Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,108 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:05 AM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 - Travel (453) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (1361274 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (450) (451) (452) (453) (454) (455) (456) ... (779) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Paragontek: 9:08pm On May 10, 2020
sonofakin:
What the whole academic/immigration world are trying to do is to stay positive and maybe be prepared incase things turn out well. A lot of recommendations are being made by the stakeholders concerned to adapt to the situation. Schools, SEVP, USCIS are all trying to modify policies to suit the current situation. An example is allowing schools to send i20 to students' school email addresses. Everyone is only trying to be hopeful, preparing for both the worst and the best, the alternative is doing nothing at all. Worst case scenario, one can defer the admission. Good for you that you got admission and funding and good for you that you are sad about it but everyone must not share your pessimism
Excellent reply.

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Futuragetty: 9:21pm On May 10, 2020
Micholo5:

Hi

WES is an instituted body that evaluates credentials.
So they typically do the conversion from one standard to another.(you know we have different educational & credential standard all over the world)
So they help an applicant convert his result/credential to the required standard of a college, so the US colleges can have a uniform criteria for vetting the applicants.
So your WASSCE result needs to be evaluated, there's a fee to pay for this service, I am not sure of the cost.(you can google WES EVALUATION, then proceed from there, you can also share your experience with us once you've evaluated)

In my own case, I hold the NECO result which is not generally accepted, so I won't be needing an evaluation. Rather, I will take a standardized exam such as the SAT, ACT or other A-Level program.
Lol. Neco results can be evaluated. I don't see any reason why it cannot be accepted for evaluation. It's standard matches and even surpass that of WAEC.
Try ECE.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by orlahtohbadt(m): 9:28pm On May 10, 2020
Futuragetty:

Lol. Neco results can be evaluated. I don't see any reason why it cannot be accepted for evaluation. It's standard matches and even surpass that of WAEC.
Try ECE.
NECO matches WAEC fine but surpasses bi ti bawo? Anyway, NECO can be evaluated using WES from firsthand experience.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Futuragetty: 9:29pm On May 10, 2020
Predstan:

It doesnt matter if you have WAEC or not, if the school requirements includes SAT, you must write SAT. The only exam that can replace the high school qualification are HIset and GED. SAT is also one important test if you want funding.

So I advise you to go sit for SAT and break into your choice of program
I agree.
@Mickolo, for your SAT prep, Check Pdfdrive.com
December SAT is the last test score report accepted by most Colleges. so ensure you registered on time, since you its your first attempt grin
Predstan:

It doesnt matter if you have WAEC or not, if the school requirements includes SAT, you must write SAT. The only exam that can replace the high school qualification are HIset and GED. SAT is also one important test if you want funding.

So I advise you to go sit for SAT and break into your choice of program
I agree.
@Mickolo, for your SAT prep, Check Pdfdrive.com
December SAT is the last test score report accepted by most Colleges.
Nov 7 is also the deadline for most colleges.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Futuragetty: 9:32pm On May 10, 2020
orlahtohbadt:
NECO matches WAEC fine but surpasses bi ti bawo? Anyway, NECO can be evaluated using WES from firsthand experience.
it does surpass WAEC in terms of standard, can you compare your Waec grade report against Neco?
just that Waec so written in more countries. nothing more.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by orlahtohbadt(m): 9:34pm On May 10, 2020
Futuragetty:

it does surpass WAEC in terms of standard, can you compare your Waec grade report against the Waec?
just that Waec so written in more countries. nothing more.
Please re-read your reply and make corrections because I don't understand what you mean.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sheke01: 10:26pm On May 10, 2020
sonofakin:
What the whole academic/immigration world are trying to do is to stay positive and maybe be prepared incase things turn out well. A lot of recommendations are being made by the stakeholders concerned to adapt to the situation. Schools, SEVP, USCIS are all trying to modify policies to suit the current situation. An example is allowing schools to send i20 to students' school email addresses. Everyone is only trying to be hopeful, preparing for both the worst and the best, the alternative is doing nothing at all. Worst case scenario, one can defer the admission. Good for you that you got admission and funding and good for you that you are sad about it but everyone must not share your pessimism

Even while you try to be optimistic also try to be reasonable.

The press secretary to the US vice president tested positive to Covid 19 last Friday. Panic is high once again. Borders remain closed. Lots of temporary visitors are stuck in the US with no viable way of leaving. Lots of H1B and OPT workers that recently lost their jobs will become illegal by July if something miraculous doesn't happen between now and then and you think what the DHS is thinking right now is how to send their citizens to African countries to reopen their embassies and conduct visa interviews for potential fall semester students and bring them to the country without a vaccine

Please tamper your optimism with actual reality. The impact of Covid 19 is bigger than what you see on the surface
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Micholo5(m): 10:36pm On May 10, 2020
Futuragetty:

Try ECE.
I didn't say it can't be evaluated, I said it's not generally accepted. I have had video sessions with various colleges' admission officers and I was outrightly told that they don't accept NECO, so am 100% sure of this.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sonofakin: 10:43pm On May 10, 2020
There's nothing to be reasonable about here. It isn't like I have anything to lose, also, optimism doesn't cost anything, at least it isn't costing me anything. My point to the guy is everyone has the right to be optimistic.
We are all adults here. I'm not advising anyone to pay SEVIS or MRV fee. From recent posts on this thread,
all I see people posting are how they can get funding or schools they can apply to with no application fee and standardized tests waived. Tell me how that hurts anyone. At worst, you get the admission and defer or you don't even get it at all. All of which happens even during the pre-covid era. Same with Visa getting denied and hopes of travelling dashed.
sheke01:

The press secretary to the US vice president tested positive to Covid 19 last Friday. Panic is high once again. Borders remain closed. Lots of temporary visitors are stuck in the US with no viable way of leaving. Lots of H1B and OPT workers that recently lost their jobs will become illegal by July if something miraculous doesn't happen between now and then and you think what the DHS is thinking right now is how to send their citizens to African countries to reopen their embassies and conduct visa interviews for potential fall semester students and bring them to the country without a vaccine

Please tamper your optimism with actual reality. The impact of Covid 19 is bigger than what you see on the surface

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by kastgeraldino: 12:49am On May 11, 2020
sonofakin:
There's nothing to be reasonable about here. It isn't like I have anything to lose, also, optimism doesn't cost anything, at least it isn't costing me anything. My point to the guy is everyone has the right to be optimistic.
We are all adults here. I'm not advising anyone to pay SEVIS or MRV fee. From recent posts on this thread,
all I see people posting are how they can get funding or schools they can apply to with no application fee and standardized tests waived. Tell me how that hurts anyone. At worst, you get the admission and defer or you don't even get it at all. All of which happens even during the pre-covid era. Same with Visa getting denied and hopes of travelling dashed.

I get your point. It's just that for some of us who have mentally checked out of work or who are at a certain age in which deferring for one year seems like a lifetime, it's hard not to feel tired and defeated. Optimism should be the logical or reasonable approach, but there are certain factors that impede such positivity. It is well.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Eniolakiite(f): 2:06am On May 11, 2020
Congrats on your admission and full funding.

Times like this pandemic situation are uncertain for everyone. This thing is global which is the more reason one should be positive and just see how things unfold. Everyone is affected one way or the other. Plans are affected one way or the other. No need to be sad or worried honestly.
You’re alive and that’s something.
All the best.

kastgeraldino:
I find it interesting how people are still hopeful about the possibility of resuming this year despite all that is happening. I got full funding to a top 30 US MBA program but I don't feel excited at all, given the uncertainties. I wish I could be more positive but it's hard.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 6:43am On May 11, 2020
horlahsunbo225:
Finally BGSU admission don land ooo grin

Cc geewin69
Blessing456
Robato

Congratulations on your admission.Did they send your I-20 form along?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by horlahsunbo225(m): 7:32am On May 11, 2020
judithidoghogm:

No
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Stevenssen(m): 8:22am On May 11, 2020
sheke01:

People coming in isn't the problem, visitors to a country can always undergo a compulsory and monitored two weeks quarantine once they arrive.
Australia and New Zealand have the strictest border restrictions during this pandemic and they have confirmed they will open their borders for international students to enter. UK have also introduced the two week quarantine.

The problem is embassies reopening and when they decide to do so.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Phatkings: 8:37am On May 11, 2020
Good morning all I am new to this age any help will be much appreciated. I want to pursue s degree in msc supply chain management. I need guidelines on how to go about it, admission process :, application process and suggested universities thank you
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by francophone134: 8:53am On May 11, 2020
sonofakin:
congrats bro. Pls iv sent u a dm, i wana find out smtin from u.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by JustSomeDude(m): 8:57am On May 11, 2020
Micholo5:

Yes, Its either of the two not both, so you can take the SAT, that way, you won't be needing WES Evaluation.

(please confirm this from other sources, I am not 100% sure)
Application is still on going at Augsburg University till July 28. According to the school's website SAT is not required for admission purposes but it maybe submitted. All high school transcripts are evaluated by Augsburg and they do not require official evaluations of high school transcripts. The school's got juicy scholarships, I'll love to give it a try.
And pls, when do you intend on posting the Dropbox link for the transcript?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by priscai(m): 2:18pm On May 11, 2020
[quote author=Rabato post=89366545]
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by timidot(m): 2:57pm On May 11, 2020
It doesnt work that way thou cos for you to get I-20 form u need to fill ur form and pay except the payment for Sives hv been waived which I'm not sure I'm about sending my form to get my I20 too

judithidoghogm:

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by timidot(m): 2:58pm On May 11, 2020
Plss can u tell me how u went about it I uv my Admission letter already thou no funding

priscai:

Yes I have.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by UhnNah: 3:26pm On May 11, 2020
sheke01:

You’re analyzing like a Nigerian and not with FACTS!! So people should just cancel their dream of schooling abroad?! The right thing to do is have hope! It’s already getting better because countries are willing to open back their economies with the virus still lingering around! We just have to live with it till we find a permanent solution! State of Florida alone brings in around $40 billion per year from tourism and you think the economy will remain closed because government officials caught the virus? We’ve passed the ‘panic’ phase of the virus! We’re in the take responsibility phase of it!

It’s getting better...

8 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fedabol(m): 3:57pm On May 11, 2020
Hey guys, I am new here, I got admitted to WIU with part scholarships. May i ask if it is wise to still pay SEVIS fee now considering the closure of the whole situations around embassy closure and all, Or is it wise to wait a while before paying at a later date?

Thank you.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sheke01: 4:33pm On May 11, 2020
UhnNah:

You’re analyzing like a Nigerian and not with FACTS!! So people should just cancel their dream of schooling abroad?! The right thing to do is have hope! It’s already getting better because countries are willing to open back their economies with the virus still lingering around! We just have to live with it till we find a permanent solution! State of Florida alone brings in around $40 billion per year from tourism and you think the economy will remain closed because government officials caught the virus? We’ve passed the ‘panic’ phase of the virus! We’re in the take responsibility phase of it!

It’s getting better...

Am not here to exchange words or call names. No one is saying people should cancel their dream of schooling abroad, all am saying is that there is a 95% chance that there won't be international students in the US come fall semester so guys should think plan B. The wise ones are already doing so, the overly optimistic ones that like to hear only what they want to hear are still dreaming of embassy reopening, successful visa interview and Trumpland in fall.

The world economy is in shambles. International students in the US are dreaming of applying for economic hardship to survive. DHS knows this and they also know that it would be extremely difficult for international students to spend tens of thousands of dollars in tuition and other expenses right now.

Summer semester is entirely online. Schools don't even know if they will have fall semester, if it will be online or how many seats will be taken out of classes if they decide to do physical classes. All this factors have not been decided for fall semester which is 3 months away. Schools were the first institution to shut down due to Covid 19 and they will likely be the last to open up

The POTUS is screaming open the economy, states are doing whatever they like, city mayors are going against their state governors and people are scared to go back to work even if they reopen.

The US death rate is almost at 80,000. Florida might open their beaches. Nevada that has similar economy like Florida is not even talking about reopening. There is talk of a worse hit second wave in fall and you think they will be want to accommodate international student as early as fall. I laugh in swahili

It's easy to say "things are getting better", what aspect is exactly getting better?

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by TrojanSnail: 5:05pm On May 11, 2020
sheke01:

Am not here to exchange words or call names. No one is saying people should cancel their dream of schooling abroad, all am saying is that there is a 95% chance that there won't be international students in the US come fall semester so guys should think plan B. The wise ones are already doing so, the overly optimistic ones that like to hear only what they want to hear are still dreaming of embassy reopening, successful visa interview and Trumpland in fall.

The world economy is in shambles. International students in the US are dreaming of applying for economic hardship to survive. DHS knows this and they also know that it would be extremely difficult for international students to spend tens of thousands of dollars in tuition and other expenses right now.

Summer semester is entirely online. Schools don't even know if they will have fall semester, if it will be online or how many seats will be taken out of classes if they decide to do physical classes. All this factors have not been decided for fall semester which is 3 months away. Schools were the first institution to shut down due to Covid 19 and they will likely be the last to open up

The POTUS is screaming open the economy, states are doing whatever they like, city mayors are going against their state governors and people are scared to go back to work even if they reopen.

The US death rate is almost at 80,000. Florida might open their beaches. Nevada that has similar economy like Florida is not even talking about reopening. There is talk of a worse hit second wave in fall and you think they will be want to accommodate international student as early as fall. I laugh in swahili

It's easy to say "things are getting better", what aspect is exactly getting better?

Your " realistic" arguments is based on deep pessimism, how does people being optimistic hurt you exactly?! Cos I'm not understanding

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by wongwe: 5:16pm On May 11, 2020
TrojanSnail:

Your " realistic" arguments is based on deep pessimism, how does people being optimistic hurt you exactly?! Cos I'm not understanding

All i can say here is that our argument (no matter how valid or invalid) has nothing to do with the the reopening of international borders. Hence, we should rather commit ourselves to prayers, positive spirit and mindset. We should all see that this is a global war of pandemic that is way more than our desire to port out of Nigeria. We all need God intervention

So our argument should be channeled towards encouragement, patience and prayer. Things will not be like this forever. We shouldn't pick argument over what we can't control. I wish you'll peace

4 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Stevenssen(m): 5:17pm On May 11, 2020
sheke01:

Lol many schools have already confirmed they will open for the fall. In fact most of them will, but will place a lot of measures.

As for people coming in, you think the US borders will be closed till next year? That's unrealistic.
Lockdowns were only enacted cos countries wanted to control the virus, US haven't been able to do that and activities are already opening up. UK didn't even close their borders at all, they only introduced quarantine for incoming travelers two days ago.

As I said before, the only problem is when embassies will reopen. Those with their visas already will probably be able to travel to US for the fall semester. Embassies remain closed cos most countries are under some sort of lockdown and have restricted movement.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sonofakin: 5:33pm On May 11, 2020
Congrats on your admission. SEVIS fee expires so I would not advise you to pay. I think you should just get your payment channel/contact ready. If things open up fine and if it doesn't, you wouldn't be losing anything
fedabol:
Hey guys, I am new here, I got admitted to WIU with part scholarships. May i ask if it is wise to still pay SEVIS fee now considering the closure of the whole situations around embassy closure and all, Or is it wise to wait a while before paying at a later date?

Thank you.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Micholo5(m): 5:45pm On May 11, 2020
JustSomeDude:
Application is still on going at Augsburg University till July 28. According to the school's website SAT is not required for admission purposes but it maybe submitted. All high school transcripts are evaluated by Augsburg and they do not require official evaluations of high school transcripts. The school's got juicy scholarships, I'll love to give it a try.
And pls, when do you intend on posting the Dropbox link for the transcript?
Transcript Samples.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_1h_PTEz__u10X_T4efPcZwtqeEQLMtm/view?usp=drivesdk

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by JustSomeDude(m): 5:48pm On May 11, 2020
Micholo5:

Transcript Samples.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_1h_PTEz__u10X_T4efPcZwtqeEQLMtm/view?usp=drivesdk
Thanks a lot.
And I sent a request to access it.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Lilly001(m): 5:55pm On May 11, 2020
Good day guys

Are people still writing GRE and TOEFL in Lagos and/or Ibadan? Even with the pandemic
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Micholo5(m): 6:06pm On May 11, 2020
JustSomeDude:
Thanks a lot.
And I sent a request to access it.
You should be able to access it now.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Eniolakiite(f): 6:10pm On May 11, 2020
If we are actually being realistic, we will understand that this lockdown can't continue forever, sooner or later, everyone will have to adjust and incorporate personal protective measures. My school has emailed us that fall semester will be fully on campus and that measures will be put in place to keep everyone safe. States are already opening here. And even here in New York where we have the highest cases, people are slowly going back to work and Governor Cuomo has said hopefully by June, the state will open. Flights have started movement again two days ago in New York. In every situation, choose to remain positive. You can have other plans and take other steps but nothing wrong with remaining positive.
Better to be prepared.

sheke01:

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (450) (451) (452) (453) (454) (455) (456) ... (779)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? / Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.