Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,500 members, 7,819,817 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:32 AM

Help With Ibibio Translations Please. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Help With Ibibio Translations Please. (20143 Views)

20 Popular Yoruba Charms And Their Uses(With Direct English Translations) / Efik/ibibio Names And Their Meaning / Names Of Animal In Efik/ibibio (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help With Ibibio Translations Please. by star4(f): 1:33am On Sep 27, 2010
Hi, If anyone could help me with some translations I would be very grateful, may solve some mysteries for me lol!
Re: Help With Ibibio Translations Please. by star4(f): 1:54am On Sep 27, 2010
ok the first one Timme Ka ke yem mbakara kiet do, iniehe si ba mi o
Re: Help With Ibibio Translations Please. by OgidiBoy(m): 11:13pm On Sep 27, 2010
^^^ I'm not very good at reading Igbo, but are you even sure that's Igbo ?
Re: Help With Ibibio Translations Please. by chyz(m): 5:06am On Sep 28, 2010
OgidiBoy:

^^^ I'm not very good at reading Igbo, but are you even sure that's Igbo ?

she's asking for someone to translate it from Ibibio to english not Igbo to english. That's not Igbo bro.lol
Re: Help With Ibibio Translations Please. by star4(f): 11:10am On Sep 28, 2010
yeah its Ibibio I'm pretty sure, well whatever, I need some help lol. I guess all the Ibibio people are busy undecided
Re: Help With Ibibio Translations Please. by babyme1(f): 3:39pm On Sep 28, 2010
star*:

ok the first one Timme Ka ke yem mbakara kiet do, iniehe si ba mi o

Go back and look for the white man/woman there, there is nothing here o wink
Re: Help With Ibibio Translations Please. by star4(f): 5:58pm On Sep 28, 2010
Baby.me Thank you so much for your reply smiley

I got more can you help? Mbakara eyie ma mkpodo mbok nyemme owo di mwot

I appreciate.
Re: Help With Ibibio Translations Please. by star4(f): 6:02pm On Sep 28, 2010
'abasi nbok' which i have an idea but not sure thanks again smiley
Re: Help With Ibibio Translations Please. by OgidiBoy(m): 10:59pm On Sep 28, 2010
chyz:

she's asking for someone to translate it from Ibibio to english not Igbo to english. That's not Igbo bro.lol

I thought Igbo and Ibibio spoke the same language sad Tells you how much I know sad

star* no vex abeg.
Re: Help With Ibibio Translations Please. by star4(f): 11:13pm On Sep 28, 2010
@ OgidiBoy No wahala wink
Re: Help With Ibibio Translations Please. by MaziUche0(m): 3:19am On Sep 29, 2010
I can help! What do you need to be translated!

Finally someone has some use of my Ibibio language. grin
Re: Help With Ibibio Translations Please. by star4(f): 8:15am On Sep 29, 2010
hi smiley

Mbakara eyie ma mkpodo mbok nyemme owo di mwot

thank you cool
Re: Help With Ibibio Translations Please. by star4(f): 8:17am On Sep 29, 2010
and

abasi nbok
Re: Help With Ibibio Translations Please. by babyme1(f): 10:23am On Sep 29, 2010
star*:

Baby.me Thank you so much for your reply smiley

I appreciate.

This isn't coherent.

star*:

and

abasi nbok

I think u wanted to write Abasi Mbok, meaning "God please"
Re: Help With Ibibio Translations Please. by kannymoore(m): 5:25am On Oct 02, 2010
@star¤ my ibibio is awfully pathetic but i think you said something like "white people like banana, find someone to show him"
or something vaguely close to that. Otherwise , i don expose my flat nyash! Lol!
@baby.me, wow! I didnt know that you're ibibio. Lordy me! Lol!
Re: Help With Ibibio Translations Please. by star4(f): 12:47pm On Oct 02, 2010
haha!! White people like banana?! Well if thats it I've been called worse lol! Thank you for your reply grin
Re: Help With Ibibio Translations Please. by star4(f): 1:10pm On Oct 02, 2010
so what then does 'da mbakara imemme' mean?
Re: Help With Ibibio Translations Please. by kannymoore(m): 2:22pm On Oct 02, 2010
I guess it means " guy, white people aint easy o!" or "it aint a peice of cake, rolling with them o!"
as i said before, my ibibio is goddamn-awful! Lol! That banana explanation is the best i can muster under the peculiarlly funny circumstances i've found meself. LOL!
Re: Help With Ibibio Translations Please. by kannymoore(m): 2:29pm On Oct 02, 2010
On 2nd thought, the banana explanation ought to be " whitey likes banana, i dont want anyone to show him where it is.", But i dunno whether banana is mkpodo and vice versa.
Re: Help With Ibibio Translations Please. by star4(f): 9:48pm On Oct 02, 2010
hmmm as baby.me said, its incoherent, I mean whitey likes banana? what would that even mean unless im missing something, anyway. The mysteries are still unsolved, think I need a miracle to know whats up undecided

again thank you for replying smiley
Re: Help With Ibibio Translations Please. by ezeagu(m): 10:26pm On Oct 02, 2010
star*:

Baby.me Thank you so much for your reply  smiley

I appreciate.

grin Mbakara is the Efik/Ibibio version of 'Cracker' (offensive term for white people)
Re: Help With Ibibio Translations Please. by star4(f): 10:33pm On Oct 02, 2010
lol!!
Re: Help With Ibibio Translations Please. by kannymoore(m): 10:37pm On Oct 02, 2010
@ star*, Hey! It was nothing, Im here whenever u need me.
Re: Help With Ibibio Translations Please. by star4(f): 2:04am On Oct 03, 2010
@ ezeagu lol! Why doesn't that surprise me, Thank you for your reply.

@ Kannymoore hmmm really? Whenever I need you? Nice smiley
Re: Help With Ibibio Translations Please. by margaritav(f): 3:58am On Oct 04, 2010
ezeagu:

grin Mbakara is the Efik/Ibibio version of 'Cracker' (offensive term for white people)

That is incorrect. Mbakara means European in Ibibio, not Efik and it is not an offensive word.
Re: Help With Ibibio Translations Please. by margaritav(f): 4:04am On Oct 04, 2010
Your translators are wrong and the spellings of what you wrote is also wrong. Use the link below for better translations and spelling smiley
http://coral.lili.uni-bielefeld.de/Courses/Summer04/Lexicography/IbibioDictionary/ibibio_dictionary01.pdf
Re: Help With Ibibio Translations Please. by babyme1(f): 3:54pm On Oct 04, 2010
star*:

hi smiley

Mbakara eyie ma mkpodo mbok nyemme owo di mwot

thank you cool

The best i can interprete your statement is "Oyibo you enjoy this so much, i don't want someone to kill me". And you have to understand that mbakara is also used an an endearment in Ibibio,it does not necessarily mean whiteman.

If my interpretation is correct,then what you wanted to write will be: " Mbakara amema mkpo ado,mbok nyemme owo adi iwot
Re: Help With Ibibio Translations Please. by ezeagu(m): 6:21pm On Oct 04, 2010
margaritav:

That is incorrect. Mbakara means European in Ibibio, not Efik and it is not an offensive word.

Of course it's an offensive word used by the Efik as well, the word comes from Efik and Ibibio and they are not very different. Maybe now the word has been normalised to mean 'Europeans' but it originally meant evil (cruel) white spirit because of the slave trade.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mbakara

1 Like

Re: Help With Ibibio Translations Please. by kannymoore(m): 7:18pm On Oct 04, 2010
@baby.me, you are too much. Your explanation make sense die! See as i just murdered ibibio language with a double edged akøbø! LWKMD!
Re: Help With Ibibio Translations Please. by star4(f): 9:45am On Oct 05, 2010
@ ezeagu Wikipedia isn't really a true source of information, it has many inaccuracies.

@ margaritav Thank you for your link, I have been using that for reference.

@baby.me thank you once again, that makes much more sense smiley
Re: Help With Ibibio Translations Please. by babyme1(f): 3:16pm On Oct 05, 2010
ezeagu:

Of course it's an offensive word used by the Efik as well, the word comes from Efik and Ibibio and they are not very different. Maybe now the word has been normalised to mean 'Europeans' but it originally meant evil (cruel) white spirit because of the slave trade.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mbakara

Mbakara is not an offensive word. It's a term that is used to describe the white and it literally means "those that rule" maybe from the fact that the white ruled Africa. It's worthy to note that it's NOW used as an endearment,to describe beauty,love,affection etc (i even call my boo mbakara cheesy)

If my instinct is right, the person that called Star Mbakara used it as an endearment.
Re: Help With Ibibio Translations Please. by babyme1(f): 3:25pm On Oct 05, 2010
margaritav:

Yes,it's not offensive. Efik is a dialect of Ibibio therefore mbakara means the same thing in both wink

(1) (2) (Reply)

Emir Sanusi: "If You Don't Have Money, Don't Give Birth To Many Children" / 21 Ibadan Kings To Dethrone Olubadan / Photos From Adeleke University Convocation As King Of Ede Bags Doctorate Degree

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.