Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,176 members, 7,829,213 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 09:41 PM

The Traditions Of Origin Of Ora People In Edo State - Culture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Traditions Of Origin Of Ora People In Edo State (34681 Views)

Pictures From Igbo-Ora Twins Festival 2022 / Why Ora People Don't Bow To Oba Of Benin / 7 Interesting Wedding Traditions That Are Peculiar To Different Countries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Traditions Of Origin Of Ora People In Edo State by goalernestman: 2:59pm On May 29, 2019
Atigba:

No ogiso children's went to ife to ask for a ruler, you can believe whatever you want. Oduduwa was long dead, the people they went to meet in Ife is Orominyan.

There were so many Ogisos children to have rule Benin. Are you telling me they went to Ife to ask for a leader, people who have no knowledge of our culture. That is ridiculous.

The last Ogiso Awodo was childless.
They lied Oduduwa was exiled in igodomigodo land, how can you exiled your only son. Does that make sense.

No ogiso children's went to ife to ask for a ruler, you can believe whatever you want. Oduduwa was long dead, the people they went to meet in Ife is Orominyan

Ogiso children went to ife to orominyan to beg for a ruler or oromyan came to Benin and wage war against them. Which are you saying now?

Are you confused I just want to believe fact bro nd you are not saying a straight story

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Traditions Of Origin Of Ora People In Edo State by Samcullimore: 9:38pm On May 29, 2019
It is completely false! Ora people are descendant from Bini and share common ancestors with the Binis
Ifon, ijagba,imoru etc all have edroid ancestry. Sobe is now part of Edo. We have told the people of Ijagba to start calling themselves edo. Specifically children of owan from Owan west LGA

YourNemesis:
My bestie is from Uzebba, in Iuleha.

Very cool people. Ora are almost like half Ishan, half Ondo Yoruba in everything.

1 Like

Re: The Traditions Of Origin Of Ora People In Edo State by Samcullimore: 9:45pm On May 29, 2019
Ozalla is Ora. They speak the Ora Language and they are among the 11 clans that makes up Owan west and Owan East LGA of Edo State. All 11 clans are predominantly Ora , Emai etc of which 10 of the Clans share common ancestors with the binis.

Yeah they are located between Iruekpen & Uhonmora.

I am Ora Man from Eme-Ora.

sniper77:

No. They are located between Iruekpen and Uhonmora

2 Likes

Re: The Traditions Of Origin Of Ora People In Edo State by YourNemesis: 9:17am On May 30, 2019
Samcullimore:
It is completely false! Ora people are descendant from Bini and share common ancestors with the Binis
Ifon, ijagba,imoru etc all have edroid ancestry. Sobe is now part of Edo. We have told the people of Ijagba to start calling themselves edo. Specifically children of owan from Owan west LGA

I didn’t say Oras are not decended from Bini or Edo. Read my remarks properly and don’t start off by being super defensive over a simple issue.
I know Ora towns that still claim descent from Ife, but that is not the point.

Ifon omiima and Imoru are not Owan, they are Owos and Yoruba therefore...
All the villages in that area including Ute, Ikaro and Arimogija are Yorubas. Ijagba is the only village in Ondo state that can be successfully argued to be of Edo srock.

And they already call themselves Edo people anyway.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: The Traditions Of Origin Of Ora People In Edo State by sniper77(m): 4:50pm On May 30, 2019
Samcullimore:
Ozalla is Ora. They speak the Ora Language and they are among the 11 clans that makes up Owan west and Owan East LGA of Edo State. All 11 clans are predominantly Ora , Emai etc of which 10 of the Clans share common ancestors with the binis.

That i acknowledged to Luadate that the history of ozalla people can be traced to Ora if you had checked my earlier post.

My emphasis was on the children of Ora Ekpen that make up the six clans of ora.

Its nice to know you are from Eme-Ora .

I am from Evbiobe-Ora.

1 Like

Re: The Traditions Of Origin Of Ora People In Edo State by laudate: 9:04am On Jun 02, 2019
YourNemesis:

First, I didn't even say muslims were 12.3% in Ekiti I said Mslm/Xtians were 20%/80% give or take~ which is more than fair and gives more than enough room for error, from what that data set suggests.
Secondly, I don't see any trend in Ekiti that would suggest otherwise.. i.e that between that time and now, muslims have tripled or rapidly accelerated in Ekiti while the cristians have diminished. From where? Christians are not converting to Islam en-masse in Ekiti. So, unless you are counting Ebira farmers as Ekiti indigenes (of which only a tiny revision would be required) I don't see anyway how.
Thirdly, I only posted the table because YOU asked to see it. You probably thought I was making it all up. Now I posted the table, you are recanting.

You keep saying the Muslims are more, but you aren't even quoting ANY figures nor showing any evidence to backup your claims other than words of mouth. I remember that thread that hit FP a while ago when that Ishaq Mumutola guy was spewing his usual religious supporter of APC garbage about Ekiti state, it was Ekiti people themselves that came there to set the records straight. One even went to the extent of saying that most Islamic families within Ekiti after serious scrutiny will in one way or the other be discovered to have some older origin from somewhere outside the state.
That might be untrue, but it just goes to show you what some Ekitis think about their state.

Oga, please go back and read what I said with some measure of understanding. I never said that you claimed Muslims in Ekiti were 12.3%. The 1963 census results you posted showed clearly in one of the tables, the figure of 12.3%, which I quoted. shocked

Secondly your claim of Muslims being 20% based on old census figures and your opinion, would no longer be valid if a proper census were to be conducted today.

Muslims practice polygamy based on their 4 wives tradition, which leads to a higher birth rate. Animists and traditionalists have also converted to Islam, the same way some of them have converted to Christianity. undecided

The same Ishaq Mumutola guy you quoted who claimed Muslims were 40% in Ekiti, made some comments that generated controversy in the state. You had people coming out to say he was wrong, while there were others who believed the estimates of 40% were right. sad

I have not recanted anything. I still maintain that the population of Muslims in Ekiti is greater than your 20%. Free your mind and do a quick survey of the current situation in Ekiti. Especially during Muslim festivals and fasting period. Then you will see that the 20% ratio that you are still postulating, is no longer valid. undecided
Re: The Traditions Of Origin Of Ora People In Edo State by laudate: 9:18am On Jun 02, 2019
Samcullimore:

Thank you, oh! May you live long. Who was the clown that was arguing with me earlier, that Ozalla people are not Ora? shocked
Re: The Traditions Of Origin Of Ora People In Edo State by RuggedSniper: 9:33pm On Nov 02, 2020
sniper77:

The hausas who came to reside there named it sabongida Ora.A new place to dwell.The usual sabos they have in different parts of the country.The town is known as Evbiobe Ora

1 Share

Re: The Traditions Of Origin Of Ora People In Edo State by RuggedSniper: 11:30pm On Nov 02, 2020
YourNemesis:

Thanks for asking.
By 'Half Ondo', it literally means just as it sounds. They are halfway between Esans and Ondo Yorubas culturally.
Sobe was even formerly in Ondo state but was later on transferred to Edo. Arimogija and Ijagba (Uzagba) are still in Ondo, Uzebba, Otuo, Ikhin, Okpuje etc on the other hand are in Edo but are like Ishan-Yoruba mixes in everything.

1 Share

Re: The Traditions Of Origin Of Ora People In Edo State by RuggedSniper: 11:44pm On Nov 02, 2020
YourNemesis:

Linguistically they speak Emai, Otwa, Ora etc and other edoid micro dialects, although some can be heavily laden with Yoruba words. like in Otuo or in Sobe.
The cuisine border isn't as sharp between Edo and Ondo to begin with, they both have a thing called black soup, egusi and pounded yam is always a staple... not the amala ish though~ that is the 'Oyo type' of Yoruba., other general meals are the same , except those I don't know of. They are quite SW/Yoruba-philic, except for a few that hv spent their entire lives in places like Port Harcourt. Dele Momodu is a native of Ihievbe but claims SW. Olusegun Aganga former minister is also Owan, people don't even know.

WORD!

1 Share

Re: The Traditions Of Origin Of Ora People In Edo State by silverlinen(m): 11:35pm On Nov 05, 2020
mikmabray
Iuleha to the core
Link up

PEACE
Re: The Traditions Of Origin Of Ora People In Edo State by Etrusen(m): 6:13am On Nov 06, 2020
Atigba:

How old are you?

How is Ogun a Benin man, Ogun is Orisha In Youruba land

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogun

The Yoruba even dedicated a state Ogun state to venerate their god.

Aye is a shrine in Ife... black azz or whatever they call it.

Oba Akenzua brought Aye to Benin to kill our people

Your present Oba is an aye man, infact their end of year party is head in his house in GRA.

I have been there.

my dear you are confuse to history

if you don't know what to say please stay quiet
Re: The Traditions Of Origin Of Ora People In Edo State by silverlinen(m): 11:18am On Jan 17, 2021
Edo no be Yoruba
Someone has got to tell this Afonja idiats that it's high time they stop meddling in our business

And to some folks who says the ogiso dynasty never existed...meen continue to delude yourself

Just like in ancient China where they've got different dynasties, that's how ogiso dynasty came and gave way to another dynasty

I am damn different from those cursed Afonja folks

And the word "OBA" is an alienic language to the Yorubas... long before the damn ile-ife existed, Benin has been...

The same Yoruba folks who claimed that their obatala was the creator of Yoruba land also claimed they migrated from isreal and therefore are Hebrews historically .... Damm a tribe full of deluded melts and superiority claims.

Too all IULEHA folks in the house....vba esse ooo

Follow CULTURAL FACTS on Facebook to get more historical knowledge...to all afonjas and idiatic elements

1 Like

Re: The Traditions Of Origin Of Ora People In Edo State by Omonayanoranmiy: 11:15am On Jun 11, 2022
Yoruba and Edo people are Ife people the difference is when Edo left Ife the tribe was not yet called Yoruba. Mind you earlier migrations was from Edo to Ife and subsequently back from Ife to Edo.
Re: The Traditions Of Origin Of Ora People In Edo State by Horbissesan98(m): 1:32pm On Aug 30, 2022
Atigba:

Oromiyan brought war to Igodomigodo land in 11.76AD, he was a warrior. The grandchild of Oduduwa.

According to our findings in the Portugal.. they gave Ife people guns. Before Oduduwa died, he gave his sons mandate to conquered territories. Orominyan was the one that came to Igodo.

He succeeded in capturing Usellu side, if you look very at Usen people. Ask them where their ancestors cames from.. these are some of the fighters that came with Orominyan. They are all Youruba from Ife.

This war led to mass migration from our land, alot of Ogiso children fled to different territories. Because the war lasted for around 13 years as we were told.

Ishan people ran away.. not all some of them like Uromi people and some Afema left Igodomigodo before Orominyan came.

Ikwere people ran away..
Idoma in Benue ran, Ilaje if the spelling is correct in Ondo state left.
Nembe people in bayelsa, the man that found Ogbia kingdom in bayelsa left. Ihoda in river state, Oguta people in Imo state left. Alot of our people fled to lagos... They are in Etiosa local government in Lagos state.

The onitsha people left Igodomigodo late, when Oba kingship was already established. They fled because they were using humans for sacrifice. Some are in Ghana, benin republic and Togo etc.

Orominyan was unable to enter the main city of igodo, with frustration he called the land ile ibinu.. land of vextation.. because he was resisted, Which the Portuguese corrupted to be Benin. And left to present day Oyo state, he brought war there and kill their people to take power. Go and read Oyo empire history.

Before Orominyan left he impregnated one of ogiso daughter in Ovia, that Usellu environment they captured. The girl later gave to Owomika corrupted to be Iweka the first.

Note some Youruba people he came with stays in Igodo land, they didn't return to Ife or with Orominyan to Oyo.

I can say about 40 percent of people calling themself Benin are Yoruba. Even the present Governor Obaseki is a Youruba from Ogun state.

I don't want to go into details of the peace treaty that was signed between Ogiso family and the Ife/ orominyan to stop the war, that created Oba stool in Igodomigodo.

Note Orominyan was the first Oba of Benin and the first Alafi of Oyo.. He later went back to his father's house in Ife to become the 6th Oni of Ife.

True facts bro

Re: The Traditions Of Origin Of Ora People In Edo State by UGBE634: 3:38am On Aug 31, 2022
YourNemesis:
My bestie is from Uzebba, in Iuleha.

Very cool people. Ora are almost like half Ishan, half Ondo Yoruba in everything.
No my son, they are like "full ishan"(edo) which is their true identity .

Calling them half ishan is derogatory and deprive them of their true identity. They are a branch, a unique branch of the Edo race, They are a reflection of the tribe Edo in a unique form. They should not be mistaken for their brother, ishan which alongside Bini, Etsako, Urhobo etc are brothers of the same paternal stock and each have evolved differently and have unique features of their father even as they share abundant similarities.

and half ondo which they borrowed as a result of their proximity to ondo

2 Likes

Re: The Traditions Of Origin Of Ora People In Edo State by UGBE634: 4:38am On Aug 31, 2022
YourNemesis:

Linguistically they speak Emai, Otwa, Ora etc and other edoid micro dialects, although some can be heavily laden with Yoruba words. like in Otuo or in Sobe.
The cuisine border isn't as sharp between Edo and Ondo to begin with, they both have a thing called black soup, egusi and pounded yam is always a staple... not the amala ish though~ that is the 'Oyo type' of Yoruba., other general meals are the same , except those I don't know of. They are quite sw/yoruba-philic, except for a few that hv spent their entire lives in places like Port Harcourt. Dele Momodu is a native of Ihievbe but claims SW. Olusegun aganga former minister is also Owan, people don't even know.

dele momodu and olusegun aganga are not examples. These guys grew up in yorubaland. They are both in their third generations. Use examples such as Solomon Ehigiator Arase the former inspector general of police ,pally Iriase from Otuo a very Proud Edo man, Julius Ihonvbere ,Aigbojie Imokhuede needs no introduction
. These are men who grew up and have strong affinity with their town. Tell me when they ever claim to be yorubas.

Black soup is a general Edo soup, including pounded yam and Egusi soup. That would not count to buttress your half ondo theory

Owans generally look like Edo people In stature and built.

2 Likes

Re: The Traditions Of Origin Of Ora People In Edo State by Usenokpevbo: 5:00am On Aug 31, 2022
YourNemesis:

I didn’t say Oras are not decended from Bini or Edo. Read my remarks properly and don’t start off by being super defensive over a simple issue.
I know Ora towns that still claim descent from Ife, but that is not the point.

Ifon omiima and Imoru are not Owan, they are Owos and Yoruba therefore...
All the villages in that area including Ute, Ikaro and Arimogija are Yorubas. Ijagba is the only village in Ondo state that can be successfully argued to be of Edo srock.

And they already call themselves Edo people anyway.
Even the Owo is not saved. Owo has been bastardized, it is an Edo yoruba mix now. The dialect Owo and the tone is heavily laced with Edo words and intonation. When you go there, the culture reflects Bini. The first time I stepped my foot in Owo, I felt I was in Benin. They have district like Uselu etc same as Bini

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Traditions Of Origin Of Ora People In Edo State by silverlinen(m): 10:03pm On Sep 03, 2022
mikmabray:
Nice one, can u can do a piece on Iuleha as well. Good to know we from that part of Edo state are having an awareness about our place.. Thank U Mandynews.com for this..
Omion
Re: The Traditions Of Origin Of Ora People In Edo State by Stylestyle: 7:12pm On Apr 17
Do I have to waste my time debating with an imbecíle like you? I have told you to go and ask Oba of lagos. Just so you know; it was the Bini’s that started using the word Oba. Secondary school dropout go and ask your father; maybe he will have an idea secondly those diety you just mentioned are all Benin except for
Ayelala Ogun and shango meanwhile ours is isango
Nah una still get aye abi

Useless failures called Yoruba

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

18 Things That Make Yoruba Weddings A Must Attend In A Lifetime / Tracy Chapele-Ugo Bags Father’s Chieftaincy Title In Urhoboland / Oba Adeyemi: Things To Know About Boxer Who Became Longest-reigning Alaafin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.