Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,725 members, 7,816,979 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:03 PM

How To Tell Difference Between Hausa And Fulani People - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How To Tell Difference Between Hausa And Fulani People (6786 Views)

Pre-Wedding Photos Of Aminu Sanusi And Fulani Zainab Ali Bashir / Ibo, Hausa And Yoruba Are Not Indegenous Africans / Difference Between Hausa And Fulani Turban (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Tell Difference Between Hausa And Fulani People by NSNA: 7:31am On May 12, 2019
For the experts in the house

Hausa-Fulani is a common term in Nigeria so much so that people from other regions hardly know the difference

It is said that in Kano Hausa people are happy about the splitting of the Emir position into 4 while the Fulanis are not

So how can you tell the difference physically between Hausa and Fulani

Are this people Hausa or Fulani

Dangote
Buhari
Sanusi
Babangida

1 Like

Re: How To Tell Difference Between Hausa And Fulani People by 2metrelaurie(m): 7:47am On May 12, 2019
Babangida and dangote are hausa while bubu and sanusi are beHeadsMen

2 Likes

Re: How To Tell Difference Between Hausa And Fulani People by BuhariAdvocate: 7:48am On May 12, 2019
Re: How To Tell Difference Between Hausa And Fulani People by NSNA: 9:34am On May 12, 2019
2metrelaurie:
Babangida and dangote are hausa while bubu and sanusi are beHeadsMen

How did you come to that conclusion.

Is it the name or physical appearance
Re: How To Tell Difference Between Hausa And Fulani People by RedboneSmith(m): 10:00am On May 12, 2019
Dude, you ended up saying nothing about what you set out to say. undecided

3 Likes

Re: How To Tell Difference Between Hausa And Fulani People by 2metrelaurie(m): 12:17pm On May 12, 2019
NSNA:

Name , appearance and identity
Re: How To Tell Difference Between Hausa And Fulani People by Nobody: 2:07pm On May 12, 2019
NSNA:

Hausa-Fulani is a common term in Nigeria so much so that people from other regions hardly know the difference

It is said that in Kano Hausa people are happy about the splitting of the Emir position into 4 while the Fulanis are not

Dangote
Buhari
Sanusi
Babangida

It is said by who? Southerners living hundreds of miles away? Northwesterners especially kanoans arent divided by such ethnic barriers. Kanoans in general arent happy period.
Re: How To Tell Difference Between Hausa And Fulani People by Nobody: 2:08pm On May 12, 2019
Sanusi is Fulani.

Buhari has a fulani father and a hausa mother. This and vice versa is very common in the northwest.

Dangote is Hausa, grandson of Hausa business man and one of the richest African men of the 20th century, dantata.

Babangida claims a hausa lineage from Kano.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Tell Difference Between Hausa And Fulani People by OruExpress: 5:15pm On May 12, 2019
The difference between the two are stark and obvious. If you can tell the different between a yoruba and an Igbo people, which is by comparison subtle, you should be able to tell the difference between Hausa and Fulani

Also, Babangida is a from a minority tribe in Niger state.

1 Like

Re: How To Tell Difference Between Hausa And Fulani People by Nobody: 5:21pm On May 12, 2019
OruExpress:
The difference between the two are stark and obvious.[b][/b] If you can tell the different between a yoruba and an Igbo people, which is by comparison subtle, you should be able to tell the difference between Hausa and Fulani

Also, Babangida is a from a minority tribe in Niger state.

Nope, not in the north west and certainly not in kano. The only way to tell beyond any shadow of doubt is the few fulas or hausas without any admixture.

Babangida claims his father is a hausa man from kano state.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Tell Difference Between Hausa And Fulani People by OruExpress: 5:34pm On May 12, 2019
KarnThornheart:

Nope, not in the north west and certainly not in kano. The only way to tell beyond any shadow of doubt is the few fulas or hausas without any admixture.

Babangida claims his father is a hausa man from kano state.
Babangida is Gwari

That's not true. It think a lot of people claim admixture for social advantage. Again, physically, genetically and even culturally, there couldn't be two more different tribes in Africa. Also, a lot oh Hausa speaking people aren't ethnically Hausa so the identity 'hausa' has been an admixture for a while, but still very distinct from Fulani. I also think fulanis exaggerate the level of admixture publicly, and pride themselves of 'purity' privately for social/political advantage. Both groups abandoning their culture for islam also confuses things.

Only southern Nigerians can't tell, but the difference is stark.
It's only in the past 6 years that southern Nigerians even realized there was a tribe called Fulani and the people with the cows aren't 'hausa'

2 Likes

Re: How To Tell Difference Between Hausa And Fulani People by Nobody: 6:04pm On May 12, 2019
OruExpress:

Babangida is Gwari

That's not true. It think a lot of people claim admixture for social advantage. Again, physically, genetically and even culturally, there couldn't be two more different tribes in Africa. Also, a lot oh Hausa speaking people aren't ethnically Hausa so the identity 'hausa' has been an admixture for a while, but still very distinct from Fulani. I also think fulanis exaggerate the level of admixture publicly, and pride themselves of 'purity' privately for social/political advantage. Both groups abandoning their culture for islam also confuses things.

Only southern Nigerians can't tell, but the difference is stark.
It's only in the past 6 years that southern Nigerians even realized there was a tribe called Fulani and the people with the cows aren't 'hausa'

According to babangida if you read his book will tell you his father is from kano and is a hausa man. I used to think hes gwari too but apparently him and abdulsalam both claim they're hausas from kano.

You're right about genetics and linguistics but culturally sahelian ethnicities have similar cultures from hausas to fulanis to songhais to tuaregs. It is this culture that has allowed these glaringly different ethnic groups to assimilate anywhere you find them from Niger to sudan and all over the hajj route, anywhere you find hausa communities you tend to find fulanis living side by side with them. I dont know where you people get this misconception that northerners have lost their culture thats a straight up lie. From language to architecture to clothing to way of life bar certain religious restrictions northern nigerian culture is extremely unique from what you'll find in traditional islamic countries bar other sahelian countries.

You dont understand the northwest, we dont classify people as hausa or fulani here and almost everyone you meet will tell you hes hausa. The north west classifies based on state, like bakano, bakatsine, basakkwace, etc. Claiming hausa or fulani will offer you no advantage in the north west. You also contradict yourself, you claim blatant differences yet you claim admixture as well. Again in the northwest granted hausa speaking people are not all hausa but how do you differentiate between hausa speaking hausas and hausa speaking non hausas especially since these people have been living together for at least six centuries? The north east is a different case and is more geared toward ethnic bias. The only instance you see of someone calling another person fulani in the northwest is mostly people from the north east and its usually their accent that gives them away. I have friends i grew up who till this day i dont know if they're hausa or fulani because it really doesnt even matter.

Back to his topic, there is no way hausas or fulanis have different interests to the extent that we as a people will support different agendas based on ethnicity. I have never met a hausa man with a grudge against fulanis and vice versa so all these narratives are being conjured up by people with no inside look as to whats going on here. Kanoans/kanawas in general are against this move because it pisses on a prestigious 1000 year old seat that has preceded gandujes ancestors. Kano has the richest culture and history of all nigerian states and its disturbing to see a man willing to go to these lengths to settle a personal vendetta by soiling that history and everything that makes that emirate unique.

2 Likes

Re: How To Tell Difference Between Hausa And Fulani People by OruExpress: 11:07pm On May 12, 2019
KarnThornheart:

According to babangida if you read his book will tell you his father is from kano and is a hausa man. I used to think hes gwari too but apparently him and abdulsalam both claim they're hausas from kano.

You're right about genetics and linguistics but culturally sahelian ethnicities have similar cultures from hausas to fulanis to songhais to tuaregs. It is this culture that has allowed these glaringly different ethnic groups to assimilate anywhere you find them from Niger to sudan and all over the hajj route, anywhere you find hausa communities you tend to find fulanis living side by side with them. I dont know where you people get this misconception that northerners have lost their culture thats a straight up lie. From language to architecture to clothing to way of life bar certain religious restrictions northern nigerian culture is extremely unique from what you'll find in traditional islamic countries bar other sahelian countries.

You dont understand the northwest, we dont classify people as hausa or fulani here and almost everyone you meet will tell you hes hausa. The north west classifies based on state, like bakano, bakatsine, basakkwace, etc. Claiming hausa or fulani will offer you no advantage in the north west. You also contradict yourself, you claim blatant differences yet you claim admixture as well. Again in the northwest granted hausa speaking people are not all hausa but how do you differentiate between hausa speaking hausas and hausa speaking non hausas especially since these people have been living together for at least six centuries? The north east is a different case and is more geared toward ethnic bias.

Back to his topic, there is no way hausas or fulanis have different interests to the extent that we as a people will support different agendas based on ethnicity. I have never met a hausa man with a grudge against fulanis and vice versa so all these narratives are being conjured up by people with no inside look as to whats going on here. Kanoans/kanawas in general are against this move because it pisses on a prestigious 1000 year old seat that has preceded gandujes ancestors. Kano has the richest culture and history of all nigerian states and its disturbing to see a man willing to go to these lengths to settle a personal vendetta by soiling that history and everything that makes that emirate unique.

Sahelian cultures are not 'similar' they've just been blotted out by islam, but Islam has been there long enough for them to think islam is their 'culture' when it's their 'religion. Culturally, the similarities are vast as is displayed by the level of diversity in northern nigeria which far exceeds southern Nigeria's.

From your perspective, I can tell you're Fulani and I don't think there are that many Hausa posters are on here, but the post isn't about a 'grudge' or a 'feud'. I said there's a linguistic, anatomical, genetic, and cultural difference between Hausa and Fulani and you interjected the idea that we're discussing a feud. There's no feud between Yoruba and Igbo people on a person to person basis. Outside of this form, it doesn't even exist politically or in a group setting. Most Nigerians have no feuds with anyone based on ethnicity. Everyone has friends from different ethnic groups, live side by side with them etc. So again, I don't know why you brought up a 'feud', maybe you can explain it to me.

Most Northerners/Sahelians have lost their culture, especially in islamic places. It's only an African that will tell you his traditional name is Yusef Ahmed. Or better yet Yusefu Adamdu. It's not disrespect, just facts. Even the architecture is islamic, as is everything else you cited. I was on facebook and there was a video of a fulani whipping ceremony where they whipped men before marriage. Can you believe that many of the comments were Fulani muslims saying 'this isn't out culture' and demanding the BBC take the video down?

Hausas have a different agenda than Fulanis. Hausas aren't pushing for cattle ranches, or getting into shoot outs with villagers over cattle etc. You can say that there's nobody prominent speaking for whatever the Hausa interest is, and I can believe that, but Fulanis are in a unique and singular political disposition in Nigeria which makes their interests unique to them.

5 Likes

Re: How To Tell Difference Between Hausa And Fulani People by OruExpress: 11:11pm On May 12, 2019
The same exists in the south. Much of what we call Igbo or Yoruba culture is from Europe or christianity, but i feel it's further entrenched in the Sahel from the fact that islam has been around long enough for all else to vanish from memory.

I don't think the seat in Kano was desecrated. To my knowledge, and I could be wrong, the annexing of the different kingdoms in Kano was a recent event that came with Dan Fodio's people, which was only 120 years ago. That's hardly 'tradition' or anything 'ancestral'. 120 years ago my great grandfather flew on a plane. I can't claim that airplanes are a part of my culture.

I would defintely like a different perspective but I've noticed Fulanis feel more inclined to 'speak for' 'the north', so while you're saying people are angry, there's no signs of resistance from outside of Sanusi's family and a few obviously fulani people on twitter.

2 Likes

Re: How To Tell Difference Between Hausa And Fulani People by Nobody: 1:14am On May 13, 2019
OruExpress:

Sahelian cultures are not 'similar' they've just been blotted out by islam, but Islam has been there long enough for them to think islam is their 'culture' when it's their 'religion. Culturally, the similarities are vast as is displayed by the level of diversity in northern nigeria which far exceeds southern Nigeria's.
What exactly constitutes culture to you and what aspect of sahelian culture do you consider as islamic other than what is mandatory?

From your perspective, I can tell you're Fulani and I don't think there are that many Hausa posters are on here, but the post isn't about a 'grudge' or a 'feud'. I said there's a linguistic, anatomical, genetic, and cultural difference between Hausa and Fulani and you interjected the idea that we're discussing a feud. There's no feud between Yoruba and Igbo people on a person to person basis. Outside of this form, it doesn't even exist politically or in a group setting. Most Nigerians have no feuds with anyone based on ethnicity. Everyone has friends from different ethnic groups, live side by side with them etc. So again, I don't know why you brought up a 'feud', maybe you can explain it to me.
On the contrary there are a lot of hausa posters here, myself included. You stipulated that being of one or other ethnic group or gives you an advantage and i told you especially here in kano that is false. Your family is your family and thats what determines which doors are opened to you. The most prominent business men and business families here are hausa. But no hausa will give another hausa person preferential treatment here just because hes hausa, same goes for fulanis. But this hausa person will however give you extra consideration if you are for instance a bakano like him but fulani ahead of a hausa but bakastine or basakwacce and vice versa. State identity is ahead of ethnic identity here because the lines of ethnic identity are too blurry.

Most Northerners/Sahelians have lost their culture, especially in islamic places. It's only an African that will tell you his traditional name is Yusef Ahmed. Or better yet Yusefu Adamdu. It's not disrespect, just facts. Even the architecture is islamic, as is everything else you cited. I was on facebook and there was a video of a fulani whipping ceremony where they whipped men before marriage. Can you believe that many of the comments were Fulani muslims saying 'this isn't out culture' and demanding the BBC take the video down?
Again what constitutes culture to you? Northern nigerian architecture also known as tubali is very different from islamic (if there is such a thing) or middle eastern agriculture. Tubali is a branch of sudano sahelian architecture.

As for the whipping, like i said, bar aspects that have been constrained as being forbidden by islam, every other aspect of northern nigerian culture is unique. From durbar to festivals to marriage rites. I wonder what aspect of culture you think has been lost, Though this has been modified its significantly different from what you find in the middle east. The way we eat greet, our organization structure, everything else is different. To say that its lost is an audacious overstatement.

Hausas have a different agenda than Fulanis. Hausas aren't pushing for cattle ranches, or getting into shoot outs with villagers over cattle etc. You can say that there's nobody prominent speaking for whatever the Hausa interest is, and I can believe that, but Fulanis are in a unique and singular political disposition in Nigeria which makes their interests unique to them.
I strongly disagree. These fulanis especially the kanawas hes referring to can barely identify with say a north eastern fulani man. I told you our agendas especially in the north west are intertwined. As far as i know every northerner i've met supports ranching even if it means restricting it to northern states. If you are talking about miyetti Allah then these people are significantly different as the average fulani man you find in the north west. Like i said they really dont give a damn about fulani culture cause very few even indemnify as fulanis.

1 Like

Re: How To Tell Difference Between Hausa And Fulani People by Nobody: 1:23am On May 13, 2019
OruExpress:
The same exists in the south. Much of what we call Igbo or Yoruba culture is from Europe or christianity, but i feel it's further entrenched in the Sahel from the fact that islam has been around long enough for all else to vanish from memory.

I don't think the seat in Kano was desecrated. To my knowledge, and I could be wrong, the annexing of the different kingdoms in Kano was a recent event that came with Dan Fodio's people, which was only 120 years ago. That's hardly 'tradition' or anything 'ancestral'. 120 years ago my great grandfather flew on a plane. I can't claim that airplanes are a part of my culture.

I would defintely like a different perspective but I've noticed Fulanis feel more inclined to 'speak for' 'the north', so while you're saying people are angry, there's no signs of resistance from outside of Sanusi's family and a few obviously fulani people on twitter.

As for igbo and yoruba culture i cant speak to that but looking from the outside i think your cultures, especially that of the yoruba is still very much alive bar of course what has been forbidden by christianity which doesnt take up every aspect of your cultures.

Multiple towns have existed under kano for a very long time. Gaya and Rano especially amongst the new emirates are very old towns named after some of the original settlers of kano state. But with the influx of the first set of foreign rulers at around 1000 A.D who presided above the indigenous kanoans, these foreigners were able to unite these towns under one kanoan ruler. So mind you the fulanis arent the first foreign rulers of kano, the people they met at the helm of affairs were also foreigners.

Well based on what i've seen kanoans speak with a single voice, hausa or fulani, most of the people i know are against this. You are a victim of selection bias, you tend to focus more on what fulanis say especially with the current sensitive polity of the nation.
Re: How To Tell Difference Between Hausa And Fulani People by Nobody: 9:13pm On May 15, 2019
KarnThornheart:
Sanusi is Fulani.

Buhari has a fulani father and a hausa mother. This and vice versa is very common in the northwest.

Dangote is Hausa, grandson of Hausa business man and one of the richest African men of the 20th century, dantata.

Babangida claims a hausa lineage from Kano.
bubu mother was kanuri
Re: How To Tell Difference Between Hausa And Fulani People by OruExpress: 12:35am On May 17, 2019
KarnThornheart:

What exactly constitutes culture to you and what aspect of sahelian culture do you consider as islamic other than what is mandatory?

On the contrary there are a lot of hausa posters here, myself included. You stipulated that being of one or other ethnic group or gives you an advantage and i told you especially here in kano that is false. Your family is your family and thats what determines which doors are opened to you. The most prominent business men and business families here are hausa. But no hausa will give another hausa person preferential treatment here just because hes hausa, same goes for fulanis. But this hausa person will however give you extra consideration if you are for instance a bakano like him but fulani ahead of a hausa but bakastine or basakwacce and vice versa. State identity is ahead of ethnic identity here because the lines of ethnic identity are too blurry.

Again what constitutes culture to you? Northern nigerian architecture also known as tubali is very different from islamic (if there is such a thing) or middle eastern agriculture. Tubali is a branch of sudano sahelian architecture.

As for the whipping, like i said, bar aspects that have been constrained as being forbidden by islam, every other aspect of northern nigerian culture is unique. From durbar to festivals to marriage rites. I wonder what aspect of culture you think has been lost, Though this has been modified its significantly different from what you find in the middle east. The way we eat greet, our organization structure, everything else is different. To say that its lost is an audacious overstatement.

I strongly disagree. These fulanis especially the kanawas hes referring to can barely identify with say a north eastern fulani man. I told you our agendas especially in the north west are intertwined. As far as i know every northerner i've met supports ranching even if it means restricting it to northern states. If you are talking about miyetti Allah then these people are significantly different as the average fulani man you find in the north west. Like i said they really dont give a damn about fulani culture cause very few even indemnify as fulanis.

Again, Islam has been a colonizing presence in the Sahel for so long that people there believe their culture is actually the islamic/arabic traditions that replaced their cultures. Example: Durbar.

Durbar is a Persian term for Meeting of Rulers. Nobles and rulers gather to discuss affairs and show solidarity/loyalty. The Hausa durbar is men in antiquated middle eastern attire having a meeting of rulers and showing solidarity to the Sultanate/Emirate system. Sultanate and Emirate are not Hausa words. I dated a muslim african girl from the sahel who's father was upset that his kids didn't know their culture because they couldn't speak arabic and didn't go to mosque.

Also, saying that the dynamic between Hausa and Fulani has no role in northern socio-economics means you either don't read history and current affairs or you're deliberately trying to give me an alternative narrative to reality. I think that front isn't work going any further because you won't go anywhere.

3 Likes

Re: How To Tell Difference Between Hausa And Fulani People by OruExpress: 1:08am On May 17, 2019
You did say something very interesting about bar the whipping which is outlawed in islam.
There is no aspect of Fulani culture that is unislamic. Unless it's things that are universal to all people like charity, community, family etc.

Anything that's specifically Fulani is also specifically unislamic. We as Africans become poor custodians of history because we spend the present trying to be both our religion and our ethnicity, and it's impossible. Even in southern Nigeria, the idea of being any ethnicity and Christian at the same time is very silly and that's why all over Nigeria ethnicity means nothing outside of something to argue about. It has even become hard for Africans to tell their history outside of it's relationship to Islam and Christianity.

I know Fulani customs very from group to group but those that are marginally or completely un-islamic exhibit a culture that in all reality, is unislamic. Tattoos, whippings, lax rules about sex, unislamic food prep, worship of a God other than Allah, attire for men and women which often involves relative nudity etc.

Re: How To Tell Difference Between Hausa And Fulani People by DeejaywonDJ1(m): 9:26am On May 17, 2019
Interesting!
Re: How To Tell Difference Between Hausa And Fulani People by labani06(m): 3:16pm On May 19, 2019
NSNA:

he's right dangote and IBB Are Hausa men
Re: How To Tell Difference Between Hausa And Fulani People by labani06(m): 3:44pm On May 19, 2019
OruExpress:

Again, Islam has been a colonizing presence in the Sahel for so long that people there believe their culture is actually the islamic/arabic traditions that replaced their cultures. Example: Durbar.

Durbar is a Persian term for Meeting of Rulers. Nobles and rulers gather to discuss affairs and show solidarity/loyalty. The Hausa durbar is men in antiquated middle eastern attire having a meeting of rulers and showing solidarity to the Sultanate/Emirate system. Sultanate and Emirate are not Hausa words. I dated a muslim african girl from the sahel who's father was upset that his kids didn't know their culture because they couldn't speak arabic and didn't go to mosque.

Also, saying that the dynamic between Hausa and Fulani has no role in northern socio-economics means you either don't read history and current affairs or you're deliberately trying to give me an alternative narrative to reality. I think that front isn't work going any further because you won't go anywhere.
No you are wrong sir, most of the traditions you see in the North are not from the Arabs these traditions have been put in practice since before the coming of Dan fodio infact Hausa is one of the language that tries and preserve most of it tradition for centuries not like south easterners so things like Durban, turban, tubali architecture where not copied from the Arabs, Arabian architecture is far different from our and the Arabia mode of dress is also different from Hausa mode of dress even the turban we wear in the North is not Islamic it's traditional it's usually worn by Hausa and Tuareg ,Hausa people are civilised since before the coming of Europeans u have to know All of this and best way to know the tradition of Hausa is by asking out elders they are the only one that are going to tell you the truth .

3 Likes

Re: How To Tell Difference Between Hausa And Fulani People by OruExpress: 3:32am On May 23, 2019
You're free to think that, but read your post. 'Turbaning' is an Arabian tradition. Your turban being styled different is no more African than my suit and tie looking unconventional. Igbo infuses English, but not as regularly and as often as Hausa infuses Arabic. To the extent that you can say Hausa is closer to a creole Arabic. 1000 years of arabization has convinced many that Hamzat Adamu are Hausa names, a Sultan is an hausa king, and caliphate is an Hausa means of political organization. I think the difference is the willingness to call Arab things African, then 'civilized'. Christianity has only been in southern Nigeria for 100 years and we see then impact. Compared to 1000 years of arabization.

2 Likes

Re: How To Tell Difference Between Hausa And Fulani People by OruExpress: 3:36am On May 23, 2019
Most elders aren't reliable sources. The same ignorant youth on the street will be elders one day and children will be asking them for answers of life, to no avail. Perpetuating a cycle of ignorance. Goats age too.

What's best is to speak to a peer reviewed anthropologist, or student of history. At that level, the idea that turbaning (arab), Durbar (persian), or Islam is African is silly at best.

4 Likes

Re: How To Tell Difference Between Hausa And Fulani People by JikanBaura(m): 11:01am On May 26, 2019
NSNA:

Dangote
Buhari
Sanusi
Babangida

Lol i seriously was hoping to see an explanation of how to handpicked whose hausa and whose fulani in mids of crowds. But it's turned out that your thread title is actually a question with missing question mark.

Anyway I'm Hausa and I'm having difficulty doing just that, fails like 8th, 7th in 10th attempts to pickout whose hausa amongs these three ethnic groups Hausa, Fulani and songhai (zabarmawa). It's weird that i even tried to do that lol but i tried but failed woefully (crying)

(Smile) i can help you with tip to identify Fulani. Every person you see herding cattles is Fulani.. Lol hope that's help.

Buhari said in an interview that's he's Fulani to his father side, Kanuri to his maternal grandfather side and Hausa to mertanal grandmother side. What a mixed � That's a rear gene. But i will say he's Fulani cuz you are what you looks like.

Dangote identify as Hausa Though fulani to his mother's side whose father is Hausa and mother is Fulani. Lol Dangote is Hausa.

IBB is Hausa because that's what his father is.

Here is the thing, to know what tribe anyone from North belongs to, Just ask what tribe is their father, Once they tell you that then that's their actual Tribe. In Hausa culture our society don't even recognize our daughters children as hausa once married to a none Hausa.

2 Likes

Re: How To Tell Difference Between Hausa And Fulani People by JikanBaura(m): 11:47am On May 26, 2019
But OP where do you heard this rumours from, it's either its a rumour that only prevail in you region or you just want to start a properganda. It's even unimaginable for our people to even think of such disagreement in Kano, it wouldn't even comes to mind.

But why do you think Hausa are Happy and Fulani arent happy? Is the one who decided the emirate Hausa? Or Are the new Emirs Hausa?
Re: How To Tell Difference Between Hausa And Fulani People by NSNA: 3:38pm On May 26, 2019
Apparently, there is no Fulani state in Nigeria.
That is interesting considering the amount of Fulani leaders in Nigeria has had.
Re: How To Tell Difference Between Hausa And Fulani People by Nobody: 11:38am On May 28, 2019
NSNA:
Apparently, there is no Fulani state in Nigeria.
That is interesting considering the amount of Fulani leaders in Nigeria has had.

Adamawa Gombe and Bauchi are Fulani states.
Re: How To Tell Difference Between Hausa And Fulani People by Nobody: 11:48am On May 28, 2019
OruExpress:

This is a very ignorant statement. Is there any culture in this world that hasnt been influenced by the cultures of those around them especially for cultures that have been in constant contact for a thousand years? To call islam a colonizing presence is also ridiculous. Islam was invited by hausas into hausaland to begin with, go and read on Ali yaji dan tsamiya. It was muhammad rumfa who invited al maghili to hausa land to help set up an administrative system. If you read the kano chronicles, this is the trend among hausa kings, no one forced anything on them. To call islam a colonizing presence is just willful ignorance or intellectual dishonesty.

So tell me is there anywhere in persia where durbar is celebrated exclusively during eid or is that unique to hausa land? Sultan and emir are just mainstream words, when we speak in hausa we call them "sarki".

NOo, you have it entirely wrong. I'm just saying the dynamics is not what you think. Its not a situation where one ethnic group envies the other or intentionally tries to put them down. Certain things already determined these dynamics to begin with and its certainly not based on ethnicity, like i told you, especially in the north west these ethnic groups dont differentiate between each other. How does dan tata a hausa man become one of the richest west africans and dangote his grand son become the richest black man alive under so called "fulani opression"? How does isyaka rabiu a hausa cleric become revered and wealthy and his son, Abdulsamad Rabiu a hausa man become worth according to forbes over $1bn under so called opression? The fact that families with fula ancestry got educated first in the north because they were in a better position to do so is the reason for this misconception you lot have. Not to brag but i think my dad was well to do, he got to where he got to because he got educated. No one ever tried to hold him down based on his ethnicity. Theres not one benefit a kanoan would enjoy that was denied to him because of it. What you REALLY need to understand is what i told you earlier, In the north west, state identity is way ahead of ethnic identity because these ethnic lines are too blurry.

I attached an excerpt from the kano chronicles for you. This is about Muhammad Kisoki, grand son of Muhammad rumfa. Two of the greatest kings kano has ever seen, Under kisokis watch kano became an empire. Maybe reading the highlighted part will help you understand some of the dynamics of kano. Mind you, madaki (h)auwa is the daughter of askiya the great of the songhai empire who was rumfas wife after the songhais incorporated kano into their empire. Of course Muhammad Kotal kanta of kebbi defeated the songhais soon after but auwas influence still grew. Point is, this woman is songhai and so is her brother and they have "hausa" descendants in kano.

Re: How To Tell Difference Between Hausa And Fulani People by Nobody: 12:17pm On May 28, 2019
OruExpress:
You're free to think that, but read your post. 'Turbaning' is an Arabian tradition. Your turban being styled different is no more African than my suit and tie looking unconventional. Igbo infuses English, but not as regularly and as often as Hausa infuses Arabic. To the extent that you can say Hausa is closer to a creole Arabic. 1000 years of arabization has convinced many that Hamzat Adamu are Hausa names, a Sultan is an hausa king, and caliphate is an Hausa means of political organization. I think the difference is the willingness to call Arab things African, then 'civilized'. Christianity has only been in southern Nigeria for 100 years and we see then impact. Compared to 1000 years of arabization.

OruExpress:
Most elders aren't reliable sources. The same ignorant youth on the street will be elders one day and children will be asking them for answers of life, to no avail. Perpetuating a cycle of ignorance. Goats age too.

What's best is to speak to a peer reviewed anthropologist, or student of history. At that level, the idea that turbaning (arab), Durbar (persian), or Islam is African is silly at best.

More ignorant statements. Problem with you is you keep spewing the same drivel so called pan africanists who either dont know or are insecure about their culture keep spouting and you keep trying to apply that to us. I'm a very proud kanoan hausa and i have almost every work on hausa history from the kano chronicles to other written works on hausa people in general and kano in specific. You keep trying to apply conventional african thinking to hausa people and i assure we as a people are a lot more complicated than that. If you try a y dna test of most hausa people you will find that many hausa people are not even nigerians because there has been too many waves of migration into hausa land. So how do you expect a people, a culture so diverse to have one single trajectory with no outside influences? Mind you hausa states have been commercial and learning centers at various times in the sahel. Like i said, name one culture in this world devoid of outside influences bar the primitive amazonians, or few african ethnicities that have not had real contact with the modern world.

Is there any arab country in this world that turbans their kings? And who in the world told you the turban is arab? How are you sure its not persian? or maybe from the indian sub continent? How are you sure its not african? The truth is there has been a lot of dispute as to the origin of the turban yet all these ethnicities use it! Does that mean indians and persians are colonizing the arabs or vice versa?

Hausa has arabic words but so does swahili, more so than hausa. But swahili is a bantu language, hausa like arabic is an afro asiatic language so its not just about arabic words. I keep telling you, you cant apply conventional thinking to hausa people. Most hausas look Sudanian/sahelian, yet hausas speak an afro asiatic language, and a very substantial percentage of hausas are of eurasian ancestry. Its not as straight forward as you think. We call kings sarkis, these words you use are mainstream words. You will not find one hausa person using the word caliphate, many dont even know what it means, We use words like jiha and gari for state. You dont have any genuine insight to what our way of life or society is like other than these false perceptions of what you think we should be.

All this is just a general explanation of hausa land let alone a place like kano where these microcosms are intensified.

We can argue about whether or not christianity has had a bigger impact on nigeria than islam.

2 Likes

Re: How To Tell Difference Between Hausa And Fulani People by Omarbah: 7:42pm On May 28, 2019
OruExpress:
I know Fulani customs very from group to group but those that are marginally or completely un-islamic exhibit a culture that in all reality, is unislamic. Tattoos, whippings, lax rules about sex, unislamic food prep, worship of a God other than Allah, attire for men and women which often involves relative nudity etc.

I saw the post on whipping you are referring and vividly remember the comments on it. Though I don't fully agree with them, I believe it is important to understand why they reacted the way they did.
I'd like to start by stating that culture is not static and is shaped by geography and climate. The most culturally "pure" people on earth are generally the most backward ones. Technologically speaking that it is. One of the reasons that allowed our colonization was precisely our isolation from the rest of world which was possible by the lack on harbors on our coast that support trade with the outside world. The Chinese, a great civilization were dominated by the UK, a country with a fraction of its population because of the self-imposed isolation of the Qing dynasty had kept them from the benefits of the industrial revolution. So to bring up these customs that Fulanis used to follow in majority as proof that they have gone astray only proves that at some point in their history, they made a decision to rid themselves of elements of their culture that they believe wouldn't help them get ahead. There are Fulani herdsmen who will tell you a Pullo (Fula) who doesn't own cows isn't a true Pullo because that's what they believe. They have a mindset frozen in a past. Without contacts with other groups and having the courage to question themselves, the vast majority of Fulanis in west Africa would still be herdsmen, they'd be subject to derision, they'd be disenfranchised as Bororo fulanis are in Cameroon. By "this is not our culture, please take it down", those Fulanis were simply saying that what they have been brought up to believe is the Fulani way (Pulaaku) is contrary to what they were seeing on that video. Therefore, you can say that Islam has changed the culture of ethnic groups in West Africa but it has not replaced it. Not only have Africans africanized the arab sounding names (Momodu, Mamadou, Amadou instead of Muhammad, Ahmed) but they continue to speak , promote their language, maintain cultural traditions as long as they do NOT go against Islam. Traditional Fulani weddings, baby naming ceremonies, graduation ceremonies are completely different from Arab ones. Furthermore, most Fulanis in the western part of our region (Senegal, Guinea, Mali, Sierra Leone, Gambia) have a middle name that is purely Fula (Sadio, Chernor, Julde, Bailo) , they have kept their last name and have a Fula equivalent for most Arab sounding names they chose. I've found some interesting purely fulani names in northern Nigeria like Barkindo which means blessed, Gidado (The loved one), Bodéjo (Red) etc. To the uninformed, these are foreign to the continent but you can't get more Fulani than that.

What I find alarming though, is the arabisation of Africans in some regions. That comment you made about a father getting angry with his daughter because she does not speak arabic is telling about a growing number of families. It's mainly due to wahhabi Islam that seeks to make Bedouin Arabs out of anyone they contact whether African, Pakistani, other Arabs that they persecuted, Indonesian. Wahhabism should be combated but should not be confused with the Islam that west African have been practicing for centuries. Wahhabism is as dangerous to our continent as Evangelical Christians who exploit the naiveté our people are.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Tell Difference Between Hausa And Fulani People by Omarbah: 8:43pm On May 28, 2019
Going back to the main topic itself, as an outside observer who have been "studying" Nigeria for a while and have spoken to mainly fulanis there, the northwest seems to be a more or less homogeneous with everyone speaking Hausa. Fulanis who live there for generations may identify as such but they only speak Hausa. The term Hausa-Fulani truly gains significance there because the local culture is the result of contribution from multiple groups mostly Hausa and Fulani with the dominant language being Hausa. In that sense, it isn't too different from the French culture today being a product of Gaulish (Gallic), Roman, and Germanic influence. If one is looking for "purer" Fulani, the northeast is the best region to search in. The stereotypical look of the Pullo is that he is lighter, has finer features. I could probably pick a Fulani from a crowd of Yoruba and Igbos even if they were light but I can't from a crowd of Hausa simply because they probably have a parent or grandparent from one of the two groups.
As for the Emirate issue in Kano, I gather that it's mainly in internal issue with the Bayeros trying to get back to Sanusi but I could be wrong.

Ethnicity is a social construct so despite the cohesion they have in the northwest, it'd be wise to not play that card. Ethnic sentiment can lay dormant for decades and then rise just out of a feeling of being threatened. Hausa and Fulani are probably the most connected groups in west Africa. This Kano Emirate business should be handled in the most quiet and diplomatic manner as to not satisfy those seeking to divide them.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Do I Say I Wan Fuk In Hausa And Yoruba Languages? / Which Tribe In Nigeria Is The Best For Any One To Marry / Nigerian Women Vs Somali Women In History

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 150
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.