Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,639 members, 7,820,240 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:01 PM

Help With Ibibio Translations Please. - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Help With Ibibio Translations Please. (20146 Views)

20 Popular Yoruba Charms And Their Uses(With Direct English Translations) / Efik/ibibio Names And Their Meaning / Names Of Animal In Efik/ibibio (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help With Ibibio Translations Please. by babyme1(f): 3:30pm On Oct 05, 2010
kannymoore:

@baby.me, you are too much. Your explanation make sense die! See as i just murdered ibibio language with a double edged akøbø! LWKMD!

Ado ok! cheesy wink
Re: Help With Ibibio Translations Please. by star4(f): 9:19pm On Oct 05, 2010
baby.me, How do you say I love you in Ibibio?
Re: Help With Ibibio Translations Please. by ezeagu(m): 9:34pm On Oct 05, 2010
baby.me:

Mbakara is not an offensive word. It's a term that is used to describe the white and it literally means "those that rule" maybe from the fact that the white ruled Africa. It's worthy to note that it's NOW used as an endearment,to describe beauty,love,affection etc (i even call my boo mbakara cheesy)

If my instinct is right, the person that called Star Mbakara used it as an endearment.

I guess like 'nigga'? Anyway the word started off offensive and some still use it that way, I guess whoever is at the receiving end would have to interpret the users motives. As for Mbakara for 'love' grin I never heard that one.

1 Like

Re: Help With Ibibio Translations Please. by star4(f): 9:49pm On Oct 05, 2010
lol @ ezeagu you trying to wind me up haha! Its kinda workin' wink
Re: Help With Ibibio Translations Please. by babyme1(f): 9:13am On Oct 06, 2010
star*:

Ami mme uma fien. But trust me, it doesn't sound romantic embarassed

@ezeagu tht is what u think, but this is a language i speak and im telling you BOLDLY that mbakara is NO LONGER an offensive word. We use it NOW to refer to a white, a loved one, or someone that is fair.

1 Like

Re: Help With Ibibio Translations Please. by star4(f): 9:35am On Oct 06, 2010
Thank you baby.me you are a star kiss
Re: Help With Ibibio Translations Please. by babyme1(f): 11:19am On Oct 06, 2010
Anytime wink
Re: Help With Ibibio Translations Please. by margaritav(f): 4:10am On Oct 12, 2010
ezeagu:

Of course it's an offensive word used by the Efik as well, the word comes from Efik and Ibibio and they are not very different. Maybe now the word has been normalised to mean 'Europeans' but it originally meant evil (cruel) white spirit because of the slave trade.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mbakara

Call it what you want to call it. There are a lot more differences than similarities between the Efik and the Ibibio's, I should know because I am Efik who is engaged to an Ibibio. "mbakara" is Ibibio while "makara" is Efik, both means white people  smiley
Re: Help With Ibibio Translations Please. by babyme1(f): 9:13am On Oct 12, 2010
margaritav:

Call it what you want to call it. There are a lot more differences than similarities between the Efik and the Ibibio's, I should know because I am Efik who is engaged to an Ibibio. "mbakara" is Ibibio while "makara" is Efik, both means white people smiley

Really? Im Ibibio and will come for the wedding if im invited! Say hi to your Mbakara for me kiss
Re: Help With Ibibio Translations Please. by mystikal(m): 7:15am On Nov 17, 2010
Mbakara has never been an offensive word. like someone rightly said, it refers to a Caucasian, and can be used as an endearment term, or for someone with a fair complexion.
Re: Help With Ibibio Translations Please. by passionup: 11:21pm On Nov 20, 2010
" Mbakara amema mkpo ado,mbok nyemme owo adi iwot
@Star, baby mi was close to the correct interpretation of the sentence above.I will look at it based on the context of who you are discussing with. it might be a guy or gisting with friends and if is either of the above,then the meaning is 'white peple love that thing.i dont want someone to kill me'.Contrary views are allowed but before the dissenting opinions start flowing,look at the words very well that is if the person about to argue fully understands ibibio cos i do.
Re: Help With Ibibio Translations Please. by ezeagu(m): 5:25am On Mar 30, 2015
Mbakara means white devil, slave master, over lord, serpent. That's what it means. Brainwashed Africans use it as a term of endearment now, but it doesn't change the fact that the Efik and Ibibio and most 'Nigerians' saw the white people as evil, devilish and spirit-like. That's all. Drops mike.
Re: Help With Ibibio Translations Please. by ezeagu(m): 5:27am On Mar 30, 2015
margaritav:

Call it what you want to call it. There are a lot more differences than similarities between the Efik and the Ibibio's, I should know because I am Efik who is engaged to an Ibibio. "mbakara" is Ibibio while "makara" is Efik, both means white people  smiley

Bull.
Re: Help With Ibibio Translations Please. by DateMynd44(m): 11:29pm On Jul 13, 2019
star4:
ok the first one Timme Ka ke yem mbakara kiet do, iniehe si ba mi o
go and find a white person and marry, nothing for u here
Re: Help With Ibibio Translations Please. by DateMynd44(m): 11:31pm On Jul 13, 2019
babyme1:

Go back and look for the white man/woman there, there is nothing here o wink
hmm uyai iban
Re: Help With Ibibio Translations Please. by DateMynd44(m): 11:32pm On Jul 13, 2019
star4:
Baby.me Thank you so much for your reply smiley

I got more can you help? Mbakara eyie ma mkpodo mbok nyemme owo di mwot

I appreciate.

your word isn't complete but here it means I don't want anybody to come and kill me
Re: Help With Ibibio Translations Please. by DateMynd44(m): 11:33pm On Jul 13, 2019
star4:
and
abasi nbok
God please
Re: Help With Ibibio Translations Please. by DateMynd44(m): 11:34pm On Jul 13, 2019
star4:
so what then does 'da mbakara imemme' mean?
White people no easy oh
Re: Help With Ibibio Translations Please. by DateMynd44(m): 11:37pm On Jul 13, 2019
star4:
Ami me Uma fien eti eti - I love you very much

(1) (2) (Reply)

Emir Sanusi: "If You Don't Have Money, Don't Give Birth To Many Children" / 21 Ibadan Kings To Dethrone Olubadan / Oba Adekunle Baderin Of Ipetu-ijesha Is Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.