Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,728 members, 7,851,493 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 08:41 PM

Bombshell: South West Betrayed Awolowo In 1979-balarabe Musa - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bombshell: South West Betrayed Awolowo In 1979-balarabe Musa (1578 Views)

HID Awolowo Was Buried Beside Her Husband, Chief Obafemi Awolowo In Ikene (Pics) / See A Photo Of N1 Note That Was Used In 1979 When $1 Was Equal To N0.647 / Ministerial List: I Am Disappointed, Says Balarabe Musa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bombshell: South West Betrayed Awolowo In 1979-balarabe Musa by AkinEgba: 12:48am On Sep 26, 2010
What do you foresee as Jonathan has discarded zoning?

If the zoning is discarded, it practically means the North will continue to rule.

How will that happen?

Ok, let us go back to what gave birth to zoning. It is because the North dominated the presidency simply because of its number and its capacity to manage the federal character of the country. Let me tell you what happened. In 1978, the South, I mean the core South, decided that presidency should go to the North. Do you know why? Let me tell you, it is because the southern bourgeoisie saw the prospect of being rich because of the oil and they didn’t want the military to come back and deny them that opportunity to make money out of the oil, as it was all over the nation. They reckoned that to prevent the military from coming back, they needed a northerner to be the president. Do you know why? It is because they knew that a northerner has a greater political base than any other region to restrain the military from taking over. What happened was that the South forgot the dichotomy between the North and South. So, the South West and the South East, in particular, felt that the North must have the presidency.

And they brought a northerner that even the North would not reckon with. The South West, in particular, using its media, campaigned for Shehu Shagari, [/b]who didn’t see himself being anything more than a local government chairman. [b]They made him beat Awolowo. The South West media ran down Awolow; the rich and powerful people of the South West ran down Awolowo to favour Shagari; the election was rigged in favour of Shagari.

We ought to have gone to a second ballot, as Shagari didn’t qualify, according to the constitution, but Richard Akinjide and his loyalists from the South West went to court and produced a two-third majority made in the court, which made Shagari president. In fact, what should have happened was a run-off between Shagari and Awolowo and Awolowo would have beaten Shagari because even the North would have voted for Awolowo because they knew Shagari could not make it. It could have also been a run-off between Waziri Ibrahim and Shagari, but instead of that, Obasanjo installed Shagari and the North East, South West, and the South East agreed because it was the decision of the South West bourgeoisie that let us put this man who has the constituency to restrain the military and who we can use because he didn’t have the intellectual capacity or something like it. The southern bourgeoisie didn’t want the like of Adamu Ciroma, Maitama Sule because they were intellectuals. Before this happened in the 50s, didn’t we have a situation whereby, because of the problem, Zik and Tafawa Balewa were fighting. Zik refused to recognise Shagari, but because of lobbying by the South West, Zik had to withdraw his objection and Shagari became the president. When it suited them, didn’t the South East and the North conspire to bring a state of emergency in the West? Didn’t they conspire to bring out Midwest from the West? So, this question of bargaining for power within different regions of the country has been going on over time. The articulation of it is this zoning.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2010/sept/25/national-25-09-2010-001.htm
Re: Bombshell: South West Betrayed Awolowo In 1979-balarabe Musa by AkinEgba: 2:22am On Sep 26, 2010
I thought that the saying that it is those who know you you should beware of most was a ruse. Now I know better. My brothers just betrayed one of our own for a pot of northern porridge. But again similar betrayal of MKO speaks volume of human nature.
Re: Bombshell: South West Betrayed Awolowo In 1979-balarabe Musa by sbeezy8: 4:49am On Sep 26, 2010
SW didnt betray Awolowo akin egba Meuxkss ODE!- Mko abiola and his likes were always against Awolowo, so there nothing to betray!- Its a welcomed development from what ive been told Awos methods werent always right esp in naijas enviroment! which is ok wit me

I like that though akintola and co . . . Yoruba folks cannot have one leader to follow like mumus NO, I dont like that style of politics.

And from what I gather from Old yoruba folks Awo was the premier of the West NOT THE LEADER OF YORUBA PEEPS!

[size=17pt]ie. I like how balarbe Musa likes to exalt yoruba elite as running things in Naija- Ive always heard that it was mko abiola who was the strongest opposition to Awolowo being president. so I find satisfaction in knowing that Awo could have been president EASILY if it wasnt for the clown Mko.[/size]
Re: Bombshell: South West Betrayed Awolowo In 1979-balarabe Musa by sbeezy8: 4:49am On Sep 26, 2010
Candidate (Party)
Number of Votes
% of Votes

Shehu Shagari (NPN)
33.77%

[size=13pt]Obafemi Awolowo (UPN)
29.18%[/size]
grin grin

Nnamdi Azikiwe (NPP)
16.75%

Aminu Kano (PRP)
10.28%

Waziri Ibrahim (GNPP)
10.02%
Re: Bombshell: South West Betrayed Awolowo In 1979-balarabe Musa by sbeezy8: 4:52am On Sep 26, 2010
^^^^^^^^
I love naija mehn no need for zoning for the West.
Re: Bombshell: South West Betrayed Awolowo In 1979-balarabe Musa by AkinEgba: 5:14am On Sep 26, 2010
^^^^
You like Balarabe Musa but you hate the truth he spoke that the SW betrayed Awo? Mumu dey worry you?
Who you dey call meuxkss? Abi nkan se o lori ni? Olori i bu!!

In that election Awo was the only one from the SW, while 3 were from the North and Ekwueme from the SE was Shagari's VP and divided ibo vote between shagari and Zik. If we go by tribe for tribe, nobody can be Nigerian president because you need vote from other regions.
Re: Bombshell: South West Betrayed Awolowo In 1979-balarabe Musa by Nobody: 5:39am On Sep 26, 2010
Akin-Egba:

^^^^
You like Balarabe Musa but you hate the truth he spoke that the SW betrayed Awo? Mumu dey worry you?

In that election Awo was the only one from the SW, while 3 were from the North and Ekwueme from the SE was Shagari's VP and divided ibo vote between shagari and Zik. If we go by tribe for tribe, nobody can be Nigerian president because you need vote from other regions.

why are you sounding like an unlearned person,you have just read and interview and you know better,is that how you arrive at your judgements.If you listen to other people speak you will get confused.He his talking trash.The Nigerdelat people deserve to be president of Nigeria,they have contributed and they are still contributing almost 90% to the national purse .But you say zoning when is there turn nonsense
Re: Bombshell: South West Betrayed Awolowo In 1979-balarabe Musa by Nobody: 5:43am On Sep 26, 2010
Awolowo wanted to fight corruption and probe treasury looters which would have sent many to jail including obasonjo,but they ganged up against him and denied him,it was all because of corruption .
Re: Bombshell: South West Betrayed Awolowo In 1979-balarabe Musa by sbeezy8: 6:16am On Sep 26, 2010
Akin-Egba:

^^^^

you are a veryyy ST PID fellow I can careless who betrayed who and who didnt. Saying th SW betrayed Awo is the dumbest statement ever obviouslty the general yoruba people voted for him and that all that matters. and no one betrayed Awolowo HE ALWAYS HAD OPPOSITION so what d fuq are you saying.

I dont give shiot about getting votes in other regions or not. Afterall Yorubas are chilling! SO NO ZONING. Every election where there is a GOOD yoruba candidate we will vote for him!- akin egba mexkXXXX you can do the sam if you want GO HEAD

NO ZONING!
Re: Bombshell: South West Betrayed Awolowo In 1979-balarabe Musa by Nobody: 6:18am On Sep 26, 2010
A few powerful Yorubas did not support Awolowo and that somehow translates to SW betraying Awolowo? What is democracy all about? Must people always support a candidate based on tribal sentiments?
And you wonder why Nigeria is so screwed up!!
Re: Bombshell: South West Betrayed Awolowo In 1979-balarabe Musa by AkinEgba: 6:27am On Sep 26, 2010
sbeezy8:

you are a veryyy ST PID fellow I can careless who betrayed who and who didnt. Saying th SW betrayed Awo is the dumbest statement ever obviouslty the general yoruba people voted for him and that all that matters. and no one betrayed Awolowo HE ALWAYS HAD OPPOSITION so what d fuq are you saying.

I dont give shiot about getting votes in other regions or not. Afterall Yorubas are chilling! SO NO ZONING. Every election where there is a GOOD yoruba candidate we will vote for him!- akin egba mexkXXXX you can do the sam if you want GO HEAD

NO ZONING!

Oponu. Lets see how our candidate can win without other regions vote. Na you papa be mexkXXXX
Re: Bombshell: South West Betrayed Awolowo In 1979-balarabe Musa by sbeezy8: 6:32am On Sep 26, 2010
Akin-Egba:

Okponu. Lets see how our candidate can win without other regions vote. Na you papa be mexkXXXX

Ode are you blind? I said that I dont care if a yoruba wins or not But voting for a  mediocre northerner or easterners is out of the question. You blind fool you no get Job- are you unemployed?

collecting unemployment checks abi? you dey feel big Bass tard
Re: Bombshell: South West Betrayed Awolowo In 1979-balarabe Musa by Nobody: 6:40am On Sep 26, 2010
Akin-Egba:

Okponu. Lets see how our candidate can win without other regions vote. Na you papa be mexkXXXX

Akin-Egba, the only Yoruba who would spell oponu as okponu. Just like Okpara, Okparaji etc. Nothin do you o, my "yoruba" broda.
Re: Bombshell: South West Betrayed Awolowo In 1979-balarabe Musa by chyz(m): 6:52am On Sep 26, 2010
I've noticed how yorubas are never attracted to their own threads but jump on bandwagons to come discuss about another tribe's successes or problems.
Re: Bombshell: South West Betrayed Awolowo In 1979-balarabe Musa by sbeezy8: 6:59am On Sep 26, 2010
Aigbofa:

Akin-Egba, the only Yoruba who would spell oponu as okponu. Just like Okpara, Okparaji etc. Nothin do you o, my "yoruba" broda.

lol

last post on this lame thread.
full of lies and misleading title.
Re: Bombshell: South West Betrayed Awolowo In 1979-balarabe Musa by revomind(m): 7:01am On Sep 26, 2010
Akin-Egba:

What do you foresee as Jonathan has discarded zoning?

If the zoning is discarded, it practically means the North will continue to rule.

How will that happen?

Ok, let us go back to what gave birth to zoning. It is because the North dominated the presidency simply because of its number and its capacity to manage the federal character of the country. Let me tell you what happened. In 1978, the South, I mean the core South, decided that presidency should go to the North. Do you know why? Let me tell you, it is because the southern bourgeoisie saw the prospect of being rich because of the oil and they didn’t want the military to come back and deny them that opportunity to make money out of the oil, as it was all over the nation. They reckoned that to prevent the military from coming back, they needed a northerner to be the president. Do you know why? It is because they knew that a northerner has a greater political base than any other region to restrain the military from taking over. What happened was that the South forgot the dichotomy between the North and South. So, the South West and the South East, in particular, felt that the North must have the presidency.

And they brought a northerner that even the North would not reckon with. The South West, in particular, using its media, campaigned for Shehu Shagari, [/b]who didn’t see himself being anything more than a local government chairman. [b]They made him beat Awolowo. The South West media ran down Awolow; the rich and powerful people of the South West ran down Awolowo to favour Shagari; the election was rigged in favour of Shagari.

We ought to have gone to a second ballot, as Shagari didn’t qualify, according to the constitution, but Richard Akinjide and his loyalists from the South West went to court and produced a two-third majority made in the court, which made Shagari president. In fact, what should have happened was a run-off between Shagari and Awolowo and Awolowo would have beaten Shagari because even the North would have voted for Awolowo because they knew Shagari could not make it. It could have also been a run-off between Waziri Ibrahim and Shagari, but instead of that, Obasanjo installed Shagari and the North East, South West, and the South East agreed because it was the decision of the South West bourgeoisie that let us put this man who has the constituency to restrain the military and who we can use because he didn’t have the intellectual capacity or something like it. The southern bourgeoisie didn’t want the like of Adamu Ciroma, Maitama Sule because they were intellectuals. Before this happened in the 50s, didn’t we have a situation whereby, because of the problem, Zik and Tafawa Balewa were fighting. Zik refused to recognise Shagari, but because of lobbying by the South West, Zik had to withdraw his objection and Shagari became the president. When it suited them, didn’t the South East and the North conspire to bring a state of emergency in the West? Didn’t they conspire to bring out Midwest from the West? So, this question of bargaining for power within different regions of the country has been going on over time. The articulation of it is this zoning.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2010/sept/25/national-25-09-2010-001.htm

Balarabe Musa seems to have real beef with the South West. His attitude of trying to pin every singular misfortune on the people of the South West is quite unfortunate but then it is to be expected from an average educated Northerner.

So, a section of the Yoruba elites did not support Awo translates to 'the people of the South West'? These are obvious loopholes in his argument:

1. If the majority of the Yoruba people (as he claims in essence) did not support Awo, how come Awo's party swept the SouthWest plus Bendel?

2. What is the South West media? The biggest paper in the South west then and one of the biggest now is the Tribune, owned by Awo. I'd like to believe that a region or ethnicity can only be regarded as controlling the media when people from that region own the news outlet, not when it is based in that region or its staff is dominated by people from that region.

3. By referring to zoning as an example of collaboration between different sections of the country, he compared it to the excision of the midwest from the west without similar moves in the north and east replete with minorities too. That is a very poor one from a man some people would regard as a statesman.

4. That theory some Northern elements and their southern collaborators that should the pdp abandon zoning, power would not leave the north in the future is a fat lie. If it were true, they especially those outside pdp wouldn't be bothered.
Re: Bombshell: South West Betrayed Awolowo In 1979-balarabe Musa by AkinEgba: 5:56pm On Sep 26, 2010
Aigbofa:

Ode. Typo no dey your dictionary? Omo ewure.

(1) (Reply)

Will Jonathan Ever get The Bomb Suspects? / Another Nigerian National Anthem? / Greatest Nigeria! GEJ Banned From Travelling Out Of Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.