Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,421 members, 7,815,954 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:03 PM

What Does It Mean To Work Out Your Salvation With Fear & Trembling In The Bible? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Does It Mean To Work Out Your Salvation With Fear & Trembling In The Bible? (9336 Views)

Pastor Adeboye: If You Are Afraid Of Death At 70, Check Your Salvation / Your Attitude To Sin Determines Your Salvation/Perfection, Not Activities / If You Believe You Can Lose Your Salvation, Then You Have Called God A Liar (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Does It Mean To Work Out Your Salvation With Fear & Trembling In The Bible? by unstoppable51(m): 11:47pm On Jun 22, 2019
From FeedMeJesus.com

Philippians 2:12 is one of the most highly misunderstood verses of the scripture. This wouldn’t have been so if we had never mastered the act of lifting scriptures out of context and making it say what it was never meant to.

In a bid to discredit and prove the Truth of eternal salvation wrong, most people have greatly misconstrued this beautiful verse of the scripture.

(Php 2:12) Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

What was Paul the apostle trying to say here? What does this verse really mean?

First, unlike what is popularly believed out there, this verse isn’t asking you to work for your salvation. It said work it out.

I really need you to understand that to work out your Salvation is not the same as working for it. When people read this verse, they often make the mistake of thinking they are the same. They think the verse is asking you to do something (good things) in order to produce or receive your own salvation.

This is a very wrong notion because as important as our good works are, they count for nothing when it comes to being a criteria for salvation. They cannot merit or provide that wonderful experience for us. That is why Salvation is a gift.

(Eph 2:cool For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

(Eph 2:9) Not of works, lest any man should boast.

As a matter of fact when it comes to Salvation, our good works (self righteousness) are counted before God as used or dirty sanitary rag.

(Isa 64:6) But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.

It is that useless when used as a criteria for receiving Salvation. This is why Salvation is a complete gift of God’s grace received only by Faith. Not merits.

The statement “work out your own salvation with fear and trembling” was an apostolic instruction Paul gave to the Philippian church, charging them to live uprightly as those who have received God’s salvation already within their spirits.

He wasn’t asking them to live uprightly in order to receive salvation. That is to work for it. He was asking them to live uprightly because they have been saved already. The next verse to that one throws more light, take a look at it.

(Php 2:12) Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

(Php 2:13) For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

God works within you so you let the world see it. Let what God has done within you reflect on the outside. In your words and conducts. Since you are saved, live like it.

The instruction is similar to what Jesus said to His disciples after calling them the Lights of the world.

(Mat 5:14) Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.

(Mat 5:15) Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.

(Mat 5:16) Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

So as Christians, the whole of Philippians 2 encourages us to live the life of Christ on the earth. Not so as God would pat us on the back and offer us His salvation as a reward for our good living. It is simply because we have already received that Salvation as a gift, empowering us us to live righteously in this crooked world.

It is like the popular song, “Let the world see Jesus in your eyes….” How can they see Jesus in your eyes or life if you don’t already have Him living within you? How can you work out your salvation if you don’t already have that salvation given to you?

You have received the workings of God within you (Salvation) so you let it reflect in your lifestyle (work it out). That is what Philippians 2:12 is saying, not the other way round.

I hope this blesses you.

Glory to God, our Saviour and King!

Source: https://www.feedmejesus.com/2019/03/what-does-it-mean-to-work-out-your.html

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Does It Mean To Work Out Your Salvation With Fear & Trembling In The Bible? by malvisguy212: 12:57am On Jun 23, 2019
Salvation is not DOING something ; it is KNOWING someone (John 17:3). Salvation is not based on what we might do; it is based on what Christ has ALREADY DONE (John 19:30). Salvation is not TRYING; it is TRUSTING (John 6:47). Even the devil know this as God plan of salvation in Luke 8:12:

"Those by the way side are they that hear;
then cometh the devil, and taketh away the
word out of their hearts, lest they should
BELIEVED AND BE SAVED" (Luke 8:12).

who is the word ? Jesus and what must a man do to be saved ? believed on the word .

In Philippians 2:12-13 the greak word translated fear in this context can be " reference, respect" psalm 2:11 sum it up perfectly:

11 Serve the LORD with fear,
and rejoice with h trembling.

if serve the Lord with fear why rejoice ? the fear here mean respect, We work out our salvation by going to the very source of our salvation, the Word of
God , Jesus.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Does It Mean To Work Out Your Salvation With Fear & Trembling In The Bible? by Dafemich(m): 3:14am On Jun 23, 2019
malvisguy212:
Salvation is not DOING something ; it is KNOWING someone (John 17:3). Salvation is not based on what we might do; it is based on what Christ has ALREADY DONE (John 19:30). Salvation is not TRYING; it is TRUSTING (John 6:47). Even the devil know this as God plan of salvation in Luke 8:12:

"Those by the way side are they that hear;
then cometh the devil, and taketh away the
word out of their hearts, lest they should
BELIEVED AND BE SAVED" (Luke 8:12).

who is the word ? Jesus and what must a man do to be saved ? believed on the word .

In Philippians 2:12-13 the greak word translated fear in this context can be " reference, respect" psalm 2:11 sum it up perfectly:

11 Serve the LORD with fear,
and rejoice with h trembling.

if serve the Lord with fear why rejoice ? the fear here mean respect, We work out our salvation by going to the very source of our salvation, the Word of
God , Jesus.
You made a lot of sense. So salvation is not base on what we can do, but what Christ has done. I want to ask, the fact that Christ has done it, can't we because of our ways of living undone it

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does It Mean To Work Out Your Salvation With Fear & Trembling In The Bible? by alBHAGDADI: 4:48am On Jun 23, 2019
Dafemich:
You made a lot of sense. So salvation is not base on what we can do, but what Christ has done. I want to ask, the fact that Christ has done it, can't we because of our ways of living undone it

If I get you, what you are trying to know is if we can make what Christ has done useless because of our sins.

No we can't, because we as humans will always sin as long as we are in this flesh. It is those sins Jesus came to take away.

Mathew 1:21
And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.

Now, does that mean we now have a licence to sin? No, we don't.

If you believe you can lose your salvation, read this thread:

https://www.nairaland.com/4931034/believe-lose-salvation-then-called

If you believed Judas and Demas lost their salvation, read this:

https://www.nairaland.com/4942940/judas-demas-examining-verses-people

How Satan prevents you from believing the gospel of once saved always saved:

https://www.nairaland.com/4838851/how-enemy-makes-reject-finished

To see that it is only one sin that sends people to hell fire, read this:

https://www.nairaland.com/4878886/it-only-one-sin-sends

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does It Mean To Work Out Your Salvation With Fear & Trembling In The Bible? by Dafemich(m): 5:10am On Jun 23, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

If I get you, what you are trying to know is if we can make what Christ has done useless because of our sins.

No we can't, because we as humans will always sin as long as we are in this flesh. It is those sins Jesus came to take away.

And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.

I read the first thread, I didn't go through the rest. Recently, I start writing a book concerning your stand, but I stop after almost concluding it. I love the Lord Jesus, and I want to make heaven, so I don't to do any wrong thing. Am really confused presently. I don't know if what am writing is the right thing. I don't know am being led by the Spirit of God to write it. so I stop. Don't you think one can really lose his salvation? If I fall into sin, shouldn't I be condemned. I don't know. Am really serious. this is what is happening with me presently.
Re: What Does It Mean To Work Out Your Salvation With Fear & Trembling In The Bible? by alBHAGDADI: 5:13am On Jun 23, 2019
Dafemich:
I read the first thread, I didn't go through the rest. Recently, I start writing a book concerning your stand, but I stop after almost concluding it. I love the Lord Jesus, and I want to make heaven, so I don't to do any wrong thing. Am really confused presently. I don't know if what am writing is the right thing. I don't know am being led by the Spirit of God to write it. so I stop. Don't you think one can really lose his salvation? If I fall into sin, shouldn't I be condemned. I don't know. Am really serious. this is what is happening with me presently.

Take your time to read all the threads. The answer to your questions are there.
Re: What Does It Mean To Work Out Your Salvation With Fear & Trembling In The Bible? by Dafemich(m): 5:21am On Jun 23, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

Take your time to read all the threads. The answer to your questions are there.

The way people are going against it, that was why I didn't read the rest. The issue is not about the thread. Should one continue believing that one can't lose is salvation. should I continue writing on this. Am really confuse

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Work Out Your Salvation With Fear & Trembling In The Bible? by malvisguy212: 6:44am On Jun 23, 2019
Dafemich:
God forbid, sin is what Christ has already defected , you just need to believed and be saved.
Re: What Does It Mean To Work Out Your Salvation With Fear & Trembling In The Bible? by alBHAGDADI: 6:49am On Jun 23, 2019
Dafemich:
The way people are going against it, that was why I didn't read the rest. The issue is not about the thread. Should one continue believing that one can't lose is salvation. should I continue writing on this. Am really confuse

For you to have doubted the thread because of how people went against it shows you never believed its content. The attack from those people have plucked the message from your heart.

Mark 4:15
And these are they by the way side, where the word is sown; but when they have heard, Satan cometh immediately, and taketh away the word that was sown in their hearts.

If you continue writing that people can lose their salvation, then you are among those leading people to hell fire.
Re: What Does It Mean To Work Out Your Salvation With Fear & Trembling In The Bible? by unstoppable51(m): 7:36am On Jun 23, 2019
Dafemich:
The way people are going against it, that was why I didn't read the rest. Am really confuse
Good morning bro!
From your replies you seem really sincere about wanting to understand the truth concerning Salvation. I have been in the position that you are in right now and here's what helped me discover and built my convictions on this:
1. I made up my mind to put a lot of effort in knowing the truth for myself so I READ & LISTENED A LOT.
You can't keep away from properly explained threads, posts, books, audio teachings etc because of what people say and expect to understand all you desire.
2. I began to value WHAT DOES THE BIBLE SAY a lot more than what are people saying about this? Only the Word counts for me.
3. Praying Pauline prayers
For now, I'll respectfully advise you pause the book and learn first sir. You'll bless more lives!
Two sites I'll personally recommend for you is https://www.feedmejesus.com and also livingwordmedia.org (audio teachings free download)
Re: What Does It Mean To Work Out Your Salvation With Fear & Trembling In The Bible? by NobleAngell(f): 7:55am On Jun 23, 2019
Work out your salvation with fear and trembling simply refers to those people who don't bother searching the word of God to know what it says, they take their men of God more seriously than God Himself. On the last day everyone will account for his deeds including the men of God. On that day, you wont blame your pastor for misleading you or omitting somethings. The word of God is there for you, so work out your salvation yourself.

The second category of people are those that don't want to serve God because of other people. Some people are under family pressure to serve God. And some don't want to serve God because of their family or friends That is why the bible says the day shall come when He shall separate those that serve Him and those that serve Him not. On that day, you're the only one accountable for your deeds and decisions.

So brethren, work out your salvation with fear and trembling bearing in mind that only you will stand on the last day.

2 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Work Out Your Salvation With Fear & Trembling In The Bible? by Nobody: 8:51am On Jun 23, 2019
Thanks for sharing

I believe the complete thought is found from reading verse 12 and 13

...Keep on working with fear and trembling to complete your salvation, because God is always at work in you to make you willing and able to obey his own purpose.
Philippians 2:12‭-‬13 GNB

GOD bless you

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Work Out Your Salvation With Fear & Trembling In The Bible? by SILVERLINES: 8:52am On Jun 23, 2019
I hardly read all this religious stuff

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Work Out Your Salvation With Fear & Trembling In The Bible? by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 8:53am On Jun 23, 2019
grin grin grin
Re: What Does It Mean To Work Out Your Salvation With Fear & Trembling In The Bible? by fydence: 8:56am On Jun 23, 2019
Simple scenario please: I give my life to Christ today and tomorrow I slept with my neighbour's wife and died on top of her...

Question : Am I going to heaven?

Question 2: 1 Cor 9:27 What did Paul mean by being a Castaway?

3 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Work Out Your Salvation With Fear & Trembling In The Bible? by YourNextLevel(m): 9:01am On Jun 23, 2019
The answer is the next verse. To understand more add Eph 2:10

Remain blessed
Re: What Does It Mean To Work Out Your Salvation With Fear & Trembling In The Bible? by fydence: 9:02am On Jun 23, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

Oga don't confuse people to Hell fire.
Salvation is one thing continual fellowship is another.
This "New gospel" manufactured in Hell is the reason we now have Pastors and believers misbehaving and dis gracing the body of Christ.
Most of these fry fry Pastor's can't even hold their homes together...divorces everwhere
There is grace ..but then there are Principles.
If you don't believe, claim divine health and don't keep your surroundings clean whether mosquitoes won't give you malaria on top your divine health.

6 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Work Out Your Salvation With Fear & Trembling In The Bible? by Benekruku(m): 9:03am On Jun 23, 2019
Na devils full this Nairaland

Religious topic struggle hard to go past page 1

Just bring Regina Daniels topic and you will find it in page 3 in 10minutes grin grin grin
Re: What Does It Mean To Work Out Your Salvation With Fear & Trembling In The Bible? by uuzba(m): 9:03am On Jun 23, 2019
It means after the pastor has preached bible to you, take that knowledge understand it, and take God personally as your father and then behave as your father expects.

Don't fall under the mistake of Adam and Eve. God tested them by closing his eyes/walking out of the garden/leaving them alone. As per, "I have given you all these good things. Will you understand so? And continue doing good even when I'm not around for the sake that goodness itself is good?"

Adam and Eve failed that test. They immediately did bad the moment they knew God was not watching them.

This same test is placed on all our heads.

Jesus never failed that test. "My God, why has thou forsaken me"?
As per, even when God "Abandoned" him, he continued doing Good. He never got angry at the Father.
This is why his name is above all names. All Angels Bow at the name of Jesus. So should you.
You now, follow Jesus 100%. Take your Bible, read the gospels. Matthew, Mark, Luke, John. And do EVERYTHING Jesus said to do in those books

And stop quoting bible left and right. One will not gain eternal life with fantastic bible cramming. But by doing the will of God.

4 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Work Out Your Salvation With Fear & Trembling In The Bible? by orisa37: 9:09am On Jun 23, 2019
Work in Faith and in Hope with Humility, Endurance, Perseverance and in all Charities.
Re: What Does It Mean To Work Out Your Salvation With Fear & Trembling In The Bible? by bomsilaga(m): 9:09am On Jun 23, 2019
Broad is the way to destruction bro, and many find it.
Dafemich:

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Work Out Your Salvation With Fear & Trembling In The Bible? by Ramon92: 9:16am On Jun 23, 2019
grin
Re: What Does It Mean To Work Out Your Salvation With Fear & Trembling In The Bible? by Ramon92: 9:17am On Jun 23, 2019
Abi Paul was threatening them with hell fire in a subtle way if they don't follow his teachings..
Re: What Does It Mean To Work Out Your Salvation With Fear & Trembling In The Bible? by alBHAGDADI: 9:31am On Jun 23, 2019
fydence:

Oga don't confuse people to Hell fire.
Salvation is one thing continual fellowship is another.
This "New gospel" manufactured in Hell is the reason we now have Pastors and believers misbehaving and dis gracing the body of Christ.
Most of these fry fry Pastor's can't even hold their homes together...divorces everwhere
There is grace ..but then there are Principles.
If you don't believe, claim divine health and don't keep your surroundings clean whether mosquitoes won't give you malaria on top your divine health.

According to you, Jesus Christ is like a bank that can't really keep something safe.

Can you mention one man that is without sin? I bet you can't. That means no man will make heaven according to you.

Yes, people are sinning, but that's cos they are in the flesh which wars against the spirit. The spirit is saved and will make heaven, but the flesh just wants to do fleshy things.

You don't even have scriptures to back your false belief
Re: What Does It Mean To Work Out Your Salvation With Fear & Trembling In The Bible? by malvisguy212: 9:38am On Jun 23, 2019
Benekruku:
Na devils full this Nairaland

Religious topic struggle hard to go past page 1

Just bring Regina Daniels topic and you will find it in page 3 in 10minutes grin grin grin
judges 2:10 a generation without God.
Re: What Does It Mean To Work Out Your Salvation With Fear & Trembling In The Bible? by fydence: 9:45am On Jun 23, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

According to you, Jesus Christ is like a bank that can't really keep something safe.

Can you mention one man that is without sin? I bet you can't. That means no man will make heaven according to you.

Yes, people are sinning, but that's cos they are in the flesh which wars against the spirit. The spirit is saved and will make heaven, but the flesh just wants to do fleshy things.

You don't even have scriptures to back your false belief

Chai...No wonder the body of Christ is powerless and without Influence today.
One cannot tell who is a christian again because Jesus is a "Power bank"
Repent today misbehave tomorrow and deceive yourselves that you are right.

When a believer falls he ought to go back to the father and say lord I have sinned please have mercy and restore our fellowship. So yea people sin but believers have the option of restoring fellowship because he has been saved. But the devilish doctrine of once saved ..saved forever teaches us to continue to swim in Sin and that somehow by the blood of Jesus..God is ok with it.

It's not by copying scriptures everywhere from Sunday service note book. What did Paul mean by being cast away in 1 Cor 9:27?

4 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Work Out Your Salvation With Fear & Trembling In The Bible? by alBHAGDADI: 9:46am On Jun 23, 2019
fydence:
Simple scenario please: I give my life to Christ today and tomorrow I slept with my neighbour's wife and died on top of her...

Question : Am I going to heaven?

Question 2: 1 Cor 9:27 What did Paul mean by being a Castaway?

The fact that you doubt going to heaven because you committed sin before death simply means you are not going to heaven. You don't believe Jesus took away your sins. You only believe he took away the past sins leaving you to be responsible for the future ones. That concept doesn't make Jesus powerful.

When the Bible said Jesus takes away sins, it never said it is the past since alone.

If truly you believed that Jesus has wiped off your past, present and future sins, you will certain know that you will still make heaven despite sleeping with your neighbor's wife. Is this a licence to sin? No. Having automatic ticket to heaven doesn't mean you won't get punished for sins. You will, but it will be here on Earth, and that could be why you died on top of your neighbor's wife. But as for making heaven, it is certain.

Now, to rhe verse you cited. It is not Paul talking about not wanting to be rejected in heaven. What Paul is talking about is that he is subjecting himself to discipline so all those whom he preached to won't see him fall behind or shipwrecked. If you read the entire passage from the beginning, you will see that that's what he's talking about.

But you got confused by the word castaway which you think means he will be rejected from away. No. See the meaning of the word in the screenshot below and juxtapose it with what I've said so far.

1 Corinthians 9:26-27
26 I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air:
27 But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.

Re: What Does It Mean To Work Out Your Salvation With Fear & Trembling In The Bible? by alBHAGDADI: 9:47am On Jun 23, 2019
fydence:

It's not by copying scriptures everywhere from Sunday service note book. What did Paul mean by being cast away in 1 Cor 9:27?

Look up
Re: What Does It Mean To Work Out Your Salvation With Fear & Trembling In The Bible? by Dafemich(m): 9:54am On Jun 23, 2019
unstoppable51:

Good morning bro!
From your replies you seem really sincere about wanting to understand the truth concerning Salvation. I have been in the position that you are in right now and here's what helped me discover and built my convictions on this:
1. I made up my mind to put a lot of effort in knowing the truth for myself so I READ & LISTENED A LOT.
You can't keep away from properly explained threads, posts, books, audio teachings etc because of what people say and expect to understand all you desire.
2. I began to value WHAT DOES THE BIBLE SAY a lot more than what are people saying about this? Only the Word counts for me.
3. Praying Pauline prayers
For now, I'll respectfully advise you pause the book and learn first sir. You'll bless more lives!
Two sites I'll personally recommend for you is https://www.feedmejesus.com and also livingwordmedia.org (audio teachings free download)
Thanks brother. Have stopped for now. Am just really confuse. I don't want to write something that may not be the truth.
Re: What Does It Mean To Work Out Your Salvation With Fear & Trembling In The Bible? by Dafemich(m): 9:55am On Jun 23, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

For you to have doubted the thread because of how people went against it shows you never believed its content. The attack from those people have plucked the message from your heart.

Mark 4:15
And these are they by the way side, where the word is sown; but when they have heard, Satan cometh immediately, and taketh away the word that was sown in their hearts.

If you continue writing that people can lose their salvation, then you are among those leading people to hell fire.
Ok. thanks
Re: What Does It Mean To Work Out Your Salvation With Fear & Trembling In The Bible? by Flashlaundry(m): 9:55am On Jun 23, 2019
Remain blessed

Does the weekly washing get you down?

Pressed for time, or just hate ironing?.

At Flash Laundry, we take care of your laundry needs. We offer Home Service and pick up and delivery in Lagos. >08081154939<

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How The Universe Will End / 5 Nights Of Glory With Pastor David Ibiyeomie / What Are Truly The Signs Of A Genuine Christian?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.