Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,099 members, 7,814,862 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:12 PM

Mercedes Benz Thread - Car Talk (284) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Mercedes Benz Thread (967524 Views)

Photo: Mercedes Benz Vs Audi / Mercedes Benz Releases Details On 9G Tronic Nine Speed Auto / The Life Cycle Of The Mercedes Benz ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (281) (282) (283) (284) (285) (286) (287) ... (546) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by AshipaEk0: 7:05pm On Nov 20, 2019
lubehouse9ja:
It's just 14k bro..

ok.

i'll buzz you.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by zubike01(m): 7:20pm On Nov 20, 2019
Mercedes C300 2008 Or E350 2007

Thinking of upgrading from a C240 2003, the cars withing my budget are either an E350 2007 or C300 2008, the challenge I am having is that I like the 2007 E350 because it has more room and has this matured feel. On the other hand the C300 was face lifted in the year 2008, while the E350 got a face lift in the year 2010( i cant afford), so am thinking if i go ahead with the E-class after four years the car might start to look very old but with the C300 it wouldn't look that old. I need people opinions and reasons why they would go for any of the two options .

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Eddee(m): 7:32pm On Nov 20, 2019
zubike01:

Thinking of upgrading from a C240 2003, the cars withing my budget are either an E350 2007 or C300 2008, the challenge I am having is that I like the 2007 E350 because it has more room and has this matured feel. On the other hand the C300 was face lifted in the year 2008, while the E350 got a face lift in the year 2010( i cant afford), so am thinking if i go ahead with the E-class after four years the car might start to look very old but with the C300 it wouldn't look that old. I need people opinions and reasons why they would go for any of the two options .

Imho newer is better in every ramification. (fun fact, do you know that the w211's parts are more expensive than the w204's? That alone should help you make up your mind given your budget constraints - HeavenlyBang and Nurey over to you

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by sacramento1212: 7:39pm On Nov 20, 2019
zubike01:

My own opinion, if i must do a w204 C300, it will be from 2010 and above. The 2008 suffered EIS failure which is an expensive repair if it fails except you are lucky though.

As for the 2007 E350, I love the matured look and when compared to the 2008 C300, it will definitely be my choice but it's more expensive to maintain than the C300.

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 7:40pm On Nov 20, 2019
Eddee:

Imho newer is better in every ramification. (fun fact, do you know that the w211's parts are more expensive than the w204's? That alone should help you make up your mind given your budget constraints - HeavenlyBang and Nurey over to you

W204, definitely. Just try and get a fully loaded one.

Get a C350 if possible. Much better car.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by KINGreignn: 7:48pm On Nov 20, 2019
Eddee:

Big man, I understand you perfectly, at least we are both very practical men. Although your 100k odometer analogy is a bit off.

Now take a look at both attached pictures (daily drivers); Lexus IS is at 159,510 km (almost at 100k miles on the dot), Merc E320 is at 376,527 km (236k miles or so). Lexus still runs on factory recommended oil, Merc runs on 15w50, thinking of changing to 20w50 if oil shortage intervals increase beyond the current threshold.
Irrespective of popular opinion or expert advise - I'm not going to replace or repair/rebuild anything, that engine go work him money complete, but you see that IS? Na only fresh Mobil 1/Castrol we go give am until him cheap engine decide kaput too.

**abeg make una pretend say una no see the Lexus TRAC and VSC wahala. As well as my speed sensor issues wer don activate ESP/ABS malfunctions for Benz. As for SRS na normal thing.

Holla at me, I'd teach you how synchronize the system to prevent that from coming up.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 7:56pm On Nov 20, 2019
Smartchoiice:

There are good techs in Kano fah. Knocking rollers too. But I most definitely suspect pulleys. Find kewt on Nairaland seems he's the closest to you that I can remember

No be you be Kewtt? angry
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Eddee(m): 8:18pm On Nov 20, 2019
KINGreignn:

Holla at me, I'd teach you how synchronize the system to prevent that from coming up.

Yes boss

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by banky3w(m): 8:27pm On Nov 20, 2019
After all said and done, the food for the engine has landed. My 2GR-FE engine at 200k miles has never burnt oil(at least not showing on dipstick). Until oil burn arises, Na better mobil1 E go dey chop grin grin. It's a shame that neither Mars nor Jupiter carry Mobil 2 or export. Till then.......... wink wink wink

2 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by KINGreignn: 8:32pm On Nov 20, 2019
banky3w:
After all said and done, the food for the engine has landed. My 2GR-FE engine at 200k miles has never burnt oil(at least not showing on dipstick). Until oil burn arises, Na better mobil1 E go dey chop grin grin. It's a shame that neither Mars nor Jupiter carry Mobil 2 or export. Till then.......... wink wink wink

Even my 3MZ-FE doesn't burn oil at 192k miles cool

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by thebigkendo(m): 8:33pm On Nov 20, 2019
HeavenlyBang:

grin grin
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by AmuDimpka: 8:34pm On Nov 20, 2019
Eddee:

Big man, I understand you perfectly, at least we are both very practical men. Although your 100k odometer analogy is a bit off.

Now take a look at both attached pictures (daily drivers); Lexus IS is at 159,510 km (almost at 100k miles on the dot), Merc E320 is at 376,527 km (236k miles or so). Lexus still runs on factory recommended oil, Merc runs on 15w50, thinking of changing to 20w50 if oil shortage intervals increase beyond the current threshold.
Irrespective of popular opinion or expert advise - I'm not going to replace or repair/rebuild anything, that engine go work him money complete, but you see that IS? Na only fresh Mobil 1/Castrol we go give am until him cheap engine decide kaput too.

**abeg make una pretend say una no see the Lexus TRAC and VSC wahala. As well as my speed sensor issues wer don activate ESP/ABS malfunctions for Benz. As for SRS na normal thing.
I don't do Lexus talks on a benz thread .... Oga ... Once ur car has done over 100k miles trust me the engine has seen the better days ... In physics it's called depreciation... The salvage value has gone

Did you do physics In school

Dude once your car is 2007 model trust your engine has seen better days

We don't argue these facts ! It's simple science.

Or are you decieving yourself that your engine is top notch

Dude wears and tears have set it....friction has taken place

3 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by AmuDimpka: 8:37pm On Nov 20, 2019
sacramento1212:

Have you been able to locate the Mobil 2?

Yes, it is on your car hood !

LoL
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by thebigkendo(m): 8:45pm On Nov 20, 2019
conductor250:
[s][/s]
2019 consumer reports list of most reliable cars is out. Do you have a thing to say? cheesy

Oga troll... Wetin concern reliability with the post weh you quote?
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by sacramento1212: 8:50pm On Nov 20, 2019
KINGreignn:

Even my 3MZ-FE doesn't burn oil at 192k miles cool

banky3w:

People wey sabi, keep it up.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Eddee(m): 8:52pm On Nov 20, 2019
AmuDimpka:

I don't do Lexus talks on a benz thread .... Oga ... Once ur car has done over 100k miles trust me the engine has seen the better days ... In physics it's called depreciation... The salvage value has gone

Did you do physics In school

Dude once your car is 2007 model trust your engine has seen better days

We don't argue these facts ! It's simple science.

Or are you decieving yourself that your engine is top notch

Dude wears and tears have set it....friction has taken place

Why can't we hold civil convos on here, without making it personal?

Anyway, I'm an accountant, I'll permit you to lecture me more on salvage value - or the glaring fact that depreciation expense is used to allocate the cost of a tangible asset over its useful life. Humor me more, since I may not know how to determine the book value of an asset sorry in this case a liability.

You've a personal car and consider it an asset? Apart from the obvious ease of movement, how much does it make for you? Can you quantify the amount the car saves you? Do you know how a balance sheet works in real life? The question is what is your car's current Book Value? Maybe physics can solve it for you

3 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by thebigkendo(m): 8:52pm On Nov 20, 2019

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by AmuDimpka: 9:06pm On Nov 20, 2019
Eddee:

Why can't we hold civil convos on here, without making it personal?

Anyway, I'm an accountant, I'll permit you to lecture me more on salvage value - or the glaring fact that depreciation expense is used to allocate the cost of a tangible asset over its useful life. Humor me more, since I may not know how to determine the book value of an asset sorry in this case a liability.

You've a personal car and consider it an asset? Apart from the obvious ease of movement, how much does it make for you? Can you quantify the amount the car saves you? Do you know how a balance sheet works in real life? The question is what is your car's current Book Value? Maybe physics can solve it for you

My dear it's a two way street... It is either you agree or not .. the truth is that an engine that has over q
100,000 kilometers has seen better days and have depreciated. The salvage value of a car is calculated by determining the average life of your vehicle, then factoring in depreciation of that car. ... You are an accountant so I shouldn't be telling you this bro...

Don't even think that your clean looking engine with over 100,000k is still amazing .. it has seen better days are with any. At from 2005 to 2009... I am realistic

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by AmuDimpka: 9:09pm On Nov 20, 2019
thebigkendo:
Why is the amu guy talking like dru?
Only that dru is pro mobil 1

www.nairaland.com/attachments/10591204_105424441053931210536665imagejpegjpeg6f95b5e7a24ad4fc0808d6698fd37362jpegjpeg7969e16052cab4d8eda281554c6ef65cjpegbae028bf3411a4552b835dd12ff0396e_jpeg_jpege0b990fd9d608be2117bb95726f0c3ea
It can be funny when you see people dribjg 2005 - 2010 cars shouting Mobil 1 up and down and Mobil salesmen and smart mechanic would be reaping them off... They don't even know the types of oils from synthetic to semi synthetic oil

Once in a while we tell th their folly

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by AmuDimpka: 9:14pm On Nov 20, 2019
sacramento1212:

People wey sabi, keep it up.

After a hundred or so thousand miles on your engine, engine internals start to display a certain level of wear after millions and millions or revs over the years. Moving parts like crankshaft, pistons, valves, camshafts and so on are no longer precisely fitted inside of the engine block or engine head and the car loses compression and therefore performance and fuel economy. In other, simpler words, the car is old and tired.

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by AmuDimpka: 9:14pm On Nov 20, 2019
Okay
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 9:42pm On Nov 20, 2019
HeavenlyBang:

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 9:55pm On Nov 20, 2019
If the manufacturer say make I use palm oil, I use palm oil. If the engine like make get mileage of 1 billion.

I use full synthetic oil that can last 5k miles. My maintenance minder comes up between 3 and 4k miles. The manufacturer says whichever oil I use, the maintenance minder should be followed. So when my minder tells me service is due now, I service.

Whatever the manufacturer says, I do. I follow them religiously like a blind man cheesy

If you know better than your own manufacturer, good for you grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by KINGreignn: 10:42pm On Nov 20, 2019
rationalmind:
If the manufacturer say make I use palm oil, I use palm oil. If the engine like make get mileage of 1 billion.

I use full synthetic oil that can last 5k miles. My maintenance minder comes up between 3 and 4k miles. The manufacturer says whichever oil I use, the maintenance minder should be followed. So when my minder tells me service is due now, I service.

Whatever the manufacturer says I do, I follow them religiously like a blind man cheesy

Make e try am for Mitsubishi or Mazda and then Ameruka will know if the engine doesn't smoke shisha. lipsrsealed

2 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by AmuDimpka: 2:33am On Nov 21, 2019
KINGreignn:

Make e try am for Mitsubishi or Mazda and then Ameruka will know if the engine doesn't smoke shisha. lipsrsealed

LoL...also people don't know that engine varies
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by shortgun(m): 5:48am On Nov 21, 2019
rationalmind:

Whatever the manufacturer says, I do. I follow them religiously like a blind man cheesy

But ur manufacturer also said u should use premium unleaded fuel grin grin grin grin
Maybe u r not following blindly on that one cos it's boldly stated premium unleaded fuel (Required)
The truth remains that doesn't matter if u use palm oil or jet engine oil as lubricants..ur car will still give in to wear n tear and depreciate like my brother AmuDimpka will say.
Just like someone said: it's your car,u decide what you do with it.
But I have a problem with people who think they know it all and must tell others the "right" ways to use their cars.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by oluwaseunla(m): 6:34am On Nov 21, 2019
shortgun:

But ur manufacturer also said u should use premium unleaded fuel grin grin grin grin
Maybe u r not following blindly on that one cos it's boldly stated premium unleaded fuel (Required)
The truth remains that doesn't matter if u use palm oil or jet engine oil as lubricants..ur car will still give in to wear n tear and depreciate like my brother AmuDimpka will say.
Just like someone said: it's your car,u decide what you do with it.
But I have a problem with people who think they know it all and must tell others the "right" ways to use their cars.

Not all cars recommend premium unleaded fuel. For those that do, there are consequences of not using it. I know because I have a Nissan that recommends minimum of 91 RON, of course it is not available here. Guess what, my knock sensor get bad within 3-4 months of use. My point is there are consequences for not following manufacturer's recommendations, no matter how little. Those little consequences can now snowball into major issues in the long run.

All engines have wear and tear from use, yes. But use of the right fluids is going to greatly reduce that wear and tear, for example, using coolant instead of water slows down the spread of corrosion in your cooling system.

There are cars that are on 5W-30, and are already over 300,000km, no oil shorts. That our 99 Avensis comes to mind. Stop wallowing in ignorance.

I'm not convincing you to use the right fluids, but stop selling falsehood as facts.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 6:44am On Nov 21, 2019
oluwaseunla:

Not all cars recommend premium unleaded fuel. For those that do, there are consequences of not using it. I know because I have a Nissan that recommends minimum of 91 RON, of course it is not available here. Guess what, my knock sensor get bad within 3-4 months of use. My point is there are consequences for not following manufacturer's recommendations, no matter how little. Those little consequences can now snowball into major issues in the long run.

All engines have wear and tear from use, yes. But use of the right fluids is going to greatly reduce that wear and tear, for example, using coolant instead of water slows down the spread of corrosion in your cooling system.

There are cars that are on 5W-30, and are already over 300,000km, no oil shorts. That our 99 Avensis comes to mind. Stop wallowing in ignorance.

I'm not convincing you to use the right fluids, but stop selling falsehood as facts.

I've given up on those guys, tbh. No point trying to talk to them.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by AmuDimpka: 7:09am On Nov 21, 2019
oluwaseunla:

99 Avensis...that one Na grand father! That car should be totalled if it was in USA ...the engine has seen the greater part of the day ...my take is simple . ..don't make it look as if Mobil 1 is the best ans beside that factor climatic conditions also...it's not the type of oil you use in Alaska is the one you use in Nebraska or Jeddah or even Lagos

So that is the take and factor depreciation and wears
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by shortgun(m): 7:15am On Nov 21, 2019
oluwaseunla:

Not falsehood brother but common sense.
When u get to that point in life where u realize that somethings will never be in ur control... that's when u start to be mature.
Following the manufacturers recommendations (fully)is out our control we must use our heads to keep the cars running.
It doesn't make any sense to use expensive probably fake oil on a vehicle that is more than 10yrs old when u know that u can't follow all d manufacturers recommendations.
It is hypocrisy when u follow recommended oil and not follow (required) fuel type
Using d wrong type of fuel for any car will do more harm to the vehicle than non recommended lubricants.
The primary purpose of engine oils is to lubricate moving parts in a vehicle...most oils will do this.
Any oil u use to service ur vehicle..u will still need another car in the future.
Even the manufacturers are not perfect....this is why u have recalls.
Whatever works for u follow it, don't say u r right and I am wrong.

2 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by thebigkendo(m): 7:40am On Nov 21, 2019
AmuDimpka:

It can be funny when you see people dribjg 2005 - 2010 cars shouting Mobil 1 up and down and Mobil salesmen and smart mechanic would be reaping them off... They don't even know the types of oils from synthetic to semi synthetic oil

Once in a while we tell th their folly

Dru23 please come & end this argument for us with your "facts" & parables
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by AmuDimpka: 7:45am On Nov 21, 2019
thebigkendo:

Dru23 please come & end this argument for us with your "facts" & parables

Oga this is simple engineering, science and physics not some dru stuff that needs parable

Physics 101

(1) (2) (3) ... (281) (282) (283) (284) (285) (286) (287) ... (546) (Reply)

Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.