Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,103 members, 7,818,294 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:09 PM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 - Travel (708) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (1361384 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (705) (706) (707) (708) (709) (710) (711) ... (779) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Loloking: 1:43pm On Nov 25, 2020
Hollyholy:
Hey guys.

I cried all night and still crying after being denied yesterday.

I totally tended up and blanked out.

Last night all my responses kept flowing in my head and sounded like I was muttering gibberish.

I feel so hopeless.

It was like someone else possessed my body as all I heard rehearsed flew out of my head.

I sent an email to my program director and her response brought more tears to my eyes.

She said she will keep the admission open all through next year, hoping I can join them.

I am afraid to book another date and go through another heartbreak.

I am hiding in my office toilet as I type still crying
I feel so sad

I understand this feeling well enough but I didn’t cry even though my interview was based on the VO subjectiveness. I replayed everything in my head till the next day. My family were all calling Nd texting I love you to me all day. They were my reason for getting out of that sadness. You will be fine and remember better data ahead.

Better days ahead I mean. Please reach out to your family. Talk to someone. You will be fine in Jesus name.

21 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Loloking: 1:53pm On Nov 25, 2020
Friedpotato:
Please if any previously denied person has been able to choose a date, please be kind to inform the rest of us

I noticed that the previously refused which was 6months is now two months. Dates are filling fast so I picked a date on April, when dates comes for the previously refused, I will reschedule. I have been checking how dates are filling from January to April and the never bring back those months back. I told my brothers over there and they said it’s a smart choice. What do you think?

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Friedpotato: 2:10pm On Nov 25, 2020
Loloking:

I noticed that the previously refused which was 6months is now two months. Dates are filling fast so I picked a date on April, when dates comes for the previously refused, I will reschedule. I have been checking how dates are filling from January to April and the never bring back those months back. I told my brothers over there and they said it’s a smart choice. What do you think?
I honestly don't know what to think. I've scheduled a date for April too, hoping they bring out dates for previously refused soon.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by yinkhar(f): 2:37pm On Nov 25, 2020
Hollyholy:
Hey guys.

Last night all my responses kept flowing in my head and sounded like I was muttering gibberish.

I feel so hopeless.

It was like someone else possessed my body as all I heard rehearsed flew out of my head.

I sent an email to my program director and her response brought more tears to my eyes.

She said she will keep the admission open all through next year, hoping I can join them.

I am hiding in my office toilet as I type still crying.

I feel so sad

I don’t know how to comfort you but please take heart. Book another appointment and practice more with prayers

4 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by klawaaa: 3:56pm On Nov 25, 2020
Being denied Visa does not really mean someone should be heartbroken because it is just the beginning of the adoption of the new normal.Travelling abroad is just giving you the opportunity to work hard and see your rewards as against Nigeria system where hardwork is rarely rewarded. However, travelling abroad has uncertainties attached to it. I would say it is the process of adoption. So, get use to it; rekindle , restrategise and bounce back!
Loloking:

I understand this feeling well enough but I didn’t cry even though my interview was based on the VO subjectiveness. I replayed everything in my head till the next day. My family were all calling Nd texting I love you to me all day. They were my reason for getting out of that sadness. You will be fine and remember better data ahead.

Better days ahead I mean. Please reach out to your family. Talk to someone. You will be fine in Jesus name.

5 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Friedpotato: 4:01pm On Nov 25, 2020
klawaaa:
Being denied Visa does not really mean someone should be heartbroken because it is just the beginning of the adoption of the new normal.Travelling abroad is just giving you the opportunity to work hard and see your rewards as against Nigeria system where hardwork is rarely rewarded. However, travelling abroad has uncertainties attached to it. I would say it is the process of adoption. So, get use to it; rekindle , restrategise and bound back!
all you said except your first sentence is good.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by klawaaa: 4:22pm On Nov 25, 2020
Both chem eng and chemistry depts of university of Utah waived GRE and application fees. Good location, good program and huge stipend. But, early app bird though.
Molly90:
Quite a number of schools are waiving GRE even for Engineering programs. Also I notice it's easier getting full funding for chemical engineering programs. Check University of Alabama Tuscaloosa. Do your research on different schools and apply early as deadlines are fast approaching.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Hollyholy: 4:34pm On Nov 25, 2020
Thank you guys for all your words, I read every comment twice. I really appreciate and feel a sense of calm now.

Thank you

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sonofakin: 4:39pm On Nov 25, 2020
One is allowed to be heartbroken when they are denied anything in life.
klawaaa:
Being denied Visa does not really So, get use to it; rekindle , restrategise and bounce back!

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Ftos: 5:21pm On Nov 25, 2020
Hollyholy:
Hey guys.

I feel so hopeless.

I feel so sad

Please, don't feel so bad! Remember how you you felt when you were called to give a presentation for the first time, that was how you appeared before the VO. Nothing is wrong with you. You can go again. Winners never quit and quitters never win

9 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by CaptainMarvell: 6:25pm On Nov 25, 2020
Hello Everyone!
I know this is absolutely unusual, but please I really need help. I've been refraining from posting this, but I don't have any options because I wasn't awarded any of the recent external Scholarships I have been banking on (I've been sponsoring myself through this). I am an undergraduate and my interview is in two weeks. To be very honest, currently, I don't have any means of paying my sevis fee before that time. Please I would really appreciate help from anyone, from anywhere. Please don't air me�. Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by LagosismyHome(f): 6:34pm On Nov 25, 2020
CaptainMarvell:
Hello Everyone!
I know this is absolutely unusual, but please I really need help. I've been refraining from posting this, but I don't have any options because I wasn't awarded any of the recent external Scholarships I have been banking on (I've been sponsoring myself through this). I am an undergraduate and my interview is in two weeks. To be very honest, currently, I don't have any means of paying my sevis fee before that time. Please I would really appreciate help from anyone, from anywhere. Please don't air me�. Thank you.

Why not school in nigeria..... sevis fee is a tiny fraction of what is to be spent for someone without scholarship .... undergrad is a whole 4 years . You want to do 4 years of struggle?

4 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by CaptainMarvell: 6:41pm On Nov 25, 2020
Yes I know, but I already have a full scholarship from the school I'd be attending. The external Scholarships I was talking about are those Scholarships like UNCF that help students cover additional costs like travel expenses.

LagosismyHome:

Why not school in nigeria..... sevis fee is a tiny fraction of what is to be spent for someone without scholarship .... undergrad is a whole 4 years . You want to do 4 years of struggle?

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by majorstark: 8:08pm On Nov 25, 2020
Geewin69:
SEVIS fee for studies in the United States is $350. No longer $200.

Thanks
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by majorstark: 8:10pm On Nov 25, 2020
Hollyholy:
Hey guys.

I feel so hopeless.

I feel so sad

I can assist with a mock interview and possibly prepare an answer for you

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by LagosismyHome(f): 8:17pm On Nov 25, 2020
CaptainMarvell:
Yes I know, but I already have a full scholarship from the school I'd be attending. The external Scholarships I was talking about are those Scholarships like UNCF that help students cover additional costs like travel expenses.

Cool and congrats on your scholarship

All the best and I hope you find what you need

5 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Chonco: 8:56pm On Nov 25, 2020
If you're for Fall 2021 and still have not or maybe have found a Full funding PhD and MSc programs, kindly indicate or share.
Anyone with Full funding in Public Health MSc, kindly assist.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Asguard: 9:30pm On Nov 25, 2020
Hollyholy:
Thank you guys for all your words, I read every comment twice. I really appreciate and feel a sense of calm now.

Thank you

Hey don't tell anyone! I've been denied three times and you know what? I'm getting it the next time I go there. That should give you some sort of assuage to whatever it is you're going through, best of luck.

15 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by oloriesther(f): 9:33pm On Nov 25, 2020
Hello everyone,
Hubby got his F2 visa approved on 23rd Nov in Lagos using the i-20 emailed by my university. Can he travel with the emailed copy sent by the school and present at the port of entry because the university says they are not mailing i-20 by postage at the moment? Has anyone travelled to the USA in recent times with printed copy of emailed i-20 presented at the port of entry?

4 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by LagosismyHome(f): 9:35pm On Nov 25, 2020
oloriesther:
Hello everyone,
Hubby got his F2 visa approved on 23rd Nov in Lagos using the i-20 emailed by my university. Can he travel with the emailed copy sent by the school and present at the port of entry because the university says they are not mailing i-20 by postage at the moment? Has anyone travelled to the USA in recent times with printed copy of emailed i-20 presented at the port of entry?

If that the direction from the school.... why are you not believing that guidance. Do you think people on nairaland (which is faceless) knows more than the school

However yes it currently fine to use the " covid complaint " emailed and then printed i20 for both visa and POE. I saw it on https://www.ice.gov/covid19
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by nitdude: 9:43pm On Nov 25, 2020
Good evening my people. I want to ask this question for those whose study visa have been approved.

Did your University request you register for 6 hour in-person classes (6 credit) and a total of 9 credits for fresh I-20 holder else the person will not be allowed into the United states?

PLS let's confirm this and be sure b4 leaving. My IPO said it's the guideline from USICE
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by oloriesther(f): 10:44pm On Nov 25, 2020
Thanks @ LagosismyHome for your prompt response, the link was really helpful.

LagosismyHome:

If that the direction from the school.... why are you not believing that guidance. Do you think people on nairaland (which is faceless) knows more than the school

However yes it currently fine to use the " covid complaint " emailed and then printed i20 for both visa and POE. I saw it on https://www.ice.gov/covid19

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by majorstark: 11:05pm On Nov 25, 2020
House,

I came up with a mock as shared by another honorable house member.
Kindly edit to ur taste.

CONSULAR: Good morning
ME: Good morning to you!

CONSULAR: Pass Your Passport and i-20 Please
ME: Here you go

CONSULAR: Why Are You Going to the US?
ME: I’m going for my masters in computer engineering at the university of arkansas at little rock

CONSULAR: Why the US?
ME: United States geographic location and current economic strength attract industry experts from around the world. U.S. degrees have an excellent international reputation, American universities are bastions of cultural diversity, U.S. universities offer excellent support facilities, U.S. universities invest in optimized classroom experiences, American universities offer a flexible academic environment. (don't cram all - just state one or two)

CONSULAR: How Did You Get This School? / How Did You Hear About This School?
ME: I got to know it through 3 of my friends, one a PHD degree holder and the other two are masters degree holders from this same school

CONSULAR: How Many Schools Did You Apply To?
ME: Just one, UALR (state the schools abbreviation) – pronounced ‘YOULA’

CONSULAR: What Do All These Schools Have In Common?
ME:

CONSULAR: Why Did You Choose this School?
ME: I chose this school because i secured a fully funded GRA from the department of defense (Dr Noiles Murray Grant) in the Science Technology Engineering Maths (DCSTEM) department of Computer Science at The university of arkansas at little rock.

CONSULAR: Why Do You Need this Masters?
ME: It will prepare me for leadership roles such as CIO, IT Mgr, Senior Business Systems Analyst, Senior DB Admin., and Project Mgr

CONSULAR: Tell Me About Your Academic Background?
ME: I studied electronic and computer engineering and graduated with a second class honors (upper division) from the university of lagos 2010.

CONSULAR: What Have You Been Doing since you graduated?
ME: I have over seven years working experience working in the payTV service provider sector, software engineering outfit, insurance, and consulting firm. I’m also a certified Linux administrator, Scrum master, Azure Devops Professional etc

CONSULAR: What are those courses you’ll be taking/ Tell me about your program/What is your study plan?
ME: I will be taking Accounting for managerial decision, team development, project mgt etc

CONSULAR: Did You Write Any Standardized Test?
ME: Yes, GRE – Score, GMAT – Score, TOEFL or IELTS – Score
ME: No, my program coordinator waived GRE as I have over 5 years working experience as an IT support, Technology support, Web and Mobile Application Development experience. (S)He also waived Toefl/Ielts as English Language was my language of taught

CONSULAR: Are you married?
ME: No

CONSULAR: Have You Traveled Before?
ME: No

CONSULAR: Who Is Paying For This? / Who Is Sponsoring You?
ME: I have a fully funded GRA from the Dr Miles Murray grant and I will also get stipends of $1K5 per month which will cover up for my deficit. (not necessary) - I also have personal funds of approximately $5200 in my GTB current account.

CONSULAR: How Did You get this funding?
ME: I applied through the Science Technology Engineering and Maths, Computer Science Department on the schools website.

CONSULAR: What will you doing as a GTA?
ME: I will be assisting Dr Noiles Murray with preparing lecture notes and grading advanced database management systems and system analysis and design methods courses.

CONSULAR: What Does Your Sponsor Do?
ME:

CONSULAR: Why Is He the One Paying for you?
ME:

CONSULAR: How Many Kids Does your Uncle have?
ME:

CONSULAR: What are your career plans / What is your plan after graduation?
ME: I currently work as a Senior Consultant with Deloitte and Touche and I plan taking up more senior roles once I’m done with my masters. I have made a lot of connections over my 3 years working experience at Deloitte.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by lakeshore1: 11:12pm On Nov 25, 2020
Please, I am follower of this thread and I appreciate the contributions of members. I registered as an online student for the Fall,2020 but I will like to travel to the US for this Spring semester. Do I have to indicate my present school in the US in the Education history in the Ds-160 form?. My new i-20 indicates my start date as January,2021
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Phori: 11:13pm On Nov 25, 2020
hello bro, i really need a mock interview tho. I will be glad if you can pull this for me.thanks
majorstark:

I can assist with a mock interview and possibly prepare an answer for you
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by majorstark: 11:14pm On Nov 25, 2020
Phori:
hello bro, i really need a mock interview tho. I will be glad if you can pull this for me.thanks

twitter: @major_stark_
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Snakedoctor1: 12:20am On Nov 26, 2020
Pls my SOA from sponsor was printed in November before the date was canceled . should I get another one for December interview or will the November one suffice? These sponsors do not really have such times
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Billions123: 12:58am On Nov 26, 2020
CaptainMarvell:
Hello Everyone!
Gotten help?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Pachenry: 1:57am On Nov 26, 2020
Good day good people, Have any1 experienced this "Your group size is larger than current location" issue? How was it solve?

Will appreciate any help.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by solihp(f): 2:26am On Nov 26, 2020
Snakedoctor1:
Pls my SOA from sponsor was printed in November before the date was canceled . should I get another one for December interview or will the November one suffice? These sponsors do not really have such times

The one printed in November is fine

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by LagosismyHome(f): 3:58am On Nov 26, 2020
nitdude:
Good evening my people. I want to ask this question for those whose study visa have been approved.

Did your University request you register for 6 hour in-person classes (6 credit) and a total of 9 credits for fresh I-20 holder else the person will not be allowed into the United states?

PLS let's confirm this and be sure b4 leaving. My IPO said it's the guideline from USICE

I always have a problem will people who come here gain, ask questions but then a simple thing like giving back in a proper transcript then stories that touch / excuses starts ...... but ok I leave it at that .

However yes this is the requirement to maintain your f1 status which is what your IPO Is telling you....... why are you not believing that guidance... Do you think people on nairaland (which is faceless) know more than the school ??

Yes, Graduate students must be enrolled for a minimum of 9 credit hours to maintain F1 status ....... (this is standard) . At least 6 credits per semester must be classes that meet on-campus or all 9 can be on on campus. Definitely this 9 credit rule was there even pre covid

However not everyone registers before they leave. If you do register before you leave then yes that is what expected . Even if you register after you travel then yes as well because you need at least 9 credit per semester for F1 graduate visa to be in STATUS ... so same difference

If your school is asking you to register before you travel (now in covid world ) maybe as a caution from any POE wahala and then act according to how you are been guided . Your school knows best on current update from ICE and how the school intends to structure its programs

4 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by CaptainMarvell: 4:24am On Nov 26, 2020
No...Not yet cry

Billions123:
Gotten help?

(1) (2) (3) ... (705) (706) (707) (708) (709) (710) (711) ... (779)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? / Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.