Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,105 members, 7,814,881 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:51 PM

Digging Road-sides To Bury Cables:when Will This Old Practice End In Nigeria? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Digging Road-sides To Bury Cables:when Will This Old Practice End In Nigeria? (30598 Views)

America The Good Sides And Bad Sides You Need To Know Before You Relocate. / The Good, The Bad And The Ugly Sides Of Iyana Ipaja, Lagos, Nigeria / Trading On Railway Track: Why Is This Risky Practice Permitted? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Digging Road-sides To Bury Cables:when Will This Old Practice End In Nigeria? by autojosh: 2:33pm On Jun 03, 2019

Digging activities have become common sights on roadsides across Nigeria.

These diggings are carried out by utility services providers such as telecoms and electric power providers. They do it in order to install their cables.

These digging which are typically done on walkways, drainages and even across tarred roads, contributes to damage to roads, flooding and other sources of economic losses.

Sadly, different utility and telecoms service providers take turns in digging up walkways, roads and gutters in order to bury their cables and pipes.

In Lagos state, some telecom operators have been accused of illegally damaging roads in order to lay fiber optics cables and not repairing the roads after the work.

This indictment is contained in a study carried out on behalf of the Lagos State Infrastructure Maintenance and Regulatory Agency (LASIMRA) by Critical Infrastructure Services (CIS) Limited.

The Lagos State Infrastructure Maintenance and Regulatory Agency (LASIMRA) is the agency saddled with the responsibility of regulating these cable laying and similar infrastructure development activities.

LASIMRA benefits from these activities in the form of taxes and levies from these utility companies to carry out these digging activities. These levies are reported to run into several billions of naira.

However, LASIMRA has also been guilty of not regulating these activities effectively.

For instance, despite the huge revenues it earns, LASIMRA has done very little in providing cable ducts on roads around the state for these utility companies to run their cables through.

Beyond constructing cable ducts on roads, a school of thought believes that LASIMRA should take up the responsibility or outsourcing the responsibility of constructing underground channels or mini-tunnels.

When constructed, the underground channels or tunnels can be used by utility or telecoms service providers to run their pipes and cables, and of course, they would pay fees to the government to use them.

Except for something of this nature is not done, we would have to contend with ceaseless damage to our roads – and by extension flooding and other economic losses by public services providers.

Source:

https://autojosh.com/digging-road-sides-to-bury-cables-when-will-when-this-outdated-practice-end-in-nigeria-photos/

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Digging Road-sides To Bury Cables:when Will This Old Practice End In Nigeria? by autojosh: 2:33pm On Jun 03, 2019
See What Roads In Kano Looked Like In 1970 (Photo). To see the photo, click HERE

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Digging Road-sides To Bury Cables:when Will This Old Practice End In Nigeria? by HospitalityDiva(f): 2:34pm On Jun 03, 2019
It makes sense. Construct tunnels. Lease it to companies. Then they will pay the government rent. The IGR will be better for it.

Meanwhile, ladies, to overcome and prevent toilet infections, see my signature. Guys, to overcome weak erections, also see my signature.

19 Likes

Re: Digging Road-sides To Bury Cables:when Will This Old Practice End In Nigeria? by Oweku: 2:36pm On Jun 03, 2019
op if ur phone no dey browse or e no get network now u go dey complain o..
u think say Na magic?
read news only n get paid for it..

click my signature below

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Digging Road-sides To Bury Cables:when Will This Old Practice End In Nigeria? by OgbanjeProphet: 2:51pm On Jun 03, 2019
For those that understand our law well, when this people break your concrete floor to pass these cables, who repairs the broken floor later? They have broken my neighbour's several times without repairing it properly. They would just cover it with earth and go.

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: Digging Road-sides To Bury Cables:when Will This Old Practice End In Nigeria? by freemanbubble: 2:51pm On Jun 03, 2019
Instead of you to ask when will the scam called Nigeria end

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Digging Road-sides To Bury Cables:when Will This Old Practice End In Nigeria? by MrRhymes101(m): 2:52pm On Jun 03, 2019
We don't want to progress... Wedding MC
Re: Digging Road-sides To Bury Cables:when Will This Old Practice End In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:53pm On Jun 03, 2019
Option B would be to build huge underground sewers and run the wires there....which would cost money and be even more exepsive.

2 Likes

Re: Digging Road-sides To Bury Cables:when Will This Old Practice End In Nigeria? by MANNABBQGRILLS: 2:53pm On Jun 03, 2019
We can't believe this is still happening in our country in the 21st century.

Modify:
It happens abroad too, but we can all see the difference.
They don't leave the trash or dug road behind!
What is worth doing at all, is worth doing well!

AllenSpencer:

Please stop. You my paddy
It happens everywhere.
You are right sir
Modified with images!

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Digging Road-sides To Bury Cables:when Will This Old Practice End In Nigeria? by mindtricks: 2:54pm On Jun 03, 2019
It's same reason why many major roads are still in a deplorable state as though we are in a covenant with suffering.
Re: Digging Road-sides To Bury Cables:when Will This Old Practice End In Nigeria? by diportivo: 2:54pm On Jun 03, 2019
that's how I saw one dolt digging at the point where NGC already put a no digging sign

if pipe breaks and explodes and kills the mumu now,we will blame buhari undecided

12 Likes

Re: Digging Road-sides To Bury Cables:when Will This Old Practice End In Nigeria? by Alzirida(f): 2:54pm On Jun 03, 2019
When we build our homes and offices according to city master plan.

In advance society, while constructing Roads, the already make provision for cables, pipes. U don't need to dig in future

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Digging Road-sides To Bury Cables:when Will This Old Practice End In Nigeria? by Last355(m): 2:55pm On Jun 03, 2019
They keep digging digging, cover, tar the road and come back to redig again!!

3 Likes

Re: Digging Road-sides To Bury Cables:when Will This Old Practice End In Nigeria? by barackodam: 2:55pm On Jun 03, 2019
Oweku:
op if ur phone no dey browse or e no get network now u go dey complain o..

u think say Na magic?

read news only n get paid for it..

click my signature below

Make we dey reason before we open mouth talk naa.

Bad roads and bad network, which one kills?

Haba. We go school naa

2 Likes

Re: Digging Road-sides To Bury Cables:when Will This Old Practice End In Nigeria? by BizBayo: 2:55pm On Jun 03, 2019
Maybe they are planning to give is 6G LTE grin

2 Likes

Re: Digging Road-sides To Bury Cables:when Will This Old Practice End In Nigeria? by WorkTheTalk(m): 2:55pm On Jun 03, 2019
In Nigeria, anything goes

1 Like

Re: Digging Road-sides To Bury Cables:when Will This Old Practice End In Nigeria? by akilo1: 2:56pm On Jun 03, 2019
Then dey find oil ..leave them,
Re: Digging Road-sides To Bury Cables:when Will This Old Practice End In Nigeria? by dustydee: 2:57pm On Jun 03, 2019
autojosh:

Digging activities have become
Come to the UK and see them digging main road to lay cables.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Digging Road-sides To Bury Cables:when Will This Old Practice End In Nigeria? by AllenSpencer: 2:57pm On Jun 03, 2019
It happens everywhere in the world.

Fixing back is the issue here

Don't make it look like it's only Nigeria

7 Likes

Re: Digging Road-sides To Bury Cables:when Will This Old Practice End In Nigeria? by barrypro: 2:58pm On Jun 03, 2019
This is Nigeria where everything goes.
For your professional website design. Check my signature.
Re: Digging Road-sides To Bury Cables:when Will This Old Practice End In Nigeria? by bluediesel03: 2:58pm On Jun 03, 2019
This practice has cost me alot.The laborers they use in the digging always burst my water pipe.I had to repair it over and over again.I'm just tired....

1 Like

Re: Digging Road-sides To Bury Cables:when Will This Old Practice End In Nigeria? by chatom143: 2:58pm On Jun 03, 2019
The sad part is how to cover the road back to is initial stage. Nigeria is a zoo.
Re: Digging Road-sides To Bury Cables:when Will This Old Practice End In Nigeria? by mooustea: 2:59pm On Jun 03, 2019
vision 2050
Re: Digging Road-sides To Bury Cables:when Will This Old Practice End In Nigeria? by GeneralPula: 2:59pm On Jun 03, 2019
It’s everywhere nah. I think covering after digging is the main issh.

1 Like

Re: Digging Road-sides To Bury Cables:when Will This Old Practice End In Nigeria? by senchris(m): 2:59pm On Jun 03, 2019
But if handled professionally both in terms of maintenance, this is actually the future. This is the present means of transmitting electricity and other stuff in developed countries. You only see large metal poles along the highways, not wooden and concrete poles that are littered everywhere along the streets as in Nigeria/Africa.

1 Like

Re: Digging Road-sides To Bury Cables:when Will This Old Practice End In Nigeria? by Kingsleydr(m): 2:59pm On Jun 03, 2019
BizBayo:
Maybe they are planning to give is 6G LTE grin

Morun, you think you're funny ?

1 Like

Re: Digging Road-sides To Bury Cables:when Will This Old Practice End In Nigeria? by Nine2Five: 3:00pm On Jun 03, 2019
After Graduation, what next

Congrats on your recent graduation. But which way people, with this present Nigeria. What is your plan.

you might find this blog useful:

https://www.9to5.com.ng/2019/06/03/after-graduation-what-next/

Re: Digging Road-sides To Bury Cables:when Will This Old Practice End In Nigeria? by toluleke(m): 3:00pm On Jun 03, 2019
T

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

5 Signs Your Visa Application Will Be Rejected / Deportees How Did You Blend Into The Society? / Introducing Minus 25 Degrees! I Visited The Ice City! �

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.