Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,548 members, 7,823,404 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:47 AM

Atiku Weighs Options On Delay In Replacement For Bulkachuwa - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Atiku Weighs Options On Delay In Replacement For Bulkachuwa (19476 Views)

2023 Presidency: APC Weighs Options As Atiku Shops For Running Mate / Obaseki Weighs Options, May Settle For PDP / Ambode Weighs Options As Efforts To Secure Tinubu’s Support Fail (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Atiku Weighs Options On Delay In Replacement For Bulkachuwa by dre11(m): 9:48am On Jun 06, 2019
.....May petition NJC

Alex Enumah in Abuja

The presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, is weighing his options on how to get the Court of Appeal, which is serving as the tribunal of first instance, to proceed with the hearing of his petition, challenging the declaration of President Muhammadu Buhari as the winner of the February 23 presidential election.

The hearing of the petition suffered a major setback on May 22 when the President of the Court of Appeal, Justice Zainab Bulkachuwa, recused herself from the tribunal’s sitting, after the judicial panel had delivered judgment in a petition in which Atiku and the PDP demanded that she should step aside due to perceived conflict of interest.

The tribunal, on May 22, had dismissed the petition in which Atiku and the PDP alleged that they might suffer a miscarriage of justice given the fact that Justice Bulkachuwa’s husband, Alhaji Adamu Bulkachuwa, who is a senator-elect, and her son, Mr. Aliyu Abubakar, a governorship aspirant, belong to the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC).

But despite the dismissal of the petition, Justice Bulkachuwa decided to step aside for personal reasons.

However, since her stepping aside, efforts by both Atiku and the PDP to get her to nominate her replacement at the tribunal, so that the hearing of the petition could continue have been fruitless.

Statutorily, the five-man tribunal is expected to deliver its judgment 180 days from the day the petition is filed.
Atiku and the PDP filed their petition against the emergence of Buhari on March 18.

Justice Bulkachuwa’s delay in naming her replacement prompted Atiku’s lawyers to file a fresh petition last week over what they described as a deliberate ploy to truncate the constitutional deadline for the hearing of his petition against the victory of the president.

Sources close to the former vice-president told THISDAY wednesday that he was considering what other steps to take to get Justice Bulkachuwa to perform her statutory duty.

Among the options Atiku is considering include writing a fresh petition to the National Judicial Council (NJC) or resorting to diplomacy in getting the trial started.

One of the sources who is a Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN) on the legal team of Atiku, who craved anonymity, said they would wait and see the outcome of their letter before taking any further decisions.

He said: “We have written a letter complaining that there is a delay. So, if we wait for sometimes and no action is taken, we will proceed with the next step, which may involve submitting a fresh petition to the NJC or using diplomatic approach.”

Another source said the PDP’s legal team had not received any response to the letter it wrote to the Appeal Court president, asking her to appoint a replacement.

“If there is no response to our letter, a meeting would be called to see what steps to be taken next,” the source said, adding: “Just as the meeting decided to write the letter, so another meeting would decide the next option.”

Also reacting to the delay on the part of Justice Bulkachuwa to appoint her replacement, a lawyer, Mr. Kalu Kalu, said she had no choice but to do so.

According to him, the delay may be part of a larger plan to delay further hearing of the petition.
He advised against going to court to force Justice Bulkachuwa to appoint a replacement.

But Kalu agreed that Atiku could approach the NJC over alleged dereliction of duty on the part of the President of Court of Appeal or still employ some level of diplomacy in handling the matter.

He said: “It is something that she must do; it is not discretionary; it is mandatory that she does it. However, one of the options left for Atiku is to petition her to the NJC because if you say you should go to court, which court would you start from?

“And if you go to court, it means that they have achieved their aim of delaying the case because all they are doing now is to delay considering that once it is 180 days everything becomes a nullity. That is what they are targeting.

“So, the only option left for Atiku is to petition her to NJC for dereliction of duty because one cannot fathom why two weeks after she recused herself till today, she has not appointed a replacement.

“Nevertheless, it would be better to be a little diplomatic about the whole thing because if you say you are taking her to NJC, she can say let me go there and face the consequences once and for all.”

Atiku in a letter dated May 31, 2019, had expressed worry that 11 days after Justice Bulkachuwa disqualified herself from the tribunal, following the petition of the PDP and the Atiku/Obi’s legal team, the appellate court was yet to name her replacement.

The former vice-president, in the letter by his counsel, Mr. Levy Uzoukwu (SAN), urged the President of the Court of Appeal to appoint a replacement forthwith, since she knows the tribunal has a timeline to prosecute the petitions.

He reminded the appellate court that already, 76 days had been expended out of the 180 days allowed by law, as stipulated in Section 134 (2) and (3) of the Electoral Act (2010 as amended).

The petition stated: “I am one (Silas Joseph) of the counsel in the legal team prosecuting the above petition on behalf of the petitioners.

“I have the authority of the lead counsel, Dr. Livy Uzoukwu (SAN), to write this letter. My Lord will recall that on May 22, 2019, the above-mentioned petition came up for a motion requesting that My Lord to recuse herself from further presiding or participating in this petition. At the end of the proceedings, My Lord graciously recused herself on ‘personal grounds’ and promised to appoint another justice to continue with the petition.

“My Lord, it is nine days since the date My Lord recused herself and nothing has been heard regarding the replacement that was to be made thereafter.

“Considering the strict requirement of keeping to the constitutional calendar for a petition and the obvious fact that time is also running fast against the petitioners. We pray My Lord to act timeously in appointing a replacement so that we will get a hearing notice and continue with the petition in the interest of justice.”

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2019/06/06/atiku-weighs-options-on-delay-in-replacement-for-bulkachuwa/amp/

3 Likes

Re: Atiku Weighs Options On Delay In Replacement For Bulkachuwa by jlinkd78(m): 10:36am On Jun 06, 2019
The respect this woman would have garnered from d recuse acceptance is about being rubbished by this obvious delay tactics aimed at giving d APC an upper hand. PDP fears about this woman is now confirmed as she is pained and wants to frustrate their quest for justice. Ideally d number of days d appeal panel was without a head is supposed to be deducted from d statutory 180 days. The APC apologist below me keep enjoying d delay tactics

55 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Atiku Weighs Options On Delay In Replacement For Bulkachuwa by tysontim(m): 10:43am On Jun 06, 2019
Lol, from frying pan to fire. This delay tactics is enjoyable

18 Likes

Re: Atiku Weighs Options On Delay In Replacement For Bulkachuwa by GeorgeTheCoder: 11:03am On Jun 06, 2019
The almajiri janjawid who claimed to have won election is afraid along with his party of going to trial. That is the level of degradation we have sunk to in Nigeria

24 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Atiku Weighs Options On Delay In Replacement For Bulkachuwa by netpro(m): 11:26am On Jun 06, 2019
Atiku is Cumming to Cameroon grin

19 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Atiku Weighs Options On Delay In Replacement For Bulkachuwa by Nobody: 11:30am On Jun 06, 2019
Inec server go hear am. You picked a fight with the head of an institution and still wants that head to be sympathetic to your cause. Smh

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Atiku Weighs Options On Delay In Replacement For Bulkachuwa by chriskosherbal(m): 11:35am On Jun 06, 2019
This is my point if APC said thier candidate for the just concluded general election think they actually won with a huge margin and it was free and fair then there will be no need for this drama....cos what they are simply doing by this is sending a wrong signalvto the general public that there is more than meets the eye.

Am not on the side of either candidate here but I want this election tribunal buhaha thing to be a thing of the past and give way to proper governance. Be that as it may, NJC should not rubbish thier already managed image with this case .

God bless Nigeria.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Atiku Weighs Options On Delay In Replacement For Bulkachuwa by asfrank(m): 11:38am On Jun 06, 2019
just trying to put on a media war, the trial can proceed without the chairman. once the Panel has up to 4 judges present.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Atiku Weighs Options On Delay In Replacement For Bulkachuwa by truthfulparrot(m): 12:14pm On Jun 06, 2019
The removal of the former CJN Onnoghne may come back to haunt PMB and APC. Remember, it was the same Onnoghne that gave PMB a minority favorable judgement against all odds in the 2007 presidential election case.

The Supreme Court Judges may shock APC and PMB.............mark my words.

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Atiku Weighs Options On Delay In Replacement For Bulkachuwa by Peacecore: 12:19pm On Jun 06, 2019
Atiku is wasting his time jorh

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Atiku Weighs Options On Delay In Replacement For Bulkachuwa by Bragalane: 12:39pm On Jun 06, 2019
You PDP clown are funny. What did the constitution say about the duration the lady as to appointa replacement ?

If there is no specified timeframe the woman can wait a decade before making any appointment, PDP ruled for 16 years n couldn’t fix that problem they should enjoy the consequences of their failure while APC exploit it.

chriskosherbal:
This is my point if APC said thier candidate for the just concluded general election think they actually won with a huge margin and it was free and fair then there will be no need for this drama....cos what they are simply doing by this is sending a wrong signalvto the general public that there is more than meets the eye.

Am not on the side of either candidate here but I want this election tribunal buhaha thing to be a thing of the past and give way to proper governance. Be that as it may, NJC should not rubbish thier already managed image with this case .

God bless Nigeria.

20 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Atiku Weighs Options On Delay In Replacement For Bulkachuwa by Jealouzzee: 12:56pm On Jun 06, 2019
Interesting
Re: Atiku Weighs Options On Delay In Replacement For Bulkachuwa by contigiency(m): 12:57pm On Jun 06, 2019
If na me be that bulkachuwa i go just off my phone until time finish. Yeye people. You never sabi anything.

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Atiku Weighs Options On Delay In Replacement For Bulkachuwa by fergie001: 12:58pm On Jun 06, 2019
asfrank:
just trying to put on a media war, the trial can proceed without the chairman. once the Panel has up to 4 judges present.
Nope,the number of judges must be odd....

They have four now...so they need a fifth in case of a tie.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atiku Weighs Options On Delay In Replacement For Bulkachuwa by Nobody: 12:58pm On Jun 06, 2019
Make Atiku just die this matter abeg.
Him don lose be say him don lose.

We weh vote am don move on
Make him stop de give us hope abeg

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atiku Weighs Options On Delay In Replacement For Bulkachuwa by iammo(m): 12:58pm On Jun 06, 2019
grin

PDP are fools, since they wanted to spend time on frivolities then so shall it be

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atiku Weighs Options On Delay In Replacement For Bulkachuwa by tuoyoojo(m): 1:01pm On Jun 06, 2019
these guy are using every delay tactics in the book to subvert justice....

but u can only delay it.....that is the worst that can happen

i must salute Atiku's resilience

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atiku Weighs Options On Delay In Replacement For Bulkachuwa by Oluwa4u(m): 1:01pm On Jun 06, 2019
you can make money by monetizing your blog with adsense adverts. I have verified naija and UK Adsense for sale 0815 486.1294 whatsapp me
Re: Atiku Weighs Options On Delay In Replacement For Bulkachuwa by tesppidd: 1:02pm On Jun 06, 2019
jlinkd78:
The respect this woman would have garnered from d recuse acceptance is about being rubbished by this obvious delay tactics aimed at giving d APC an upper hand. PDP fears about this woman is now confirmed as she is pained and wants to frustrate their quest for justice. Ideally d number of days d appeal panel was without a head is supposed to be deducted from d statutory 180 days. The APC apologist below me keep enjoying d delay tactics
Which yeye respect?

Who are you fooling?

Even if the woman recuses herself from the judiciary, wailers would still mock her, never respect.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atiku Weighs Options On Delay In Replacement For Bulkachuwa by Nobody: 1:05pm On Jun 06, 2019
Bragalane:
You PDP clown are funny. What did the constitution say about the duration the lady as to appointa replacement ?

If there is no specified timeframe the woman can wait a decay before making any appointment, PDP ruled for 16 years n couldn’t fix that problem they should enjoy the consequences of their failure while APC exploit it.

the woman can wait a decay?
English!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atiku Weighs Options On Delay In Replacement For Bulkachuwa by BigIyanga: 1:05pm On Jun 06, 2019
chriskosherbal:

God bless Nigeria.
God is not going bless Naija when work is not done properly. Let justice be sought and won in the court of blind lady of justice. Let them do their job. GMB went to supreme court in all the elections he had lost.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atiku Weighs Options On Delay In Replacement For Bulkachuwa by tesppidd: 1:08pm On Jun 06, 2019
grin
contigiency:
If na me be that bulkachuwa i go just off my phone until time finish. Yeye people. You never sabi anything.

4 Likes

Re: Atiku Weighs Options On Delay In Replacement For Bulkachuwa by Nobody: 1:09pm On Jun 06, 2019
The way some APC apologists reasons, you just have to create a new level of low for them...

It's obvious the Bulkachuwa lady or whatever could not have given justice, PDP found this out and its playing out vividly.

This goes to show Both INEC and the APC rigged that election and cant defend it.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atiku Weighs Options On Delay In Replacement For Bulkachuwa by Kayouzka(m): 1:09pm On Jun 06, 2019
hmmmmm
check my signature for property at Ikorodu Lagos
Re: Atiku Weighs Options On Delay In Replacement For Bulkachuwa by Nobody: 1:10pm On Jun 06, 2019
Why the delay, why the funny tactics.. This isn't about PDP or APC it's about doing the right thing.. No man will be happy when he feels cheated. Today it might be Atiku tomorrow it might be YOU.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Buhari Will Not Accept Femi Fani-Kayode As APC Member - Dr Salihu Lukman lPGF DG / Sunday Igboho Crippled, Nnamdi Kanu Incarcerated, Gumi, Miyetti Allah Protected / Profile Of Dauda Lawal, Zamfara Governor-Elect

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.