Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,661 members, 7,816,698 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:31 PM

Senate Presidency: Goje’s Withdrawal Divides PDP Caucus - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Presidency: Goje’s Withdrawal Divides PDP Caucus (22109 Views)

Atiku/Wike Face Off Divides PDP In Cross River State / 2023 Presidency: Atiku Divides PDP Governors / Ondo Deputy Governor Divides PDP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senate Presidency: Goje’s Withdrawal Divides PDP Caucus by kahal29: 5:53am On Jun 08, 2019
Senator Danjuma Goje’s decision to withdraw from the Senate presidency race to back his All Progressives Congress colleague, Senator Ahmed Lawan, has allegedly caused division among the Peoples Democratic Party senators-elect.

Goje and Lawan were in the race alongside their APC colleague, Ali Ndume, but Goje decided to endorse Lawan after a meeting with President Muhammadu Buhari on Thursday.

Investigations by our correspondents revealed that the majority of the PDP lawmakers-elect in the Red Chamber had been pushing for Goje’s adoption by the PDP for the position before the former Gombe State governor announced his withdrawal.

Meanwhile, the National Working Committee of the PDP is expected to decide whether their 44 members-elect to the 9th Senate should cast their votes for one candidate or vote according to their conscience at the end of their ongoing consultations with the lawmakers.

However, indications that there is already division among the PDP caucus appeared on Friday when five senators elected on the party’s platform attended an event in Abuja where Lawan unfolded his agenda.

The PDP lawmakers in attendance, who also pledged their support for Lawan, were the Chairman, Senate Committee on Public Accounts, Senator Mathew Uroghide (Edo), and Clifford Odia also from Edo State.

Others were Abba Moro (Benue), Gershom Bassey (Cross River) and Lawali Anka (Zamfara).

The PDP Senator representing Delta North, Peter Nwaoboshi, had earlier told reporters that he would vote for Lawan in accordance with the directive of his constituents.

Two of the PDP senators-elect told one of our correspondents on condition of anonymity that their decision to support Lawan was personal and in line with the aspirations of their constituents.

They also confirmed that the party’s caucus was divided over the issue.

One of them said, “Our decision to support Lawan is in the overall interest of Nigerians. We need to move the country forward and it is better to elect a leader who has the backing of the party and the Presidency.

“Lawan has been able to convince us that the nation’s parliament will not be a rubber stamp under his leadership and we believe him. I think it is better to have a smooth relationship between the executive and the legislature in the best interest of our people.”

Moro said the support for Lawan was based on his (Moro’s) conviction that Lawan had the best agenda.

PDP and whatever opinion I am expressing now as a member of the party is personal to me.

“I can assure you that the PDP as an organised body will definitely make a statement and take a position on it.”

Asked if he would defy his party and support Lawan if the PDP directs its 44 members to vote for another candidate , Moro said, “When we come to the river, we would cross the bridge.

“I am supporting Lawan because he has a very good resume. He is one of the longest serving legislators in this country and the Leader of the Senate. He is the best candidate for this job, for now.”

Further investigations revealed that other PDP senators already supporting Lawan would make their position know via the ballot on Tuesday, June 11.

https://punchng.com/senate-presidency-gojes-withdrawal-divides-pdp-caucus/

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Presidency: Goje’s Withdrawal Divides PDP Caucus by Wantedmiller: 6:01am On Jun 08, 2019
and somebody told me that PDP will learn their lesson........ I don't think so

3 Likes

Re: Senate Presidency: Goje’s Withdrawal Divides PDP Caucus by micgray100(m): 6:23am On Jun 08, 2019
Naija
Re: Senate Presidency: Goje’s Withdrawal Divides PDP Caucus by aolawale025: 6:24am On Jun 08, 2019
Goje didn't appear like a serious candidate. Maybe he just wanted a deal. Which he got

12 Likes

Re: Senate Presidency: Goje’s Withdrawal Divides PDP Caucus by Nobody: 6:24am On Jun 08, 2019
I pity APC, you think pdp won't have any plan? Then you people are fools

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senate Presidency: Goje’s Withdrawal Divides PDP Caucus by Onlinealaba(m): 6:25am On Jun 08, 2019
No matter how PDP strategize this is a sure fatality and it will take an effective plan B to beat the popular ruling party candidate

Check my signature/website, get your electronics, SMART TVs, air conditioners, washing machines and sound bars at affordable rate,payment on delivery, BUY4ME services available too with POD option

4 Likes

Re: Senate Presidency: Goje’s Withdrawal Divides PDP Caucus by ishawlar: 6:26am On Jun 08, 2019
All our leaders dey crazy

2 Likes

Re: Senate Presidency: Goje’s Withdrawal Divides PDP Caucus by iammo(m): 6:26am On Jun 08, 2019
cool

Lets wait and see if another Saraki would be bold enough to hijack the process of electing principal office holder, with the help of PDP and their fake sms.. or they would simply obey the president and APC supremacy

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Presidency: Goje’s Withdrawal Divides PDP Caucus by dadavivo: 6:27am On Jun 08, 2019
Believe Punch at your own risk, they just sit down and start writing rubbish just to sell their dying papers.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senate Presidency: Goje’s Withdrawal Divides PDP Caucus by Horo(m): 6:27am On Jun 08, 2019
Before nko pdp has been divided for long and so shall it remain divided

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Senate Presidency: Goje’s Withdrawal Divides PDP Caucus by tesppidd: 6:27am On Jun 08, 2019
Nonsense!

All this nonsense wouldn't be happening if APC didn't have divisions all over the place.

Now PDP wants to install an SP despite being minority,

Something they would never accept during their tenure.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Senate Presidency: Goje’s Withdrawal Divides PDP Caucus by slizzyb(m): 6:28am On Jun 08, 2019
Ok

1 Like

Re: Senate Presidency: Goje’s Withdrawal Divides PDP Caucus by kaen1317: 6:29am On Jun 08, 2019
As we welcome the new NASS just know there can never be another Saraki

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Presidency: Goje’s Withdrawal Divides PDP Caucus by Nig4Greatness: 6:34am On Jun 08, 2019
Dumb journalism...Goje was never in the running because he never declared publicly his desire for the seat.He himself said so,don't know where PDP and it's agents got their own declaration from.
Re: Senate Presidency: Goje’s Withdrawal Divides PDP Caucus by kaen1317: 6:36am On Jun 08, 2019
Saraki was certainly not a rubber stamp SP

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Presidency: Goje’s Withdrawal Divides PDP Caucus by straighttalk(m): 6:38am On Jun 08, 2019
ok
Re: Senate Presidency: Goje’s Withdrawal Divides PDP Caucus by Acedave1(m): 6:38am On Jun 08, 2019
mtcheew,

watin concern efcc wit messi money.

anytin wey dem lik mak do, i go stil survive

1 Like

Re: Senate Presidency: Goje’s Withdrawal Divides PDP Caucus by BrainSanitizer: 6:39am On Jun 08, 2019
Hmmm

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Senate Presidency: Goje’s Withdrawal Divides PDP Caucus by muykem: 6:41am On Jun 08, 2019
PDP member in the house has realized that they have nothing to gain by being in opposition to the president.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Presidency: Goje’s Withdrawal Divides PDP Caucus by bewla(m): 6:41am On Jun 08, 2019
he pain u drink water

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Senate Presidency: Goje’s Withdrawal Divides PDP Caucus by candygist: 6:43am On Jun 08, 2019
Igbobyblood:
I pity APC, you think pdp won't have any plan? Then you people are fools

PDP as never had a good plan for Nigeria before .Nigeria would have been a better place if they did. They only plan evil, how to share money and divide Nigeria .

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Presidency: Goje’s Withdrawal Divides PDP Caucus by candygist: 6:45am On Jun 08, 2019
kaen1317:
As we welcome the new NASS just know there can never be another Saraki

Who Saraki epp ?

8 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Adewale Adeyemo Appointed Obama Foundation First President / IPOB Is The Biggest Enemy Of The South-East - Adamu Garba / Mother Of Jumoke, "Yoruba Nation" Rally Victim Gets Help From Sanwo-Olu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.