Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,345 members, 7,811,995 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:30 AM

Tell Me How You Get Charged For Bride Price - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Tell Me How You Get Charged For Bride Price (878 Views)

When The Bride Price Is Too High For Him To Pay / Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? / The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tell Me How You Get Charged For Bride Price by ZIMDRILL(m): 11:40am On Oct 03, 2010
guys i am zimbabwean i got a scenario i want to give to you analyse but it wont make sense if i give it you raw straight from a zimbabwean way of paying bride price

tell me what you are charged and the reason to the charges then i will try to put my scenario into nigerian way of bride charging
Re: Tell Me How You Get Charged For Bride Price by invisible2(m): 11:07pm On Oct 06, 2010
Different tribes and religions here means over a hundred ways of negotiating bride price. Some families take nothing, some accept commodities while others still will take raw cash. Some families will do 'pay as you go' in this case, they wont take money from you at first but you will be paying indirect tax forever.
Re: Tell Me How You Get Charged For Bride Price by InkedNerd(f): 12:46am On Oct 07, 2010
I don't believe in having a bride price tongue
Re: Tell Me How You Get Charged For Bride Price by prints(m): 6:07am On Oct 07, 2010
Inked_Nerd:

I don't believe in having a bride price tongue

Why? arent u a Nigerian? Its tradition,
Re: Tell Me How You Get Charged For Bride Price by InkedNerd(f): 6:56am On Oct 07, 2010
prints:

Why? arent u a Nigerian? Its tradition,

Yes, I am Nigerian. I believe that it is degrading to women. Not everything that is tradition is a good thing. There was once a time when a person would be buried when a chief passed away. That was once tradition but it doesn't necessarily make it ok or appropriate.
Re: Tell Me How You Get Charged For Bride Price by invisible2(m): 9:25am On Oct 07, 2010
Inked_Nerd:

Yes, I am Nigerian. I believe that it is degrading to women. Not everything that is tradition is a good thing. There was once a time when a person would be buried when a chief passed away. That was once tradition but it doesn't necessarily make it ok or appropriate.

Its not about the money, its about the symbolism. Paying the bride price signifies transfer of ownership from the family of birth to the new family. What do you suggest should replace this culture?
Re: Tell Me How You Get Charged For Bride Price by ifyalways(f): 9:30am On Oct 07, 2010
ZIM DRILL:

guys i am zimbabwean i got a scenario i want to give to you analyse but it wont make sense if i give it you raw straight from a zimbabwean way of paying bride price

tell me what you are charged and the reason to the charges then i will try to put my scenario into nigerian way of bride charging
i dont understand u.Are u marrying a Nigerian or just comparing bride price formalities btwn the 2 countries?
Do Zimbabweans pay Bride price?How much do they pay??

(1) (Reply)

Somali Culture, Picture, Video, Songs / Ghana: Two Nigerian T.B Joshua Pastors Arrested For Fraud / Understanding The Igbo Mind?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.