Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,972 members, 7,817,857 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:21 PM

ON SUICIDE: The New Nigerian Stage Play - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ON SUICIDE: The New Nigerian Stage Play (218 Views)

Osinbajo’s Presidential Declaration Video Sets New Nigerian Internet Records / Wole Soyinka: Nigeria On Suicide Slide, Must Decentralise Fast / New Nigerian Navy Ship Stops Over In Ghana. Greeted By Ghanaian Officials (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

ON SUICIDE: The New Nigerian Stage Play by Badirukehinde(m): 9:59pm On May 15, 2019
*ON SUICIDE: The New Nigerian Stage Play*

My friend and Radio brother, Tosin wrote about Suicide and its increasing rate. I had been silent on this issue but I have to make this clear because it's disturbing.

Refresh your Home page on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and major blogs in Nigeria, you would have your eyes fed with sad tales of suicide and post-suicide victims. While still grappling with why they took their own lives, your eyes will also be decorated with the suicide notes they left behind, some in fine writings at that.

Even though Popular Culture and Media, and its social nuances have brought us closer to the world and the idea of the Post-Modern (or if you so wish) your own idea of being Modern in a Post-traumatic Nigerian State, I find it erratic, yet heart-smelting to say that Suicide amongst Nigerian youth is a product of what we consume online and the Nigerian dystopia is enough inspiration to buy a rope or 'Sniper'.

In the whole of last year, and with the gory statistics of those who had committed suicide this year, the blame had allegedly been pinned to Buhari's harsh regime. I find this as a shift-blame/blame-shift mechanism.

Sadly, we are trapped in a nation where there are hardly National Rehabilitation Centres or even Forensic teams who would look into the issues and cases of suicides. Don't be forced to 'replace your tea with water' when you discover that in the real sense of it, only 40% of the Suicide cases might actually be true. What if serial killers are out there strategically killing their victims then staging their death scenes and the actual death as a 'suicide'?

I confidently put it to you that Suicide is a serious issue, that which the right persons are not paying attention to. Your President is in Saudi Arabia at the moment, I don't think it concerns him (Maybe, when he returns from his 35th 'Ajala' excursion)

Suicide is not the way but can be the way to those who are having the thought(s) of it. Let's help our friends, families and colleagues. Talk to people, monitor (sudden/irrational) changes in behaviours and what have you. Show love.

We have work to do.
God will not stop you from killing yourself; He has given us Choice already. Be guided.

NB: If the government comes for me after this post, don't be sober, be glad truth prevailed.

#BadiruKehinde

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

I Am A Nigeria By Joshua Nicholas / FG To Close Down Enugu Airport, Gives Reasons / INEC Challenges Jurisdiction Of Court On Okorocha’s Suit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.