Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,237 members, 7,818,795 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:02 AM

What Does The Bible/quoran And God Say About Smoking Cigarrettes? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Does The Bible/quoran And God Say About Smoking Cigarrettes? (1817 Views)

Why I Left Islam After Reading The Quoran / Muslim Preacher Finds Jesus In The Quoran And Converts To Christainty / If you thinK Jesus Is Not God? Say This Words and See what will happen to you (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Does The Bible/quoran And God Say About Smoking Cigarrettes? by bodsibobo(m): 4:35pm On May 03, 2007
The perception of people differ a lot on smoking cigarettes.

I attended a christain forum recently where smoking was condemned so much that I felt it was too much. In as much as I accept that it has very negative effects on health, can we really say it is a sin?

If so, will the taking of sugar by a diabetic person or taking of salt by a person with high blood pressure (hypertensive) which equally have deadly consequencies qualify as a sin in the same manner as cigarettes?

Can our bible scholars please help me by showing where the bible specifically condemns this as sin?
Re: What Does The Bible/quoran And God Say About Smoking Cigarrettes? by nago2007(m): 11:42am On May 09, 2007
Smoking Is Haram (Islamically Unlawful)……Why?

1- The declaration that “There is no God Worthy of being worshipped except Allah & that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah”, demands that the Muslim accepts the Decrees set by Allah and by His Messenger-Muhammad (SAAW)

2- Islam is a Revelation from Allah with a complete code of life. It tells what is good and what is evil:

(And We have shown him (man) the two ways (good and evil) ) (Qur’an 90: 10)

(He allows them all that is good and lawful, and prohibits them as unlawful all that is evil (things, deeds, beliefs, persons, foods, drinks, etc.) ) (Quran 7:157)

So is Smoking (cigarettes, pipes, etc.) evil or not? Let us examine its effects:
• smoking is a killer: causes lung-cancer, lung-tuberculosis and heart diseases.
Allah says:
(And do not kill yourselves ) (Qur’an 4:29)
He also says:
(And do not throw yourselves into destruction) (Qur’an 2:195)

These verses are sufficient to make smoking Haram.
• smoking is a wasting of wealth.
Allah says:
(…But spend not wastefully (your wealth) in the manner of a spendthrift, Verily, spendthrifts are brothers of the devils, and the Devil (Satan) is ever ungrateful to his Lord) (Qur’an 17:26-27)

The smoker is unjust to himself as well as his family by burning away his money and his chest!
the smoker not only causes harm to himself, he/she also inflicts harms upon others around him/her.
The Prophet (S.A.W)
"There should be neither harming nor reciprocating harm” (Saheeh Al-Jami 7517)
• The smoker cause the spread of evil, they smoke openly and thus encourage others to do the same.
• The smokers dislike fasting and praying because they become impatient. They want to go for the next “round”. The smoker becomes like an edict.
• The smoker smells bad! His car, home, clothes etc. carry the bad smell too.

3- From the above, it is clear that smoking is evil and thus it is Haram (unlawful).
If you are under any kind of stress, then turn to Allah, read the Qur’an, and be with non-smokers. Seek Allah’s help and don’t be enslaved to something that burns you and your money.

For a sane there is no need for explanation, for an idiot no explanation is enough!
Re: What Does The Bible/quoran And God Say About Smoking Cigarrettes? by LoveKing(m): 3:28pm On May 09, 2007
hmm this debate is gonna last long! everyone's gona explain what they "know". If you are a smoker/non smoker follow your heart. Be persuaded that what you are doing is not Sin. Nobody is going to give you the right expression or answer you need here. truthfully NOBODY!
Re: What Does The Bible/quoran And God Say About Smoking Cigarrettes? by thesilent1(m): 10:30am On May 10, 2007
is the question here SIN or HEALTH!?!?!?!?!

Sin is very misunderstood and we confuse sins with SIN! I have syudied this topic hard for personal reasons and i have come to a conclusion which I believe is right! (please do not accept this as YOUR truth!!)

it damages your health! FACT! it costs you money! FACT!!! it can be unpleasant to others! FACT!!!! it is selfish! FACT.
now the word say whatsoever things are pure, of good report, loving, etc, think on these things.

I wholeheartedly believe that smoking is bad for you, your health and those around you so from a COMMONSENSE point of view, you should not do it!

will this habbit stop you from going to heaven IF you have believed in your heart and confessed with your mouth that Jesus Christ is Lord, then ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!! you will get your reward for how you lived your life and in that sense you WILL suffer loss, but not the way we think loss is!!!! we confuse suffering loss with hell and so we live in constant fear of God! how ironic that the one person we should be absolutely comfortable with is the one we lie to and pretend to all day!!! LOL God help us!!!

Now some of you are going to start to talk about "does that mean you can do anything and still go to heavn?!?!?!?" Well, what does the bible say? that has to be the answer to EVERY single question we might have!

We have this human nature to want to PAY for everything so to accept that smoking does not stop you from going to heaven sounds like herecy to us! We think this because we see smoking as a "sinful pleasure" and so having anything to do with that AUTOMATICALLY means hell!

go and read the word again, you will see the Father and Lord the way He really is!

So, in summary, answer this question YOURSELF!!!! based on you going back to study the word and showing your self approved!!!!!

PS - TRUTH IS A VERY LONELY PLACE!!!! UNLIKE TRADITION WHICH IS A CROWDED PARTY!!!!
Re: What Does The Bible/quoran And God Say About Smoking Cigarrettes? by Gwaine(m): 7:17pm On May 14, 2007
   One does not need religion to know the dangers of smoking.

The Federal Ministry of Health does not "advice" people on its dangers. Rather, the jingle back in those days was something like -

'The Federal Ministry of Health has WARNED that tobacco smoking is dangerous to your health!'

Anyone with a functional brain knows what that means. To find out more quickly what is behind that warning, try "speed" - it's guaranteed to leave sad testimonies.  lipsrsealed
Re: What Does The Bible/quoran And God Say About Smoking Cigarrettes? by mrpataki(m): 7:27pm On May 14, 2007
There is a silent anecdote in the science world that cigarette contains formalin used in body embalment. tongue

For the smokers, keep it on!!!!
Re: What Does The Bible/quoran And God Say About Smoking Cigarrettes? by Gwaine(m): 7:29pm On May 14, 2007
Lol, I hope the smokers won't silently embalm themselves before their time!  grin

----------------------------

Come to think of it, "formalin" is just one word from two: 'formal' and 'in'.
Hmmm, does that suggest also that the cigar companies are helping 'em
smokers to the finishing line for some "formal" entrance "in" to that place?
shocked
Re: What Does The Bible/quoran And God Say About Smoking Cigarrettes? by mrpataki(m): 7:41pm On May 14, 2007
@ Gwaine,

Thou art indeed a genius!

Formal entrance in

[center]Smokers are liable to been embalmed before their death![/center] shocked shocked
Re: What Does The Bible/quoran And God Say About Smoking Cigarrettes? by Gwaine(m): 7:49pm On May 14, 2007
grin grin Hehe, I no tell you before??

Oya, smokers - you can get closer to a 'formal' entering 'in' to that place by smoking "speed"!! afteral, there's a high concentrate of "formalin" in that brand! cool
Re: What Does The Bible/quoran And God Say About Smoking Cigarrettes? by mrpataki(m): 8:03pm On May 15, 2007
If there were to be a direct from the bible in respect to not smoking would you even have followed

How many of the Thou shall not have you obeyed to the letter?
Re: What Does The Bible/quoran And God Say About Smoking Cigarrettes? by jeshua(m): 2:23pm On May 18, 2007
D.L. Moody once replied a journalist who asked him if the Bible is agaianst smoking, he responded thus;

Reporter: Is the Bible against smoking? Becuase it seems there is nothing in the Bible against smoking?

Moody: Yes, there is nothing against smoking in the Bible.

Reporter: Thank you Preacher, it means smoking is not wrong (he turned back from following him. but has he was about going away-D. L. Moody called out to Him)

Moody: but the Bible infact supports smoking.

Reporter: (Short of words but seem interested said) is that  true? Please do give me the passage?

Moody: (replied) Ofcourse, Rev. 22:11-12.
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

*Actual conversation refraimed for the African audience
Re: What Does The Bible/quoran And God Say About Smoking Cigarrettes? by locoman(m): 10:21am On May 21, 2007
I hate cigarette myself. But good ganja is good. that is why i burn it all the time and it is healthy to your body better than any herbal medicine you can ever fine. In Holland where i live it is legal to burn wed, there are shops for it, walked right inn buy and tie it good and blaze it up. Look folks there is no sin in eating vegetables irrespective on how it is being consumed whether cocked or set ablaze.

Thanks.
Re: What Does The Bible/quoran And God Say About Smoking Cigarrettes? by ibrahim007: 4:25pm On May 23, 2007
Lack of wisdom make people think like u.i'm sorry.
Re: What Does The Bible/quoran And God Say About Smoking Cigarrettes? by ibrahim007: 4:26pm On May 23, 2007
Lack of wisdom make people think like u.i'm sorry but i got to spit fact.
Re: What Does The Bible/quoran And God Say About Smoking Cigarrettes? by thesilent1(m): 9:52am On May 24, 2007
i thought eating was different to smoking?
Re: What Does The Bible/quoran And God Say About Smoking Cigarrettes? by djl(m): 5:57pm On May 25, 2007
LoveKing:

hmm this debate is going to last long! everyone's gona explain what they "know". If you are a smoker/non smoker follow your heart. Be persuaded that what you are doing is not Sin. Nobody is going to give you the right expression or answer you need here. truthfully NOBODY!
I totally disagree wt you.Although the bible does not say anything about smoking but it does give some guildlines that help one to know wether smoking is good or not.For example,
1)1st or2nd cor 7:1 explains that "we should cleanse ourselves of every defilement of the spirit and flesh(body)". Now is ciggarette not defiling or polluting the body?
2) Our body is the temple of God. Will it be good and wise to pollute God's temple
3)Our body really is the Lord's(He created it)not ours. Will it be good to spoil what does not belong to you since smoking spoil or pollute our inside
Therefore note that the Bible does not say anything about killing with a gun but does forbid murder since killing is killing no matter the method, likewise the bible does not say anything about smoking but does forbid the polluting of our body through any means

(1) (Reply)

Sometimes I Wish That There Is A God. / Love And Submission? / City Of David Church Victoria Island

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.