Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,584 members, 7,820,112 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:58 AM

Women Who Earn More Than Their Husbands! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Women Who Earn More Than Their Husbands! (10545 Views)

How Many Ladies Can Act Like This Lady If They Catch Their Husbands Cheating? / True Story Of How Women Get Their Husbands Into Trouble / Should Working Wives Share Household Expenses With Their Husbands? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Women Who Earn More Than Their Husbands! by Nobody: 2:32pm On Oct 04, 2010
I’ve been thinking . . .  how does this work? You are a woman, you work and so does your husband, but you earn like 3X what he earns. How do you reconcile this?

Is it healthy for the marriage?   undecided

Do you pay your money into your husby’s account and let him manage your finances (even if he does a not-so good job) OR do you keep the money in your account and issue the cheques as you deem fit or if/when you feel likt it?

Do you get to make major decisions like where you live, what schools the children attend, which cars to buy e.t.c. since you make the  money anyways OR do you operate a joint account and make financial decisions together (and sometimes ignore times when you know your money is being mis-managed).

Finally (this is very important) . .  Do you get to live a like a pauper, just so you don't make him feel less of a man by paying for majority of the things that would make life more convenient for the family which he cannot afford but you can    undecided

What would be the most reasonable method/approach to avoid resentment/bitterness    undecided
Re: Women Who Earn More Than Their Husbands! by yvyy(f): 3:17pm On Oct 04, 2010
my dear, those who r born again and truely understand d biblican meaning of marriage wont have dat issue at all.they will have d full understanding that in d marriage its no one's personal moni but OUR MONI.

having that in mind irrespective of who brings in more,its our moni and beside marriage shldnt be among two greedy people ,ofcourse.there is also no place in d bible God stated that d man shld bring more moni.but the word of God states that d man is d head and d woman a helper.

so its our forefathers that made us believe that men shld earn more for a marriage to be happily ever after.but look around u in this age we are in,70% of d married women earn higher than their hubbys but only those that keeps their mouth open r them u will notice it from.

so my dear,it really doesnt matter. just have d understanding that its our moni.

1 Like

Re: Women Who Earn More Than Their Husbands! by MrLoverMAn(m): 3:22pm On Oct 04, 2010
yvyy:

my dear, those who r born again and truely understand d biblican meaning of marriage wont have dat issue at all.they will have d full understanding that in d marriage its no one's personal moni but OUR MONI.

having that in mind irrespective of who brings in more,its our moni and beside marriage shldnt be among two greedy people ,ofcourse.there is also no place in d bible God stated that d man shld bring more moni.but the word of God states that d man is d head and d woman a helper.

so its our forefathers that made us believe that men shld earn more for a marriage to be happily ever after.but look around u in this age we are in,70% of d married women earn higher than their hubbys but only those that keeps their mouth open r them u will notice it from.

so my dear,it really doesnt matter. just have d understanding that its our moni.

Is This a personal issue that is affecting you.
Re: Women Who Earn More Than Their Husbands! by sms4health: 4:12pm On Oct 04, 2010
It shouldn't be an issue if there is trust and real friendship in the marriage.

If no matter what, the wife defers to the husband he will not deem it necessary to assert his "headship" on every and all issues.

Once there is no respect, it is the beginning of trouble
Re: Women Who Earn More Than Their Husbands! by Nobody: 4:40pm On Oct 04, 2010
yvyy:

What if it's becoming a real issue in the family? I asked some questions in my OP, how can they be addressed?

MrLoverMAn:

Is This a personal issue that is affecting you.

Nope! I'm not married . . .  just curious! Mainly becos I have a friend who's having problems in her marital home cos of this  undecided I'm assuming the question was directed to me!
Re: Women Who Earn More Than Their Husbands! by nikkygal(f): 5:40pm On Oct 04, 2010
*[size=5pt]subscribing[/size]***

[size=5pt]Also have too many instances of this situation around me now and honestly, i can see it really takes God's grace to succeed in such marriages. . . . . .Hmmmn![/size]
Re: Women Who Earn More Than Their Husbands! by MrLoverMAn(m): 5:44pm On Oct 04, 2010
Ujujoan:

What if it's becoming a real issue in the family? I asked some questions in my OP, how can they be addressed?

Nope! I'm not married . . . just curious! Mainly becos I have a friend who's having problems in her marital home cos of this undecided I'm assuming the question was directed to me!

Yes it was directed at you LOL
Re: Women Who Earn More Than Their Husbands! by Taymi: 6:59pm On Oct 04, 2010
Maybe your friend is not submissive, money is very powerful and its the root of all evil, when there is money you tend to misbehave. It takes the fear and love of God to be under controll even with your money. Also,friendship is very important between the husband and wife so that the husband wont feel inferior. If you see your wife as your friend,there will be tolerance and mutual respect and you wil work and do things together,regardless of where the money is coming from.
Re: Women Who Earn More Than Their Husbands! by InkedNerd(f): 10:57pm On Oct 04, 2010
Ujujoan:

Do you pay your money into your husby’s account and let him manage your finances (even if he does a not-so good job) OR do you keep the money in your account and issue the cheques as you deem fit or if/when you feel likt it?

Do you get to make major decisions like where you live, what schools the children attend, which cars to buy e.t.c. since you make the  money anyways OR do you operate a joint account and make financial decisions together (and sometimes ignore times when you know your money is being mis-managed).

Finally (this is very important) . .  Do you get to live a like a pauper, just so you don't make him feel less of a man by paying for majority of the things that would make life more convenient for the family which he cannot afford but you can    undecided

What would be the most reasonable method/approach to avoid resentment/bitterness    undecided

Why would anyone pay money into their husbands account because they make more money? Is it that persons fault that they make more money? Its not an issue when the husband makes more money so why should it be an issue if the woman makes more money? The decision making should be equal but I don't believe that a woman should pay money into her husbands account of allow him to manage her money because he makes less money. I know a man who's wife makes 5 times more than he does and he is perfectly fine with it. He sees nothing wrong with it. The man is a high school teacher and the woman is a lawyer.
Re: Women Who Earn More Than Their Husbands! by Fearcom(m): 12:17pm On Oct 05, 2010
My wife earns more than i do? undecided. . . .so?no big deal.But once it gets to her head and she starts actin' up. . . . . . .then we have a problem.
Re: Women Who Earn More Than Their Husbands! by oludashmi(f): 12:33pm On Oct 05, 2010
Inked_Nerd:

Why would anyone pay money into their husbands account because they make more money? Is it that persons fault that they make more money? Its not an issue when the husband makes more money so why should it be an issue if the woman makes more money? The decision making should be equal but I don't believe that a woman should pay money into her husbands account of allow him to manage her money because he makes less money. I know a man who's wife makes 5 times more than he does and he is perfectly fine with it. He sees nothing wrong with it. The man is a high school teacher and the woman is a lawyer.

Submission is clear in your statement. The marriage is without hiccup cos the woman gives the man the honour and respect he deserves and the man reciprocates but the day it starts getting into her head, that day trouble begins.
Re: Women Who Earn More Than Their Husbands! by Ranoscky(m): 12:33pm On Oct 05, 2010
My gurlfriend earns Dinosaurs ages more than me but respects the hell out of me interms of spendin !!!
Re: Women Who Earn More Than Their Husbands! by oisehumen(m): 12:34pm On Oct 05, 2010
@yvyy

70% of d married women earn higher than their hubbys
Na wa for your statistics o  grin grin grin grin grin
Where did u get that from? I beg to disagree please.

Anyway, back to the topic. If there is love and understanding in a home, there shouldn't be any problem at all when a woman earns more than her husband.
They should all jointly plan for the family and spend together.
Re: Women Who Earn More Than Their Husbands! by seedord247(m): 12:35pm On Oct 05, 2010
I never pray of such
Re: Women Who Earn More Than Their Husbands! by Nobody: 12:35pm On Oct 05, 2010
its not an issue as long as we make all decisions concerning major expenditures together
Re: Women Who Earn More Than Their Husbands! by JUO(m): 12:41pm On Oct 05, 2010
my women are terrible
Re: Women Who Earn More Than Their Husbands! by yabadabado: 12:43pm On Oct 05, 2010
firstly am not married but u could still find sense in  my opinion.

i have a question for ----can you husband allow u to track his account for no reason without feeling choked? if yes , put a considerable amount in his account and let him lead as GOD DECREE , if no, talk it out and start a joint ACC.
if ur man is not financially intelligent help him with books and other materials .

i think a considerable amount of the money should be put into a joint accunt or his account if you really love him and if u are still fresh into the marriage.
then , let him lead with you beside him , making all the decision that require money.

and  if the money is being mismanaged talk it out with him {a joint account makes it easy for u to follow the account}
Re: Women Who Earn More Than Their Husbands! by freshera: 12:44pm On Oct 05, 2010
Its not a good situation, the man is supposed to be the main provider, the woman is supposed to help in case the man is sick or dead, or is down financially or so that the man will not kill himself with work-related stress. The man should aim to earn higher than her so it will be a temporary situation not permanent.

If there is a good relationship/frienship between them, she should first take her savings/tithe/personal allowance/contribution/siblings allowance, etc from her salary,  then give the remaining to him to decide on how to spend or put it in a joint account if they use that. He should make all final decisions with enough input from the wife.

If he does not spend it well, she can now complain and then they agree to a formula of contributing for example 60/40, he gives 60 percent of money required for the home's expenses and she gives 40 percent.

Some African women allow it to get to their heads though because traditionally a woman is supposed to be dependent on the man. Thats why single rich ladies are not respected because they are not under a man and may not easily get married.

So if she now finds herself in big money and already a Mrs with kids, she can tell the man to get lost and even question what he is useful for. But not every woman is like this especially if the man is her best friend.
Re: Women Who Earn More Than Their Husbands! by JUO(m): 12:45pm On Oct 05, 2010
its not an issue as long as we make all decisions concerning major expenditures together
ONEDAY SHE GO TAKEAM TELL U WORD
Re: Women Who Earn More Than Their Husbands! by eShegz(m): 1:04pm On Oct 05, 2010
seedord247:

I never pray of such

Me too,

Fear.com:

My wife earns more than i do? undecided. . . .so?no big deal.But once it gets to her head and she starts actin' up. . . . . . .then we have a problem.

But it always invade the women's head, trust me,

yvyy:

, There's a saying that my own is my own, there can never be our money, particulalrly when it comes to a woman earning more money. In most cases, the man end up being told either subtly or sometimes overtly that she brings more to the table, The moment she starts earning more, methink a man should start looking at alternative source of income to augment the mainstay,
Re: Women Who Earn More Than Their Husbands! by Nobody: 1:05pm On Oct 05, 2010
JUO:

ONEDAY SHE GO TAKEAM TELL U WORD

which kain word?
Re: Women Who Earn More Than Their Husbands! by lovejo(m): 1:15pm On Oct 05, 2010
NO MATTER HOW MUCH SHE EARN, I WILL TAKE UP ALL MAJOR FINANCES, MY INCOME WILL AWAYS BE ABOVE MY FAMILY RESPONSIBILITIES.
Re: Women Who Earn More Than Their Husbands! by Nobody: 1:30pm On Oct 05, 2010
yabadabado:

firstly am not married but u could still find sense in my opinion.

i have a question for ----can you husband allow u to track his account for no reason without feeling choked? if yes , put a considerable amount in his account and let him lead as GOD DECREE , if no, talk it out and start a joint ACC.
if your man is not financially intelligent help him with books and other materials .

i think a considerable amount of the money should be put into a joint accunt or his account if you really love him and if u are still fresh into the marriage.
then , let him lead with you beside him , making all the decision that require money.

and if the money is being mismanaged talk it out with him {a joint account makes it easy for u to follow the account}

This is a good one. Like I said earlier, I'm not directly involved but if I ever find myself in such a situation . . . .

freshera:

Its not a good situation, the man is supposed to be the main provider, the woman is supposed to help in case the man is sick or dead, or is down financially or so that the man will not kill himself with work-related stress. The man should aim to earn higher than her so it will be a temporary situation not permanent.

If there is a good relationship/frienship between them, she should first take her savings/tithe/personal allowance/contribution/siblings allowance, etc from her salary, then give the remaining to him to decide on how to spend or put it in a joint account if they use that. He should make all final decisions with enough input from the wife.

If he does not spend it well, she can now complain and then they agree to a formula of contributing for example 60/40, he gives 60 percent of money required for the home's expenses and she gives 40 percent.

Some African women allow it to get to their heads though because traditionally a woman is supposed to be dependent on the man. Thats why single rich ladies are not respected because they are not under a man and may not easily get married.

So if she now finds herself in big money and already a Mrs with kids, she can tell the man to get lost and even question what he is useful for. But not every woman is like this especially if the man is her best friend.

Nice one too!

lovejo:

NO MATTER HOW MUCH SHE EARN, I WILL TAKE UP ALL MAJOR FINANCES, MY INCOME WILL AWAYS BE ABOVE MY FAMILY RESPONSIBILITIES.

This is an ideal situation, but life happens, things change! How would you then handle the situation
Re: Women Who Earn More Than Their Husbands! by Nobody: 1:39pm On Oct 05, 2010
I don't earn as much as he earns but I will reply anyways.

Do you pay your money into your husby’s account and let him manage your finances (even if he does a not-so good job) OR do you keep the money in your account and issue the cheques as you deem fit or if/when you feel likt it

I do not pay a dime into his account. Every fortnight my eyes are on the computer waiting patiently for my money. I do not issue cheques without him knwing.

Do you get to make major decisions like where you live, what schools the children attend, which cars to buy e.t.c. since you make the money anyways OR do you operate a joint account and make financial decisions together (and sometimes ignore times when you know your money is being mis-managed).

No I do not make major decisions we both make it togeda. Although there are times when I have made certain decisions myself, the fact that I have a man does not really mean I cannot think myself if the need arises.

And yes we both make financial decisions togeda as well.
Re: Women Who Earn More Than Their Husbands! by Royou: 1:43pm On Oct 05, 2010
Only insecured people are disturbed by this, my wife make alot more money than i do and its beautiful, because i still get to pay for everything but she brings in the icing to the cake, Why is she my wife for crying out loud am happy and she is happy, We spend our money the way we want and decide for the kids as a team.
Re: Women Who Earn More Than Their Husbands! by kokoye(m): 2:06pm On Oct 05, 2010
I paid for my wife thru grad school . . she is an investment banker. She lost her job for 7months after she had our child and I gave her full access to all my accounts and gave her 2 credits cards as well during this period. It was also during this period of global recession that I bought the house.

She got her old investment job back and decided she would be putting all her money into my account.

Why am I saying this? We have the same goal and my wife trusts my completely with making sound financial decisions. I dont smoke or drink or womanize or party like hell. The only thing I think of is to ensure there is enough money for my family to spend and God has been good.

I just pay the bills and my wife then goes to make sure we've not been overcharged for anything. She has complete freedom with our money but of course I have to check her every once in a while because we know how women are with shopping. She also asks me if she sees any major expense that she is not aware of. WE must save some money at the end of the month . . no matter how little.

If we both realise she is better at managing money, I would have no problems at all giving her the control - she is my wife and soul.

This all comes down to trust and understanding. You must have one goal and that ought to be the family.

Why are we always trying to compete when we should act as one?

Be careful who you marry. They can make or break you.

Like someone said earlier, if you marry someone with insecurity or low self-esteem, then you have yourself to blame.

1 Like

Re: Women Who Earn More Than Their Husbands! by jaybee3(m): 2:13pm On Oct 05, 2010
^^^^
You haven't necessarily answered the question.
Your reply is aligned to you both fully trusting each other with hadling of  finances.

The OP's question is would you be comfortable if she earns 3 times your salary.

I personally wouldn't be comfortable with that but if that happens to be the case then i will still insist on paying more towards the household chores.
I have the need to feel like a man.
Re: Women Who Earn More Than Their Husbands! by kokoye(m): 2:16pm On Oct 05, 2010
^^^

Yes I did. check the part where I said it all comes down to trust and understanding.  This means yes I will be comfortable with it . .since we both have the same goal. . . when she her job back, she decided on her own to put her money into my account and still asks me before she does anything with it.

So again, Yes I wont mind . . I have been blessed with a good woman. But again, that is just me.   wink
Re: Women Who Earn More Than Their Husbands! by Nwaka77: 2:17pm On Oct 05, 2010
Its funny because most of the women in my immediate family earn more than their husbands and they have been married for a long time. My older sister is a career woman and she started making more money than her husband long before they even got married. My aunt makes alot of money because she owns a pharmacy in addition to being a nurse and midwife. Her husband on the other hand does not make much. But they have been married for years which tells me that it all boils down to the individuals involved. It also depends on the individuals' personality.

Personally, I will hate a circumstance where I will be making more than my husband. If it happens temporarily then fine. But permanently would be a disaster. I don't need a grown ass man for a dependent permanently. My kids should be my dependents not a grown man with a beard, just saying.

And the poster that said somthing about single rich ladies are not respected in naija shows that nigeria has a long way to go. In advanced societies, single and married women are accomplishing great things in life. Not everyone is cut out for marraige and the earlier nigerians realize that, the less stories we will hear about husbands killing their wives and constant violence in the home. Lastly, my dad is late so my mom is a widow yet all this broke nigerian women who are married constantly come to her for financial assistance. I find that so annoying! And their husbands are alive and breathing. So being under a man can have its advantage and disadvantage. My 2 cents!
Re: Women Who Earn More Than Their Husbands! by emmatok(m): 2:31pm On Oct 05, 2010
I agree with the joint account stuff.

The couple should have a joint account were they can both deposit certain amount of their monthly pay equally at the end of every mouth, for family expenses like .bills, feeding school,children stuff e.t.c.

Then they can keep their personal accounts for their own private use .
Re: Women Who Earn More Than Their Husbands! by Hauwa1: 2:47pm On Oct 05, 2010
emmatok:

I agree with the joint account stuff.

The couple should have a joint account were they can both deposit certain amount of their monthly pay equally at the end of every mouth, for family expenses like .bills, feeding school,children stuff e.t.c.

Then they can keep their personal accounts for their own private use .

contradicting your first statement above  undecided
private use as in ??  undecided

i hope i do. i will still want us to make decisions together and put our money in one account.
Re: Women Who Earn More Than Their Husbands! by ud4u: 2:52pm On Oct 05, 2010
There is nothing wrong with this

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Homosexual Priest To 'marry' Nigerian Male Model / He Was Dying While His Mum Was Having Sex / What Name Did U Save Ur Dad's Number With In Your Phone?give Reasons

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.