Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,888 members, 7,814,007 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:45 AM

Why are South East Governors Allowing Kidnapping to Get Out of Hand - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why are South East Governors Allowing Kidnapping to Get Out of Hand (586 Views)

Fulani Herdsmen: South-east Governors In Abuja Over Attacks / Buhari Gives Ultimatum To South-east Governors On Biafra / South East Governors Meeting In Owerri (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why are South East Governors Allowing Kidnapping to Get Out of Hand by Nobody: 2:35pm On Sep 27, 2010
Please who ever can talk to those Governor's should let them know

While I applaud their tacit moves, silence, declarations and timing in declaring for Jonathan, it is greatly disappointing to know that  "there are adults at home while the she goat gives birth and strangles the kid with the umblical cord"

Kidnapping has become a playtime entertainment for little boys in Igboland, while those who should know better are busy burying their heads in sand like ostriches.

We all think this kidnapping saga is being done by tough criminals, but no, it has gotten to the level where unemployed youths are considering it as new business ventures. Even teenagers are now showing manhood by kidnapping! People are kidnapped for as little as N100k.
Please, is the excuse of not controlling the police enough to for the SE governors to fold their hands. Yes they have made some efforts but those efforts are hardly enough.

For those familiar with history, it is this kind of anarchy that lead to a slave trade which could not be ended for centuries. People were kidnapped from farms, streams, markets, even members of same clans kidnapped and sold their relations. Not more than four centuries after, we are repeating the same thing again.

Do we want to make kidnapping a part of our culture? Or are we not aware that kidnapping at the rate it is going can not only destroy the mal-functional economy we are managing, but it can threaten our societal structures, destroy our family systems and social cohesion, as well as brand us as idiots to outsiders.

SE states should create a tool to handle kidnapping.  The only reason why every Tom, manliness and Harry is kidnapping, is cause nobody has seriously shown that there are repercussions. If a teenager or colleague of mine can kidnap a former senator and get away with it, I can as well try it with my neighbour who rides a big car and get away with it. For each successful kidnapping in the SE, three to five more kidnappers are born.

I suggest that the Governors should setup a non-government Security Apparatus to continually hunt kidnappers. It must be made in such a way that anybody that has ever kidnapped must never have peace even in twenty years to come.

It is now normal for politicians to maintain a small army in Nigeria, but unleashing such on the communities or even arming youths you cannot pay or maintain is as silly  and silly as sponsoring people to burn your own states Government house because your enemy is sitting there. When you defeat him you will still sit in the same house and suffer the loss of the burn documents.

If you are arming youths unnecessarily remember that if you ever loose power tomorrow, it is you and your family members that will be kidnapped for ransomed by same guns you bought. Let us ensure that our homes are safe so we won’t have to run away to a place where our children will tomorrow be called strangers. Politicians, If you control an armed group, I will not ask that you disband them, but use them to ensure that gangs do not operate kidnapping business in your home community. It is only when the Big masquerade is not in the square that the small masquerades come out to test there strengths.

For the rest of Igbo leaders, the traditional rulers, senators, and political gladiators, I can only remind you of what Oliver sang, “Ana enwe obodo enwe, obodo enwghi onye nwe ka ewu na ta.”
It is a shame that in the twenty first century, we can suffer from such anarchy, it shows dis-organisation, poor self interest and lack of leadership.

(1) (Reply)

Ogun Teachers Urge Better Funding Of Education / A Nigeria Without Oil / Latest Update On October 1st Bombing And Seized Armo!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.