Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,077 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:36 AM

Had Biafra Succeeded Would It Have Been Successful - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Had Biafra Succeeded Would It Have Been Successful (9090 Views)

I Was Criticized During The Civil War But I Succeeded - Gowon Encourages Tinubu / IPOB Has Destroyed Nigeria And MNK Has Been Successful / How Nigeria Succeeded In Clipping Twitter's Wings - BBC News (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Had Biafra Succeeded Would It Have Been Successful by Abkreizi: 11:38am On Jun 25, 2019
For those who do not know Biafra it was a Country that was formed from the Eastern region formed from the present day Nigeria.

In January 1967, the military leaders Gowon, Chukwuemeka Ojukwu and senior police officials of each region met in Aburi, Ghana and agreed on a less centralized union of regions. The Northerners were at odds with this agreement that was known as the Aburi Accords; Obafemi Awolowo, the leader of the Western Region warned that if the Eastern Region seceded, the Western Region would also, which persuaded the northerners.

After returning to Nigeria, the federal government reneged on the agreement and unilaterally declared the creation of several new states including some that gerrymandered the Igbos in Biafra. On 26 May the Eastern Region voted to secede from Nigeria. Four days later, Ojukwu unilaterally declared the independence of the Republic of Biafra, citing the Easterners killed in the post-coup violence as reasons for secession.

Now, therefore, I, Lieutenant-Colonel Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu, Military Governor of Eastern Nigeria, by virtue of the authority, and pursuant to the principles, recited above, do hereby solemnly proclaim that the territory and region known as and called Eastern Nigeria together with her continental shelf and territorial waters shall henceforth be an independent sovereign state of the name and title of "The Republic of Biafra".
Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu

To be continued

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Had Biafra Succeeded Would It Have Been Successful by sweetonugbu: 11:42am On Jun 25, 2019
let the powers that be allow it first

1 Like

Re: Had Biafra Succeeded Would It Have Been Successful by ken6488(m): 12:05pm On Jun 25, 2019
Abkreizi:
For those who do not know Biafra it was a Country that was formed from the Eastern region formed from the present day Nigeria.

In January 1967, the military leaders Gowon, Chukwuemeka Ojukwu and senior police officials of each region met in Aburi, Ghana and agreed on a less centralized union of regions. The Northerners were at odds with this agreement that was known as the Aburi Accords; Obafemi Awolowo, the leader of the Western Region warned that if the Eastern Region seceded, the Western Region would also, which persuaded the northerners.

After returning to Nigeria, the federal government reneged on the agreement and unilaterally declared the creation of several new states including some that gerrymandered the Igbos in Biafra. On 26 May the Eastern Region voted to secede from Nigeria. Four days later, Ojukwu unilaterally declared the independence of the Republic of Biafra, citing the Easterners killed in the post-coup violence as reasons for secession.

Now, therefore, I, Lieutenant-Colonel Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu, Military Governor of Eastern Nigeria, by virtue of the authority, and pursuant to the principles, recited above, do hereby solemnly proclaim that the territory and region known as and called Eastern Nigeria together with her continental shelf and territorial waters shall henceforth be an independent sovereign state of the name and title of "The Republic of Biafra".
Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu

To be continued

Yes if south south was taken along wink
Re: Had Biafra Succeeded Would It Have Been Successful by udemzyudex(m): 12:07pm On Jun 25, 2019
Same way the Hausas and fulani are claiming they own Nigerian because of their population, that's exactly the same thing the igbos will do.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Had Biafra Succeeded Would It Have Been Successful by Abkreizi: 12:18pm On Jun 25, 2019
ken6488:

Yes if south south was taken along wink
I want us to analyse every sector
Economy
Power
Housing Education
Diplomacy
Religious Stability

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Had Biafra Succeeded Would It Have Been Successful by garfield1: 12:20pm On Jun 25, 2019
Abkreizi:

Economy
Power
Housing Education
Diplomacy
Religious Stability
Analyze the current state of the south east and get your answer

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Had Biafra Succeeded Would It Have Been Successful by Abkreizi: 12:23pm On Jun 25, 2019
garfield1:

Analyze the current state of the south east and get your answer

Well if you analyse the current state of the south east alone you wont get a near perfect answer because had they seceded there would have been frictions btw them and the federal government of Nigeria

Besides they have received Federal Allocations

They enjoy from our current international relations

Look at south sudan and eritrea for instance

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Had Biafra Succeeded Would It Have Been Successful by Officialgarri: 12:33pm On Jun 25, 2019
Like someone rightly said, the country would only be a success if they managed to go along with the South south.

The revenue in the South-east, asides mismanagement of fund, —is not enough for anything called a standard country.

1 Like

Re: Had Biafra Succeeded Would It Have Been Successful by Nobody: 12:35pm On Jun 25, 2019
It would have been challenging Malaysia, Singapore in terms of development.

Due to it's small landmass and huge resources plus similar religion, it would have been the paradise of Africa like USA

33 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Had Biafra Succeeded Would It Have Been Successful by Nobody: 12:36pm On Jun 25, 2019
Officialgarri:
Like someone rightly said, the country would only be a success if they managed to go along with the South south.

The revenue in the South-east, asides mismanagement of fund, —is not enough anything called a standard country.
very true, they would develop faster of ojukwu was a dictatorship with no room for corruption. Democracy can never work in Nigeria, let's keep lying to ourselves that we are one and united

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Had Biafra Succeeded Would It Have Been Successful by food4tot: 12:42pm On Jun 25, 2019
@OP

First thing you need to agree is the area and boundaries of Biafra.

I can easily argue that it would have failed if the boundary included the delta regions due to the tensions between Igbos, Ijaws, Efik, Ogoni, Ibibio, etc.

It would also fail if it excluded the above mentioned group because it would become a country surrounded by Nigeria. They would have to pay some sort of tax to Nigeria or agree with Nigeria to allow free flow of goods.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Had Biafra Succeeded Would It Have Been Successful by chiboyjohn: 12:47pm On Jun 25, 2019
Morrons are coming

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Had Biafra Succeeded Would It Have Been Successful by ken6488(m): 12:49pm On Jun 25, 2019
Abkreizi:

Economy
Power
Housing Education
Diplomacy
Religious Stability

You got my point

South south have all those you mentioned..

You should also add free access to the sea
Re: Had Biafra Succeeded Would It Have Been Successful by ken6488(m): 12:51pm On Jun 25, 2019
food4tot:
@OP

First thing you need to agree is the area and boundaries of Biafra.

I can easily argue that it would have failed if the boundary included the delta regions due to the tensions between Igbos, Ijaws, Efik, Ogoni, Ibibio, etc.

It would also fail if it excluded the above mentioned group because it would become a country surrounded by Nigeria. They would have to pay some sort of tax to Nigeria or agree with Nigeria to allow free flow of goods.

grin Be realistic bro I am not supporting anyone..

But you know majority of the south south state have access to the sea

1 Like

Re: Had Biafra Succeeded Would It Have Been Successful by Abkreizi: 12:51pm On Jun 25, 2019
ken6488:

You got my point

South south have all those you mentioned..

You should also add free access to the sea

But with minority suppression they might not want to join that union
Re: Had Biafra Succeeded Would It Have Been Successful by Officialgarri: 12:51pm On Jun 25, 2019
food4tot:

To further buttress your point, I'll cite an example.
I'm sure most of y'all have always heard that Nigeria gives (sells) electricity to Ghana, Togo..... While we suffer
It's basically because of our geographical position. Our refusal to meet their needs will make them to dam the waters, hence, no water and electricity for us.

With Biafran's geographical location, they would be choked to a fault that they would beg to return. I can assure you that, with all sense of leniency and pathetic favours, they would remit at least 25% of their revenue back to Nigeria. I mean if Nigeria shows them mercy. If not....

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Had Biafra Succeeded Would It Have Been Successful by Nbote(m): 12:52pm On Jun 25, 2019
It would have been a huge success... Remember back den d South East region included all of d nowSouth South states including Cross River, Rivers and Delta state. If dey could come up with their own innovations and tech to fight dat war, den dey would have achieved a lot by now on tgeir own as a nation..

13 Likes

Re: Had Biafra Succeeded Would It Have Been Successful by Abkreizi: 12:55pm On Jun 25, 2019
Officialgarri:

I'm sure most of y'all have always heard that Nigeria gives (sells) electricity to Ghana, Togo..... While we suffer
It's basically because of our geographical position. Our refusal to meet their needs will make them to dam the waters, hence, no water and electricity for us.

With Biafran's geographical location, they would be choked to a fault that they would beg to return. I can assure you that, with all sense of leniency and pathetic favours, they would remit at least 25% of their revenue back to Nigeria. I mean if Nigeria shows them mercy. If not....

Exactly they would have to be some sort of peace accord which Nigeria would not have given easily...
Re: Had Biafra Succeeded Would It Have Been Successful by Nobody: 12:58pm On Jun 25, 2019
Nbote:
It would have been a huge success... Remember back den d South East region included all of d nowSouth South states including Cross River, Rivers and Delta state. If dey could come up with their own innovations and tech to fight dat war, den dey would have achieved a lot by now on tgeir own as a nation..
Biafra didn't include delta state, stop this nonsense

3 Likes

Re: Had Biafra Succeeded Would It Have Been Successful by Nobody: 12:59pm On Jun 25, 2019
Officialgarri:

so the rest of Nigeria would have still be one? You are naive

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Had Biafra Succeeded Would It Have Been Successful by ken6488(m): 1:14pm On Jun 25, 2019
Abkreizi:

[s]
But with minority suppression they might not want to join that union[/s]

You are right

Yeah most south south elite don't want to join the union...
Because of that
Re: Had Biafra Succeeded Would It Have Been Successful by helinues: 1:16pm On Jun 25, 2019
Make I grab my popcorn

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Had Biafra Succeeded Would It Have Been Successful by garfield1: 1:24pm On Jun 25, 2019
Abkreizi:

Well if you analyse the current state of the south east alone you wont get a near perfect answer because had they seceded there would have been frictions btw them and the federal government of Nigeria

Besides they have received Federal Allocations

They enjoy from our current international relations

Look at south sudan and eritrea for instance
Then they would end up like south sudan
Re: Had Biafra Succeeded Would It Have Been Successful by food4tot: 1:27pm On Jun 25, 2019
Would people in Rivers state consider themselves part of Biafra?
Re: Had Biafra Succeeded Would It Have Been Successful by garfield1: 1:28pm On Jun 25, 2019
Nbote:
Forcefully including the ss is why it failed in the beginning.it may have succeeded if it was only the igbos that seceded.if it had still succeeded with the ass included,ss would have revolted later on leading to more fragmentation
Re: Had Biafra Succeeded Would It Have Been Successful by garfield1: 1:32pm On Jun 25, 2019
Officialgarri:

The revenue in the South-east, asides mismanagement of fund, —is not enough for anything called a standard country.
No wonder you guys always attach yourself to ss.over 80%of ss are heavily against biafra.instead,we prefer to agitate for a new country differently or remain in nigeria
Re: Had Biafra Succeeded Would It Have Been Successful by tartar9(m): 1:35pm On Jun 25, 2019
By biafra you should mean the SE and the SE only.Even now after surviving from decades of oil revenue allocations from the Niger-Delta,what have they been able to achieve? Without being in Nigeria,they would have been much much worse off.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Had Biafra Succeeded Would It Have Been Successful by Nobody: 1:38pm On Jun 25, 2019
Officialgarri:

You from Ebonyi and if I attack based on this nonsense you wrote.....Many will cry foul of me not been fair .

I wonder why you can't make a reasonable comment. What is the meaning of what u just wrote..

2 Likes

Re: Had Biafra Succeeded Would It Have Been Successful by garfield1: 1:38pm On Jun 25, 2019
Abkreizi:

But with minority suppression they might not want to join that union
The ss people are no more minorities.we currently outnumber the igbos numerically.the ijaws alone have a domineering voice.juliusmalema,i can see you peeping.
Re: Had Biafra Succeeded Would It Have Been Successful by Nobody: 1:40pm On Jun 25, 2019
garfield1:

The ss people are no more minorities.we currently outnumber the igbos numerically.the ijaws alone have a domineering voice.juliusmalema,i can see you peeping.

Lolzzzzzzzz... .......just reading..
Re: Had Biafra Succeeded Would It Have Been Successful by Abkreizi: 1:40pm On Jun 25, 2019
garfield1:

I said had they joined.....
If they had joined the union they wouldn't have grown like this
Re: Had Biafra Succeeded Would It Have Been Successful by Nobody: 1:43pm On Jun 25, 2019
garfield1:

Leave Igbos out of your numerical strength. We don't give a damn, only the emotional ones do.

4 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Confession: Haliru Says Ibb, Buhari, Atiku Etc Are The Sponsors Of Boko Haram / Zodaic Signs: Date Of Birth, Know The Type Of Human You Are / Photos: Ambode Receives Korean Ambassador

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.