians afflicted with debilitating illiteracy and a complete lack of ability to THINK
4: Armed-Forces who love to kick civilian balls
5: 16yr olds hitting on you in Night-Clubs
6: Sugar Mummies who carry JazZ
I like your second observation.some don't even know their ward councillor.
Re: Things About Nigeria That Make You Cringe! by asunaobi(m): 1:16pm On Sep 22, 2010
1. Thinking that we know ( by laying more emphasis on how we speak and interpret english language), why in the real sense we know nothing.

2. The inability of Nigeria of over 150 million people to produce a transformational world class leader.

3. The same group of crooks who were leaders when I was running around naked as a child are still clustering around to rule Nigeria again.
Re: Things About Nigeria That Make You Cringe! by Youngichou(m): 1:22pm On Sep 22, 2010
Gamine:

This is exactly one of such things,

Too much talk and complaints, NO action.
C'mon!
thats your country for you.
If not am Deltanan ,
Re: Things About Nigeria That Make You Cringe! by kulutempa: 1:23pm On Sep 22, 2010
The cowardice and hypocrisy of the average Nigerian.   A politician steals money meant for schools, hospitals and roads, and we pray to God to remove him from office instead of making life unbearable for him and stoning him in public.  We complain about corruption but we give bribes to the messenger and the PA when we want to see the Oga and lobby for contracts, the day after night vigil and prayer and fasting.  We don't want corrupt politicians, but when someone like Nuhu Ribadu declares that he wants to contest, we say that he is too young and lacks experience.   We want the country to change for the better but we don't like change and innovation.  Fellow Nigerians,  we are the world's greatest jokers.
Re: Things About Nigeria That Make You Cringe! by ElRazur: 1:23pm On Sep 22, 2010
The parasitic mentality.

The chaos of everyday life that is like an uglier version of rat race.

The unwillingness to get the push to change.

undecided
Re: Things About Nigeria That Make You Cringe! by Spyker: 1:25pm On Sep 22, 2010
The latest one the pisses me off if "zoning, zoning, zoning" amidst a thousand important issues to discuss like power generation, unemployment, security, poor educational system e.t.c.
Re: Things About Nigeria That Make You Cringe! by chamber2(m): 1:26pm On Sep 22, 2010
Will I read all these things about naija and still be here?? shocked shocked shocked Pls am leaving now,somebody should pls tell d canadian embassy to approve my visa fast undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Things About Nigeria That Make You Cringe! by Nobody: 1:35pm On Sep 22, 2010
The government thinking the country is their personal playground!

The rich thinking they are more important cos the's got the cash!

The lawlessness!

The useless police force!

The hospitals that kill instead of treat angry angry
Re: Things About Nigeria That Make You Cringe! by MaziUche0(m): 1:35pm On Sep 22, 2010
1. How Nigerians praise looters

2. The horrible roads

3. Kidnapping

4. This sugar daddy phenomenon that occurs at the universities. (Do these old men have any shame?)

4. Nigerian women who think white is right and wh0re themselves to the white man. (Makes me angry)
Re: Things About Nigeria That Make You Cringe! by tshepiso(f): 1:36pm On Sep 22, 2010
stop looking at the problems and find solutions!it starts with an individual what have you done in you community to make a change??
Re: Things About Nigeria That Make You Cringe! by GboyegaD(m): 1:42pm On Sep 22, 2010
The things I hate the most are "Religious Extremism" yet we are very very wicked at heart and also, our "pretense" in the face of truth.
Re: Things About Nigeria That Make You Cringe! by Nobody: 1:45pm On Sep 22, 2010
NEPA!!!! angry

I cannot get over this one. Never ever. It makes me sick. angry
Re: Things About Nigeria That Make You Cringe! by chyz(m): 1:47pm On Sep 22, 2010
IT'S EXISTENCE AS A COUNTRY
Re: Things About Nigeria That Make You Cringe! by kokoye(m): 1:49pm On Sep 22, 2010
If you do not live in Nigeria at the moment, I will advice you to reserve your comments and just observe. . . for your own good.

Or else this thread will quickly turn into a war of insults.

just my two cents.
Re: Things About Nigeria That Make You Cringe! by Moves: 1:51pm On Sep 22, 2010
NOTHING, Because as a nigerian we just get on with IT,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Okorocha Signs N20,000 Minimum Wage For Imo Workers / How Nigeria Can Become Solar Super Power. / Enugu Govt. Bans Operations Of IPMAN's State Chapter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.