Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,389 members, 7,861,080 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 11:24 PM

Political Chess That Brought Chimaroke Back To Relevance After 8yrs Of Oblivion - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Political Chess That Brought Chimaroke Back To Relevance After 8yrs Of Oblivion (1893 Views)

2023: South East And South West Political Chess / The North Are Great Political Chess Players. / Obaseki To Oshiomhole: Won’t Allow Edo Become A Pawn In Your Political Chess Gam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Political Chess That Brought Chimaroke Back To Relevance After 8yrs Of Oblivion by Comradesylva: 12:39am On Jun 14, 2019
The statement by the ex-Prime Minister of Britain and the erstwhile leader of Labour Party, Rt Hon Harold Wilson in October 1964, few days before his party became victorious that “24 hours in politics is a long time” comes to mind when one preys into the political calculus that played out in Enugu. The intrigues in the trado-political headquarters of the defunct Biafra nation in the 2019 general elections which saw the political comeback of the former governor of the state, Dr Chimaroke Nnamani as Senator after eight years of wallowing in the depth of political wilderness.
Dr Chimaroke Nnamani, the gladiator of Enugu politics who led the famous ‘Ebeano’ government as state governor from 1999-2007 was the bride of the people, his striking feature of intellectual sagacity which reflects in his ability to recollect the names of anybody that had come close to him and call them by their names at the slightest encounter endeared him to the people and bestowed him with a cult-like fellowship especially among the young people in the state. The history of his political sojourn in the Lion Building will not be perfectly rendered without the mention of his mentorship of the younger generation of politicians in the state.
It was his drive to include the youths in the governance of the state that has made it possible for ‘Ebeano boys’ to occupy 90% of the political space in the state. Most of the political office holders today had direct or indirect contact and benefited from his overwhelming benevolence in the past. The current governor of the state, Rt Hon Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi attested to this fact when he stated during the reception ceremony held for Dr Chimaroke by the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) that the former governor impacted his life politically and made it possible for him to be governor.
However, the honeymoon between Dr Nnamani and his political godsons did not last long as the cycle of betrayal of predecessors and godfathers which started in the state with the humiliation of his predecessor, Chief James Ifeanyichukwu Nwobodo, former governor of old Anambra state who played a paramount role in the emergence of Chimaroke. His romance with his successor Sullivan Iheanacho Chime went sour days after he won PDP’s Guber primaries in the state. The rift was speculated to have stemmed from the choice of the deputy candidate of the 2007 PDP Guber train.
Whatever was the cause of that standoff, it led to bitter politics; shuddered the political grip of Dr Nnamani on the state. He was in the National Assembly as the Senator representing Enugu East but he never swam the murky waters of the legislative politics successfully as his successor, sworn to send him into political albatross, unleashed the EFCC against him. It was late President Sukarno of Indonesia that was alleged to have invented the saying that “to force down the political empire of a strong politician, you must first collapse his source of income”. The anti-graft agency became instrumental in that regard rendering Dr Chimaroke a ‘walking shadow’ by impounding all his properties and major companies including the famous Cosmos 105.5 FM, Renaissance University Teaching Hospital, 22 Duplex Buildings in Fidelity estate, uncountable plots of land, Rainbownet Nigeria Limited among others.

He was weakened financially and thus became politically paralysed. I was visibly shaken when I met Dr Chimaroke on one occasion as a student of the prestigious University of Nigeria, Enugu Campus (UNEC). He looked beggarly and lean. The ‘sheather’ he was wearing could hardly price above N5000 and he looked like he had not eaten for days. I went into a pensive mood immediately. I had seen him, bright and glamorous in the past when he commanded power and affluence in the entire state. Power is really transient. His hoard of supporters and political godsons distanced themselves from him. Nobody goes where he would not have plenty to eat and reserve some for the days to come, this, unfortunately, defines our political alignment and loyalty in this part of the world.
I remember how the politics of goodwill played out in the 2015 Enugu East Senatorial elections where Dr Chimaroke contested under the platform of the People’s Democratic Change (PDC) having been forced out of the ruling PDP by his political protege and successor Chime. It was a fierce contest between Nnamani and another two powerful candidates, Gilbert Nnaji and late Hon Ozonwabueze Okafor popularly called ‘Okpochengene’ by his political associates indicating the infrastructural development he brought to his rural village and other villages in his local government council when he was the council chairman. After the political gimmicks and intrigues, Nnaji of the PDP was declared the winner.
Many students, though, protested across Enugu East, holding obstinately that Chimaroke won the election. He was shown overwhelming support by many including UNEC students who clustered the voting centres to cast sympathy vote for him and his party chiefly in recognition of his long-standing political goodwill. That was the last fight of a dying man, the last kick of a slain horse. All hope was lost. He tactically withdrew from active politics and retired to his Nkanu native home. That was his sorrowful situation, an active kingmaker and political godfather of many now watching from the rare as his boys play the game.
It was so until the unforeseen political event that catapulted him into the mainstream politics of the state played out. The unfortunate, yet eventful defection of Chime from the PDP to APC allegedly to clinch the Senatorial ticket of Enugu West Senatorial zone not feasible as he was from the same zone with the then incumbent Deputy Senate President Ike Ekweremadu. The battle for that ticket between Ekweremadu and Sullivan was so intense that it birthed an intra-party crisis which nearly robbed PDP of the state in 2015. His exit was in total submission to the old saying that ‘two Rams cannot drink off a bucket’.
Some persons speculated that Sullivan left to save himself from an impending corruption trial. However, whatever school of thought one ascribes, it is certain that Dr Chimaroke would see it differently, from an angle of divine intervention to quickly reinvigorate him into political relevance in the state and in the country at large. As it became a political reality in 2019 that for Ugwuanyi to be re-elected as Governor of Enugu state, he needed the political resources (support) of Dr Nnamani to rebuff the opposition Chime’s APC would pull against him at the polls. It was the only viable option if he must retain his seat.
The joy in Chimaroke’s face said it all. It was unbelievable for him. He suddenly became rehabilitated, equipped and handed the Enugu East senatorial ticket of the state through which he made a victorious come back to the National Assembly after wandering despondently in political oblivion for eight gruelling years. Does this vitiate the above quote of Harold Wilson?

I leave you to ponder.

Comrade Sylvanus Okpe is the Political Editor of TheNigerian News. He can be reached via sylvaike479@gmail.com

Permutations that brought Chimaroke back to relevance after 8 years of oblivion

https://www.thenigerian.news/permutations-that-brought-chimaroke-back-to-relevance-after-8-years-of-oblivion/

2 Likes

Re: Political Chess That Brought Chimaroke Back To Relevance After 8yrs Of Oblivion by tukdi: 1:24am On Jun 14, 2019
wink
Re: Political Chess That Brought Chimaroke Back To Relevance After 8yrs Of Oblivion by slivertongue: 3:29am On Jun 14, 2019
Chimaroke's come back may harm enugu. enugu had stability witout him

3 Likes

Re: Political Chess That Brought Chimaroke Back To Relevance After 8yrs Of Oblivion by redsocks(f): 3:40am On Jun 14, 2019
Hope he performs
Re: Political Chess That Brought Chimaroke Back To Relevance After 8yrs Of Oblivion by KevMitnick: 3:58am On Jun 14, 2019
Aptly written... I miss 105.5 Cosmo FM. The radio station was operating way better than most TV stations.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Political Chess That Brought Chimaroke Back To Relevance After 8yrs Of Oblivion by Wantedmiller: 5:41am On Jun 14, 2019
Sullivan Chime never fought with Ugwuanyi........ even though he went to opposition party.

Rather he fought with senator Ike Ekeweremadu to position Governor Ugwuanyi.

Governor Ugwuanyi and Sullivan Chime are best of friends........

1 Like

Re: Political Chess That Brought Chimaroke Back To Relevance After 8yrs Of Oblivion by Wantedmiller: 5:42am On Jun 14, 2019
KevMitnick:
Aptly written... I miss 105.5 Cosmo FM. The radio station was operating way better than most TV stations.

Hakunamatata

2 Likes

Re: Political Chess That Brought Chimaroke Back To Relevance After 8yrs Of Oblivion by Jicqueville: 8:37am On Jun 14, 2019
I see

Check my signature for your data
Re: Political Chess That Brought Chimaroke Back To Relevance After 8yrs Of Oblivion by Gandollaar(f): 9:29am On Jun 14, 2019
Fake News as told by a zombie.

The whole write-up reek of campaign of calumny.

You met him once and he was looking hungry to you and his shirt could not have cost more than 5k?? Just imagine this rubbish!

Then in another vein, the incumbent governor needed his enormous political goodwill to clinch a second term!

1 Like

Re: Political Chess That Brought Chimaroke Back To Relevance After 8yrs Of Oblivion by netpro(m): 10:38am On Jun 14, 2019
Wantedmiller:

Hakunamatata

That's Cosmo! Kelopatra and others were operating on another level. The station was a breath of fresh air. Missed it much.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Political Chess That Brought Chimaroke Back To Relevance After 8yrs Of Oblivion by Napoleondegreat: 11:53am On Jun 14, 2019
slivertongue:
Chimaroke's come back may harm enugu. enugu had stability witout him

God bless you my brother for saying the truth. I said the same thing immediately the governor cowardly imposed him on Enugu east zone. Enugu progressed massively better without him. But like I said elsewhere, the coward governor will definitely regret bringing back Chimaroke
Re: Political Chess That Brought Chimaroke Back To Relevance After 8yrs Of Oblivion by Napoleondegreat: 11:57am On Jun 14, 2019
Gandollaar:
Fake News as told by a zombie.

The whole write-up reek of campaign of calumny.

You met him once and he was looking hungry to you and his shirt could not have cost more than 5k?? Just imagine this rubbish!

Then in another vein, the incumbent governor needed his enormous political goodwill to clinch a second term!

Don't mind the idiot that wrote this rubbish. Chimaroke met his karma in Sullivan Chime after killing Chief Jim Nwobodo Politically. This current Governor did disservice to the state by bringing back Chimaroke

1 Like

Re: Political Chess That Brought Chimaroke Back To Relevance After 8yrs Of Oblivion by Napoleondegreat: 12:00pm On Jun 14, 2019
Sullivan Chime remain our best governor so far. Just watch out the cumulative effect of bringing back Chimaroke on the state
Re: Political Chess That Brought Chimaroke Back To Relevance After 8yrs Of Oblivion by Gandollaar(f): 2:01pm On Jun 14, 2019
Napoleondegreat:

Don't mind the idiot that wrote this rubbish. Chimaroke met his karma in Sullivan Chime after killing Chief Jim Nwobodo Politically. This current Governor did disservice to the state by bringing back Chimaroke
Bros me and you are not on the same page on this. How did chimaroke become such a nuisance after all he did for the State?

Politics is like monarchy, who dey there today fit no dey there tomorrow.

I thought it was Ken Nnamani that overshadowed Chiboy.
Re: Political Chess That Brought Chimaroke Back To Relevance After 8yrs Of Oblivion by Napoleondegreat: 2:27pm On Jun 14, 2019
Gandollaar:
Bros me and you are not on the same page on this. How did chimaroke become such a nuisance after all he did for the State?

His works in the state were just mainly for his clan. He believed that each person should develop and help his or her people when he assumes office. He as an Nkanu man marginalised UDI and Nsukka zones in the state. however I give him kudos on Esut College of medicine. Now compare him to Sullivan Chime that touched all parts of the state including remote villages.

Again Enugu was not safe security wise under him. since he left Enugu politics, our 042 was so sweet that there was no night in Enugu. people move about without fear 24hrs. All these peaceful atmosphere was created by Sullivan and the current Governor has maintained same
Re: Political Chess That Brought Chimaroke Back To Relevance After 8yrs Of Oblivion by Napoleondegreat: 2:31pm On Jun 14, 2019
Gandollaar:

No Ken Nnamani never overshadowed him. Ken was never a formidable force in Enugu politics

2 Likes

Re: Political Chess That Brought Chimaroke Back To Relevance After 8yrs Of Oblivion by Gandollaar(f): 2:46pm On Jun 14, 2019
Napoleondegreat:

No Ken Nnamani never overshadowed him. Ken was never a formidable force in Enugu politics
Ok. So what evil does the emergence of Chiboy on the scene portend?
Re: Political Chess That Brought Chimaroke Back To Relevance After 8yrs Of Oblivion by Gandollaar(f): 2:49pm On Jun 14, 2019
Napoleondegreat:

His works in the state were just mainly for his clan. He believed that each person should develop and help his or her people when he assumes office. He as an Nkanu man marginalised UDI and Nsukka zones in the state. however I give him kudos on Esut College of medicine. Now compare him to Sullivan Chime that touched all parts of the state including remote villages.

Again Enugu was not safe security wise under him. since he left Enugu politics, our 042 was so sweet that there was no night in Enugu. people move about without fear 24hrs. All these peaceful atmosphere was created by Sullivan and the current Governor has maintained same
On security bro, I beg to disagree. I was in Enugu all through his tenure. Apart from the usual security challenges normal with every society, there was not spectacularly strange about security situations that time.

1 Like

Re: Political Chess That Brought Chimaroke Back To Relevance After 8yrs Of Oblivion by Napoleondegreat: 2:49pm On Jun 14, 2019
Gandollaar:

A possible recurrence of the insecurity and deaths that marred his administration as a governor

1 Like

Re: Political Chess That Brought Chimaroke Back To Relevance After 8yrs Of Oblivion by Wantedmiller: 2:51pm On Jun 14, 2019
netpro:

That's Cosmo! Kelopatra and others were operating on another level. The station was a breath of fresh air. Missed it much.

I don't miss early morning sports analysis.....

2 Likes

Re: Political Chess That Brought Chimaroke Back To Relevance After 8yrs Of Oblivion by Napoleondegreat: 2:53pm On Jun 14, 2019
Gandollaar:
On security bro, I beg to disagree. I was in Enugu all through his tenure. Apart from the usual security challenges normal with every society, there was not spectacularly strange about security situations that time.

My dear there was regular security troubles and politically motivated killings under his watch as our Governor. Immediately he exited the scene all those challenges died down instantly. that is why some one said up there that Enugu was better without him

2 Likes

Re: Political Chess That Brought Chimaroke Back To Relevance After 8yrs Of Oblivion by Ikology(m): 3:05pm On Jun 14, 2019
Gandollaar:

The Governorship ticket will be zoned to Enugu East where he is from. Chimaroke will fight Gburugburu to install his loyalist as next Governor. He will try to resurrect his ebeano political group, same group gburugburu emanated from, this might result to crisis

1 Like

Re: Political Chess That Brought Chimaroke Back To Relevance After 8yrs Of Oblivion by Napoleondegreat: 3:36pm On Jun 14, 2019
Ikology:

The Governorship ticket will be zoned to Enugu East where he is from. Chimaroke will fight Gburugburu to install his loyalist as next Governor. He will try to resurrect his ebeano political group, same group gburugburu emanated from, this might result to crisis

Exactly my broda. You are on ground with Enugu reality

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Video Of A Chief Causing Confusion Among Community Members With His English / Biafra: I Am Not Fighting Any Tribe But Freedom For My People-Nnamdi Kanu / Ex-cbn Gov Mailafia Resigns From NIPSS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.