Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,556 members, 7,816,344 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:54 AM

Build America Visa Replaces Green Card In Trump's New US Entry Plan - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Build America Visa Replaces Green Card In Trump's New US Entry Plan (1885 Views)

Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 4 / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 3 / Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Build America Visa Replaces Green Card In Trump's New US Entry Plan by Nobody: 12:06pm On May 17, 2019
WASHINGTON:
HIGHLIGHTS
Currently, most of the green cards are issued based on family links
New plan seeks to increase highly-skilled workers' quota from 12 to 57%
Every year the US issues nearly 1.1 million green cards
Donald Trump has said he will replace the existing green cards with 'Build America' visa, as the US President unveiled a new merit and points-based immigration policy that seeks to increase the quota for highly-skilled workers from 12 to 57 per cent.
Every year the US issues nearly 1.1 million green cards, which gives foreign nationals life-time permission to live and work in the US and a path to citizenship in five years. Currently most of cards are issued based on family links and diversity visa, and a small section is given to people who are professionals and highly skilled.

Trump said on Thursday he wanted to change that and unveiled a new proposal. "Our proposal fulfils our sacred duty to those living here today, while ensuring America remains a welcoming country to immigrants joining us tomorrow. We want immigrants coming in," Trump said in a major immigration policy address in the Rose Garden of the White House.

"We cherish the open door that we want to create for our country, but a big proportion of those immigrants must come in through merit and skill," he said.

The White House plan makes no change to the number of green cards allocated each year. "Instead of admitting people through random chance, we will establish simple, universal criteria for admission to the United States. No matter where in the world you're born, no matter who your relatives are, if you want to become an American citizen, it will be clear exactly what standard we ask you to achieve. It will be made crystal clear," Trump said.

"This will increase the diversity of immigration flows into our country. We will replace the existing green card categories with a new visa, the Build America visa - which is what we all want to hear," Trump said amidst applause from the audience.

Trump said like Canada and many other modern countries, his administration seeks to create an "easy-to-navigate points-based" selection system.

"You will get more points for being a younger worker, meaning you will contribute more to our social safety net. You will get more points for having a valuable skill, an offer of employment, an advanced education, or a plan to create jobs," he said.

In the absence of such a system, America is losing people who want to start companies, and in many cases, are forced to leave the country and go back to the country where they came from, he said. "They could've started them (companies) right here in the United States, where they wanted to do it in the first place. Now they'll have a chance," Trump said.

The President said priority will also be given to higher-wage workers to ensure the American labour is never undercut. To protect benefits for American citizens, immigrants must be financially self-sufficient, he said.

"Finally, to promote integration, assimilation, and national unity, future immigrants will be required to learn English and to pass a civics exam prior to admission. Through these steps, we will deliver an immigration system that respects, and even strengthens, our culture, our traditions, and our values," Trump said. According to the president, Americans with criminal records are getting a second chance at life in higher numbers than ever before.

Unfortunately, the current immigration rules allow foreign workers to substitute for Americans seeking entry-level jobs. "So, foreign workers are coming in and they're taking the jobs that would normally go to American workers," Trump said.

"America's immigration system should bring in people who will expand opportunity for striving, low-income Americans, not to compete with those low-income Americans," he said.

As a result of the broken rules, the annual green card flow is mostly low-wage and low-skilled, he rued, adding that the newcomers compete for jobs against the most vulnerable Americans and put pressure on social safety net and generous welfare programmes. "Only 12 per cent of legal immigrants are selected based on skill or based on merit.

In countries like Canada, Australia, and New Zealand that number is closer to 60 and even 70 and 75 per cent, in some cases," he said. The biggest change his administration will make is to increase the proportion of highly-skilled immigration from 12 per cent to 57 per cent, Trump said. "We'd like to even see if we can go higher. This will bring us in line with other countries and make us globally competitive," he said. At the same time, the current system prioritise the immediate family of new Americans - spouses and children, he said.

"The loved ones you choose to build a life with, we prioritise. And we have to do that. They go right to the front of the line. Right to the front of the line, where they should be," Trump said.
source:https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/benefits-for-skilled-workers-in-donald-trumps-new-merit-based-immigration-plan-2038860

1 Like

Re: Build America Visa Replaces Green Card In Trump's New US Entry Plan by Nobody: 12:13pm On May 17, 2019
While other countries leaders are thinking of new ideas on how to transform their countries,our own shameless,big for nothing,dead brain buhari is thinking of the next country to visit.... Why I my a Nigerian sef

3 Likes

Re: Build America Visa Replaces Green Card In Trump's New US Entry Plan by Dottore: 12:19pm On May 17, 2019
It's not a bad policy

7 Likes

Re: Build America Visa Replaces Green Card In Trump's New US Entry Plan by hammed71(m): 12:30pm On May 17, 2019
but will congress approve it?

2 Likes

Re: Build America Visa Replaces Green Card In Trump's New US Entry Plan by lorenzos1: 3:11pm On May 17, 2019
Smart Move....!

1 Like

Re: Build America Visa Replaces Green Card In Trump's New US Entry Plan by Nobody: 6:39pm On May 17, 2019
hammed71:
For where, it's already dead on arrival. The policy did not address DACA and wants to take away family reunion. Meanwhile, that was how Trump's family and his wife's family came to US. United States is a no man's land and this idiiot keeps trying to change what has been enshrined generations upon generations!

4 Likes

Re: Build America Visa Replaces Green Card In Trump's New US Entry Plan by Nobody: 7:23pm On May 17, 2019
PaulSimon2020:
For where, it's already dead on arrival. The policy did not address DACA and wants to take away family reunion. Meanwhile, that was how Trump's family and his wife's family came to US. United States is a no man's land and this idiiot keeps trying to change what has been enshrined generations upon generations!

Yea.

I'm just imagining the kind of rating he'd attach to the skilled visa of a thing. Something that after seeing it, you just give up.

Trump is just saying no to immigrants.
Re: Build America Visa Replaces Green Card In Trump's New US Entry Plan by Nobody: 7:44pm On May 17, 2019
Awol1:

Yea.

I'm just imagining the kind of rating he'd attach to the skilled visa of a thing. Something that after seeing it, you just give up.

Asin ehn, only a Mad Man will pass that immigration test. At the end, it will be a Dullard American competing against a Job with a Super Intelligent Black man. it will look so stupid & depressing.
Re: Build America Visa Replaces Green Card In Trump's New US Entry Plan by Ope4Christ: 7:45pm On May 17, 2019
This policy will only replicate what is in practice in Canada, Australia, New Zealand etc. It is the best immigration policy going by how Canada, Australia and New Zealand have grown their economies with it. Their economies are expanding day-by-day. Canada projected 1million immigrants from 2019 - 2021. This is massive and Nigerians have benefited from it.

The new policy will not remove any country which has exceeded the 50,000 maximum annual threshold for immigrants. For example since Nigerian immigrants to USA have exceeded the 50,000 annual threshold since 2012, hence, delisted from participating in Visa Lottery. But with the new policy, highly Skilled Nigerians will be able to participate without discrimination.

Congress might pass it into law going by the trend in the world. Germany, Japan and Hungary also have population shortages, hence trying to consider immigration policy of such nature.

Check Canadian point scale immigration system for more details.

5 Likes

Re: Build America Visa Replaces Green Card In Trump's New US Entry Plan by Nobody: 7:56pm On May 17, 2019
Awol1:

Yea.

He is just an ass*hole and a plain racist, can't wait for the next election!

3 Likes

Re: Build America Visa Replaces Green Card In Trump's New US Entry Plan by Amuocha: 7:58pm On May 17, 2019
God Bless America
Re: Build America Visa Replaces Green Card In Trump's New US Entry Plan by NothingDoMe: 8:00pm On May 17, 2019
I think it's a good policy.
Re: Build America Visa Replaces Green Card In Trump's New US Entry Plan by hammed71(m): 11:10pm On May 17, 2019
hmm will it pass congress or not
Re: Build America Visa Replaces Green Card In Trump's New US Entry Plan by hammed71(m): 11:12pm On May 17, 2019
if it eventually passes, when will it be effective, is it immediately or the next year?
Re: Build America Visa Replaces Green Card In Trump's New US Entry Plan by rinzaugustine: 11:13pm On May 17, 2019
PaulSimon2020:
He is just an ass*hole and a plain racist, can't wait for the next election!
The white haired scandinavians he intends to attract as against the colored from poor countries are not interested in living in the toxic atmosphere ,he has created in America.The Nigerians that support him back home do so out of inferiority complex.I was like them until i experienced what racism is like.They can gang up together against you as a black man,if you are in a well paying job they control.I feel like strangling them,anytime i see them,but i cant.Hopeless racists ! TRump is their patron saint
Re: Build America Visa Replaces Green Card In Trump's New US Entry Plan by hammed71(m): 11:13pm On May 17, 2019
if it eventually passes, when will it be effective, is it immediately or the next year
Re: Build America Visa Replaces Green Card In Trump's New US Entry Plan by GloShare(m): 11:29pm On May 17, 2019
American Express Entry Coming Soon.
Re: Build America Visa Replaces Green Card In Trump's New US Entry Plan by hammed71(m): 11:37pm On May 17, 2019
I hope so too
Re: Build America Visa Replaces Green Card In Trump's New US Entry Plan by ihustler(m): 12:22am On May 18, 2019
This will not smell the Frontpage since you did not quote Tonto Dikeh and Regina Daniels.

But as me if this Donald Trump is a good man I can't say but he's a better president than what we have on ground.

Always forward thinking, not time for stories not democratic enough to lose grounds like Democrats Presidents who would lie through their teeth just to hold onto popularity.

American are hypocrites that's why they do not want to support the Mexican walls but inside America they wished the Mexicans never crossed into their lands.

1 Like

Re: Build America Visa Replaces Green Card In Trump's New US Entry Plan by Nobody: 4:12am On May 18, 2019
rinzaugustine:
The white haired scandinavians he intends to attract as against the colored from poor countries are not interested in living in the toxic atmosphere ,he has created in America.The Nigerians that support him back home do so out of inferiority complex.I was like them until i experienced what racism is like.They can gang up together against you as a black man,if you are in a well paying job they control.I feel like strangling them,anytime i see them,but i cant.Hopeless racists ! TRump is their patron saint
Nigerians that are supporting him have no iota of idea how toxic and polarized that stupiid orangutan has made US lately.
Re: Build America Visa Replaces Green Card In Trump's New US Entry Plan by hammed71(m): 6:49am On May 18, 2019
PaulSimon2020:
Nigerians that are supporting him have no iota of idea how toxic and polarized that stupiid orangutan has made US lately.
so is this bill dead on arrival
Re: Build America Visa Replaces Green Card In Trump's New US Entry Plan by 9jagobetta: 8:00am On May 18, 2019
Hmmmm
Re: Build America Visa Replaces Green Card In Trump's New US Entry Plan by Nobody: 12:45pm On May 18, 2019
hammed71:
so is this bill dead on arrival
Oh yes, absolutely. The bill might not even make it to the floor let alone of hearing. No Democrat in his/her right mindset will support such a bill. We all want merit based immigration programs but there are two things very important to every Democrat that the bill purposely failed to address: Dreamers and Family reunion!
Re: Build America Visa Replaces Green Card In Trump's New US Entry Plan by Aleora(f): 11:58pm On May 18, 2019
hammed71:
I watched the news yesterday on aljazeera,the probability of it getting approved is 10% because most people are already protesting against it by recreating the statue of liberty..lets just watch and see,he also added that non english speaking country will have to write and pass a certain exam to come to US
Aljazeera also said the policy will only favour the whites.

(1) (Reply)

Lockdown In Turkey: I & My Friends Share Situation With Pictures From Windows / I'll Pay You To Help Me Secure A U.k Visa / Travel Now And Pay Later

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.