Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,369 members, 7,812,087 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:53 AM

Hyundai Accent Electronic Power Steering Problem - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Hyundai Accent Electronic Power Steering Problem (5383 Views)

DIY Tips On How To Fix Your Power Steering Problem / Corolla Steering Problem / Power Steering Problem (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hyundai Accent Electronic Power Steering Problem by sheantip(m): 8:19pm On Jun 23, 2019
my bosses in the house, i drive a hyundai accent 2008 model.
whenever the eps light comes up on the dashboard, the steering becomes very hard to turn.
i gave it to a technician, did some works on the steering, the light went off for some hours then the light came back amd the steering becomes hard again.
I've given it to two technicians now and the same thing has repeated itself, always back to square one.
I'm getting tired, come to my aid.
gazzuzz, timifakay, nurey and my other bosses
Re: Hyundai Accent Electronic Power Steering Problem by nurey(m): 8:52pm On Jun 23, 2019
sheantip:
whenever the eps light comes up on the dashboard, the steering becomes very hard to turn.
i gave it to a technician, did some works on the steering, the light went off for some hours then the light came back amd the steering becomes hard again.
I've given it to two technicians now and the same thing has repeated itself, always back to square one.
and my other bosses

scan the car for codes, if non appears then

let the mechanic check the EPS control module if it's in good condition at the steering column if that one no am

complete change of the Electronic power steering is next.

good luck but still wait for others reply
Re: Hyundai Accent Electronic Power Steering Problem by sheantip(m): 8:56pm On Jun 23, 2019
nurey:

scan the car for codes, if non appears then

let the mechanic check the EPS control module if it's in good condition at the steering column if that one no am

complete change of the Electronic power steering is next.

good luck but still wait for others reply
thanks boss. i appreciate.
Re: Hyundai Accent Electronic Power Steering Problem by AutoMoTech(m): 1:17am On Jun 24, 2019
sheantip:
gazzuzz, timifakay, nurey and my other bosses

I believe what you are experiencing is an intermittent issue with your electronic power steering system. Like oga Nurey suggested a scan of d ESP module and anyoda module would really help with remote diagnosis. Pls try get in touch with any technician with a high end scan tool to help run a deep scan into all the systems. Post codes here so we can help suggest on possible fixes.

1 Like

Re: Hyundai Accent Electronic Power Steering Problem by sheantip(m): 7:07am On Jun 24, 2019
AutoMoTech:

I believe what you are experiencing is an intermittent issue with your electronic power steering system. Like oga Nurey suggested a scan of d ESP module and anyoda module would really help with remote diagnosis. Pls try get in touch with any technician with a high end scan tool to help run a deep scan into all the systems. Post codes here so we can help suggest on possible fixes.
i will run the scan first thing this morning and post codes here, thanks for your time.
Re: Hyundai Accent Electronic Power Steering Problem by AutoMoTech(m): 8:42am On Jun 24, 2019
sheantip:

i will run the scan first thing this morning and post codes here, thanks for your time.
Alright sir. Will be expecting
Re: Hyundai Accent Electronic Power Steering Problem by sheantip(m): 9:56am On Jun 24, 2019
AutoMoTech:

Alright sir. Will be expecting
C 1291 TORQUE S SUBSIGNAL FAIL

C 1292 TORQUE MAIN AND SUB FAIL

C 1112 5V SOURCE OVER RANGE

C 2412 MOTOR SHORT OR OPEN

C2415 MOTOR CURRENT ERROR

C1101 BATTERY VOLTAGE HIGH.

Those are the codes my bosses.
Re: Hyundai Accent Electronic Power Steering Problem by AutoMoTech(m): 5:10pm On Jun 24, 2019
sheantip:

For C1101 you need to check your charging system. Code was set because either the Alternator or battery voltage supply was higher than needed for the ABS. Also check the battery and alternator connections.

So for the other codes pls i would love to kno, were they particular to the electric power steering ? I need to be sure of what motor it is referring to so as to give better diagnosis.
However the C 2412 MOTOR SHORT OR OPEN and C2415 MOTOR CURRENT ERROR are definitely electrical faults. If the motor is faulty or damaged internally current wont flow throught hence the c2415 error.
My advice? Get the electric power steering checked.
Test the electrical connectors and the motor itself. Prepare to change power steering
Re: Hyundai Accent Electronic Power Steering Problem by sheantip(m): 9:56pm On Jun 24, 2019
AutoMoTech:

For C1101 you need to check your charging system. Code was set because either the Alternator or battery voltage supply was higher than needed for the ABS. Also check the battery and alternator connections.

So for the other codes pls i would love to kno, were they particular to the electric power steering ? I need to be sure of what motor it is referring to so as to give better diagnosis.
However the C 2412 MOTOR SHORT OR OPEN and C2415 MOTOR CURRENT ERROR are definitely electrical faults. If the motor is faulty or damaged internally current wont flow throught hence the c2415 error.
My advice? Get the electric power steering checked.
Test the electrical connectors and the motor itself. Prepare to change power steering

Yes, the other codes are particular to the power steering.

in changing the power steering, is it changing the whole steering with it's components or just the control module?

the technician gave me the option of changing it to a manual steering. is it something i can go for?
Re: Hyundai Accent Electronic Power Steering Problem by AutoMoTech(m): 11:57pm On Jun 25, 2019
sheantip:

Yes, the other codes are particular to the power steering.

in changing the power steering, is it changing the whole steering with it's components or just the control module?

the technician gave me the option of changing it to a manual steering. is it something i can go for?

Changing the whole system is a waste of money. Changing the control module is also a case of throwing parts at the car.
U need an expert technician who knows his onions to diagnose that system for you.
Basically he needs to check the control module, the wiring to d control module and the PS motor, the connectors and the motor itself.....
At any of these points you could have an open circuit that has caused that motor open or short and current error codes.
Are U in Lagos? If yes why not contact autologic? He can help you get that issue resolved through careful diagnosis.

As for conversion to manual, they say its cheaper (wc i doubt anyway) but U will never enjoy that ride again. I have no idea how dey r going to fix the power steering pump to the engine, modify steering rack, and all the hoses.... hehehehe
Baba no think am.
Just try get a good replacement unit for wateva component is found to be faulty.
Re: Hyundai Accent Electronic Power Steering Problem by kingreign(m): 12:39am On Jun 26, 2019
sheantip:
gazzuzz, timifakay, nurey and my other bosses[/quote

[quote author=sheantip post=79621801]

]Use a Digital Miltimeter to test the alternator voltage, if it's higher or lower than spec replace it, also check prepare to replace the EPS.

Wait, did you swim thru water or was the car a flooded car?
I need to know if it's Nigerian brand new sold or US spec?
Re: Hyundai Accent Electronic Power Steering Problem by AutoMoTech(m): 12:46am On Jun 26, 2019
[quote author=kingreign post=79673039][/quote]

In addition to ensure you carry out that test while the alternator is not loaded and when it is loaded. By loaded i mean turning your head lights on, radio on, ac on etc and see how much voltage your alternator produces. If its below or above spec replace as suggested.
Re: Hyundai Accent Electronic Power Steering Problem by sheantip(m): 11:04am On Jun 27, 2019
thanks for your responses mr kingreign and mr automotech.

the vehicle is in ogun state but i don't mind driving it to your workshop if any of you will be available.
sirs, if anyone will be available, I'll br happy to drive it down.
Re: Hyundai Accent Electronic Power Steering Problem by sheantip(m): 11:07am On Jun 27, 2019
[quote author=kingreign post=79673039][/quote]

bought it as a nigerian used car and everything has been functioning well cept for the steering which i initially thought was a small issue, but the way it's going now its showing its not small any longer.
Re: Hyundai Accent Electronic Power Steering Problem by kingreign(m): 11:24am On Jun 27, 2019
sheantip:
thanks for your responses mr kingreign and mr automotech.

the vehicle is in ogun state but i don't mind driving it to your workshop if any of you will be available.
sirs, if anyone will be available, I'll br happy to drive it down.

Gazzuzz is close to you, he's in Lagos. Call and book an appointment with him. +234 803 391 0382

1 Like

Re: Hyundai Accent Electronic Power Steering Problem by sheantip(m): 11:32am On Jun 27, 2019
kingreign:

Gazzuzz is close to you, he's in Lagos. Call and book an appointment with him. +234 803 391 0382
thanks sir.

I'll do that.
Re: Hyundai Accent Electronic Power Steering Problem by sheantip(m): 10:40pm On Jul 04, 2019
To cut long story short, alternator was the problem.
it wasn't supplying enough current to the steering, alternator was replaced and steering came back to life.

automotech and kingreign, Thanks for taking your time to respond to me. God bless.

2 Likes

Re: Hyundai Accent Electronic Power Steering Problem by AutoMoTech(m): 10:45pm On Jul 04, 2019
sheantip:
To cut long story short, alternator was the problem.
it wasn't supplying enough current to the steering, alternator was replaced and steering came back to life.

automotech and kingreign, Thanks for taking your time to respond to me. God bless.
More importantly thanks for the feedback. Helps us as techs to also grow Nd learn. Wouldnt have thot a faulty alternator would set an open circuit code for the power steering motor. ECU can be a crazy guy atimes shaaaa.
But i still wonder why would it throw a code for the PSP alone and nothing else?
Kingreign autologic autoelectng trygo any ideas?
Quite interesting I must admit. Thanks for d feedback.

2 Likes

Re: Hyundai Accent Electronic Power Steering Problem by autologic: 6:58am On Jul 05, 2019
AutoMoTech:

More importantly thanks for the feedback. Helps us as techs to also grow Nd learn. Wouldnt have thot a faulty alternator would set an open circuit code for the power steering motor. ECU can be a crazy guy atimes shaaaa.
But i still wonder why would it throw a code for the PSP alone and nothing else?
Kindly note that it was the EPS (Electronics power steering ) computer that set the code due to not getting up to the enough threshold voltage for proper operation . Alternator has already packed up and battery power will not be sufficient enough to power the EPS .
Note that for every module operation ,the most important source are the feed voltage and good ground,and below par ,it will start to malfunction .
Finally ,stop putting to much emphasize on codes codes cos it can lead you astray atimes ,endeavour to learn how things works electrically cos codes are mere algorithms and no way for algorithms to cover all aspect of a particular system malfunctions accurately ,you need electrical knowledge to make up for all shortcomings of codes . Electrical is still the foundation of whatever you see as codes or computer algorithms.
for nowadays cars o , electrical control the mechanical and without good electrical knowledge you can only be a part changer.
Electrical has taken over !

1 Like

Re: Hyundai Accent Electronic Power Steering Problem by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:38am On Jul 05, 2019
AutoMoTech:

That's why you have Google and all data and YouTube. It's always good to research and get more information after scanning a car so you don't just go ahead and swap parts. I googled OPS codes and they all pointed to a faulty alternator.

1 Like

Re: Hyundai Accent Electronic Power Steering Problem by autologic: 8:09am On Jul 05, 2019
tensazangetsu20:

That's why you have Google and all data and YouTube. It's always good to research and get more information after scanning a car so you don't just go ahead and swap parts. I googled OPS codes and they all pointed to a faulty alternator.
Even with that ,there are still so many mis- information and mis education online on auto matters .There are nothing as reliable as your own foundation knowledge , training(paid) and experience .Even if you must know ,alldata self get some errors.

1 Like

Re: Hyundai Accent Electronic Power Steering Problem by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:20am On Jul 05, 2019
autologic:

Even with that ,there are still so many mis- information and mis education online on auto matters .There are nothing as reliable as your own foundation knowledge , training(paid) and experience .Even if you must know ,alldata self get some errors.
Yes the basics is very important but you must also do research before taking on any major issue. Even medical doctors after years of schooling still take to the internet to do basic research. Besides knowledge is ever evolving it's not static. Electrical systems on cars are changing dynamically. Knowledge that was standard in the 90s and 80s are totally useless today.
Re: Hyundai Accent Electronic Power Steering Problem by autologic: 8:54am On Jul 05, 2019
tensazangetsu20:

Yes the basics is very important but you must also do research before taking on any major issue. Even medical doctors after years of schooling still take to the internet to do basic research. Besides knowledge is ever evolving it's not static. Electrical systems on cars are changing dynamically. Knowledge that was standard in the 90s and 80s are totally useless today.
That is where training coming in to keep abreast of latest trend and add to your foundational knowledge .However, resourcesful and real trainings are not free .I myself go for offline and online courses from time to time to get better but I pay to get the real deal. The ones u see freely online are common knowledge and might be misleading atimes becos to post anything online is free, no censorship from anywhere .So on the internet ,even Satan himself can preach holiness and people will take the source as original. grin
Then it also depend on the peculiarity of that particular sector ,i was from IT& Elect background before pinching my tent in auto and I discovered there are tons and tons of accurate certified knowledgebase freely given on IT matter however on auto repair sector ,I see a lot of misleading and miseducation and even from the manufacturer charts especially if u want to go Tru the free route but why? The sector has been relegated to the background for artisans before for so long and doesn't have so many thorough bred professionals like we have in other sectors and very recent Introduction of computer controls and electronics in auto is what brought about the technology explosion that we are now seeing recently.The technology( computer control and electronics in auto ) is still at infancy stage and all these mistake are inevitable .
However ,learnin tru "Googling " is still ok for the rookies and DiY as half a bread is still better than nothing at all .

1 Like

Re: Hyundai Accent Electronic Power Steering Problem by AutoMoTech(m): 10:40am On Jul 05, 2019
autologic:

Kindly note that it was the EPS (Electronics power steering ) computer that set the code due to not getting up to the enough threshold voltage for proper operation . Alternator has already packed up and battery power will not be sufficient enough to power the EPS .
Note that for every module operation ,the most important source are the feed voltage and good ground,and below par ,it will start to malfunction .
Finally ,stop putting to much emphasize on codes codes cos it can lead you astray atimes ,endeavour to learn how things works electrically cos codes are mere algorithms and no way for algorithms to cover all aspect of a particular system malfunctions accurately ,you need electrical knowledge to make up for all shortcomings of codes . Electrical is still the foundation of whatever you see as codes or computer algorithms.
for nowadays cars o , electrical control the mechanical and without good electrical knowledge you can only be a part changer.
Electrical has taken over !
The question was why did the low voltage supply from the alternator only affect the EPS and not any other module? I have looked up the code initially and i suggested checking the battery and alternator. So thats resolved. Reason i asked the above question is what if the EPS has a bad ground, or there is a short in the coil windings? Or some other underlying issues? Why did no other module throw a code but only the EPS?
Re: Hyundai Accent Electronic Power Steering Problem by autologic: 10:56am On Jul 05, 2019
AutoMoTech:

The question was why did the low voltage supply from the alternator only affect the ESP and not any other module? I have looked up the code initially and i suggested checking the battery and alternator. So thats resolved. Reason i asked the above question is what if the ESP has a bad ground, or there is a short in the coil windings? Why did no other module throw a code but only the ESP?
Nice observation .All computers ( modules ) are very sensitive to voltage level ie threshold voltage . Threshold voltage in the sense that below a certain range it will shut down . However the threshold differs from modules to modules cos their functions differs .,EPS basic function is to directly drive and actuate steering motor assist for ease of steering function hence so much current is involved than what other actuator for other modules will normally consume .,therefore power level is too important for it function - Mathematically ,power = (Voltage × Current ) so what do u think will happen if the voltage level reduces due to a bad alternator ,power will drop too , which is why that EPS shut down cos it's own threshold has been faulted and other modules might still be surviving ,but I am also sure some modules especially abs and ecu too will start to flash code about " low voltage fault" but might not give up yet .
These is nothing like short or bad ground in this case o only low voltage .
Re: Hyundai Accent Electronic Power Steering Problem by AutoMoTech(m): 1:29pm On Jul 05, 2019
autologic:

Nice observation .All computers ( modules ) are very sensitive to voltage level ie threshold voltage . Threshold voltage in the sense that below a certain range it will shut down . However the threshold differs from modules to modules cos their functions differs .,EPS basic function is to directly drive and actuate steering motor assist for ease of steering function hence so much current is involved than what other actuator for other modules will normally consume .,therefore power level is too important for it function - Mathematically ,power = (Voltage × Current ) so what do u think will happen if the voltage level reduces due to a bad alternator ,power will drop too , which is why that EPS shut down cos it's own threshold has been faulted and other modules might still be surviving ,but I am also sure some modules especially abs and ecu too will start to flash code about " low voltage fault" but might not give up yet .
These is nothing like short or bad ground in this case o only low voltage .

first highlighted point makes sense and sure aligns with my line of thought. but i don't fully agree on the second until a test is carried to ascertain that under circuit stress we dont have voltage drop or a higher than expected resistance within that circuit. just for learning sake anyway.
Re: Hyundai Accent Electronic Power Steering Problem by autologic: 2:04pm On Jul 05, 2019
AutoMoTech:

first highlighted point makes sense and sure aligns with my line of thought. but i don't fully agree on the second until a test is carried to ascertain that under circuit stress we dont have voltage drop or a higher than expected resistance within that circuit. just for learning sake anyway.
If there were voltage drop issue in this case ,change of alternator will not solve it .Later I will show u the maximum current EPS motor can consume just to demonstrate the fact that EPS motor is a relatively big load .
Re: Hyundai Accent Electronic Power Steering Problem by tizteezy(m): 10:34am On May 18, 2022
And I was enjoying reading this thread, only to come to an abrupt end.

Senior men, kindly continue on the thread. It's educative.

Meanwhile, can a weak battery in an Hyundai Accent 2010 cause the car to go off at traffic lights sometimes, and more regularly when AC is on?.

Sometimes after driving for a while, the idle speed gets a bit rough and car shakes a bit?
Re: Hyundai Accent Electronic Power Steering Problem by Kdude: 7:36pm On Sep 27, 2022
Same here!
Re: Hyundai Accent Electronic Power Steering Problem by Kdude: 7:39pm On Sep 27, 2022
Stumbled here because the alternator and eps lights are on - Hyundai accent 2012

I only took the car to this workshop (tuished and well-equipped workshop) to fix the bottom plate leaking and other servicing.

Now I'm battling with eps light and alternator light.

(1) (Reply)

Intel Partners With Warner Bros To Bring Entertainment To Self-Driving Cars / No Plans To Increase Cost Of Road Worthiness Certificates – LASG / I Need Mechanic For Toyota Prius 2003 Hybrid The Battery Is Bad.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.