Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,415 members, 7,819,489 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:07 PM

Young Man Who Told Prof. Wole Soyinka To Stand Up From His Window Seat Revealed - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Young Man Who Told Prof. Wole Soyinka To Stand Up From His Window Seat Revealed (6193 Views)

Group Declares War Against Professor Wole Soyinka, To Boycott Books And Events / Soyinka To UN: Declare Nigeria As Protectorates To Stop Bandits ‘Slave Trade’ / Soyinka To Buhari: "You Can't Honour Abiola And Admire His Tormentor Abacha" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Young Man Who Told Prof. Wole Soyinka To Stand Up From His Window Seat Revealed by TundeBricklayer: 8:17am On Jun 25, 2019
Young man who told Prof. Wole Soyinka to stand up from his window seat on an airplane, finally speaks

The internet was set abuzz recently after Nigerian Business executive, Tonye Cole took to his Instagram page to share the encounter between a young Nigerian man and Nobel laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka on an airplane.

Tonye Cole had said Prof. Wole Soyinka got on the plane and took the window seat and when the young man, who was assigned the seat boarded, insisted Mr Soyinka leaves his seat.
Others on the plane, including the crew members, begged the young man to let the Nobel Laureate have his seat, but he insisted on sitting where he was assigned.

After sharing the story on his page, there were different reactions as to the encounter with some saying the young man should have had respect for the Professor and allowed him have the window seat.

The young man has now been identified as one Tosin Odunfa, tongue who took to the comment section of Mr. Tonye’s post to share his own side of the encounter. According to him, Prof. Wole Soyinka didn’t mind that he’d asked for his seat and was rather embarrassed by the attention Mr. Tonye and the rest of some passengers caused.
He revealed his reason for wanting to have his window seat and the manner in which he wrote, has earned him respect from a lot of people. He wrote,
I am the young guy! Yes the one in question with a baseball cap and t-shirt. I am unashamed to be at the prime of my youth infact I blushed a little bit after reading your decription of my chest and muscles. Is thanks to strong discipline that I live a fit life and I am able to go to the gym on my tight schedule.
Prof didnt mind getting up and infact he confided in me as we chatted later on the flight that he would have done the same and that he was more embarrassed by the undue attention. Prof and I actually have a few things in common, we are both in academia, I have a PhD in electrical engineering and teach nano electromagnetic theory at the University of Mannittawiw. He said to me that he thinks that Nigerian youth need to stand up more for themselves than we do and he spoke to me about the ideals they tried to promote when he cofounded a secret society in his youth . I have read up on him now and know for sure that Wole Soyinka is a great man but I sadly was not taught about him in school. We exchanged contact information and I will certainly stay in touch.
Please note that I am on the Autism spectrum and need the view from the window to keep me from getting sick on the plane hence my insisting on taking the window seat. Finally, Brother Tonye the words on your lap are very inspiring “Everything you want is on the other side of not giving up.
https://www.yabaleftonline.ng/young-man-told-prof-wole-soyinka-stand-window-seat-airplane-finally-speaks/

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Young Man Who Told Prof. Wole Soyinka To Stand Up From His Window Seat Revealed by TundeBricklayer: 8:20am On Jun 25, 2019
And some E-goats were attacking Igbos

Lalasticlala

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Young Man Who Told Prof. Wole Soyinka To Stand Up From His Window Seat Revealed by ryloy: 8:20am On Jun 25, 2019
And some people concluded here yesterday that the person must be from the east. ...all sorts unfounded postulations ..
"We don't bow to anybody
We are the only one that fight for our rights
We are republican
We are not ass lickers ''

But there is no school as "University of Mannittawiw"

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Young Man Who Told Prof. Wole Soyinka To Stand Up From His Window Seat Revealed by Naza25: 8:22am On Jun 25, 2019
The young man did nothing wrong, Nigerians don't just know how to mind their business. Always judgemental about other people's lives

6 Likes

Re: Young Man Who Told Prof. Wole Soyinka To Stand Up From His Window Seat Revealed by alizma: 8:23am On Jun 25, 2019
The guy did nothing wrong. Wole soyinka can't be calling our politicians thieves if he had expect the guy to just remain quiet while he robbed him off his right/choice.

5 Likes

Re: Young Man Who Told Prof. Wole Soyinka To Stand Up From His Window Seat Revealed by ideynl1: 8:24am On Jun 25, 2019
Watch how the Afonjas who have insulted Igbos avoid this tbread.

This respect Yoruba people claim to have for elders is a farce. I have not seen where a young, educated and rich Yoruba person will respect a poor elder. All those are farce.

19 Likes

Re: Young Man Who Told Prof. Wole Soyinka To Stand Up From His Window Seat Revealed by TundeBricklayer: 8:25am On Jun 25, 2019
ryloy:
And some people concluded here yesterday that the person must be from the east. ...all sorts unfounded postulations ..
"We don't bow to anybody
We are the only one that fight for our rights
We are republican
We are not ass lickers ''
Never do well in life always place their predicaments in life on Igbos, always chasing wrong direction while they are sinking

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Young Man Who Told Prof. Wole Soyinka To Stand Up From His Window Seat Revealed by kinzation(m): 8:25am On Jun 25, 2019
They should allow the guy be jare.... Na seat matter come be issue for naija

1 Like

Re: Young Man Who Told Prof. Wole Soyinka To Stand Up From His Window Seat Revealed by Valro(m): 8:25am On Jun 25, 2019
Las las, hustle o, make u fit tell person to stand from ur plane seat

4 Likes

Re: Young Man Who Told Prof. Wole Soyinka To Stand Up From His Window Seat Revealed by valentineuwakwe(m): 8:25am On Jun 25, 2019
Good one for you. .people will not knw the motive of your actions but they will be the first to criticize you....I like the gut and what Toney Cole said “Everything you want is on the other side of not giving up.....was the blast!

1 Like

Re: Young Man Who Told Prof. Wole Soyinka To Stand Up From His Window Seat Revealed by aolawale025: 8:25am On Jun 25, 2019
The good thing is. They eventually understood themselves

1 Like

Re: Young Man Who Told Prof. Wole Soyinka To Stand Up From His Window Seat Revealed by Born2Breed(f): 8:26am On Jun 25, 2019
They said if he is from their side he would have....

Unfortunately the guy is from their side n not an hypocrite. Who will first call their elders boda or aunty before insulting them...

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Young Man Who Told Prof. Wole Soyinka To Stand Up From His Window Seat Revealed by hisexcellency34: 8:28am On Jun 25, 2019
Shame on Tonye Cole. Shame on Mo Abudu and others who abused the guy

5 Likes

Re: Young Man Who Told Prof. Wole Soyinka To Stand Up From His Window Seat Revealed by IITTA50: 9:36am On Jun 25, 2019
A seat is also assigned to wole soyinka, why is he not taking his own seat? thats how they mess up nigeria

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Young Man Who Told Prof. Wole Soyinka To Stand Up From His Window Seat Revealed by BlackfireX: 10:24am On Jun 25, 2019
The idiot is an Igbo man they have no respect, they wake there elders with a kick, small money they will be insulting everybody...

Nothing anybody will tell me , he is an Igbo man, ojukwus brother, check his head,.
Re: Young Man Who Told Prof. Wole Soyinka To Stand Up From His Window Seat Revealed by guterKerl: 10:35am On Jun 25, 2019
Fake news still

1 Like

Re: Young Man Who Told Prof. Wole Soyinka To Stand Up From His Window Seat Revealed by izombie(m): 10:49am On Jun 25, 2019
This happened to me once. I came on board my flight and there was an old woman in my window seat. Because of her age i didn't even bother checking her seat number. I just sat down next in the middle seat. If not for the autism that tonye mentioned, i would have faulted him for not letting wole take the window seat. Not because he is soyinka but because he is an old man.

1 Like

Re: Young Man Who Told Prof. Wole Soyinka To Stand Up From His Window Seat Revealed by IkpuMmadu: 10:50am On Jun 25, 2019
Yoruba Get respect
Re: Young Man Who Told Prof. Wole Soyinka To Stand Up From His Window Seat Revealed by SarkinYarki: 10:55am On Jun 25, 2019
izombie:
This happened to me once. I came on board my flight and there was an old woman in my window seat. Because of her age i didn't even bother checking her seat number. I just sat down next in the middle seat. If not for the autism that tonye mentioned, i would have faulted him for not letting wole take the window seat. Not because he is soyinka but because he is an old man.

You lack sense .. under no circumstance should you allow somebody seat on alloted seat .do you even know the implication ? What if the woman set off a bomb from that seat ? Do you know in such a circumstance it's your name that will appear as the suspect on the news and not the old woman ..let's stop being emotional abeg and do the right thing ..Anytime your seat is robbed changed you must inform the cabin crew so they approve of it and document for posterity and your own good

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Young Man Who Told Prof. Wole Soyinka To Stand Up From His Window Seat Revealed by SarkinYarki: 11:11am On Jun 25, 2019
Tosin Odunfa was not the young man in question I repeat ..Tosins response was just sarcasm
Re: Young Man Who Told Prof. Wole Soyinka To Stand Up From His Window Seat Revealed by Uncleodi(m): 11:16am On Jun 25, 2019
The young guy shouldn't be crucified ooh.

His reasons are valid

1 Like

Re: Young Man Who Told Prof. Wole Soyinka To Stand Up From His Window Seat Revealed by TundeBricklayer: 11:17am On Jun 25, 2019
BlackfireX:
The idiot is an Igbo man they have no respect, they wake there elders with a kick, small money they will be insulting everybody...

Nothing anybody will tell me , he is an Igbo man, ojukwus brother, check his head,.
Iyabo, Gbenga Obasanjo and Kemi Olunloyo are Igbos right? These are Yoruba children that uses slaps to wake up their fathers, or do you want me to show you your tribesmen that used their parents for money rituals

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Young Man Who Told Prof. Wole Soyinka To Stand Up From His Window Seat Revealed by TundeBricklayer: 11:18am On Jun 25, 2019
SarkinYarki:
Tosin Odunfa was not the young man in question I repeat ..Tosins response was just sarcasm
Keep deceiving yourself

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Young Man Who Told Prof. Wole Soyinka To Stand Up From His Window Seat Revealed by SarkinYarki: 11:27am On Jun 25, 2019
TundeBricklayer:

Keep deceiving yourself

Where is the deceit ?
Re: Young Man Who Told Prof. Wole Soyinka To Stand Up From His Window Seat Revealed by naptu2: 11:29am On Jun 25, 2019
Fake news (rule 8 ).

Tosin Odunfa was not the person on the flight.

2 Likes

Re: Young Man Who Told Prof. Wole Soyinka To Stand Up From His Window Seat Revealed by BlackfireX: 11:39am On Jun 25, 2019
TundeBricklayer:

Iyabo, Gbenga Obasanjo and Kemi Olunloyo are Igbos right? These are Yoruba children that uses slaps to wake up their fathers, or do you want me to show you your tribesmen that used their parents for money rituals

No don't show me...
Re: Young Man Who Told Prof. Wole Soyinka To Stand Up From His Window Seat Revealed by EkperemoEgbabi: 1:24pm On Jun 25, 2019
Afonja. Na dem. Awon sophisticated

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Young Man Who Told Prof. Wole Soyinka To Stand Up From His Window Seat Revealed by Nobody: 1:24pm On Jun 25, 2019
"I have a PhD in electrical engineering and teach nano electromagnetic theory at the University of Mannittawiw."

please there is nothing like University of mannittawiw....

All my life as academics and versed in engineering aspect, I haven't heard of mannittawiw University...

Tosin odunfa , PhD holder and teaching electromagnetic theory....what rubbish....

He may be the young man ( I don't know) but the rest statement are irrelevant.
Re: Young Man Who Told Prof. Wole Soyinka To Stand Up From His Window Seat Revealed by egift465: 2:09pm On Jun 25, 2019
I think if we all do unto others as we want others to do unto us, large chunk of human problems would be solved.The crux of the matter is the seat.Taking things out of context by invoking statements like University of mannittawiw, tattoos(though Biblically wrong) and hair seem distracting.

1 Like

Re: Young Man Who Told Prof. Wole Soyinka To Stand Up From His Window Seat Revealed by HARDBUOI: 3:04pm On Jun 25, 2019
And he is finally a yoruba guy, after all the rubbish comments from yorubas
I like how y'all are making fool of urself online this forum, thank God for internet

3 Likes

Re: Young Man Who Told Prof. Wole Soyinka To Stand Up From His Window Seat Revealed by iluvdonjazzy: 3:36pm On Jun 25, 2019
well, if am the one o, I will quietly walk up to him, bring out my ticket, and quietly show him my seat number which accidentally he is sitting on. hope una dey feel me.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Imo: We Must Reject Agents Of Anarchy - Yemi Osinbajo / Kwara State Gov. Bukola Saraki's Criminal Past Surfaces / GEJ Vows To End Theft Of Crude Oil

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.