Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,416 members, 7,822,935 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:50 PM

The Accidental Beggar - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Accidental Beggar (345 Views)

Accidental Witness (morelli Family #1) By Sam Mariano / Accidental Brother (book One) / Sophia Amaka's Story: Accidental Baby Mama(a Fan Fiction) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Accidental Beggar by Sezioha(m): 3:39pm On Jun 30, 2019
I’ve always been the centre of attention all my life. It was nothing new; right from primary school, to secondary school and even to university, people always stared at me. And no, I’m not gloriously handsome; I just can’t walk well—I use crutches to aid my walking. My legs are bent at the knees. Anywhere I went, people would stare at me with pity, or disgust, or something else I couldn’t place. Don’t get me wrong, I am not sad about my condition, neither am I looking for pity. I’m merely starting like this so you would understand the story I’m about to tell; the most hilarious day of my entire stay in Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka.

First of all, my stay in Unizik (that’s the popular name of my alma mater) was almost always eventful. But I’m telling this particular story because of the misconceptions people have about disabled people. When I was coming to Awka for the first time, many people expressed their concerns about how I would cope with the rigors of school; they offered a myriad of advices and suggestions about how I would cope. Some even opined that I came from my house in Onitsha (can you believe that?), others advised my parents to find a maid for me, the rest just told me to make friends with those that would help me out.

Suffice it to say that I found a way to survive, I had my tough moments, but I was able to surmount them. I also had a lot of help from friends, most especially, Loveth, my best friend. I mentioned Loveth because she was of great help to me, both academically and physically, often helping me with my oftentimes heavy bag.

Read more on:

https://www.thezenpens.com/2019/06/30/the-accidental-beggar/

(1) (Reply)

The Hustle / New Book Alert: Download A Free Copy Of The Judas Web / The Absence Of Love...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.