Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,839 members, 7,813,803 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:42 PM

Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra (36531 Views)

Abonnema Community Celebrates 54th Year Of Libration From Biafra By Nigeria / IPOB Dissociates Itself From Biafra National Guard (BNG) / VIDEO: APC & GOGAN Launches President Buhari's 2019 Election Song? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by Godhead4(m): 8:15pm On May 26, 2019
Fr Gerry Gogan, who has died in his 92nd year, was one of the dwindling band of Irish missionaries expelled from Nigeria after the civil war of 1967-1970. A member of the Spiritan order (historically called the Holy Ghost Fathers in English-speaking countries), he served for 17 years in that country

He learned to speak Igbo, the major language of eastern Nigeria, and was loyal to his flock when it mattered most. After the civil war broke out, he returned from leave into the breakaway state of Biafra on an aircraft which landed at night on a stretch of road converted into makeshift airstrip, in complete darkness and under threat of anti-aircraft fire from Nigerian forces. Much to the discomfort of he and other missionaries, they couldn’t smoke for fear the glow of the cigarettes would betray the aircraft. As a pastor in blockaded Biafra he oversaw over a dozen feeding stations linked to 27 refugee camps.

The defeat of Biafran forces in January 1970 also ended his stay in Nigeria, as he and his colleagues were expelled by the Nigerian government, which perceived them as collaborators with and even encouragers of the Biafran rebels.

Biafra had a large Catholic population due to Irish missionaries’ work over many years. Many of the missionaries saw paralells between the creation of Biafra and the Irish War of Independence. At least half a million Biafrans died from hunger and hunger-linked diseases, as the Nigerian central government starved the secessionists. This generated huge sympathy for Biafra among the Irish public. The charity Concern Worldwide had its origins in the efforts of Irish Holy Ghost Fathers – most notebly Fr Aengus Finucane – to subvert the Nigerian blockade.

Tension

The government of the day did not share the popular sympathy with Biafra, and there was some tension with the Spiritans. One diplomat reported home on Nigerian allegations they were “impertinent busybodies from abroad”.

As the Spiritans were being ejected from the country, Nigerian journalists taunted them. Gogan responded by sticking his tongue out and was rewarded by his picture appearing in the newspapers.

After Nigeria, Gogan was stationed in Ireland for a short time, then was posted to Liberia. Missionaries had a saying that, while “Nigeria breaks men’s backs, Liberia breaks men’s souls”. But he played an important part in the church during his half-dozen years there. Based in the east of the country, he translated the Mass into Mende, one of the country’s major languages.

As well as being a missionary, Gogan was was a poet and self-published a volume, Life Duets, containing more than 100 poems.

Gerard Michael Gogan was born in Rathmines, Dublin, in June 1927, the eldest of six boys and two girls to Michael Gogan, a newsagent, and his wife May (née Ryan). Both parents were Dubliners. He received national schooling at St Louis national school in Rathmines, then proceeded to St Mary’s College, also in Rathmines.

The Spiritans ran the college. At an early age, he decided on the religious life. After the Leaving Certificate, he entered the Spiritan novitiate at Kilshane in Co Tipperary. After a year, he moved to the Spiritans’ missionary college at Kimmage Manor in Dublin to study philosophy and theology, and finally to Clonliffe College.

After ordination there in 1953, he sailed to Nigeria with a couple of dozen other Irish missionaries. It would be 60 years before Ireland became his permanent home again.

After Liberia, he was moved to Australia in 1976. First he was based in Melbourne, next in Brisbane. As age caught up with him, be became chaplain to a nursing home on Queensland’s ‘Gold Coast’. In the nursing home, he was famous for organising singalongs as therapy for residents. He only returned permanently to Ireland only about six years ago.

He was a man of compassion and wisdom who gave witness to a down-to-earth Christianity. He is survived by his sisters Marie and Eileen, and brothers Tom, Lorcan and Niall. He was predeceased by his brothers John and Bernard

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/gerry-gogan-obituary-irish-priest-expelled-from-biafra-1.3903162?mode=amp

54 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by frankdoz24: 8:24pm On May 26, 2019
We will continue to remember the missionary aids and foreign machinery that supported and fought for Biafra. On May30th, we remember you all.

222 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by GeorgeTheCoder: 8:26pm On May 26, 2019
A good and great man who fought with the freedom loving people of southern Nigeria against northern expansionism.

Eternal Rest grant him O Lord; And let Perpetual Light shine on him.

164 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by Ikechu12: 8:43pm On May 26, 2019
sarrki:
Igbos are attention seeker

Irishtimes is now IPOB owned media, not Ireland. You're a fucking idiot

187 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by Ikechu12: 8:44pm On May 26, 2019
All good deeds are never forgotten. Rest in peace priest

80 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by frankdoz24: 8:46pm On May 26, 2019
sarrki:
Igbos are attention seeker
a pained almajiri terrorist.

162 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by Built2last: 9:38pm On May 26, 2019
Ok

We will never forget

66 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by Englishgold: 9:39pm On May 26, 2019
A minute silence for him pls...

May his soul and souls of all the faithful rest in peace, Amen.

Rest in peace. Fr

Rest in peace my sweet mom.

Long live Nairalanders

108 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by oxygen247(m): 9:39pm On May 26, 2019
Rest in peace hero!

41 Likes

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by Firstorderwizard(m): 9:39pm On May 26, 2019
Rip Rev. Fr
As long as Biafra lives,you are alive.

68 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by UceeGod: 9:40pm On May 26, 2019
Nigeria will never progress until the pogroms committed in Biafra is appeased

No matter how long Nigeria tries to bury her evil history, the swans will continue to sing from their Graves and there will be no peace until they are appeased

67 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by itsIYKE(m): 9:41pm On May 26, 2019
Your name will never leave the mouth of biafrans

43 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by XTHRONE(m): 9:42pm On May 26, 2019
Thank you sir, may God guide you home safely

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by solmusdesigns: 9:43pm On May 26, 2019

500000 people starved to death, while another 500000 were eating by the surviving hungry biafrans

Moral of the story

Before shamelessly starting a fight with people feeding you, make sure you are self sufficient.

God hates proud people and chestbeating trouble cuaser, and he always destroys the agressive and humiliate them, while the humble are always triumphant.

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by ogyunging(m): 9:44pm On May 26, 2019
What's going on here??....

1 Like

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by buzon(m): 9:44pm On May 26, 2019
#Sitathome may 30th in memory of the millions of Biafrans killed by Nigerian and British government.

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by Princedapace(m): 9:44pm On May 26, 2019
I am still trying to understand why the Nigerian govt along with supports from at least three strong countries in war could only defeat a small nation by implementing an anti war tactics. I mean using hunger as a tactics was a low life. There are some things u don't do during war.

Any ways, it is a gone game. I am still trying to understand how the Biafrans did it shaaa..

We are still hoping to get 1600 respondents for my friend's PhD survey questionaire. Pls, you can be of help.

Pls guys, a friend of mine is doing her PhD in the university of Florida.

She needs our help. She has her survey questionnaire crafted online. She is understudying birth control in Nigeria. That is a very interesting topic. She needs 1600 respondents for this research. You can participate. Survey takes less than 20 minutes.

Pls, to help her with your views about birth control, kindly check my profile and see the link on my signature. Just click the link and the survey page will open. It is done online and easy. Thank u so much. Don't forget to share with your friends too.

20 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by Rapuru14: 9:45pm On May 26, 2019
God bless Biafra...
The Land of the Rising Sun.

45 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by MChaze25(m): 9:45pm On May 26, 2019
R.I.P
We will never forget

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by ZombiePUNISHER: 9:46pm On May 26, 2019
I will tell your story

To my unborn kids and their generations

RIP fr. Gerry Gogan

You live forever

42 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by MChaze25(m): 9:46pm On May 26, 2019
ogyunging:
What's going on here??....

Your head

7 Likes

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by poseidon12: 9:48pm On May 26, 2019
May your kind, gentle and generous soul rest in perfect peace with the Lord. Thank you sir, for helping us in Nigeria. It is angelic beings like you that make me to be proud to be a Christian.

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by Pavore9: 9:48pm On May 26, 2019
May his soul rest in peace.

Remembering my parents telling us how the Holy Ghost Fathers and the Sisters of the Holy Rosary really assisted them during the civil war.

31 Likes

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by frankoben(m): 9:53pm On May 26, 2019
Padre May ur benevolent soul be immersed by perpetual light in the after life for the great love and sacrifice you gave to mankind. You spent ur time in evolution well and at ur passing the grave shall celebrate no victory, farewell Father Gerry as you embark on the immortal sojourn into life eternal..... RIP

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by hollah123: 9:54pm On May 26, 2019
solmusdesigns:

500000 people starved to death, while another 500000 were eating by the surviving hungry biafrans

Moral of the story

Before shamelessly starting a fight with people feeding you, make sure you are self sufficient
chestbeating led them to their doom, very useless war started by very anyhow iPob miscreants

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by airsaylongcon: 9:55pm On May 26, 2019
frankdoz24:
We will continue to remember the missionary aids and foreign machinery that supported and fought for Biafra. On May30th, we remember you all.

Mercenary (pronounced messi-nery) wrongly pronounced as "machinery" in Nigerian English

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by ceejee(m): 9:57pm On May 26, 2019
whatever happens in d future, history will always remind us on that day that free men fought again operation and slavery, few stood against many. every biafran family lost a person at least. their sacrifices will never go in vein. yes we lost the war but the struggle is still on going. someday we shall sing a victory song and raise a flag of freedom. the sun will surely rise in d east, The land of my birth. May the Lord keeps me alive and healthy to witness that great.

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by hollah123: 9:57pm On May 26, 2019
Princedapace:
I am still trying to understand why the Nigerian govt along with supports from at least three strong countries in war could only defeat a small nation by implementing an anti war tactics. I mean using hunger as a tactics was a low life. There are some things u don't do during war.

Any ways, it is a gone game. I am still trying to understand how the Biafrans did it shaaa..

We are still hoping to get 1600 respondents for my friend's PhD survey questionaire. Pls, you can be of help.

Pls guys, a friend of mine is doing her PhD in the university of Florida.

She needs our help. She has her survey questionnaire crafted online. She is understudying birth control in Nigeria. That is a very interesting topic. She needs 1600 respondents for this research. You can participate. Survey takes less than 20 minutes.

Pls, to help her with your views about birth control, kindly check my profile and see the link on my signature. Just click the link and the survey page will open. It is done online and easy. Thank u so much. Don't forget to share with your friends too.
u can use any means to silent your opponent in a war, it's allowed. pikin wey talk say him stubborn Na hunger go teach am lesson. as regards d research respondent, bro take that to upper iweka, there u have people who reason like u waiting for u there

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by Nobody: 9:58pm On May 26, 2019
I am seeing indomie kids talking nonsense here.

6 Likes

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by 1kingwriter: 10:02pm On May 26, 2019
Built2last:
Ok

We will never forget
We shall never!

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Dino Melaye: APC Has Borrowed More Than PDP Without Any Programme / Nigeria Loses ₦2 Billion Daily To Twitter Ban - NetBlocks (Sahara Reporters) / Shocking Revelations Of Lagos #EndSARS Report - Punch Editorial

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.