Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,546 members, 7,865,253 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 02:41 PM

Would Lifting The Ban On Beef Imports End Fulani Pastoral Farming? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Would Lifting The Ban On Beef Imports End Fulani Pastoral Farming? (1251 Views)

Lawyer Wears Pastoral Robe To Anambra Court / Akeredolu Urges Chicken Consumption As Southwest Spends ₦2.5bn On Beef Daily / Yoruba Stakeholders Resolve To End Fulani Herders Attack (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Would Lifting The Ban On Beef Imports End Fulani Pastoral Farming? by grandstar(m): 9:18pm On Jun 20, 2019
What I've written above may seem taboo but I'm sure if foreign beef and other meats such as chicken and turkey are imported with low tariffs on them (not more than 20%), it would bring down the price of beef and deal a blow to the profits of the herdsmen

They'll probably still be profitable but not to the present extent where they have a lock on the business.

A reduction in profits may drive many from the business

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Would Lifting The Ban On Beef Imports End Fulani Pastoral Farming? by Blue3k(m): 9:29pm On Jun 20, 2019
I dont think it would end all the violence or herding but it would greatly reduce it. I say this because other neighboring countries dont have frozen beef bans. The other big issue is the police are inept. Nigerians dont even consume that much beef per capita yet they get killed over it. Why stop at beef why not go down the list?

Notice you're allowed to import live cows but not beef. The competition from Americans and Brazilians would make them chage their business practices.

Front page: Lalasticlala mynd44

1 Like

Re: Would Lifting The Ban On Beef Imports End Fulani Pastoral Farming? by dawnomike(m): 9:58pm On Jun 20, 2019
It's not a bad idea
Re: Would Lifting The Ban On Beef Imports End Fulani Pastoral Farming? by citizenY(m): 10:13pm On Jun 20, 2019
dawnomike:
It's not a bad idea

Maybe we should ban the Fulani from Nigeria or better still stop grass from growing.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Would Lifting The Ban On Beef Imports End Fulani Pastoral Farming? by Blue3k(m): 10:57pm On Jun 20, 2019
The proposal makes sense but Buhari and most Nigerians are protectionist at heart. We import fish without an issue but these businesses need protection in their mind. The NASS could intervene but it needs veto proof majority if it requires law change.

1 Like

Re: Would Lifting The Ban On Beef Imports End Fulani Pastoral Farming? by Blue3k(m): 12:31pm On Jun 21, 2019
Bump
Re: Would Lifting The Ban On Beef Imports End Fulani Pastoral Farming? by ken6488(m): 12:57pm On Jun 21, 2019
grandstar:
What I've written above may seem taboo but I'm sure if foreign beef and other meats such as chicken and turkey are imported with low tariffs on them (not more than 20%), it would bring down the price of beef and deal a blow to the profits of the herdsmen

They'll probably still be profitable but not to the present extent where they have a lock on the business.

not good for the economic...

I suggest sambisa forest should be a good reserve for them.....

Yeah
Re: Would Lifting The Ban On Beef Imports End Fulani Pastoral Farming? by Blue3k(m): 1:48pm On Jun 21, 2019
ken6488:
not good for the economic...

I suggest sambisa forest should be a good reserve for them.....

Yeah

Why is ok for Nigeria to import the cows and pigs but not the beef and pork? After all these years of protectionism they chose not to adapt and tax payers have to heap more subsidies on thier business. Now states and FG are planning building cattle reservesfor them. The cost to use facilities hasn't been mentioned either.

The economy will be fine. Nigerians will get cheaper food prices. The cattle rearers will simply have to adapt like fishers and fish farmers do.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Would Lifting The Ban On Beef Imports End Fulani Pastoral Farming? by SluttanSlayer: 2:09pm On Jun 21, 2019
Blue3k:
Bump

Stop copying BishopMagic
Re: Would Lifting The Ban On Beef Imports End Fulani Pastoral Farming? by helinues: 2:24pm On Jun 21, 2019
Are there no herders where we are importing from?
Re: Would Lifting The Ban On Beef Imports End Fulani Pastoral Farming? by ken6488(m): 2:39pm On Jun 21, 2019
Blue3k:

Why is ok for Nigeria to import the cows and pigs but not the beef and pork? After all these years of protectionism they chose not to adapt and tax payers have to heap more subsidies on thier business. Now states and FG are planning building cattle reservesfor them. The cost to use facilities hasn't been mentioned either.

The economy will be fine. Nigerians will get cheaper food prices. The cattle rearers will simply have to adapt like fishers and fish farmers do.
cool
Re: Would Lifting The Ban On Beef Imports End Fulani Pastoral Farming? by Blue3k(m): 5:24pm On Jun 21, 2019
SluttanSlayer:

Stop copying BishopMagic

Dont act dense. Who ever this guy is didn't coin the term.

1 Like

Re: Would Lifting The Ban On Beef Imports End Fulani Pastoral Farming? by SluttanSlayer: 5:30pm On Jun 21, 2019
Blue3k:

Dont act dense. Who ever this guy is didn't coin the term.

Nah oladimeji coin am abi?
Re: Would Lifting The Ban On Beef Imports End Fulani Pastoral Farming? by sapientia(m): 5:33pm On Jun 21, 2019
Well, when governments fail.

Its now in NL that we proffer solutions to national issues.

Who did we offend?
Re: Would Lifting The Ban On Beef Imports End Fulani Pastoral Farming? by Blue3k(m): 5:34pm On Jun 21, 2019
SluttanSlayer:

Nah oladimeji coin am abi?

Again stop acting dense. You know this term is old as dirt. Comment on the topic instead.

helinues:

Nigeria does import cattle not beef. Alot of Niger Republic herdsmen do come down to Nigeria to sell in open markets.

There should be other countries we import cattle from though but Im having hard time finding it in NBS. I did see stuff on atlas.mit
Re: Would Lifting The Ban On Beef Imports End Fulani Pastoral Farming? by czarina(f): 9:57pm On Jun 21, 2019
SluttanSlayer:

Stop copying BishopMagic
Relax, people do that everywhere. Even on Facebook groups to bump up old posts.
Re: Would Lifting The Ban On Beef Imports End Fulani Pastoral Farming? by grandstar(m): 9:20am On Jun 24, 2019
helinues:

America, Argentina, Uruguay and Brazil use ranches.
Re: Would Lifting The Ban On Beef Imports End Fulani Pastoral Farming? by grandstar(m): 9:22am On Jun 24, 2019
Blue3k:

Again stop acting dense. You know this term is old as dirt. Comment on the topic instead.

Nigeria does import cattle not beef. Alot of Niger Republic herdsmen do come down to Nigeria to sell in open markets.

There should be other countries we import cattle from though but Im having hard time finding it in NBS. I did see stuff on atlas.mit

My brother's friend imports steak from South Africa for his restaurant. I don't think the Fulani have a steak culture grin
Re: Would Lifting The Ban On Beef Imports End Fulani Pastoral Farming? by omohayek: 9:33am On Jun 24, 2019
grandstar:

Assuming Nigeria's ridiculously mismanaged ports don't mess things up, I suspect the Fulani nomads wouldn't be able to compete with foreign imports on either price or quality, not even for milk let alone beef. The real problem (apart from Nigerians love for failed protectionist policies) is that any mass imports would probably end up sitting for months in Apapa, thanks to a refusal to sell off (or at least concession) the port to private management with proven expertise: this in turn would drive up the price of the imports well beyond what it costs to buy and ship them to Nigeria. Fulani herdsmen, with their finely-honed skills at evading border controls, don't have to worry about such hassles as grasping, incompetent customs agents ...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Would Lifting The Ban On Beef Imports End Fulani Pastoral Farming? by Blue3k(m): 3:20pm On Jun 24, 2019
grandstar:

My brother's friend imports steak from South Africa for his restaurant. I don't think the Fulani have a steak culture grin

Yeah I notice that aswell. Personally on my visits to Akwa Ibom I don't see state to buy or ground beef. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough but I do find at shoprite in Abuja.

Hey cutting beef is skill they can pick up easily. The butchers just need practice..

Re: Would Lifting The Ban On Beef Imports End Fulani Pastoral Farming? by grandstar(m): 6:36pm On Jun 24, 2019
omohayek:

Assuming Nigeria's ridiculously mismanaged ports don't mess things up, I suspect the Fulani nomads wouldn't be able to compete with foreign imports on either price or quality, not even for milk let alone beef. The real problem (apart from Nigerians love for failed protectionist policies) is that any mass imports would probably end up sitting for months in Apapa, thanks to a refusal to sell off (or at least concession) the port to private management with proven expertise: this in turn would drive up the price of the imports well beyond what it costs to buy and ship them to Nigeria. Fulani herdsmen, with their finely-honed skills at evading border controls, don't have to worry about such hassles as grasping, incompetent customs agents ...

In the early 1990's when the CFA was greatly overvalued, Fulani herdsmen more often left Ivory Coast empty handed rather than sell at a loss. Imported beef was much cheaper.

However, upon the 50% devaluation in 1994, Fulani beef could now compete with the imported variety.

I suspect the Fulani's are competitive, but not sure to what extent.

Whether competitive or not, government needs to end their impunity

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Would Lifting The Ban On Beef Imports End Fulani Pastoral Farming? by omohayek: 8:04pm On Jun 24, 2019
grandstar:

In the early 1990's when the CFA was greatly overvalued, Fulani herdsmen more often left Ivory Coast empty handed rather than sell at a loss. Imported beef was much cheaper.

However, upon the 50% devaluation in 1994, Fulani beef could now compete with the imported variety.

I suspect the Fulani's are competitive, but not sure to what extent.

Whether competitive or not, government needs to end their impunity
Even if they seem competitive now, how much of an advantage would they retain if

[1] they had to pay proper the same sorts of import duties as companies bringing in beef from Argentina and the USA,
[2] they had to ensure that their cattle met minimal health and safety standards of the sort imported Western beef would easily pass.

In short, I suspect any illusory cost advantage these herders may possess is due more to Nigeria's dysfunction as a state than anything else.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Would Lifting The Ban On Beef Imports End Fulani Pastoral Farming? by grandstar(m): 9:49am On Jun 25, 2019
omohayek:

Even if they seem competitive now, how much of an advantage would they retain if

[1] they had to pay proper the same sorts of import duties as companies bringing in beef from Argentina and the USA,
[2] they had to ensure that their cattle met minimal health and safety standards of the sort imported Western beef would easily pass.

In short, I suspect any illusory cost advantage these herders may possess is due more to Nigeria's dysfunction as a state than anything else.

I met a lady who came from Kenya and expressed surprise that butchers here did not sell meat on the ground floor of a building. It really seemed strange to her. That's Kenya that's poorer than Nigeria The economy of Lagos us even bigger than their economy.
Re: Would Lifting The Ban On Beef Imports End Fulani Pastoral Farming? by Blue3k(m): 3:29pm On Jul 04, 2019
This ruga settlement adds new dimensions to discussion. If the government is willing to assist their business why should they deny Nigerians options of importing?

1 Like

Re: Would Lifting The Ban On Beef Imports End Fulani Pastoral Farming? by Blue3k(m): 2:14pm On Jul 07, 2019
Coming to bump thread yet again. It seem the proposal is an inevitable no matter how it's sliced and diced. The Nigerian population is growing rapidly and as wealth grows demand spikes. Nigeria currently needs 20% of the land dedicated to beef production. This means we'll never be "self sufficient" in this beef.

Right now nigeria consumes less beef on average that most African countries. The stats will get worse looking at milk production. Nigeria will be decent producers and high importer.

(1) (Reply)

Tribunal Judgment Is Victory For IPOB..! The Painful Truth.. / Why Bola Tinubu Can Never Be Nigeria's President / June 12 Annulment Will Haunt Me For The Rest Of My Life – IBB

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.