Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,103 members, 7,814,875 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:39 PM

Mercedes Benz Thread - Car Talk (286) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Mercedes Benz Thread (967538 Views)

Photo: Mercedes Benz Vs Audi / Mercedes Benz Releases Details On 9G Tronic Nine Speed Auto / The Life Cycle Of The Mercedes Benz ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (283) (284) (285) (286) (287) (288) (289) ... (546) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Midoda: 2:08pm On Nov 21, 2019
shortgun:

Use whatever oil u want but don't say I misinform people here cos I use the same oil myself and my cars are still running strong after many years.
I don't blame u guys cos there was a time people believed that the earth was flat.
Here is what the British parliament said about Light bulbs b4 it was invented by Edison.

"A British Parliament Committee noted in 1878 that Edison's light bulb was "good enough for our Transatlantic friends... but unworthy of the attention of practical or scientific men."
So many facts today will no longer be facts tomorrow.
I am not forcing anyone to use the type of oil that am using...am only trying to help humanity without a fee.

Bros open your engine top cover lets see before we go to compression and economy.

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by 9icetoo(m): 2:12pm On Nov 21, 2019
AmuDimpka:

Tell them ... I would snap the oil I use for my ML and C class... Not Mobil 1 and no wahala... Engine runs smooth... Never opened the engine for one day
You will be in for a pleasant surprise the day you do. wink

3 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by banky3w(m): 2:20pm On Nov 21, 2019
AmuDimpka:

Tell the world the senisible thing... sir ! We hope to tap from you .... Don't tell us Mobil 1 gospel

You would be preaching to the wrong crowd ... I have driven two benz... I grew up with benz and I talk from experience... Pops never used Mobil 1 for 230 flatboot, I never used for C class and I am not using for my ML... I haven't opened my engine and car hasn't had any engine engine issue ... I am talking over 13 years now... Different models

So what is it that you have to say again. ?
I give up on you.

5 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by shortgun(m): 2:22pm On Nov 21, 2019
Midoda:

Bros open your engine top cover lets see before we go to compression and economy.
grin grin grin
I will just go and open my engine? Just like that?
Guy try another trick grin
I won't open cos it's not broken.. thank you

5 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by AshipaEk0: 2:48pm On Nov 21, 2019
oluwaseunla:

All engines have wear and tear from use, yes. But use of the right fluids is going to greatly reduce that wear and tear, for example, using coolant instead of water slows down the spread of corrosion in your cooling system.

There are cars that are on 5W-30, and are already over 300,000km, no oil shorts. That our 99 Avensis comes to mind. Stop wallowing in ignorance.

I'm not convincing you to use the right fluids, but stop selling falsehood as facts.

I have one on 251,000 miles. Thats 403,945 kilometers
I still use 5W30 Fully synthetic

There's zero engine/mechanical problems. no compression loss. not even blocked valves

I've stopped having these oil conversations. there's really no need.

As you can see, the new one is that the manufacturer used to be ignorant and was prescribing the wrong oil, but these ones in their infinite wisdom know the right oil is 20w50 mineral oil grin grin grin

what I've taken away from these exchanges is to never ever buy a Nigerian used vehicle unless I personally know the owner and his maintenance choices

4 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by banky3w(m): 2:52pm On Nov 21, 2019
shortgun:

U see the problem with most people is they like to follow the guidelines, they like the rules they are caged by the regulations, they like the norm and will never do anything out the norm.
This is 2019 not 2001.
Car manufacturers are learning things we knew long ago.
That ur 5w20 oil is outdated, manufacturers will not recommend that oil today.

The recommended oils for a 2018 Mercedes Benz c class is 0w40 and 5w50 oils, while d recommended oil for 2002 C class is 5w30....notice how the number after the W have increased over d years.... cheesy

Some of you think the lower the number the better but the manufacturer you claim to follow have moved up to higher numbers but you still choose to remain on one spot shouting Mobil 1 5w30 everywhere up n down grin grin grin
He that doesn't know and claim he knows is a danger to himself and others.
If you like follow wisdom.

So by your logic, if I use a 2001 Mercedes benz that the manufacturer said I should use 5w-30 for the engine and now that the manufacturer has moved to 0W-40 or 5W-50. It means I should automatically switch to the newer oil grade that the manufacturer has now moved to abi? All what you wrote up there is just like the rest of your epistle. Trash!

3 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by shortgun(m): 3:18pm On Nov 21, 2019
banky3w:

So by your logic, if I use a 2001 Mercedes benz that the manufacturer said I should use 5w-30 for the engine and now that the manufacturer has moved to 0W-40 or 5W-50. It means I should automatically switch to the newer oil grade that the manufacturer has now moved to abi? All what you wrote up there is just like the rest of your epistle. Trash!
Do you know why manufacturers issue Recalls?
It's because what they thought was best for their vehicles at a given time Failed or it was discovered not to work grin grin grin
That is after ;
All the Tests,
Certifications,
Quality checks
Endorsements e.t.c
By men and women knows it all in their fields.
At the end..it failed,they all failed cheesy

2. Do you know why manufacturers discontinue parts, specifications, components and models?
It's because they found a better way of doing same thing.
There's a new discovery.
This shows that even the manufacturers don't know it all.
Don't believe everything you are told Son.

I will still not blame u if u don't understand these things I speak about..they are beyond the mental comprehension of the average man.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Midoda: 7:53pm On Nov 21, 2019
shortgun:

grin grin grin
I will just go and open my engine? Just like that?
Guy try another trick grin
I won't open cos it's not broken.. thank you
I said "top cover" so we see the amount of sludge you are feeding
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by shortgun(m): 8:51pm On Nov 21, 2019
Midoda:

I said "top cover" so we see the amount of sludge you are feeding
This is another lie that has been told many times it now appears as the truth.
Type of engine oil u use doesn't create sludge in your engine.
The major things that creates sludge in an engine is mainly.
1.Not changing ur oil when due.
2. Driving mostly short distances.

Thank you

2 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by zubike01(m): 9:10pm On Nov 21, 2019
Eddee:

Imho newer is better in every ramification. (fun fact, do you know that the w211's parts are more expensive than the w204's? That alone should help you make up your mind given your budget constraints - HeavenlyBang and Nurey over to you

Really e350 parts are more expensive than c300 . Hmmm how much more expensive.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by zubike01(m): 9:18pm On Nov 21, 2019
sacramento1212:

My own opinion, if i must do a w204 C300, it will be from 2010 and above. The 2008 suffered EIS failure which is an expensive repair if it fails except you are lucky though.

As for the 2007 E350, I love the matured look and when compared to the 2008 C300, it will definitely be my choice but it's more expensive to maintain than the C300.

Thanks baba as for the EIS problems that one can be solved by getting a spare key. When you guys talk about expensive maintenance do you mean it’s parts are more expensive
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by sacramento1212: 9:22pm On Nov 21, 2019
zubike01:

Thanks baba as for the EIS problems that one can be solved by getting a spare key. When you guys talk about expensive maintenance do you mean it’s parts are more expensive

Spare key? It's not only a key problem as i was made to understand. It entails more.

Yes, the E Class will be more expensive to maintain than the C.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by zubike01(m): 9:28pm On Nov 21, 2019
HeavenlyBang:

W204, definitely. Just try and get a fully loaded one.

Get a C350 if possible. Much better car.

I agree that the aluminium trim interior cheapens the c300 to be honest. But Minus the the panoramic roof and the maple trim interior what makes it a better car than the c300.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by mammanbawa: 9:35pm On Nov 21, 2019
People are very foolish sha
This oil thing
I have stories
I argued it out on this platform sometime back
And I was defending 20w50
What was I?
A big fool
People that create things and give recommendations are not stupid
If your recommended oil is 1 and you stick to it
Your engine will never fail as long as you use it
No matter the mileage
There are few exceptions in some models that showed signs of oil burning after a certain amount of miles
Aside that, manufacturers spec will never fail you
20w50 on the other hand has never failed me, but I'm switching to manufacturers spec whenever I get a new car
I can't do that now cos the harm has been done
Doesn't mean I should use it all through and insult every other person with a contrary opinion
Person go just dey misfire anyhow dey defend nonsense
My engine steams in the morning despite using 20w50
But I'm 100 percent sure there's sludge
Which is why I'll not switch to manufacturers spec

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by jayboy007(m): 9:38pm On Nov 21, 2019
Eddee:

I know a spare parts dealer who recently butchered one. If location of Bedwell, Calabar isn't a problem. Mention me on a dead thread and I'll give you his number or better still send a pm and I'll respond with his phone number.
sent u a pm
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 10:42pm On Nov 21, 2019
sacramento1212:

Spare key? It's not only a key problem as i was made to understand. It entails more.

Yes, the E Class will be more expensive to maintain than the C.
not always true
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by AmuDimpka: 11:10pm On Nov 21, 2019
banky3w:

I give up on you.

Never again must you call me an idiot or stúpid...what is wrong with you guys...even if you don't agree with me ..must you show insolence

5 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Eddee(m): 11:16pm On Nov 21, 2019
jayboy007:
sent u a pm

Responded with the required information.

zubike01:

Really e350 parts are more expensive than c300 . Hmmm how much more expensive.

Marginally. The w211 is an old car.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by eagle13(m): 11:49pm On Nov 21, 2019
ibbabah:

All you need is a new brain box. The brain box is very much available. The brain box of my C230 also had issue two months ago, so I got a new one and the coding was done. My car now rides smoothly without any further issue.
thanks brother,how much did u get that pls,I paid 40k as demanded by d rewire he keeps giving me stories that it doesn't match.he has returned it more than three times now,it's really frustrating.

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by BUTTERMILKSUGAR(m): 2:27am On Nov 22, 2019
Midoda:

lol
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by theoilguy: 4:48am On Nov 22, 2019
We have Mobil 1 extended performance 5w20, 5w30 USA imports at 17,000 naira..

We also have Castrol extended performance 5w20, 5w30, 0w20 at 18,500.

Thank you all
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by AmuDimpka: 6:36am On Nov 22, 2019
eagle13:
thanks brother,how much did u get that pls,I paid 40k as demanded by d rewire he keeps giving me stories that it doesn't match.he has returned it more than three times now,it's really frustrating.

That rewire is a scam! Tell him to take your key and code it to the brain box normally it shouldn't match until you code it and make your car see it
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by pluggedinn(m): 9:56am On Nov 22, 2019
Please add 08060784869

ibbabah:

U have been added.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Freciprocal: 5:26pm On Nov 22, 2019
AmuDimpka:

Oga I just said the obvious and simple mechanic rules but if you want to drive your car with Mobil 1 , groundnut oil, oilive oil that one na your car and your money

But it is funny that here people are using engine oil designed for temperate climes... Dude if your engine is above 100,000 km .. it has seen better days and you must also use high mileage oil... It depends if you want to stick to any oil.

I no fit shout

How about a 2010 car with 56km milage... What do u recommend?
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Eddee(m): 6:00pm On Nov 22, 2019
Freciprocal:

Why you just want set am up? grin grin Anyway banky3w give dis bros Mobil 3
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Freciprocal: 7:32pm On Nov 22, 2019
Eddee:

Why you just want set am up? grin grin Anyway banky3w give dis bros Mobil 3

No be set up... There is a car I know of that a lady in lekki has... A 2010 VW Jetta, it has never left Lagos. It was bought brand new in 2010.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 8:18pm On Nov 22, 2019
price?

Freciprocal:

No be set up... There is a car I know of that a lady in lekki has... A 2010 VW Jetta, it has never left Lagos. It was bought brand new in 2010.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Philadelphia: 8:21pm On Nov 22, 2019
Freciprocal:

Palm oil
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Philadelphia: 8:22pm On Nov 22, 2019
Freciprocal:

Palm oil
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by AmuDimpka: 9:02pm On Nov 22, 2019
Freciprocal:

Well the required engine oil would do ....
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by banky3w(m): 11:10pm On Nov 22, 2019
AmuDimpka:

Bros, are you sure? A 9 years old car engine in lagos traffic has used up its optimal years and not to talk of wear and tear and the physics in the science of VW engines. That engine has seen better years oh. Mobil 3 is recommended with 40W-70 since lagos weather is within that range.

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Freciprocal: 7:22am On Nov 23, 2019
AmuDimpka:

That was why I asked you.

My question is, does just the age of the vehicle matter or u also factor the usage when selecting your oil?

(1) (2) (3) ... (283) (284) (285) (286) (287) (288) (289) ... (546) (Reply)

Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.