Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,230 members, 7,811,636 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:17 PM

NGE Demands Revocation Of Suspension Order Of DAAR Licences - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NGE Demands Revocation Of Suspension Order Of DAAR Licences (20625 Views)

Rivers Govt Begins Demolition Of AIT, Daar Comms Office In Port Harcourt / 'Information Blackout' Against Media Bills: Newspapers, NUJ, NGE, NPAN Protest / Revocation Of Late Saraki’s Land: ‘Abdulrasaq Has Crossed The Line’ - Saraki (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

NGE Demands Revocation Of Suspension Order Of DAAR Licences by vegafbs: 11:34pm On Jun 06, 2019
https://nextedition.com.ng/2019/06/06/nge-demands-revocation-of-suspension-order-of-daar-licences/

The Nigerian Guild of Editors (NGE) has demanded immediate revocation of the suspension order of the licenses of DAAR Communication Plc, owners of AIT, Ray Power, and Faaji FM.

According to the Guild, the suspension order “runs contrary to the ideals of free speech and the fine tenets of press freedom.”

In a statement signed by its President, Mrs. Funke Egbemode, and General Secretary, Mrs. Mary Atolagbe, the Guild described the action of the National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) as a “case of Executive highhandedness,” adding “it paints our dear country in the darkest tar of dictatorship.”

The statement reads: “The Nigerian Guild of Editors (NGE) hereby condemns in very strong terms the indefinite suspension of the licenses of the African Independent Television, AIT, Ray Power by the National Broadcasting Commission (NBC).

“The Guild demands in clear terms the revocation of the suspension order as it runs contrary to the ideals of free speech and the fine tenets of press freedom. This is a case of Executive highhandedness and it paints our dear country in the darkest tar of dictatorship.

“The Fourth Estate of the Realm remains the watchdog of society and any attempt to gag it in any guise is an affront on democracy and the people. The NBC must and should rescind this ignoble and despicable decision.
“The Guild strongly believes the NBC action is a draconian form of regulation, being out of tune with democratic principles.
The Guild is concerned about the violation of the constitutional rights of DAAR Communications and the absence of media freedom, independence and the stifling of operations of media outfits which are performing their roles as the watchdog of the Nigerian society.

“The NGE condemns in strong terms the barbaric crackdown on the broadcast outfit and demands the immediate cessation of this atrocious repression and excessive show of power by the NBC, whose duty is to regulate and not kill the media.

“Muzzling the media and throwing thousands of Nigerians into the already saturated labor market should not be the trophy for good corporate governance of a regulator; it is something to be ashamed of and NBC should be ashamed at its action in a fledgling democracy in the 21st Century.

“The Guild is strongly of the opinion that the NBC, in exercising its regulatory powers, should concentrate on implementing policies that will position Nigeria’s broadcasting to compete in the global spheres, rather than engage in witch-hunting and unnecessary show of excessive force.
The Guild hereby expresses its solidarity with the AIT/Raypower family, urging the staff and management to remain calm as the Guild liaises with and other media professionals as well as well meaning Nigerians to get justice.

“The NGE appeals to President Muhammadu Buhari, GCFR, to use his good offices to call NBC to order.

“It is to be recalled that NBC had, before the 2019 general election, shut down Joy FM in Jos for violations of the broadcasting code. Last year, the NBC shut down Ekiti Radio/TV station. Shutting down stations and withdrawing licences are too extreme in the circumstance. There must be humane and saner ways to resolve disputes bordering on violation of the Broadcasting Code.”

7 Likes

Re: NGE Demands Revocation Of Suspension Order Of DAAR Licences by Lifestone(m): 11:51pm On Jun 06, 2019
Why do history repeats itself. Buhari as a Military Dictator, harassed, jailed and shut down several media houses between 1983 to August 1985. Ask The Guardian newspaper duo of Tunde Thompson and Nduka Iraboh. A Father that has to kill his child to be able to correct him or her is not worthy. PMB should call Modibo of NBC to order.

72 Likes 9 Shares

Re: NGE Demands Revocation Of Suspension Order Of DAAR Licences by saheedbadmus(m): 11:53pm On Jun 06, 2019
in Nigeria, Govt would frustrate u with every given opportunity if u antagonize them

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NGE Demands Revocation Of Suspension Order Of DAAR Licences by Bizlifelines201: 12:09am On Jun 07, 2019
vegafbs:
https://nextedition.com.ng/2019/06/06/nge-demands-revocation-of-suspension-order-of-daar-licences/

disputes bordering on violation of the Broadcasting Code.”

I honestly just don't get It, are these letters of caution not issued to DAAR? Is it not true that the NBC followed up with a meeting to draw the attention of the management of DAAR to the infractions? Should NBC just sit down as lameduck and not move against DAAR in the face of DAAR's alleged sustained intransigence and irresponsible professional conduct ?
Where were these BON and NGE in the face of the caution prior to the suspension? How come their own media houses don't do the nonsense DAAR is being alleged of and how does closing down of an irresponsible media organisation amount to gagging of the media?
If the DAAR management have not been encouraging their members of staff to behave recklessly, the
DAAR should be bold enough to fire their personnel messing up their relationship with the regulator.
I think NBC should go beyond sanctioning the corporate organisation and prosecute those members of staff of DAAR and/or report these individuals each to their professional group for investigation and discipline. I still don't know where a board led by High Chief Dokpesi who is on corruption trial for embezzling funds budgeted for prosecution of war against book harem, derived it's moral authority to be referred as member of the fourth estate of realm. I really commend NBC, they're more matured and gave enough ropes to DAAR unlike the case of SEC against OandO that didn't even release the report of infractions to OandO to defend itself before wielding the stick.
I urge the NBC not to be intimidated, they must fine DAAR, insist on a new editorial board for AIT and Raypower and ensure that it gets professional sanctions against the individual recalcitrant journalists posting hate speech etc to ensure that the innocent ones are not punished.
We can't afford to allow a few irresponsible unpatriotic citizens throw us into another needless war or another Rwanda tragedy. The task of nation building is serious business.
NBC should remain resolute like NCC did with MTN.

98 Likes 15 Shares

Re: NGE Demands Revocation Of Suspension Order Of DAAR Licences by Damsyjay(m): 12:22am On Jun 07, 2019
Lifestone:
Why do history repeats itself. Buhari as a Military Dictator, harassed, jailed and shut down several media houses between 1983 to August 1985. Ask The Guardian newspaper duo of Tunde Thompson and Nduka Iraboh. A Father that has to kill his child to be able to correct him or her is not worthy. PMB should call Modibo of NBC to order.
pele historian

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NGE Demands Revocation Of Suspension Order Of DAAR Licences by iornenge81(m): 4:59am On Jun 07, 2019
Demands that will never be met. What didn't they demand during NJC crisis

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: NGE Demands Revocation Of Suspension Order Of DAAR Licences by gnykelly(m): 5:02am On Jun 07, 2019
This can never be classified as witch hunting... DAAR communication has been forewarned of her activities which are contrary to the media law.. You can't be using social media hate post as a reference on national TV... It can escalate tension.

We can't sacrifice our frigile peace because you have freedom to talk any how...

Social media nonsense should stop there on Social media

43 Likes 7 Shares

Re: NGE Demands Revocation Of Suspension Order Of DAAR Licences by kaen1317: 5:06am On Jun 07, 2019
I am the most abused and insulted president in the world, but when I leave you will all remember me for the total freedom you enjoyed under my Government...GEJ

75 Likes 8 Shares

Re: NGE Demands Revocation Of Suspension Order Of DAAR Licences by Ultimatezlant: 5:09am On Jun 07, 2019
OK,

AIT has been quite partisan in its affairs with an extra effort to promote biased analysis.

People are quick to say trump doesn't disturb CNN that critise him forgetting that Trump himself walked out a CNN reporter out of a news conference for asking questions.

CNN was banned from covering white house until it was revoked by authorities, same Trump so critized CNN in any event that a member of the white supremasist group that killed Jews in Pittsburgh had pro trump and anti CNN images in his bus.

The difference in USA is that press is almost another arm of government which the president has little control of stopping

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: NGE Demands Revocation Of Suspension Order Of DAAR Licences by iammo(m): 5:12am On Jun 07, 2019
Re: NGE Demands Revocation Of Suspension Order Of DAAR Licences by iammo(m): 5:14am On Jun 07, 2019
angry

If we won't allow NBC do its job without sentimental interference, then let them pack and go.

Many people think they are hurting buhari, but unknowingly they are hurting Nigeria's own image, with countries like Ghana and kenya now trolling us.

Khakaki social basically lift off hate speech and inciteful comments on twitter and instablog9j.a

Imediately after the election, AIT aired an edition of moneyline with Nancy, and she went on and on trolling Northerners, saying the Nigerian Poverty wears the northern cap, openly saying northerners deserved "worst for voting PMB. That day i saw the painfull look on my aboki friend, the nonsense totaly ruined his mood for the day, that i had to leave his office.

This is a federal staff that is in an agency that can ruin nancy for life, without the directives of the president

51 Likes 8 Shares

Re: NGE Demands Revocation Of Suspension Order Of DAAR Licences by gnykelly(m): 5:15am On Jun 07, 2019
iammo:
angry

If we won't allow NBC do its job without sentimental interference, then let them pack and go

The question is that where was Nigeria guild of editors when NBC wrote to DAAR communications... Even we on nairaland saw the letter and we saw the part of media law they breached

31 Likes 4 Shares

Re: NGE Demands Revocation Of Suspension Order Of DAAR Licences by dheaven: 5:17am On Jun 07, 2019
Bizlifelines201:

I honestly just don't get It, are these letters of caution not issued to DAAR? Is it not true that the NBC followed up with a meeting to draw the attention of the management of DAAR to the infractions? Should NBC just sit down as lameduck and not move against DAAR in the face of DAAR's alleged sustained intransigence and irresponsible professional conduct ?
Where were these BON and NGE in the face of the caution prior to the suspension? How come their own media houses don't do the nonsense DAAR is being alleged of and how does closing down of an irresponsible media organisation amount to gagging of the media?
If the DAAR management have not been encouraging their members of staff to behave recklessly, the
DAAR should be bold enough to fire their personnel messing up their relationship with the regulator.
I think NBC should go beyond sanctioning the corporate organisation and prosecute those members of staff of DAAR and/or report these individuals each to their professional group for investigation and discipline. I still don't know where a board led by High Chief Dokpesi who is on corruption trial for embezzling funds budgeted for prosecution of war against book harem, derived it's moral authority to be referred as member of the fourth estate of realm. I really commend NBC, they're more matured and gave enough ropes to DAAR unlike the case of SEC against OandO that didn't even release the report of infractions to OandO to defend itself before wielding the stick.
I urge the NBC not to be intimidated, they must fine DAAR, insist on a new editorial board for AIT and Raypower and ensure that it gets professional sanctions against the individual recalcitrant journalists posting hate speech etc to ensure that the innocent ones are not punished.
We can't afford to allow a few irresponsible unpatriotic citizens throw us into another needless war or another Rwanda tragedy. The task of nation building is serious business.
NBC would have done better by shutting Facebook and twitter first because those are the headquarters of the hate speech they used as excuse.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: NGE Demands Revocation Of Suspension Order Of DAAR Licences by aolawale025: 5:19am On Jun 07, 2019
gnykelly:

The question is that where was Nigeria guild of editors when NBC wrote to DAAR communications... Even we on nairaland saw the letter and we saw the part of media law they breached

Not all manner of infraction should lead to closure. Something's not right

5 Likes

Re: NGE Demands Revocation Of Suspension Order Of DAAR Licences by iammo(m): 5:23am On Jun 07, 2019
gnykelly:

They are typical hypocrites

15 Likes

Re: NGE Demands Revocation Of Suspension Order Of DAAR Licences by revolt(m): 5:24am On Jun 07, 2019
iammo:
angry

If we won't allow NBC do its job without sentimental interference, then let them pack and go.

Many people think they are hurting buhari, but unknowingly they are hurting Nigeria's own image, with countries like Ghana and kenya now trolling us.

Khakaki social basically lift off hate speech and inciteful comments on twitter and instablog9j.a

Imediately after the election, AIT aired an edition of moneyline with Nancy, and she went on and on trolling Northerners, saying the Nigerian Poverty wears the northern cap
was that a lie?!!!

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NGE Demands Revocation Of Suspension Order Of DAAR Licences by kaen1317: 5:28am On Jun 07, 2019
Lifestone:
Modibo is not acting on his own Modibo is taking orders. This is just score settling by PMB from 2015 elections.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NGE Demands Revocation Of Suspension Order Of DAAR Licences by LZAA: 5:28am On Jun 07, 2019
Ultimatezlant:
OK,

AIT has been quite partisan in its affairs with an extra effort to promote biased analysis.

People are quick to say trump doesn't disturb CNN that critise him forgetting that Trump himself walked out a CNN reporter out of a news conference for asking questions.

CNN was banned from covering white house until it was revoked by authorities, same Trump so critized CNN in any event that a member of the white supremasist group that killed Jews in Pittsburgh had pro trump and anti CNN images in his bus.

The difference in USA is that press is almost another arm of government which the president has little control of stopping

Rule of law which is what is missing
Oh and about the press being part of the govt i think the fourth estate of the realm statement covers that

2 Likes

Re: NGE Demands Revocation Of Suspension Order Of DAAR Licences by iammo(m): 5:28am On Jun 07, 2019
revolt:
was that a lie?!!!

Are southeasterners not battling poverty, how many northerner had openly trolled igbo people for their many societal ills? Cos last time i checked ebonyi is rated among Nigerias poorest states competing with war ravaged northeast

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: NGE Demands Revocation Of Suspension Order Of DAAR Licences by Ibegtodiffer: 5:28am On Jun 07, 2019
Bizlifelines201:

You were making sense at the beginning of your write up. Immediately I saw that "Corruption" , you started sounding like government people, so I stopped reading.

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: NGE Demands Revocation Of Suspension Order Of DAAR Licences by gnykelly(m): 5:29am On Jun 07, 2019
aolawale025:

Not all manner of infraction should lead to closure. Something's not right

Maybe you need to understand the background of the story... It is not a spontaneous case... Series of events led to the decision

https://www.nairaland.com/5230094/why-suspended-ait-ray-power

Hopefully you will read

6 Likes

Re: NGE Demands Revocation Of Suspension Order Of DAAR Licences by israelmao(m): 5:30am On Jun 07, 2019
Since the birth of democracy in Nigeria we have never seen it in this manner but we are not surprised because we have an intolerant tyrant on the corridor of power.They have come with several measures to muzzle and gag the press and the very essence of democracy which is freedom of expression.When the one that calls himself President referred to the inhabitants of FCT as "NECESSARY EVIL" it wasn't hate speech.Anyone that has dissenting opinion from theirs is regarded as a violator of law.They shut down media outfit where many Nigerians are earning their daily bread to create more poverty and unemployment.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: NGE Demands Revocation Of Suspension Order Of DAAR Licences by Adeyinka123: 5:33am On Jun 07, 2019
Bizlifelines201:

Truth be told even if it is bitter

6 Likes

Re: NGE Demands Revocation Of Suspension Order Of DAAR Licences by gnykelly(m): 5:33am On Jun 07, 2019
revolt:
was that a lie?!!!
Even if it is true that kind of comment is not fit for national TV

3 Likes

Re: NGE Demands Revocation Of Suspension Order Of DAAR Licences by gnykelly(m): 5:33am On Jun 07, 2019
revolt:
was that a lie?!!!
Even if it is true that kind of comment is not fit for national TV
Re: NGE Demands Revocation Of Suspension Order Of DAAR Licences by Staro: 5:33am On Jun 07, 2019
Bizlifelines201:

Zombie spotted

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NGE Demands Revocation Of Suspension Order Of DAAR Licences by awoluyi(m): 5:37am On Jun 07, 2019
NBC, why now? Please give back DAAR it's operating licence . This is the year I am expecting dividend for the shares I bought in the company in 2005.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nigerian Senate Makes Case For Nuclear Energy / The Delusion Of Grandeur Of Ahmadu Bello At Independence In 1960 / Thisday Bomber Cried For Missing Heaven - Witness.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.